FM 25 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

47 minutes ago, -Jef- said:

If the rest of the game is status quo but they change these two things to function properly (proper rotations and development but also that AI makes mistakes if the attributes are low) I would honestly pay 100 euros for the game.

Same. Would probably make it possible to actually play enjoyable long-term saves and somewhat realistic careers. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Em 29/07/2024 em 18:23, Birdman10piyu disse:

I think I understand what SI is trying with the new FM 

If any of y'all played the mobile version of FM24, the UI has a nice simple feel. If you want more detailed info, you can get it but I really like how there isn't so much thrown at your face at once.

Even from the tactic screen, sub screen. It looks a lot more modern than what the PC version of FM does.

They want to get out of the "spreadsheet simulator" box they've been in for a long time and bring a bigger crowd to the market because we can all admit FM is a tough series to break into if you haven't played it.

I welcome the changes and look forward to it. Even as an FM vet, even I can get a bit overwhelmed by all the info thrown at you.

FM Mobile didn't feel any nicer to me, just dumber. Like the latest versions of FM, it adds fluff and layers above what really matters for the manager.

CM3, CM01/02 with their dated interface were nice and simple. Just a couple intuitive clicks and you were actually making a difference.

Now you want to make a simple tactic but you gotta choose a play style first? and on FM Mobile you don't even have all the roles nor duties selection but you have press conferences and confusing team talks...

With all these concepts that I call fluff but SI considers part of a "real" football manager experience, what really happens is that with all these extra steps, all the extra information, it gets in the way of your own ability to truly submerge in the game. With the simple and pure meat and bones in older versions you had more SPACE to imagine. It was just pure attributes, pure training, tactical movements, transfers, scouting and that's it. 

it's the same with art and illustration. The more "realistic" the drawing is, the less it can be in the viewers imagination. While a simple, conceptual form can become almost anything. It is also why books have always commanded such power, it's all in the minds eye.

FM took a turn for the worse somewhere along the way, maybe FM18, maybe even before...

3 hours ago, Ti Ago said:

Still without further news from SI ? 

The only other date they’ve given so far is September, and we’re not there yet unfortunately 

Sorry if this has already been asked, but was FM25 available to wish list on Steam yet or have I had some kind of weird dream?  I could have sworn I had wish listed it and now its vanished.  

2 hours ago, TQ13PS said:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but was FM25 available to wish list on Steam yet or have I had some kind of weird dream?  I could have sworn I had wish listed it and now its vanished.  

FM25 isnt announced yet so no it isnt on Steam or on any platform yet. It will be up most likely on September ish 

I know, right?  Such a shame people don't get the opportunity for endless circular discussion over effectively nothing on a product that will release at the same time regardless.  Definitely worth getting annoyed about.

7 hours ago, numbas2 said:

I'm annoyed we haven't heard anything since. Why post something in June if the updates are going to be sporadic? 

Meant to be building excitement not generating frustration. Drip, drip is fine but not drip, RADIO SILENCE. 

What irritates me about the June Blog post by Miles, it failed miserably to get any excitement about FM25. Really, really want to be excited for FM25, but I... am... simply... not... excited...

Now, the big issue! Games are getting more expensive, and there isn't going to be enough money to buy multiple games coming this fall of this year. Planet Coaster 2 is set to be released around the same time as FM25, and Frontier already has announced 2 videos (1 deep dive and 1 Stream highlight) about the new game... And it is getting me excited about it.

While SI just released a blog post of a handful of news about FM25 and just a snip of what the new UI might look like, because what we had wasn't even an in-game screenshot... At this point, I'm more inclined to get Planet Coaster 2, than FM25.

Oh, for those wandering, Planet Coaster 2 and FM are two different games... Well, the way developers are charging for games nowadays... to simplify it, my money doesn't stretch like that. Coming this fall, I'm getting one or the other, not both. SI really, really needs to blow me away with the September announcements, or I'm going to get just in March when it is half-price.

Edited by grade

FM25 can't come fast enough.

I never play the game with the team I support because it feels unrealistic when I do well. I think that may well have changed now. :D

10 hours ago, grade said:

What irritates me about the June Blog post by Miles, it failed miserably to get any excitement about FM25. Really, really want to be excited for FM25, but I... am... simply... not... excited...

Now, the big issue! Games are getting more expensive, and there isn't going to be enough money to buy multiple games coming this fall of this year. Planet Coaster 2 is set to be released around the same time as FM25, and Frontier already has announced 2 videos (1 deep dive and 1 Stream highlight) about the new game... And it is getting me excited about it.

While SI just released a blog post of a handful of news about FM25 and just a snip of what the new UI might look like, because what we had wasn't even an in-game screenshot... At this point, I'm more inclined to get Planet Coaster 2, than FM25.

Oh, for those wandering, Planet Coaster 2 and FM are two different games... Well, the way developers are charging for games nowadays... to simplify it, my money doesn't stretch like that. Coming this fall, I'm getting one or the other, not both. SI really, really needs to blow me away with the September announcements, or I'm going to get just in March when it is half-price.

Must say I'm also a bit surprised with silent treatment as a marketing strategy. I suppose this is coming from the pov that they know there's no competition and the name by itself will be enough to sell in sufficient amounts. In short, they don't need to lift a finger other than releasing something and stamping 'football manager' on the (virtual) box.

When WOTC did something similar with the move from mtgo to mtga, the new game was well over a year in public beta testing and they did a lot to promote the new game. But, they had fierce competition and were on a market where there are plenty of alternatives...

It isn't silent treatment. The blog said this:

Football Manager 25’s release date will be confirmed in early September, with pre-orders opening at the same time. We’ll begin unveiling new gameplay elements shortly thereafter. As you can see from what we’ve shared here, and have already revealed, there’s going to be a lot to dive into – make sure you are signed up to FMFC and are following @FootballManager across socials.

19 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Football Manager 25’s release date will be confirmed in early September, with pre-orders opening at the same time. We’ll begin unveiling new gameplay elements shortly thereafter. As you can see from what we’ve shared here, and have already revealed, there’s going to be a lot to dive into – make sure you are signed up to FMFC and are following @FootballManager across socials.

My point being that the release and reveal schedule of this supposedly massive change bears little to no difference to the yearly releases we have got in the past decade. Second point being it's understandable because (assumption here) there is little to change since we all know and SI better than any of us, this will sell since there is no competition. I was trying (poorly) to illustrate a parallel between a monopoly market and a high competition market.

(must say wasn't expecting this to be such a seemingly contentious point, I think it's pretty normal given the market specifics for this game?)

EDIT: to say, I mean, we just had the olympics, female football will become a thing for the 1st time in FM 25 and there wasn't even a single post to say, hey, look at player x, she's doing really well in the olympics and here she is in our brand new engine!...' . something like that.

Edited by jmlima
typos and missing things

3 hours ago, DS7 said:

Will online saves from FM24 going to be able to be played in FM25? 

I would guess so, would be odd if it was a 1 time thing - My guess is that it's a feature to stay, atleast for now.

6 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Not to rubber your feathers, but Miles said this: "So, this means we're aiming for the first major FM25 reveal in Q2 of 2024."

Here is the link: https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

Still waiting for the major announcement promised. Just saying...

3 hours ago, DS7 said:

Will online saves from FM24 going to be able to be played in FM25? 

It is likely to happen, since it wasn't among the features they announced on the Juno blog post, that are going to be removed. Just to wait little while.

6 minutes ago, grade said:

I'm not sure which it is between the dev blog announcements (the new era and new engine) and the Premier League coming to FM, but I am sure he was referring to one of the two.

9 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

I'm not sure which it is between the dev blog announcements (the new era and new engine) and the Premier League coming to FM, but I am sure he was referring to one of the two.

Are you telling me that FM25's first major announcement is the licensing of a league?

I mean... sure, the licensing of a league is always welcome, let alone the Premier League.

Still, that is not what I had in mind as a major reveal, but hey coming from a developer that calls a button design change a new feature, maybe in their books it is the major reveal promised last year.

Semantics... :D

1 hora atrás, snowofman disse:

I would guess so, would be odd if it was a 1 time thing - My guess is that it's a feature to stay, atleast for now.

1 hora atrás, grade disse:

Not to rubber your feathers, but Miles said this: "So, this means we're aiming for the first major FM25 reveal in Q2 of 2024."

Here is the link: https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

It is likely to happen, since it wasn't among the features they announced on the Juno blog post, that are going to be removed. Just to wait little while.

Okay thank you. I'm asking because it's online so idk if there's anything different from when a regular save gets passed from one fm to another.

9 hours ago, jmlima said:

Must say I'm also a bit surprised with silent treatment as a marketing strategy. I suppose this is coming from the pov that they know there's no competition and the name by itself will be enough to sell in sufficient amounts. In short, they don't need to lift a finger other than releasing something and stamping 'football manager' on the (virtual) box.

When WOTC did something similar with the move from mtgo to mtga, the new game was well over a year in public beta testing and they did a lot to promote the new game. But, they had fierce competition and were on a market where there are plenty of alternatives...

Possibility there isn’t much worth showing, which would be a massive shame for a brand new game, on a brand new engine

or that they are *happy* about showing rather. 

Edited by ForTheLoveOfTheGame

23 hours ago, grade said:

Are you telling me that FM25's first major announcement is the licensing of a league?

I mean... sure, the licensing of a league is always welcome, let alone the Premier League.

Still, that is not what I had in mind as a major reveal, but hey coming from a developer that calls a button design change a new feature, maybe in their books it is the major reveal promised last year.

I'd suggest the Premier League being fully licensed is a fairly major announcement for FM.

I'd agree it's not the most exciting announcement though because you've been able to add that via mods for years.

23 hours ago, grade said:

I think it's important to remember that what many users can add by mods still are a major announcement to the load of users who does not use mods. Also for the non-pc versions where I don't think mods are a thing.

As much as us who frequent the forums like to think, we are still only a very small minority of users SI has to cater to. Dedicated, sure, but we still only buy a single copy of the game every year, same a any random user who thinks having the PL licensed is the greatest thing ever.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

I think it's important to remember that what many users can add by mods still are a major announcement to the load of users who does not use mods. Also for the non-pc versions where I don't think mods are a thing.

As much as us who frequent the forums like to think, we are still only a very small minority of users SI has to cater to. Dedicated, sure, but we still only buy a single copy of the game every year, same a any random user who thinks having the PL licensed is the greatest thing ever.

I agree. It really depend on the point of view and expectations of each one of us.

I just... well I hoped... at least more approach to us costumers, like other developers do in showing their product as a way to marketing the game, specially FM25 where we actually going to have new different things. I like the dev videos like Frontier do... but... well I just don't understand... well I kinda do, but I don't like this state of secrecy of SI for any current and upcoming version of FM.

2 hours ago, grade said:

I agree. It really depend on the point of view and expectations of each one of us.

I just... well I hoped... at least more approach to us costumers, like other developers do in showing their product as a way to marketing the game, specially FM25 where we actually going to have new different things. I like the dev videos like Frontier do... but... well I just don't understand... well I kinda do, but I don't like this state of secrecy of SI for any current and upcoming version of FM.

Ideally, I agree with more info from SI regarding how things are going. But that also means they need to take time out of actual development to post info, unless they get in some marketing people to create fluff. Personally, I'd rather get some info from actual SI staff rather than glossy crap from some marketing person!

Also, seeing how people react in here to some UI mockups, I'm not sure showing more will do much good... For those of us who knows about development, sure, but for randoms, "MOCKUPS" is apparently too hard to grasp. So I think showing too many screenshots of unfinished work would work against SI rather than for...

1 hour ago, XaW said:

... So I think showing too many screenshots of unfinished work would work against SI rather than for...

I mean, if at this time all they have to show are unfinished mockups the project would be in dire straits. Everyone knows that at this stage the project has either moved well, well past mockups or the release date will never be met. So let's at least agree that the decision not to show anything more is not derived from a lack of time (we are not talking about some indie developer but an actual corporation) and let's agree that there is far more than could be shown other than mockups.

SI can or not show, can or not advertise, whatever, it's their business. We all know that even without them posting anything the game will still show on the steam top sold charts. But let's not try to find spurious reasons for not doing more and earlier marketing. It's merely a corporate decision not to do it and that's all it is.

There really should be lots of ‘finished’ work by now if we are getting a release this year. At this point in usual FM releases it would be mainly testing.

Like I’ve said previously, the release date is being announced in September. It won’t necessarily be guaranteed this year considering the size of this project compared to past updates. 

Edited by DP

I play FM since it was Championship Manager 4, I like to edit db, play long saves, try different tactics etc I am what you call an hardcore fan.

I think this is the reason for which I see 3 main improvements which are needed:

- balance the weight of physical, mental and technical attributes in order to have the ME reflecting the importance of this attributes as they are IRL, this is a huge problem since right now physical attributes are dominant;

- improve the AI and have a correlation between the attributes of Director of Football, scouts etc and the ability of AI to build teams properly, this is relevant especially for long saves;

- develop further the tactics, but this is strictly related to ME and weight of attributes.

However I am aware that these 3 things would require a lot of work and a lot of QA afterwards, so they involve a huge investment...and they are very relevant for me and you here in the forum, but maybe not relevant at all for a casual player.

17 hours ago, XaW said:

Ideally, I agree with more info from SI regarding how things are going. But that also means they need to take time out of actual development to post info, unless they get in some marketing people to create fluff. Personally, I'd rather get some info from actual SI staff rather than glossy crap from some marketing person!

Also, seeing how people react in here to some UI mockups, I'm not sure showing more will do much good... For those of us who knows about development, sure, but for randoms, "MOCKUPS" is apparently too hard to grasp. So I think showing too many screenshots of unfinished work would work against SI rather than for...

Maybe it is just me, but I feel like SI are a little behind the times when it comes to things like marketing and the likes, and they just know that because they are the best (only?) football management sim on the market that they don't care or particularly try with things like that and just rely on existing customers coming back.

A couple of examples that spring to mind to me are Undisputed, whilst it wasn't great on release, they were constantly posting something or another on social media long before the game released, and another game I have had my eye on for a while now, The Precinct, is constantly posting teasers and info about the game and has been for a long time despite only being a small studio. I understand these are new games into the market so therefore can't rely on existing customers just coming back, so they have to create interest for their games, but I would like to see SI do a little more, whether it be little snippets of info here and there, teasers etc, rather than just nothing for months then a huge dump of info and a two hour long video of Miles playing the latest version of the game to showcase the new features.  

19 minutes ago, Jonthedon26 said:

Maybe it is just me, but I feel like SI are a little behind the times when it comes to things like marketing and the likes, and they just know that because they are the best (only?) football management sim on the market that they don't care or particularly try with things like that and just rely on existing customers coming back.

A couple of examples that spring to mind to me are Undisputed, whilst it wasn't great on release, they were constantly posting something or another on social media long before the game released, and another game I have had my eye on for a while now, The Precinct, is constantly posting teasers and info about the game and has been for a long time despite only being a small studio. I understand these are new games into the market so therefore can't rely on existing customers just coming back, so they have to create interest for their games, but I would like to see SI do a little more, whether it be little snippets of info here and there, teasers etc, rather than just nothing for months then a huge dump of info and a two hour long video of Miles playing the latest version of the game to showcase the new features.  

Even developers well established like Frontier, are doing the same with Planet Coaster 2.

I wish SI would be more like this... But hey, a few years ago SI wouldn't even bother telling they were removing features, and now they do. YAY? :P

Edited by grade

51 minutes ago, grade said:

Even developers well established like Frontier, are doing the same with Planet Coaster 2.

I wish SI would be more like this... But hey, a few years ago SI wouldn't even bother telling they were removing features, and now they do. YAY? :P

You guys also need to consider that SI is not independent, they're just another developer in the Sega Sammy catalogue. And Sega Sammy... well, not Sega certainly.

4 hours ago, jmlima said:

You guys also need to consider that SI is not independent, they're just another developer in the Sega Sammy catalogue. And Sega Sammy... well, not Sega certainly.

Colossal Order is also not independent, it is a Developer of Paradox Interactive. They did dev videos prior to release, Cities Skylines 2 wasn't without its issue with the release. Sure, Paradox might approve such marketing strategy (probably demand it).

I think, it would hurt SI to do these Dev teams months prior to release date. They did in the past with the first footage of the 3D graphics on FM09 was release in August.

FC 25 got in possession tactic and out of possession tactic before FM. And to add to that a simulation slider how good finishing will be, how fast the player will be,.... That is huge if I want to optimize the match engine to my liking.

What reality am I living thou 💀. I know there are 'fluid' position or what ever it's called but probably not the same. Was offline for 2 whole months since the June blog and still not even a sneak peak beside the UI damn. September atleast need to drop a banger cause we are being risk of catched up by EA of all people lol.

Edited by Hzano123
Missing few ideas i want to point out

16 hours ago, grade said:

Colossal Order is also not independent, it is a Developer of Paradox Interactive. They did dev videos prior to release, Cities Skylines 2 wasn't without its issue with the release. Sure, Paradox might approve such marketing strategy (probably demand it).

I think, it would hurt SI to do these Dev teams months prior to release date. They did in the past with the first footage of the 3D graphics on FM09 was release in August.

In the case of City Skylines 2 the marketing generated so much hype that the game couldn't live up to it.  It's starting to get there now, but we're nearly a year in.

The so-called reveal for FM25 - screen mock-ups from a game that's been in development for years and is due to launch this autumn is utterly pathetic - where is the in-game footage?  I will watch the actual first gameplay videos with great interest, because I'm starting to feel SI are hiding the new game because it is not going to be the great leap forward  to a new generation fit for 2024 that we all hope for.

Edited by rp1966

2 hours ago, Hzano123 said:

FC 25 got in possession tactic and out of possession tactic before FM. And to add to that a simulation slider how good finishing will be, how fast the player will be,.... That is huge if I want to optimize the match engine to my liking.

What reality am I living thou 💀. I know there are 'fluid' position or what ever it's called but probably not the same. Was offline for 2 whole months since the June blog and still not even a sneak peak beside the UI damn. September atleast need to drop a banger cause we are being risk of catched up by EA of all people lol.

You really compare an arcade football game to FM? lmao

43 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

The so-called reveal for FM25 - screen mock-ups from a game that's been in development for years and is due to launch this autumn is utterly pathetic - where is the in-game footage?  I will watch the actual first gameplay videos with great interest, because I'm starting to feel SI are hiding the new game because it is not going to be the great leap forward  to a new generation fit for 2024 that we all hope for.

It might be or not, but expectations management is a thing and, leaving the field open for wild speculation is a very dicey strategy. I think they bank 100% on the fact that, even if the game is ultimately a brick, with correct pricing it will still sell very well and they can recover for next year's game.

It would be genuinely fascinating to see the collected data on what people think this new generation game will bring. (I can only assume they have done so in one way or another so that data must exist... not that is going to be published, but it would still be fascinating.)

3 hours ago, -Jef- said:

You really compare an arcade football game to FM? lmao

Yeah that's exactly what I want to point out. An arcade/gambling focused football game giving us the featured that we want in a heavy tacic focused game like FM (ex: in and out of posession tactics, regen face grow accordingly with their age, database for new country added, sliders to refine the simulation to match to your liking,...). The only advantage fm have right now is their data and their match engine, that's what I mean by catching up and letting arcade type of game catch up is not good. I hope the September announcement change my mind, so far only UI and feature removed (I actually like both of these but the changes is quite small)

Except we practically got in and out tactic with positional play. 235 attacking and 442 defending is very much possible, for example. EA actually copied FM and just gave roles in tactic screen and made a view that tells you how they're gonna play.

Edited by -Jef-

5 hours ago, rp1966 said:

In the case of City Skylines 2 the marketing generated so much hype that the game couldn't live up to it.  It's starting to get there now, but we're nearly a year in.

It's probably not a good sign for the overall development of the game that they lead off the announcement by saying what isn't going to be in the game and then releasing underwhelming mockups of the UI. 

On 11/08/2024 at 12:47, grade said:

Speak for yourself. I think it's great to see SI making progress and not just putting out the same FM every year, just with updated rosters. Not only will the game look and feel smoother, but the ME will have another year's worth of upgrades, and those ME changes haven't even been mentioned yet. I'm excited.

On 11/08/2024 at 23:23, jmlima said:

If you'd rather play Planet Coaster than FM, then I don't think anything I say is going to hit home for you.

On 11/08/2024 at 23:23, jmlima said:

They've had the same strategy for a long time. Are you surprised that they are doing this year what they do every single year? They push announcements starting about 6-8 weeks before the game's release. Obviously they like it. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's a bad strategy. They've certainly been very effective in making me count down the days until FM comes out.

15 hours ago, -Jef- said:

Except we practically got in and out tactic with positional play. 235 attacking and 442 defending is very much possible, for example. EA actually copied FM and just gave roles in tactic screen and made a view that tells you how they're gonna play

Positional play has been used for at least 6/8 years outside of the Premier League, although only now is widely adopted by managers in the top5 leagues. As mentioned by other users in other topics, this is the limit of a premier league-centric video game.
I don't say that FM is a very bad game, but we need to be honest when evaluating the tactical improvements in the last 5 years: limited (they basically optimized pressing at the team level, which is good, but options are pretty the same from FM19.

What they did with some of the new features (agents, club vision, supporters panel) is very good, or at least improved a lot the immersion in the game, but tactics got stuck at middle 10's/late 10's years and this is not what you would expect from football managerial video game (in which you can only develop your tactics and cannot actually play the matches)

8 hours ago, WizbaII said:

Speak for yourself. I think it's great to see SI making progress and not just putting out the same FM every year, just with updated rosters. Not only will the game look and feel smoother, but the ME will have another year's worth of upgrades, and those ME changes haven't even been mentioned yet. I'm excited.

I'm speaking for myself. Where do imply I'm not? :larry:

I hope more people are excited like you than me for SI's sake.

1 hour ago, grade said:

I'm speaking for myself. Where do imply I'm not? :larry:

I hope more people are excited like you than me for SI's sake.

Putting aside the fact that there will always be people for and against every single thing, SI are perfectly aware they have no competition. To a large extent that drives their actions. If they were on an highly competitive market they would play a very different tune. Their marketing strategy is dictated by the quasi-monopoly hold they have on the market. People get excited because there's nothing else to get excited about. If you want as football management game that encompasses every aspect and covers a crap load of leagues, there's only one yearly release to be excited about. They have a minimum effort marketing strategy because they have no need to do anything else. I'll keep repeating, FM 25 may be an absolute brick and it will still sell in the millions.

3 hours ago, jmlima said:

FM 25 may be an absolute brick and it will still sell in the millions.

That's not true. FM have tons of competition, especially because football is the most popular sport in the world. But their competition has not been able to accomplish what FM has. Naturally, people are going to go for the best. It's not even just about the variety in the game. I don't think you can show me one game that has a better ME than FM.

3 hours ago, jmlima said:

Putting aside the fact that there will always be people for and against every single thing, SI are perfectly aware they have no competition. To a large extent that drives their actions. If they were on an highly competitive market they would play a very different tune. Their marketing strategy is dictated by the quasi-monopoly hold they have on the market. People get excited because there's nothing else to get excited about. If you want as football management game that encompasses every aspect and covers a crap load of leagues, there's only one yearly release to be excited about. They have a minimum effort marketing strategy because they have no need to do anything else. I'll keep repeating, FM 25 may be an absolute brick and it will still sell in the millions.

I think we all know there isn't a competition (or the competition isn't even a contender from FM anyway). I'm saying what Miles states every year, in the marketing videos. something of the likes: If not for last year's sales, there wouldn't be a new FM.

No doubt about that it is going to sell like crazy.

People are bickering here about whether or not the game will be good. Here I am hoping the game will be available in Brazil without having to use any shenanigans. Last year Gamepass stopped working, 3rd parties sell the game for 2x it's value and if you want buy the game 'directly', you'd have to jump through many loopholes.   

17 horas atrás, Brasilia88 disse:

People are bickering here about whether or not the game will be good. Here I am hoping the game will be available in Brazil without having to use any shenanigans. Last year Gamepass stopped working, 3rd parties sell the game for 2x it's value and if you want buy the game 'directly', you'd have to jump through many loopholes.   

Why is not available?