EURO Style Knockout Seeding

Hello, I am experimenting creating a 24 team Copa America with 10 teams from South America and 14 teams from North America. I was wondering how I could make the knockout seeding the same as EUROS with the 3rd placed teams. So like 1st from group C vs one of the top 4 3rd placed and 2nd from group A vs 2nd from group B, etc.

Extra: I also tried creating a qualifier tournament for North American teams where 36 participate and 14 qualify for the tournament, however, I'm having trouble with adding the teams that qualify to the tournament. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On 23/06/2024 at 05:00, BigTiddyMILF said:

I was wondering how I could make the knockout seeding the same as EUROS with the 3rd placed teams. So like 1st from group C vs one of the top 4 3rd placed and 2nd from group A vs 2nd from group B, etc.

To get the qualified 3rd placed teams, I believe you would need a hidden stage to rank them and to qualify them into the knockout stage. You might need another hidden stage if you want different seeding for 1st and 2nd placed teams in group. At last, you should be able to do the 1st vs 3rd using Place Seedings Together. But if you want specifically 2nd from group A vs 2nd from group B, you need Cup Tie Mappings.

On 25/06/2024 at 08:14, Bentfi said:

To get the qualified 3rd placed teams, I believe you would need a hidden stage to rank them and to qualify them into the knockout stage. You might need another hidden stage if you want different seeding for 1st and 2nd placed teams in group. At last, you should be able to do the 1st vs 3rd using Place Seedings Together. But if you want specifically 2nd from group A vs 2nd from group B, you need Cup Tie Mappings.

No. It's much simpler, you just need "group settings" to get best third placed teams, no need for hidden stages. Also you can seed teams by position in previous group, so no need for any hidden stages. You're right about cup tie mappings, but that's not what he asked, he's wondering how to do the Euro-style "first in group B vs. 3rd from C/D/E" type stuff. I think it's hard-coded in the Euros, you could probably replicate it with a crapload of hidden stages and "ignore teams"-type settings but it sounds like a of work (like one that just takes third from each of groups C/D/E and excludes teams who haven't qualified for the second round, as well as teams who have already been picked in a previous hidden stage). Could be a summer project

OP may already be aware of this and wants the more specific C/D/E-type seedings, but anyway the "best third place teams" thing comes from group settings/extra fate/places - set number of places to 4 (in the case of the Euros), "original league place" to "other", and "new league place" to "promotion" (shouldn't make sense but it does). "Maximum teams" in group should be set to 1, or else a fourth-place team might creep in if they have 3 or 4 points and outrank other third-place teams.

In the second round, you can seed teams by position in previous stage and do a seeded draw. There are also settings to "avoid teams in previous group" but it doesn't seem to work consistently