Formation screen as Defensive positions?

Posted (edited)

Hi all, having played previous versions, I’ve been reading that the formation screen is the way your team sets up defensively while the roles define the attacking patterns. Does that apply still to FM24? Also, what’s the difference between the 4231 with DM’s and the 4231 with MC’s? Thanks!

Edited by markoconnell

Yeah it's the same. The difference between 4231 DM and cms, is it's easier to get you dms to act like cms without sacrificing the space between the defense and midfield. Also leaves space for your number 10 to drop deeper to find space if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but not exactly that.

What you gotta have in mind is that the formation screen is the starting point of the players, either on offense or defence.

Normally, people dont thinker much in defence, so the formation screen end up being how the team sets up defensively. However, its possible to tinker with press to have another defensive set up.

For instance, I was able to use individual pressing to put the AMC in a 4-2-3-1 to press very high and personally mark an opponent defender, turning the 4-2-3-1 in a 4-2-4 in defence. My top 4 personally pressed the opponent's back 4 in the build-up.