Steve Clarke's Mannschaft: We'll Be Coming!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting everyone over. You gotta embrace the qualifcaition. Plus it's fun for me either way. Youse win and I get to enjoy all my friends being happy, youse lose and I get to be all smug and patronising like only an Englishman can.

This would be my starting XI.  I'm not convinced Hanley is fit so I have gone with Porteous.  Obviously McGinn and McTominay aren't wide midfielders so it would be more of a diamond in midfield.  Adams gets the nod up front.  I don't really rate Ralston but there isn't really anybody else.

image.png.eec3aacc8530e716a807d77fb87bc2e6.png

Scotland at Euro 2024: Choose your starting XI for Germany opener - BBC Sport

I think our fate rests on the Switzerland and Hungary matches, so I'm going to be more positive with my line-up against Germany. 

Pick your Scotland XI generated

I fear that playing with one centre-forward will hurt us, because they usually end up quite isolated in games where we don't have much of the ball. I'd be wanting to try and push up against Germany's backline a bit more, and perhaps see if a pairing up front helps to bring out the best in our forwards. Without Dykes, I just don't think any of the strikers are suited to playing as a lone frontman, hence we should adapt. When you take out a player like Ryan Christie from the midfield, I don't think it hurts us too much anyway. 

Loving all the travel stories, far and wide. Disasters and successes, even a few surprises from Facebook friends making the trip.

Germany is going to be full of Scottish fans, buzzing.

11 hours ago, Hairycull said:

5 4 1 and park the bus. We will get a couple of chances so let's hope we can take them.

Please God no :D

We have two big problems: we aren't great up front, so those couple of chances probably won't be enough for us to get a goal against top sides, and simultaneously we're infirm at the back so sitting in against quality opponents is pretty much asking to concede.

I'd much rather have a go and lose than play negatively and still lose. I might be hopelessly naive but I want to see a bit more ambition. Do not want to be going home after a couple of narrow defeats where we don't get a goal and a no score bore draw.

Appreciate that this is proper heart versus head, pie in the sky chat but we're on the eve of a major tournament, let's dream a little :D

I reckon Switzerland and Hungary will draw. So if we could steal a win against the Swiss, and a draw against Hungary, and Germany do the business in the three games, then we could finish second with four points. I don't think that's unrealistic. That's what I'm crossing my fingers for. Not easy by any means, but not entirely beyond us. 

I just think Gilmour has to play tomorrow so we can keep hold of the ball with the attacking threat coming from McGinn, McTominay and Adams.  There is huge pressure on Germany to get off to a good start so the longer we can frustrate them the better.

Just now, metallimuse said:

We’re f*cking dreadful. And aye we’re playing the tournament 5th faves with 10 men but we’re pure pish. 5-4-0? It’s like the Harry Potter days.

I worry that unless we can put this game behind us very quickly, the hangover from it is going to see us get skelped in the next two games too.

I'm hoping this forces a change of mentality ahead of our next game. We need to be on the front foot and aggressive from the start against the Swiss. Have to hold out some hope that we can get our act together and improve.

Most interesting thing will be if he goes back to the 5-4-1 that he started this game with. It was worked out so easily by Germany, but the Swiss obviously won't be at the same level.

Absolutely grim stuff tonight. We were so bad in all areas. Germany are much better than us but they're not world-beaters, yet we made them look like it.

Gunn had a horrorshow in goal, Hendry and Porteous were totally exposed at this level, midfield were sat far too deep and were overrun by Germany and bypassed by our keeper and defence, and up front we were totally isolated and ineffective.

Oh well, the only way is up from here. Right?

7 minutes ago, gothenburg83 said:

Well that was total garbage. Ralston, Porteous and Gunn reserved for special mention!

Oh and Clarke for that tactical sh1tshow!

Don't think Ralston was particularly bad to be honest, certainly not the worst offender in a Scotland shirt.

10 minutes ago, eenie said:

Don't think Ralston was particularly bad to be honest, certainly not the worst offender in a Scotland shirt.

Ralston just isn't very good. Hard to criticise a guy that is way down the pecking order. He'll give his all every game, but I expect he'll be targeted by every opposition team.

41 minutes ago, gothenburg83 said:

Oh and Clarke for that tactical sh1tshow!

I dinnae ken wit aspect you’re referring to but going 5-4-0 after half time and the sending off and then bringing on a striker last 10 mins…wit was the point of that? Pure mental.

Honestly, folks in here have been overly critical of Clarke at times in my opinion (no saying you @gothenburg83 even though I’ve quoted you) but that was a pure baffling decision.

The start we had to qualifying and the fact he’s taken us to consecutive finals is brilliant but if we get pumped the next two games I’m honestly gunna start thinking “Clarke out”.

1 hour ago, StevehFC said:

IMG_9463.thumb.jpeg.5f53a56540cbe8a55722838ec4729e74.jpeg

Pros: 

Great Stadium, food and drink were fantastic. 

Cons:

Ryan Porteous and Scotland ruining a good day. 

Lovely. And as expected, the Scottish fans were awesome. I loved the wild celebrations after the late goal to make it 1-4 with the game long decided.

That was pish. Peeps at mines were defending Gunn but I think he shoulda had two of them goals at least. Youse need to go two up top with Shankers and forget about any 5-4-1 pish without Dykes as it's not gonna work with the players you have. As also mentioned above the tactical switches and subs in the second half made no ****en sense either and Clarke looked welly out of his depth.

However, as I said to my pals: this was a free hit, it was always about Switzerland on Wednesday and gaol difference doesn't matter.

I think last night we looked a team that just aren't fit, physically and mentally.

A lot of players have been injured recently. Some players lack game time. And half the team it seems don't even have clubs right now.

I don't think we could have won that game regardless of how we played. 

However, clarke did **** up with the midfield. There was no holding midfielder and the gap between the defence and midfield was therefore too big. The germans found tonnes of room there and our defenders when they had the ball had nobody to pass to except ralson and Robertson who got closed down immediately.

The Plan was terrible.  A 5-4-1 with no width, so Germany could go down the sides and pull central players out.  Then no one to hold up the ball, literally no one when Adams was subbed.  Honestly, an orthodox 4-4-2 with two targets up top would have worked better.   May not have won but there would at least have been some coverage and threat. 

9 hours ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Lovely. And as expected, the Scottish fans were awesome. I loved the wild celebrations after the late goal to make it 1-4 with the game long decided.

A lot of people in the section I was in left at half time. The celebrations at the end were brilliant. i stayed to the end. I can now say I’ve seen Scotland score a goal at a major tournament.m even if we end up going out at the group stage next week. :D

Flying home today then back out on Tuesday for Switzerland in Cologne and hoping we get points needed. 

2 hours ago, StevehFC said:

A lot of people in the section I was in left at half time. The celebrations at the end were brilliant. i stayed to the end. I can now say I’ve seen Scotland score a goal at a major tournament.m even if we end up going out at the group stage next week. :D

Flying home today then back out on Tuesday for Switzerland in Cologne and hoping we get points needed. 

I turned it off at the red card but I can't believe people left thr ground at that time after spending the money that some did to get there.

I am assuming flying home and then back was cheaper for you than staying in Germany?

2 hours ago, Hairycull said:

I turned it off at the red card but I can't believe people left thr ground at that time after spending the money that some did to get there.

I am assuming flying home and then back was cheaper for you than staying in Germany?

Indeed, cheaper flying in and out after the first game. :D

That was so poor on Friday night.  Clarke has since come out and said that he gave the players too much information!  He got the selection wrong for a start, Gilmour had to play so we could keep hold of the ball.  I don't think it would have mattered too much though because there were just too many poor performances.  Like @Hairycull says, plenty of players are returning from injury so it is hard to be too harsh on some of them and it does feel like Clarke set them up to fail with those tactics.  I think Adams is still trying to touch the ball now!  I would be surprised if we can comeback from such a poor performance but we have to find a way if we are going to have any chance of at least restoring a bit of pride.

I think we're heading out. There's just nothing I can point to that gives me any hope. A combination of factors, from half-fit players to those who are missing altogether, to Clarke's insistence of trying to make a tactic work that doesn't have the right personnel, we're not really in with much of a shout of beating either of the remaining opponents.