Squad selection rules: Non-EU Players Signed from Abroad per Season

I'm trying to emulate the rules of the Estonian lower leagues, where they cannot sign players based abroad. I tried using the Squad Selection Rules for "Players Based Outside of Nation", but that doesn't stop teams from signing foreign players, as once they are signed, they are automatically based in the nation and thus free to be registered which renders the rule useless.

I have thus tried to use the "maximum non-EU players from outside nation in a season" for the transfer rules and set it to 0, but that also seems to have no effect.

Last, I've tried using the "Non-EU Players Signed from Abroad per Season" from the squad selection rules, setting it to less than, or equal to, 0, but I get an error for it that says:

No support found for "less than" for squad selection rule "Non-EU Players Signed from Abroad Per Season"

Has anybody figured out how to make this work? It's pretty important for this save.

"Players based outside of nation" has gotta be for internationals.

Could you just give them their own transfer windows separate from the top division? I.e. duplicate them and change the first one's "highest division level" to 0 and "lowest division level" to 0, and the second one to highest 1 and lowest 1 (this is the div 2 transfer window). Make their transfer windows "domestic transfers only"