Please let us manage our youth/B tactics properly!

I'm genuinely not sure why this isn't already an option, but it would be so nice if we could set the tactics our youth and B teams play with.

As far as I can tell, right now, those teams either just play with whatever tactic the youth team manager likes, or they play with your main squad's tactics.  Lots of good main squads will be using tactics built around specific players, often using roles that are not suitable for most players (like Regista or Complete Forward), so in my youth setup I'm stuck having to make some poor teenager play in a role really poor for his development.

It would be nice to set up a different tactic for those squads to best suit the development those youth players

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, tiago_wakabayashi said:

In old fms you could check a box that used to ask you if  Reserves/Youth teams could use the same tactic from main team. Could have an option in Responsabilities to set the tactics of those teams.

From what i know, youth teams automatically uses the main team tactics unless you take control of the training

On 30/08/2024 at 15:37, snowofman said:

From what i know, youth teams automatically uses the main team tactics unless you take control of the training

Even if I take control of youth training (as I usually do) I can't find a way to customize my youth tactics.  The youth is locked into whatever my first team is running.  Same formation, same roles, same instructions.

It's maddening. 

1 hour ago, nms1987 said:

Even if I take control of youth training (as I usually do) I can't find a way to customize my youth tactics.  The youth is locked into whatever my first team is running.  Same formation, same roles, same instructions.

It's maddening. 

it is true that you can't "customize" the youth tactics per say. But you can let the staff have training control and make one of your main squad tactics into what you want the youth to train

and then set it to that in the youth team overview page.

(in all honestly, i remebered it as if you had control you could pick, but seems it's the other way around)

On 03/09/2024 at 23:34, nms1987 said:

It's maddening. 

Your youth teams should be using the same tactics as your first team, that way they'll be ready to come into the first team with good tactical familiarity. I don't really get your anger... under what circumstance would you gain any benefit from playing a different tactic in your youth team over your successful first team tactics? 

19 hours ago, MagicHat said:

Your youth teams should be using the same tactics as your first team, that way they'll be ready to come into the first team with good tactical familiarity. I don't really get your anger... under what circumstance would you gain any benefit from playing a different tactic in your youth team over your successful first team tactics? 

As per my earlier original post.... Often a first team tactic of a good squad is built around certain special players, in roles not suited to most players ... like Complete Forward, or Regista.

My youth teams are often not going to have guys capable of playing those roles well.  I'd be much better off playing guys as basic DMs or AFs and letting them develop from there.

Good clubs also often develop more good players than they will ever use in their main squad.  Better to develop a guy into a good BWM and sell him than have him spend 3 years playing Regista poorly.

I also frequently tweak my first team tactic, or even change between a couple formations, based on an upcoming match or to get something else out of my squad.  If you do that with your first team you then have to go in adjust lineups of your youth teams to make sure they still make sense after a change, its tedious.  And, since I might be changing formations or tactics 3 years from now I don't need a 17 year old to be playing any specific kind of ball right now.  Better to make him a good player and then he fits in for me when he is ready in a few years.

Additionally, if you've got a B team you need to keep them in their league or, hopefully, get them promoted.  While development comes first you might be trying to win some games there too, so it would be nice to tweak as needed.  In real life, many B and reserve teams operate with different tactics to their main squad.

I also don't find it takes that long to bring a guy up to tactical speed with my main club, it certainly doesn't take years.  I'd rather develop him as a good player and then once he is ready bring him into first team training, give him a role and bring him along.  Pro footballers often play for 2 or even 3 coaches in the same season, often with different philosophies and figure it out just fine.  My youth teamers don't need to learn only one specific way of playing ball

Edited by nms1987