Positional Play and Shifting

Was reading the byline article today and had an idea/suggestion?/question? related to the blending of positional elements and overloads. Maybe someone here has done this with the current instructions. I'm not savvy enough to know how each TI/PI interacts with these sorts of roles.

We know the great improvement this year was the intelligent movement of players to adapt their positions relative to other teammates. For me it was one of the biggest steps forward in the match engine in a long time. With it though, I think came the loss of truly being able to overload an area without some Frankenstein formations. It's still possible for sure but players tend to keep their distances at equal-ish intervals.

What came to my mind was either a team or player instruction to dictate how much space you want between two/three/four(!) players that want to move into the same space. For instance the example they used had an AM-APs Mez-a and IFs on the right side. In my experience they'll all be someone equidistant across the AM strata. Notable the AMC APs will move into the AMCL slot more often than not.

But suppose I wanted to really draw the opposition to that side to release the left sided winger or draw the LCB and RB more into that space to give the forward a diagonal pass in behind. I want those three to move together and combine and start drawing more defenders towards them rather than make it a series of 1v1s.

I should note that as a personal preference I do not play asymmetric formations because the AI cannot and I think it causes some confusion in the ME. So sticking the AMC in the AMCR slot would not be an option for me.

You are right with your interpretation that positional shifts make it very difficult to get your players overload an area. 

Just an idea, you may try CARs instead of MEZa. This will not shift your APs to the left side. You will possibly lose the width of MEZ but can keep his forward runs with the get forward PI for the CAR.