[FM24] RoPS: Bringing 3-4-3 to Santa Claus Village

Rikulec

4QlNPe4.jpeg

[FM24] RoPS: Bringing 3-4-3 to Santa Claus Village

Hello there, FMCU. Welcome to my third and hopefully final FM24 career thread. This time I'm inspired by my recent visit at the HJK academy and first team in Helsinki, as well as the growing popularity of the formation mentioned in the thread title across European football. As per usual, there's absolutely no guarantee that I won't get bored or frustrated halfway through.

The Aim

Take a third tier Finnish side RoPS as high as possible, using a tactical system based on the 3-4-3 formation both in the attacking and defending phase, which is something I haven't really done on FM before. At the same time, I'll be trying to employ a recruitment strategy that's as realistic as possible based on the club's geographical location and stature at any given moment, which will hopefully see some evolution if I manage to be successful.

The Manager

V6Xjw6A.png

A forward-thinking 29-year-old born in Rovaniemi, who has been following the newest trends and developments in European football with great fascination. With the UEFA A licence to his name and some experience in youth football, he's ready to take his hometown club back to the heights of the Finnish game.

The Save

lqIRoB6.png

Most notably, I've loaded all Nordic and Baltic leagues as well as a mix of other European top divisions. Finland is active down to the 5th tier thanks to a file from the Steam workshop.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - New Club - Rovaniemen Palloseura

3JlQAEE.png

There's a clear trend in Finnish football now that allows young, inexperienced managers to prove their worth. Here's another promising one.

The club itself has a bit of a history with two Suomen Cups to their name, the most recent one in 2013. They also finished runners-up in the Veikkausliiga twice, in 2015 and 2018, however they couldn't make that final step and become the champions of Finland. They also reached the quarter finals of the European Cup Winners' Cup back in the 1987/88 season before losing to Marseille. However, they ran into some trouble recently and now they're nothing more than a local semi-pro side based just a few kilometres south of the Arctic Circle.

Club Name: Rovaniemen Palloseura
Nickname: -
Year Founded: 1950
Stadium: Rovaniemen keskuskenttä (3,203 capacity, 2,003 seated)

ue4tclI.png

gCVtmsm.png

Aside from Samuel Olabisi (who also happens to be our only player on a proper contract), we're basically a team of local kids. A vast majority of our players are either our own academy products or youngsters brought in from nearby clubs, which is probably exactly what I should expect given our current standing. The most promising picks of the bunch seem to be Tino KorhonenRiku-Veli Niska, and Tomas Varhi.

Given our semi-pro status and our desolate location, our policy so far is going to be based on local lads and whatever we can bring through the youth intakes. There are a couple of clubs within reasonable distance, but they're all lower league and chances are they may never have players good enough to boost our ranks. Another possibility would be bringing in some players born in the region who are playing around the country.

3Rv4yno.png

We're only expected to attempt to avoid relegation, which would amount to finishing outside the bottom three in the league. I certainly don't want to push my luck and try to see whether the board would keep me if we do get relegated!

15 minutes ago, Rick87 said:

Good luck, Finland doesn't seem to crop up here very often so it's quite interesting to see. 

Cheers mate, welcome aboard!

Took my daughter to see the big man there about 20 years ago. I remember it was freakin' cold, so I'm amazed anyone plays football up there.

Good luck!

Just now, warlock said:

Took my daughter to see the big man there about 20 years ago. I remember it was freakin' cold, so I'm amazed anyone plays football up there.

Good luck!

A friend of mine went there last winter. He showed me some videos and a picture of a thermometer showing -30*C. It's a beautiful place, but I'm not sure if I could take it. :D

Thank you, glad to have you here!

R0q4z7B.png

Here's the initial version of the tactic I intend to be playing throughout this save.

In the offensive phase the idea is to dominate possession in the central lane thanks to a box midfield and three defenders providing additional support behind the ball. The 3+2 structure should provide a good base for this, with additional options being the wing backs and the advanced playmaker. The latter should hopefully recognise moments where he can drop deeper from the AM strata and provide numerical advantage while the striker and the other attacking midfielder attack the space in behind, pinning the defenders and creating a more direct threat as a plan B. Moreover, with both defensive midfielders on support duty what I hope to achieve is them positioning themselves behind the first line of pressure. We should be able to create an advantage against most systems with three at the back, and where we can't, the sweeper keeper should ideally give us another option and effectively reshape us into a four-man defensive line (although I'm not sure if FM is programmed to allow this).

As we progress further up the pitch, I also want us to be able to use a number of different outlets and combinations to solve situations in the final third. On the left side, by pairing the advanced playmaker on support duty (who should naturally be dropping deeper) with the wing back on attack duty (who should naturally be attacking the space high on the flank) we should be making it very difficult for the opposition to mark both these players. If a defender chooses to follow the playmaker, it disrupts the balance in the defensive line and opens up a gap for the wing back to run into. If they maintain their shape, we gain a free man in midfield. On the right side, it's the wing back playing a bit lower, providing an easier passing option but also potentially drawing out players to open up space for the attacking midfielder, who has the freedom to move into the wide area and overload it. On top of all that, we have a striker constantly making runs in behind, posing a threat by himself and opening up space between the lines for the attacking midfielders, especially the left-sided one.

When we defend, we want to press high and win the ball as quick as possible. With our numbers in the middle it should be difficult for any opposition to play through. As we force them to play wide, we're always ready to push the ballside wing back higher to press the full back in possession, and - if the game works properly, as I hope - balance the defence by having the other wing back drop deeper and create a four-man line. To a degree, the risk of playing high should be compensated by our sweeper keeper, although of course using one is a risk in itself. And while the aerial battle is very much a matter of the players' physical profiles, winning second balls should also be made easier thanks to the sheer numbers at the back and our structure.

In transition, the idea is to be as quick and intensive as possible. If we lose the ball, the number of players close together caused by our way of attacking is going to make us well prepared for counterpressing situations. When we win it back, a lot is going to depend on how well our striker can hold up the ball after receiving it (or chase it if we can get a pass behind the defensive line) and how quickly our attacking midfielders and wing backs can react to join the attack. All in all, we're aiming for proper heavy metal football here.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - Pre-Season - 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Friendlies

PipqkHC.png

A ridiculously long pre-season for us with no less than fifteen friendlies. I'm happy that we finished on a high with two big wins.

20 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

no less than fifteen friendlies

Scandinavia is really weird that way :eek:. I don't know most of the teams, but that looks like a pretty decent set of results.

Okay. This is interesting! I was born one hour away from Rovaniemi and lived in the city for 7 years during which I went to almost all the home games. 

The story of the team is rather sad as four(?) years ago they managed to get themselves relegated with probably the worst team ever played in Veikkausliiga. This was followed with an all or nothing season where RoPS narrowly lost in promotion playoff against AC Oulu and after that due to their financial status nearly went to bankruptcy. 

The youth development is still on a good level and if the positive momentum continues, we might see them back in Veikkausliiga in a couple of years. 

Going to follow this really closely. Hope that you can make it to Veikkausliiga and get back some of the talent that other top tier clubs have poached from them. 

Good luck! 

E: any reason for not starting in 2024? I'd say you could find a really good data update through steam which would probably include the new league structure in Ykkönen and for example Honka's bankruptcy. 

Edited by El Payaso

10 hours ago, warlock said:

Scandinavia is really weird that way :eek:. I don't know most of the teams, but that looks like a pretty decent set of results.

We played against teams from lower leagues, including a couple of nearby Swedish sides.

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Okay. This is interesting! I was born one hour away from Rovaniemi and lived in the city for 7 years during which I went to almost all the home games. 

The story of the team is rather sad as four(?) years ago they managed to get themselves relegated with probably the worst team ever played in Veikkausliiga. This was followed with an all or nothing season where RoPS narrowly lost in promotion playoff against AC Oulu and after that due to their financial status nearly went to bankruptcy. 

The youth development is still on a good level and if the positive momentum continues, we might see them back in Veikkausliiga in a couple of years. 

Going to follow this really closely. Hope that you can make it to Veikkausliiga and get back some of the talent that other top tier clubs have poached from them. 

Good luck! 

E: any reason for not starting in 2024? I'd say you could find a really good data update through steam which would probably include the new league structure in Ykkönen and for example Honka's bankruptcy. 

Great to have you here mate! Thank you so much for providing this background, I tried to find some information about how they ended up so low, but for some reason couldn't. We do seem to have a decent youth setup, and I know that in real life the RoPS youth teams mostly play in their top divisions. Let's see what comes out of this!

I started in 2023 mostly because I wanted to include some edited files (like the Baltic leagues or the Faroe Islands league) that were only made for the 24.0.0 database. The file I'm using seems to include the new structure though, at least I think so, because we're in the Ykkönen right now and we have the Ykkösliga above us.

35 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

Great to have you here mate! Thank you so much for providing this background, I tried to find some information about how they ended up so low, but for some reason couldn't. 

No problem. I think both me @Federico know quite a lot about the club. Obviously I'm not anymore that keen follower as it is impossible to go to the games anymore but they are always going to be my team in Finland, no matter what.

Basically the downfall of the club was some questionable actions related to money when the team was regularly competing in Europe. This has also brought a significant gripe between the club and the fans who obviously felt cheated by the previous members of board who were responsible for the downfall. The same fact is probably going to prevent some previous players returning to the club and many of them have chosen Rollon Pojat (RoPo) instead in the latter parts of their careers. What is interesting also is the fact that the club was practically saved with a public fund raiser where people all over Finland participated. I personally wrote about this idea after their relegation and when the financial problems first came to the daylight and was then laughed off by the domestic football community. 

20 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

No problem. I think both me @Federico know quite a lot about the club. Obviously I'm not anymore that keen follower as it is impossible to go to the games anymore but they are always going to be my team in Finland, no matter what.

Basically the downfall of the club was some questionable actions related to money when the team was regularly competing in Europe. This has also brought a significant gripe between the club and the fans who obviously felt cheated by the previous members of board who were responsible for the downfall. The same fact is probably going to prevent some previous players returning to the club and many of them have chosen Rollon Pojat (RoPo) instead in the latter parts of their careers. What is interesting also is the fact that the club was practically saved with a public fund raiser where people all over Finland participated. I personally wrote about this idea after their relegation and when the financial problems first came to the daylight and was then laughed off by the domestic football community. 

Ah, the classic close-mindedness of some people. Interesting that people all over the country donated money, is the club generally liked by the Finnish people?

6 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

Ah, the classic close-mindedness of some people. Interesting that people all over the country donated money, is the club generally liked by the Finnish people?

It is a club with lot of history and respect. When they played in the league, there was a common thought that teams and fans didn't like the long travel to north and many people hoped for their relegation. The club thereby had a slogan "Sorry South, RoPS will never be relegated" which was also used in RPS Brevery's beer cans (each Veikkausliiga club had their custom can). Another thing that used to bug people was the Zambian connection that lasted for almost 20 years. At worst 8 of the 11 starting players were from Zambia and that is obviously something that is bound to cause strong reactions. 

6 hours ago, El Payaso said:

It is a club with lot of history and respect. When they played in the league, there was a common thought that teams and fans didn't like the long travel to north and many people hoped for their relegation. The club thereby had a slogan "Sorry South, RoPS will never be relegated" which was also used in RPS Brevery's beer cans (each Veikkausliiga club had their custom can). Another thing that used to bug people was the Zambian connection that lasted for almost 20 years. At worst 8 of the 11 starting players were from Zambia and that is obviously something that is bound to cause strong reactions. 

What kind of connection was that? Some kind of cooperation with the Zambian federation?

9 hours ago, Rikulec said:

What kind of connection was that? Some kind of cooperation with the Zambian federation?

Nothing official. Since club legend Zeddy Saileti arrived to Rovaniemi, he was recruiting his countrymen to the club. 

This ended around 2010 when the vast majority of players were caught manipulating the results of the matches. The Finnish Wikipedia has lot of information about this and also previous cases including mainly Russian speaking players. 

6 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Nothing official. Since club legend Zeddy Saileti arrived to Rovaniemi, he was recruiting his countrymen to the club. 

This ended around 2010 when the vast majority of players were caught manipulating the results of the matches. The Finnish Wikipedia has lot of information about this and also previous cases including mainly Russian speaking players. 

I wish I knew Finnish! A couple of weeks ago I went to Helsinki for five days and the only word I learned was "kiitos", which I guess is exactly what I should say to you right now. :D

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - April 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkönen

TIPWImU.png

gSCF8KV.png

An unbeaten month is an unbeaten month, especially if you're expected to get involved in the relegation dogfight. On the other hand, we seem to be very leaky at the back and wasteful up front. It was especially clear in the VIFK game, where we dominated from start to finish, but conceded three goals from three shots on target.

Suomen Cup

P4mMAwi.png

A disappointing exit against a fifth-tier side. We went 3:1 up at one point, but collapsed and - again - conceded goals from all shots on target they had.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - May 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkönen

qTpzzOg.png

1PZfLHS.png

Seven points from four games is a very good return, given our pre-season expectations. We're generally playing well and bringing out the quality of our young squad. We were also the last team to lose a league game. :cool:

eQWRITV.png

With our strict recruitment policy, we're probably going to rely on the youth intakes very strongly, at least until we go fully professional, at which point I'll probably allow myself to bring in players from all over Finland.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - June 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkönen

ThNcGtO.png

dfz9bgf.png

Another good month and it seems we won't have to worry about getting relegated this season. We're 4th at the halfway stage of the regular season. Eleven more games and then the league splits in two. If we're in the top half after 22 games, I'll be a happy man.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - July 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkönen

5UQ4X8u.png

EkHyymw.png

The top half of the table is becoming tighter and tighter as we slowly approach the split. The highlight of the month was definitely the big win over VIFK.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - August 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkönen

lexZQuQ.png

EliIlCE.png

We flew high and even got into the playoff spot for a couple of weeks before JJK brought us back down to earth.

Transfers

Jesper Kähkönen - my first transfer of this save is a 26-year-old winger joining on a free from, uh, FC Santa Claus. Yeah. :lol: He's going to be retrained to play wing back.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - September 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkönen

aVxtDKd.png

Mj0NDD4.png

Two clean sheets to finish off a very good regular season. Four teams are going to battle it out for promotion and we're right up there in the mix.

Youth Intake

todswDK.png

yI9zb80.png

Plenty of potential in theory, but not much current ability to improve the squad right away. Nevertheless, some of these players are probably going to play important roles for us next season. It's interesting that we got a Puerto Rican in there and also Rungrueng has a Thai second nationality.

Marko Hiltunen

Thanatorn Rungrueng

Jyri Könönen

Teemu Siren

Karim Remes

Janne Karppinen

Eduardo López

Jani Vuorio

19 minutes ago, warlock said:

The definition of neck-and-neck (and neck). That goal difference might be crucial!

The goal difference is a big advantage indeed. On the other hand, our penultimate game is JJK away and they seem to be our toughest rival alongside KPV, who we've already played (and lost). So many permutations and possibilities here!

bEqHp6n.png

gmo25ts.png

An absolutely massive result as we beat JJK to take the advantage into the final game! We host AC Oulu's reserves, who have lost their last seven matches, while KPV and Klubi 04 play against each other at the former's ground. This pair of match-ups combined with the goal differences pretty much guarantees us the play-offs at the very least. Can we defy the odds and go all the way?

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - October 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkönen

lncNrB9.png

bhjcX93.png

We ****ing did it! :D On paper, the game against ACO OLS seemed to be the easiest final day fixture we could possibly get, and for 75 minutes it was. We scored three goals and seemed to be firmly in control... until we weren't. First a goal conceded, then a penalty given away and brilliantly saved by Korhonen, then a second goal... and, thankfully, that was it. We just had to spice things up a little bit, didn't we? :D

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - Season Review - 2023 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkönen

Results (Apr-Jul) - Results (Aug-Oct)

Competition Performance: Winners

In a season where we were expected to fight bravely against relegation, we defy all expectations and achieve back-to-back promotions after the club going up from the Kakkonen last year! An amazing achievement for our young squad, who seemed to be getting stronger and stronger with each month passing. In the end it was very tight at the top and it was our offensive force that pushed us over the line. We're just one step away from returning to where we belong.

Suomen Cup

Competition Performance: Fourth Round

We don't talk about what happened here.

Squad (1) - Squad (2) - Squad (3)

It's a bit crowded in there due to us not having a designated youth team (which makes absolutely zero sense to me). According to the staff, most of our players are fourth-tier-standard, which could become a problem following the promotion. An even bigger problem is that we're going to lose Alex Tolra, Tatu Lakela (both moving to IFK Mariehamn), and Tomas Varhi (not interested in a new contract). We're also releasing Samuel Olabisi to make room in our wage budget. It seems we have a challenging season ahead of us.

Transfers - Finances

Not much to speak of in terms of transfers. The two loans had happened before I came in and Kähkönen turned out a bit meh.

Our finances are stable thanks to one sponsor pumping in £155K per season on a four-year deal. This should keep us afloat for a while.

Player of the Season

1st - Tomas Varhi - our main man up front really stepped up when we needed him the most. He scored in each of our last six games of the season, finishing on 17 league goals and earning a well deserved top goalscorer award. It's a real shame he's not interested in signing a new contract, it's mostly thanks to him that we are where we are.

2nd - Lukas Ilola - the unexpected hero of the campaign. Although he looks a bit raw, the 17-year-old set the league on fire with his blistering pace and impressive crossing ability. 12 assists is more than any other player in the Ykkönen. Not bad for a debut season in senior football!

3rd - Tino Korhonen - when the season began and we seemed to be conceding goals every single time our opponents took a shot on target, I wouldn't have thought that I'd be putting our goalkeeper on this list; and yet, here we are. Korhonen was probably the player who improved the most for us, and 10 clean sheets from 25 appearances is more than a decent return.

Next Season

Given the changes that are going to happen to our squad and the recruitment policy I'm going with, it's going to be a tough campaign. On the other hand, only one team gets relegated from the Ykkösliiga and one going to a relegation play-off. A lot depends on how quickly our players can adapt to the requirements of the league above.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - Season Preview - 2024 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Board Expectations:

Ykkösliiga: Avoid relegation
Suomen Cup: Be competitive
Ykkösliigacup: Be competitive

My Expectations:

Ykkösliiga: Stay up, hopefully.
Suomen Cup: Not that important, although I'd like to actually win a game here this time round.
Ykkösliigacup: Not important.

Budgets:

Transfer: £19,020
Wage: £1,899 (currently spending £750)
Balance: £186,392

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - Pre-Season - 2024 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Friendlies

AwgJdpR.png

Five friendlies is a much more reasonable pre-season than what we had last year.

Transfers

qQ8bFGb.png

As mentioned before, we lose two important players.

Eerik Kantola - the Finnish Eric Cantona is a defender returning to Rovaniemi after a two-year spell at AC Oulu. My idea is to retrain him to play defensive midfielder and replace Alex Tolra.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - January 2024 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkösliigacup

05BlVoJ.png

QZmx1Mf.png

Two early goals and a brilliant performance from Korhonen help us to our first win in the league cup.

@Rikulec Really enjoying the thread so far. I started a save with SJK on the last FM and even though I only played a season of it I really enjoyed Finland, going back is a strong contender for me for FM25. Will be following the rest of the save with interest!

2 hours ago, adam_otbfm said:

@Rikulec Really enjoying the thread so far. I started a save with SJK on the last FM and even though I only played a season of it I really enjoyed Finland, going back is a strong contender for me for FM25. Will be following the rest of the save with interest!

Thank you and welcome aboard! The Nordic leagues are always interesting and fun to play. :thup:

1 hour ago, El Payaso said:

Nice to see you bringing back some familiar names. That is exactly how I would also play a save game with RoPS. 

It feels sensible given that I want to play the game as realistic as possible. I'm already getting suggestions of players from all over the country as well as abroad, but it doesn't feel right to bring them to the North on part-time £100 p/w contracts.

wC7swdN.png

Our income from season tickets has almost doubled compared to last season, so I feel it might be a good idea to bump our junior coaching to excellent.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - February 2024 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkösliigacup

DZVnT8Y.png

X7NtiNB.png

We somehow top the group and go through to the semi-final. :D It was a decent set of performances as well, both wins were well deserved and we also could have got something from the EIF game if our finishing had been better.

In the semi final we travel to PK-35, who finished runners-up in the other group.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - March 2024 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkösliigacup

esS8fq3.png

A very tight and even game that could have gone either way. Unfortunately, it went theirs after a goalmouth scramble following a corner.

Friendlies

gEAOmCv.png

Some games to keep us fit before the start of the league. The results don't seem very encouraging though, we shouldn't be losing to OTP and we should be scoring more against the likes of Ajax and Muurola.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - April 2024 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkösliiga

Aal2LFh.png

p5YSy3S.png

A storming start that kind of fizzled out very quickly. The early signs are good though, we aren't getting outclassed and it seems like we could be competitive at this level.

Suomen Cup

hjCBeUm.png

We took revenge for the heavy loss in a friendly last month.

In the next round we're up against HIFK at home.

Transfers

Juuso Kemppainen - a long-time AC Oulu player joins us on a free after being released by his former club.

Rb1Hqs2.png

Erkki Karpela's Management Career - May 2024 - Rovaniemen Palloseura

Ykkösliiga

A97JFNE.png

uApDI0W.png

Two wins from four games is probably the sort of form we're looking for if we're to finish safely in mid-table.

Suomen Cup

RQsqlIK.png

Solid work in the cup as we advance to the seventh round, which is effectively the round of 16.

We also got the most favourable draw: the reserves of a third tier side Grankulla IFK.