Game 44: Austria vs Türkiye live from the Leipzig Stadium. ITV1 8pm

Who will be the winner?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the winner?

• Austria win
    • Türkiye win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/24 at 18:59

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointed for Austria, but the Turks have had a good tournament too and defended very well tonight. I think they’ll knock the Dutch out.

Enjoyed that. Despite my TV signal dying shortly after Austria scored which was a real ****-boiling moment. Had to watch the final 20 minutes on ITVX, casting it on to a device made the game lag, badly.

14 minutes ago, CFuller said:

WHAT A SAVE! Gunok breaks Baumgartner's and Austria's hearts!

Imagine the irony if ITV show a Red Bull advert after this. :D

Sam got a "he gave them wings" quip in

Posted (edited)

The save really wasn´t that special. The ball was near the keeper, he just needed a good reflex and got it. It was a very good save, but not a Gordon Banks or Oliver Kahn save.

Edited by Carambau

Also Bellingham's overhead was easy and any footballer would have scored it.

The new nerd stat has the header as a 94% chance of a goal, it's a 1 in 18 save in other words.

12 minutes ago, The_jagster said:

Also Bellingham's overhead was easy and any footballer would have scored it.

The new nerd stat has the header as a 94% chance of a goal, it's a 1 in 18 save in other words.

You think so? I dont. These are two completely different chances/goals btw. So there is no need for inadequate populism. But since you started it, I will play along.

Stats will explain everything for sure. Especially in football. Especially if you played in goal yourself and know these kind of saves from headers. For sure.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

It's a terrible take. This forum has seen plenty but downplaying that save is quite something :D

It´s not. I´m just not riding the hype train :D Having played in goal for over 15 years helps a lot in understanding the level of difficulty of this save. It´s a matter of having good reflexes, yes. But the ball is quite close to the keeper that makes it way easier other than when you had to do a big jump to reach it like Gordon Banks in 1970 for example, so comparing it to that is quite a stretch. Plus the keeper could judge early he is going to head it downwards and he didnt hit it very hard either. And I am not saying it wasnt a very good save, it definitely was. But its not as good as it is being made with all that hype.

Edited by Carambau

I think the new nerd stat might be exaggerating a little in the other direction.

But although it's a nice height for the goalkeeper, he has to anticipate the header going back across him very early and get his footwork spot on to get all the way across to it: it's not just an outstretched arm it's a full dive. Think quite a few elite keepers are left doing star jumps as the ball sails past them from there.

There's no unfair hype about it, that's an absolute worldy of a save ffs. 6 yards out, skidding off a soaking wet pitch, and dealt with strongly enough to take it right away from goal rather than back into play where another attacker could challenge to follow it up.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, m_fenton said:

There's no unfair hype about it, that's an absolute worldy of a save ffs. 6 yards out, skidding off a soaking wet pitch, and dealt with strongly enough to take it right away from goal rather than back into play where another attacker could challenge to follow it up.

The soaked pitch wasnt a disadvantage, if anything, it made the ball a small bit slower when it dropped. And of course he put it to the side and not back into play, that lies in the nature of that move as he hits it with speed from the side. When you save a ball like that, it 99% goes off to the side and not back into play.

Edited by Carambau

4 hours ago, av3ry said:

Never a 0.94xG. wouldn't even be a Clear Cut Chance on FM. :brock:

The stat is based not on position of the chance, but the placement and power of the actual shot

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

Demiral should rightly be banned from the quarter final for the wolf salute.

A lot of bilge coming from the Turks that his gesture isn't supposed to be offensive.

Demiral is known to be a genocide denier.

Happy that he doesn't play for my beloved club anymore.

Absolutely spot on. He should be banned for the rest of the tournament. Turkey know how to play the victim card.

Edited by Carambau

11 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Demiral - GONE!

Two match ban.

Funny thing is, Erdogan will visit their game vs Holland and the stadium, consisting 99% of turkish fans, will do this salute AGAIN the whole game long :applause:

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Carambau said:

Funny thing is, Erdogan will visit their game vs Holland and the stadium, consisting 99% of turkish fans, will do this salute AGAIN the whole game long :applause:

Although there is a right wing / Turko-extreme-nationalistic element among the Turkish/Turkish-descended people living in Germany, I know that plenty of them despise right wingers/fascists, like normal people do everywhere. I hope the cameras will highlight that only some in-duh-viduals will show that sign. 

Edited by DJ

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, DJ said:

Although there is a right wing / Turko-extreme-nationalistic element among the Turkish/Turkish-descended people living in Germany, I know that plenty of them despise right wingers/fascists, like normal people do everywhere. I hope the cameras will highlight that only some in-duh-viduals will show that sign. 

I don´t know...

EM 2024: Demiral-Sperre – Türkische Ultras fordern Fans zum Wolfsgruß im Berliner Stadion auf - WELT

I guess we will see tomorrow.

Edited by Carambau

21 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Demiral - GONE!

Two match ban.

Turkey wanted to appeal at CAS, but turns out bans of two matches or less or a ban of a month can't be appealed at CAS according to UEFA rules.
So suspension is definitive.