Newcastle Midfield

Hello all 

I'm looking for a bit of tactical advice

I'm playing a 4-3-3 with Newcastle but the 3 in midfield don't seem to function well

Bruno is playing as a deep lying playmaker on support in the DM position but has an average of 6.7

Joelinton is playing as a box to box in the MC position average of 6.8

Tonali is playing as Central Midfielder Attack and is averaging 6.6

Is it just they are not very good or am I missing something ?

47 minutes ago, fumaca09 said:

Hello all 

I'm playing a 4-3-3 with Newcastle but the 3 in midfield don't seem to function well

Bruno is playing as a deep lying playmaker on support in the DM position but has an average of 6.7

post tactic, very good players.

41 minutes ago, fumaca09 said:

I'll post it when I get home

In terms of how they will set up next year...I would recommend a Regista screened by a BWM(s) + MEZ(s).

Roles + Tis around them will still be pivotal but that should play to their individual strengths. 

Edited by Cloud9

2 hours ago, fumaca09 said:

Hello all 

But you are only judging their performance from their ratings? The way ratings system works in FM is a little weird and sometimes not really reflective of player's performance. Maybe they are just not getting assists? But is your tactic in general successful? Are you winning games? Those are the questions I would ask before looking at ratings. Or are you even watching the matches on more than comprehensive highlights to really see what your midfield is doing?

For example, I used to have IW who was constantly getting low ratings because he was not scoring or assisting on goals, but was playing an amazing part in my tactic with chipping in with key passes that would contribute to our build up. 

Edited by crusadertsar

5 hours ago, fumaca09 said:

Maybe I am being too picky

6.6 on a CM(a) might be an area to look at in the underlying numbers, but if things are going very well...no need to fix what isn't broken.

Edited by Cloud9

im using something very similar, Bruno on dm DLPs, Joelinton cm BWMs on the wb's side (B2B if facing weaker teams), Willock on MEZa on the lcm

Surprisingly, Willock is having the best performance out of the 3. 

For Tonali, I feel like he's a mix of Bruno+Joelinton. I still can't figure out how these 3 can work together

7 hours ago, fumaca09 said:

I was wondering if a flat 3 would work better rather than having Bruno as a DM ?

I wouldn't recommend making big changes when things are working well and a flat 3 would struggle to influence games as the league leader. It's a shape that you might adopt when under heavy pressure in a relegation battle. 

10 hours ago, BrunosTaxi said:

im using something very similar, Bruno on dm DLPs, Joelinton cm BWMs on the wb's side (B2B if facing weaker teams), Willock on MEZa on the lcm

Surprisingly, Willock is having the best performance out of the 3. 

For Tonali, I feel like he's a mix of Bruno+Joelinton. I still can't figure out how these 3 can work together

Willock is an archetypal MEZ(a), creativity, pace, dribbling...and it sounds like you've set up the other two in conservative roles to do the hard yards for him. As @crusadertsar mentions, roles that get end product will frequently see higher ratings. Tonali is a hard working 8, he won't get those flash numbers that Willock can produce but provides much more out of possession. IRL Newcastle's midfield is in transition and they heavily on Bruno Guimaraes (more so than you'd see with a DLP(s)) for defensive numbers and end product...but there is a lack of a creative 8 (Willocks influence is a bit overstated in game). 

I would suggest playing around with midfield 3 combinations that fit how you'd like to see the game played. Here are some sample midfield 3's that you could experiment with. 

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-06-18at11_22_23AM.png.1e279d89076eb7460d1e4bd57399a5b1.png

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-06-18at11_22_52AM.png.913072410a9beff75bee4dcf043f74df.png

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-06-18at11_23_24AM.png.339ea491347629ec37d78196adcece24.png

Edited by Cloud9

13 hours ago, fumaca09 said:

RPM in the DM role ?

Yes it can work here, but w/Positional Play he will rotate forward through stratas as play progresses. You would likely need plenty of cover for his position as he rotates, perhaps a 3 at the back + libero(d) would be appropriate. 

Regista is a much more typical DM (does not venture too far forward) and does not trigger a rotation. He offers a much more expansive passing range than you would get on a DLP(s), which can help to take advantage of a clear star player in your setup. 

Edited by Cloud9