Game 15: Scotland vs Switzerland live from the Cologne Stadium. BBC1 8pm

What will be the result  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the result

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/06/24 at 18:59

md2_scosui.jpeg?imwidth=2048

Possible line-ups

Scotland: Gunn; Hanley, Hendry, Tierney; Ralston, Gilmour, McGregor, Robertson; McTominay, Adams, McGinn

Switzerland: Sommer; Schär, Akanji, Rodriguez; Widmer, Xhaka, Freuler, Aebischer; Ndoye, Embolo, Vargas

image.png.b374344d103fb04aecc8c5e55ad90b4f.png

Scotland probably will need a win and a draw from their last two games. Life will be a lot easier for them if they can make this that win. Quite possible that a draw will be enough for Switzerland to qualify for the next stage.

scotland-vs-switzerland-prediction-1024x

Last time Scotland were in a make or break clash against the Swiss, they couldn't quite do enough

Gabby Logan presents, with commentary by

Chester-awards-31-1200x800.jpg

and

JS8601883.jpg

come on you scots

damnscotstheyruinedscotland.gif

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the first thing I'd be looking to do and it's not going to be an easy job is press the Switzerland midfield and stop Xhaka controlling things, he was influential in everything they did against Hungary

we need somebody in there to control the ball and make sure we can create chances with the talent we have available.  Germany are the best team in our group and will more likely go further in the tournament so I'd just forget the performance on Friday, just concentrate on winning the midfield battle and hopefully we can get something to stick upfront.  I'd play two upfront but I don't see it happening as I don't think the players available attacking wise can play in a one upfront system, it's something I'd like to see my club team do but it seems to be a dirty word in the Scottish leagues for some reason

Edited by TM

3-5-2 please Steve, let's at least have a go at these and put in a proper shift throughout the team. Anything would be an improvement on Friday night's debacle but I'm not optimistic. We're just in terrible, terrible form, and have some major absences. Let's hope the players can give a positive response to the opening game.

INTAE THUM

1 hour ago, Mickybricks14 said:

I think the BBC need to be stricter on where you can pick players on their squad selector 

Screenshot_2024-06-19-14-43-12-280.jpeg

To be fair, I think putting John McGinn in goal is a fantastic choice. ;)

17 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

image.png.d5833ca44f3498747ac3af27cc3e72da.png

Xherdan makes an appearance!

Idk if taking Ndoye out was the move, Vargas was comfortably their worst attacking player in the first game.

The Scots surely can't be lining up like that?! :D 

1 minute ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

Diamond midfield, with McT behind Adams most likely.

Yeah that's what I figured, either someone in the hole behind Adams or a 532. BBC being weird with their lineup graphics. 

Not expecting much here.  A draw probably suits both sides. 

A win takes Switzerland through with a game to spare though, and it means Switzerland and Germany will definitely finish 1-2 in the group.  Neither of them will have to rely on only being a best third place team.  Whereas if Scotland win, Germany are still through... but Germany, Switzerland and Scotland could all still finish on six points and one of them would go through from third.

Scotland are most likely done for if they lose again.  Not mathematically out, but they would be on 0 points and with a goal difference of -5 (or maybe even worse).  So to have any chance after that, Scotland would probably have to go and beat Hungary by four or five goals.  In all likelihood to be a best third place team you need three points and a positive goal difference, or maybe a goal difference of -1 at worst.  Teams with three points and -2 GD were eliminated at both of the last Euros.

If you want to go deep on the 'best third place team' stuff, here is an old thread from Euro 2020:

https://community.sports-interactive.com/forums/topic/553502-permutations-aka-how-many-points-to-be-a-best-third-place-team/

Where I aggregated all the records of the third place teams from previous tournaments from 1994-2016... sample size of 72 groups.  Then looked at what points haul and what GD you would probably need to be ranked in the top 4/6ths.

The forecast cut off was: 3 points + GD of -1 or better gets you through
Whereas 3 points + GD of -2 or worse and you miss out

And then in Euro 2020 itself this exact scenario played out:

image.png.173b31ab335ec5f5204e356fa2bdbebf.png

Where Ukraine got through with -1 GD and Finland with -2 GD went home.

18 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

If you want to go deep on the 'best third place team' stuff, here is an old thread from Euro 2020:

https://community.sports-interactive.com/forums/topic/553502-permutations-aka-how-many-points-to-be-a-best-third-place-team/

Where I aggregated all the records of the third place teams from previous tournaments from 1994-2016... sample size of 72 groups.  Then looked at what points haul and what GD you would probably need to be ranked in the top 4/6ths.

The forecast cut off was: 3 points + GD of -1 or better gets you through
Whereas 3 points + GD of -2 or worse and you miss out

And then in Euro 2020 itself this exact scenario played out:

image.png.173b31ab335ec5f5204e356fa2bdbebf.png

Where Ukraine got through with -1 GD and Finland with -2 GD went home.

Love this stuff

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Love this stuff

If you think the Euros are fun, 2026 is going to hit you like a train :D

I was looking at the format earlier... getting the 8/12 third place teams instead of just 4/6 third place teams is insane.

The Euros have the 15 aforementioned combinations in terms of which groups could provide the third place teams - ABCD, ABCE, ABCF, ABDE etc.

But the World Cup will have 495 - ABCDEFGH, ABCDEFGI and so on right through to EFGHIJKL

That said, for any one team in particular... the need to probably get to three points and a positive GD isn't really any different.

Just now, skybluedave said:

Man, we desperately need a good anthem like that don't we. I think that's main reason we win nowt. 

Aye there's no contest between the two. Flower of Scotland is a grade-A certified BANGER.

5 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Thought the same thing in the first game when he was stood over a FK. Need his height in the box. Surely you put Robertson on corners/FKs?

Kane in 2016 vibez