Under 23 Squad- Whats the Point?

Dear Friends,

Could someone please explain to me if there is any point in having players solely in my under 23 squad?

Say your managing a top club in England, you have your first team, under 23 squad and under 18 squad. From my understanding the general consensus seems to be is to keep young players in the under 18 squad until they turn 18 then loan them out for match experience until (hopefully) they are ready for the first team. Now you might get some players who are not quite ready for the first team but you don't want to loan them out either so you could put them in the first team and make them available for the under 23 squad.

So again I ask what's the point in having players solely in your under 23 squad?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, carlrich1 said:

Dear Friends,

Could someone please explain to me if there is any point in having players solely in my under 23 squad?

Say your managing a top club in England, you have your first team, under 23 squad and under 18 squad. From my understanding the general consensus seems to be is to keep young players in the under 18 squad until they turn 18 then loan them out for match experience until (hopefully) they are ready for the first team. Now you might get some players who are not quite ready for the first team but you don't want to loan them out either so you could put them in the first team and make them available for the under 23 squad.

So again I ask what's the point in having players solely in your under 23 squad?

Thanks.

They're there for development and probable call ups into your squad for matches. Some of them will need to experience what play time feels like too

17 hours ago, carlrich1 said:

Dear Friends,

Thanks.

Once a player turns 18 I tend to give them one season in the under 23 squad for further development and to play against better level of opponent before I loan them out. It might just be anecdotal, but I feel like their development is better this way than just loaning them to a crappy team with poor facilities as soon as they turn 18. 

17 hours ago, carlrich1 said:

Dear Friends,

Thanks.

You're right, I can't see any point, i'd rather have them in the first team being mentored by first team players and just made available for the under 23's

If you look at the actual U23 teams of Premier League clubs you’ll see a mix of fringe players, promising teenagers being played up a level and players who aren’t ever going to make it to the first team but for whatever reason haven’t left yet. There is presumably some value in this for clubs IRL, but in FM it’s pretty pointless.

I prefer the old reserve league system that was in place. It was a natural progression from the u18s / u21 level, that allowed youngsters a taste of playing against seasoned professionals and first team players coming back from injury.