Lowering number of teams in a league, keeping everything else untouched

Hi guys, I want to lower Serbian Super League number of teams from 16 to 10, but to keep everything else the same. If I go to create new nation rules, all the default rules for that league are lost? Is there a way I can overcome that?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bentfi said:

Try this first and see if this is what you want, I will explain later.

SerbiaSuperLeague10Teams.fmf 21.61 kB · 1 download

That's great! I'll try to figure out how you did that, because I'd like to dig deep and edit more things, but this one is the foundation of the thigns I'd like to edit.

EDIT: Or you can briefly explain to me how did you do that :D

Edited by dzordzbest
Forgot

20 minutes ago, dzordzbest said:

That's great! I'll try to figure out how you did that, because I'd like to dig deep and edit more things, but this one is the foundation of the thigns I'd like to edit.

EDIT: Or you can briefly explain to me how did you do that :D

If you Add Nation Rules, the wizard has two options:

1. Create New Competitions And Rules
  2. Add Lower Divisions And Cups To Existing Structure

Most of the time you pick the bottom one, what it means is you get full access to the existing structure.

To edit a league that already exist, you would need to Convert To Advanced Rules

To change the number of teams, you need to do that in the Nation(Serbia) and the Competition(Serbian SuperLeague). If you want to edit the Serbian SuperLeague, you would need to change the Show Rules For to Serbian SuperLeague.

showRulesFor.thumb.png.1f623f9df9d439f1d54cc0b68e364ab3.png

This should have answered your first question, lets see how you get on to this, if you need help just type here.

Okay, so, before going to rules, I removed the clubs I don't want anymore (assigned them to No league). Then I went for the bottom option for the rules. Changed the required teams numbers and removed play-offs and play-outs. When testing the rules, I get an error "Could not find rules for division with 10 teams".

Sorry, I locked myself out of my home just now:applause:

First, I suggest you to save before removing the play-offs because you would like to have them there to retain the structure. Also, even when I don't change anything meaningfully(I only changed minimum team from 16 to 10), I am hit with this and failed the verification.

changeMinimumTeams.thumb.png.3e4b221c70833229b870f9b54619a30c.png

Screenshot2024-06-18015255.thumb.png.7164290b5851e3554d727441ec01e7a9.png

To counter this, under Serbia > Fixture Rules > Rule 1 FIRST > Squad Registration Periods you should copy the Squad Registration Periods using the top left hand side Edit > Copy (Squad Registration Periods) and paste it under Serbia > Fixture Rules > Rule 17 > Squad Registration Periods.

The short answer for why is because of squad registration and with you goal in mind, you probably won't be editing squad registration.

4 hours ago, dzordzbest said:

Okay, so, before going to rules, I removed the clubs I don't want anymore (assigned them to No league). Then I went for the bottom option for the rules. Changed the required teams numbers and removed play-offs and play-outs. When testing the rules, I get an error "Could not find rules for division with 10 teams".

Removing the clubs is right, changing the required teams numbers is also right and removing play-offs and play-outs(I have no idea what this is, is this the league split?) is a good way to deducing the problem. However, in this case, it might make things more complex, since there are league splits involved and you would need to remove them too, which complicate things too much, I would advice you to just keep things as is and just change the number of teams.

The error says that it could not find rules for division with 10 teams, but when you revert back to 16 teams with the change I mentioned, it should verify, so what is wrong here?

The logical thing to say would be either rules are defined by the number of teams or you have not changed all the settings that makes 10 teams work, since I made it work.

For rules, you could easily find Youtube guides online and after that, you could decide which one is the case here.

P.S. Do you know what each stages do?