How to Create a Double Pivot in Build-Up Play with an Attacking Fullback?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on creating a double pivot in my build-up play using specific roles and duties. I have two versions of my tactic that achieve this in a 3-2-4-1 shape during build-up, but I want to replicate the same formation using a different setup.

Tactic A: Libero Approach In the first version (Image A), I create the double pivot by using one of the centre backs as a Libero. The Libero steps up into midfield alongside my defensive midfielder during the build-up phase.

Tactic B: Inverted Wing-Back Approach In the second version (Image B), I achieve the double pivot by giving one of the full-backs an Inverted Wing-Back role. This role brings the full-back infield alongside my defensive midfielder in the build-up.

Now, I want to maintain the same defensive shape (4-3-3) but with an attacking full-back (Image C). My question is: What role should I give my support midfielder to act as a pivot alongside my DM during the build-up?

I've been experimenting but haven't quite nailed it yet. Any suggestions on roles and duties that would help me achieve this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ABC.jpg

Any of the roles with a defend duty would work best. DLP if you want them to be creative, BWM if you want them to be a tackler, CM if you are looking for a little of both.

If you find they drop a little too deep for you then you have the option to change all of them to a support duty as well to let them move slightly higher.

On 12/06/2024 at 14:03, GonzaloFlores said:

Any of the roles with a defend duty would work best. DLP if you want them to be creative, BWM if you want them to be a tackler, CM if you are looking for a little of both.

If you find they drop a little too deep for you then you have the option to change all of them to a support duty as well to let them move slightly higher.

Would a RPM or AP with hold position, drop deep in the first phase to form the pivot as well? I imagine a support playmaker would tend to gravitate toward the ball at least in the first phase

On 17/06/2024 at 03:39, bandodiaries said:

Would a RPM or AP with hold position, drop deep in the first phase to form the pivot as well? I imagine a support playmaker would tend to gravitate toward the ball at least in the first phase

They should do as long as they have the right traits (drops deep to collect the ball etc.). They won't stay in that pivot for as long though so you might find them charging forward more. Again it depends on what you want to see from your team. The more attacking the role/duty you use, the more chance they have of affecting the game up the pitch but also the bigger gap they leave behind to be exploited on the counter. I would personally change the role depending on the opposition. Away to Real Madrid and I'm going with a CM(d) or BWM(d). At home in the cup to a lower division team then throw in a RPM and see what they can add to the final third.