The Poison Chalice (Need I say anymore)

mark wilson27

July 3rd:

Gareth Southgate has had enough and decided to call time on what was for an England manager a successful period. However with the constant abuse England managers get no matter what they do noone wanted the job, so instead the FA have called upon yours truly, a Football Manager playing 42yr old who has never played the game properly in real life. The local pub team obviously doesn't count.

Anyway England as we all know are probably one of the top nations in the World but have lived off their 1966 World Cup win for far too long. Southgate did come close with the Euros but just fell short in the final. England are currently ranked the 4th best side in the world but have been relegated from the Nations League Division A. The European Championship Qualifying for Euro 2024 hasn't got off to a great start with a 0-0 draw against North Macedonia followed by a 2-0 win over Ukraine but a 1-0 loss against Italy. My side will have five games to turn it around as we sit third in the group

August 28th:

Injury news just before I pick my first squad sees John Stones and Jack Grealish out with injury. Obviously Ivan Toney is suspended for betting infringements.

September 1st:

It is now time for me to pick my first squad for the Euro 2024 Qualifiers against Malta and North Macedonia

| Name                   | Position            | Caps           | Goals          | Club           | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| Jordan Pickford        | GK                  | 54             | -              | Everton        | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| Nick Pope              | GK                  | 10             | -              | Newcastle      | 
| Aaron Ramsdale         | GK                  | 3              | -              | Arsenal        | 
| Harry Maguire          | D (C)               | 57             | 7              | Man UFC        | 
| Fikayo Tomori          | D (C)               | 3              | -              | AC Milan       | 
| Marc Guéhi             | D (C)               | 4              | -              | Crystal Palace | 
| Lewis Dunk             | D (C)               | 1              | -              | Brighton       | 
| Kyle Walker            | D/WB (R)            | 76             | -              | Man City       | 
| Kieran Trippier        | D/WB (R)            | 42             | 1              | Newcastle      | 
| Trent Alexander-Arnold | D/WB (R), DM, M (C) | 20             | 2              | Liverpool      | 
| Declan Rice            | D (C), DM, M (C)    | 43             | 3              | Arsenal        | 
| Reece James            | D (RC), WB (R)      | 16             | -              | Chelsea        | 
| Luke Shaw              | D (LC), WB (L)      | 31             | 3              | Man UFC        | 
| Ben Chilwell           | D/WB (L)            | 18             | 1              | Chelsea        | 
| Jude Bellingham        | DM, M/AM (C)        | 24             | 1              | R. Madrid      | 
| Raheem Sterling        | M/AM (RL)           | 82             | 20             | Chelsea        | 
| James Maddison         | M (LC), AM (RLC)    | 3              | -              | Tottenham      | 
| Mason Mount            | M (C), AM (RLC)     | 36             | 5              | Man UFC        | 
| Phil Foden             | M (C), AM (RLC)     | 25             | 3              | Man City       | 
| Bukayo Saka            | AM (RL)             | 28             | 11             | Arsenal        | 
| Harry Kane             | AM (C), ST (C)      | 84             | 58             | FC Bayern      | 
| Marcus Rashford        | AM (L), ST (C)      | 53             | 16             | Man UFC        | 
| Ollie Watkins          | AM (RL), ST (C)     | 7              | 2              | Aston Villa    | 

EvilDave - Cheers for following. Lets see if I can lead this bunch to glory

September 7th:

I have been asked to name the Captain and Vice Captain. Harry Kane will remain as Captain and Declan Rice has taken over from Jordan Henderson as my Vice.

September 8th:

Malta (h) Euro 2024 Qual Grp C (4/8)

My reign got off to a great start as on the 4th minute R.Sterling volleyed in a D.Rice cross to give D.Ebejer no chance of saving. Soon after we had our next chance as R.Sterling jinked into the area but O.Cremona was hand to stop the run. We piled on the pressure and on the 29th minute we added goal number two as H.Maguire ran from the back with ball and showed the strikers how to do it with a wonderful top corner goal. Seven minutes later we scored again as H.Kane fired in from close range after G.Abela failed to clear the ball. On the 38th minute H.Kane grabbed a second goal as he ran onto a D.Rice through-ball and slotted in under the keeper. Deep into injury time H.Kane completed his hat-trick as P.Foden threaded the ball to his feet and he fired in under the body of D.Ebejer.

I made a couple of changes at half time with O.Watkins and B.Saka coming on for H.Kane and P.Foden. D.Rice took over the Captains armband.

Twelve seconds into the half we grabbed our next goal as O.Watkins headed in a B.Saka cross after some woeful Malta defending. On the 48th minute we scored again as T.Alexander-Arnold came in from the wing and fired in past the keeper. We were making it look too easy but it took till the 78th minute for us to grab the next goal as R.Sterling ran with ease through the defence and unselfishly passed to M.Rashford who tapped in from close range. Four minutes later it was 9-0 as O.Watkins scored his second of the game with a brave header from R.James cross. We managed one more goal in the game as D.Rice slotted in from close range after B.Chilwell lashed a ball across the area. A brilliant start to my reign

England 10-0 Malta R.Sterling 4 (D.Rice), H.Maguire 29, H.Kane 36, 38 (D.Rice), 45+3 (P.Foden), O.Watkins 46 (B.Saka), 82 (R.James), T.Alexander-Arnold 48, M.Rashford 78 (R.Sterling), D.Rice 84 (B.Chilwell)

England: J.Pickford, K.Walker (56-R.James), H.Maguire, M.Guehi, B.Chilwell, J.Bellingham (56-M.Rashford), T.Alexander-Arnold, D.Rice, R.Sterling, P.Foden (45-B.Saka), H.Kane (capt) (45-O.Watkins)

Malta: D.Ebejer, K.Camilleri, O.Cremona (capt), G.Abela, J.Brown, T.Teuma, J.Jones (82-O.Borg), R.Briffa, L.Gambin, I.Cardona, G.Formosa

Booked: G.Abela, T.Teuma, J.Brown (Malta)

Other Grp C Result: North Macedonia 0-3 Italy

The result sees us move into 2nd place in the group 1pt ahead of Ukraine

bigmattb28 - It was a struggle but we managed..............(JUST)

September 11th:

North Macedonia (h) Euro 2024 Qual Grp C (5/8)

We got off to a cracking start as within three minutes we took the lead as B.Saka crossed into the area and J.Bellingham volleyed high into the top corner. Soon after we had another chance as R.Sterling jinked his way into the area but his final effort went wide of the keeper and post. Macedonia weren't getting close to the ball and on the 24th minute a rash challenge by E.Bardhi saw my side awarded a penalty, H.Kane stepped up and fired with pace past S.Dimitrievski. With seven minutes remaining in the half we scored another goal as J.Bellingham returned the favour for B.Saka with a great pass which was lashed into the net. On the stroke of half time we grabbed yet another goal with R.Sterling playing the perfect pass to J.Bellingham who fired the ball with pace past the keeper.

The second half was again dominated by my side and on the 51st minute B.Saka headed in a second goal from a K.Trippier free-kick after H.Kane was fouled by A.Damcevski. Six minutes later K.Trippier was the provider again as his high looping cross was headed past S.Dimitrievski by J.Bellingham for the Real Madrid man to complete his hat-trick. On the 69th minute I brought on P.Foden for J.Bellingham who got a standing ovation from the Wembley crowd. With four minutes remaining in the game we had our final chance as M.Rashford rattled the crossbar from just inside the area.

Not too bad this management malarky, two games, two wins and sixteen goals scored

England 6-0 North Macedonia J.Bellingham 3 (B.Saka), 45 (R.Sterling), 57 (K.Trippier), H.Kane 24 pen, B.Saka 38 (J.Bellingham), 51 (K.Trippier)

England: J.Pickford, K.Trippier, F.Tomori (58-L.Dunk), M.Guehi, R.James, J.Bellingham (69-P.Foden), T.Alexander-Arnold, D.Rice (80-M.Mount), R.Sterling, B.Saka, H.Kane (capt)(58-M.Rashford)

North Macedonia: S.Dimitrievski, V.Musliu, G.Zajkov, A.Damcevski, L.Zuta (69-A.Kireski), A.Ademi (75-E.Rakip), E.Alioski, E.Elmas, E.Bardhi (capt), D.Babunski, B.Miovski (58-A.Trajkovski)

Booked: F.Tomori, R.James, T.Alexander-Arnold (England) / E.Bardhi, V.Musliu, B.Miovski, A.Damcevski, E.Alioski (North Macedonia)

Other Grp C Result: Malta 0-4 Ukraine

The result sees us remain 2nd in the table after five games still one point ahead of Ukraine and two points behind Italy who have a game in hand

October 2nd:

The injury news before I choose my next squad sees Reece James out and Captain Harry Kane out

October 6th:

Its now time for me to pick the squad for the friendly against Bulgaria (75) and the Euro 24 Qualifier against Ukraine (25). The squad is as follows:

| Name                   | Position            | Caps           | Goals          | Club           | 
| Jordan Pickford        | GK                  | 56             | -              | Everton        | 
| Nick Pope              | GK                  | 10             | -              | Newcastle      | 
| Dean Henderson         | GK                  | 1              | -              | Crystal Palace | 
| Harry Maguire          | D (C)               | 58             | 8              | Man UFC        | 
| Fikayo Tomori          | D (C)               | 4              | -              | AC Milan       | 
| Lewis Dunk             | D (C)               | 2              | -              | Brighton       | 
| Ezri Konsa             | D (C)               | 0              | -              | Aston Villa    | 
| Kyle Walker            | D/WB (R)            | 77             | -              | Man City       | 
| Kieran Trippier        | D/WB (R)            | 43             | 1              | Newcastle      | 
| Trent Alexander-Arnold | D/WB (R), DM, M (C) | 22             | 3              | Liverpool      | 
| Declan Rice            | D (C), DM, M (C)    | 45             | 4              | Arsenal        | 
| Rico Lewis             | D/WB (R), DM, M (C) | 0              | -              | Man City       | 
| Ben Chilwell           | D/WB (L)            | 19             | 1              | Chelsea        | 
| Kalvin Phillips        | DM, M (C)           | 27             | 1              | Man City       | 
| Jude Bellingham        | DM, M/AM (C)        | 26             | 4              | R. Madrid      | 
| Raheem Sterling        | M/AM (RL)           | 84             | 21             | Chelsea        | 
| Jack Grealish          | M (RL), AM (RLC)    | 32             | 2              | Man City       | 
| Phil Foden             | M (C), AM (RLC)     | 27             | 3              | Man City       | 
| Jarrod Bowen           | M/AM (RL), ST (C)   | 4              | -              | West Ham       | 
| Bukayo Saka            | AM (RL)             | 30             | 13             | Arsenal        | 
| Marcus Rashford        | AM (L), ST (C)      | 55             | 17             | Man UFC        | 
| Eddie Nketiah          | AM (RL), ST (C)     | 0              | -              | Arsenal        | 
| Ollie Watkins          | AM (RL), ST (C)     | 8              | 4              | Aston Villa    | 

October 13th:

Bulgaria (a) Friendly

No Match Report (See Authors Note below)

Bulgaria 0-3 England B.Chilwell 49, P.Foden 61 (J.Bellingham), J.Grealish 66 (J.Bellingham)

Bulgaria:

England:

Booked: J.Grealish (England)

*Authors Note – I made an error and my assistant managed the friendly game. I forgot to switch to me taking control of friendlies grrrr *

Euro 2024 Qual Grp C Results: North Macedonia 4-0 Malta, Ukraine 4-2 Italy

October 16th:

Ukraine (a) Euro 2024 Qual Grp C (6/8)

A poor start to the game saw us conceding a penalty on the 13th minute as L.Dunk fouled in the area, A.Yarmolenko stepped up and sent D.Henderson the wrong way. Three minutes later though we levelled the scores as P.Foden ran onto a J.Bellingham through-ball and fired under A.Trubin. However on the 24th minute we conceded against as Y.Yarmoliuk crossed into the area and D.Sikan fired in with ease D.Henderson was caught flapping. Ukraine piled forward and on the stroke of half time they made it 3-1 as D.Sikan slotted the ball to the feet of A.Dovbyk who wasted no time in tapping under my keeper.

The second half was two minutes old when S.Kryvtsov made it 4-1 after running onto a V.Tsygankov through-ball. We were all over the shop but on the 69th minute substitute M.Rashford headed in a J.Bellingham cross to give us some hope. Ten minutes later we made it 4-3 as M.Rashford became provider as his pass was curled in by B.Saka. We were playing the better football but deep into injury time R.Malinovskyi threaded the ball to the feet of R.Yaremchuck who lashed in past the helpless D.Henderson.

The result has put our automatic qualification hopes in dire straights. We need two wins in our last two games

Ukraine 5-3 England A.Yarmolenko 13 pen, D.Sikan 24 (Y.Yarmoliuk), A.Dovbyk 45+3 (D.Sikan), S.Kryvtsov 47 (V.Tsygankov), R.Yaremchuck 90+3 (R.Malinovskyi) / P.Foden 16 (J.Bellingham), M.Rashford 69 (J.Bellingham), B.Saka 79 (M.Rashford)

Ukraine: A.Trubin, S.Kryvtsov (64-V.Bondar), I.Zabarnyi, M.Matviienko, O.Zinchenko, A.Yarmolenko, A.Yarmolenko, Y.Yarmoliuk (80-R.Malinovskyi), H.Sudakov, V.Tsygankov (76-R.Yaremchuk), D.Sikan, A.Dovbyk (64-M.Mudryk)

England: D.Henderson, K.Trippier, L.Dunk, H.Maguire, B.Chilwell (53-R.Lewis), J.Bellingham, D.Rice, T.Alexander-Arnold, R.Sterling (53-B.Saka), P.Foden, O.Watkins (53-M.Rashford)

Booked: Y.Yarmoliuk, H.Sudakov (Ukraine) / L.Dunk (England)

• 4 weeks later...

November 7th:

Before my next squad I have been informed that R.James is unavailable for selection due to injury and obviously I.Toney is still suspended

November 9th:

Its now time for to pick the squad for the crunch Euro 2024 Qualifying games against Italy (10) and Malta (172)

The squad is as follows:

| Jason Steele           | GK                  | 0              | -              | Brighton       | 
| Jordan Pickford        | GK                  | 57             | -              | Everton        | 
| Aaron Ramsdale         | GK                  | 3              | -              | Arsenal        | 
| Harry Maguire          | D (C)               | 59             | 8              | Man UFC        | 
| Lewis Dunk             | D (C)               | 3              | -              | Brighton       | 
| Benjamin White         | D (RC)              | 4              | -              | Arsenal        | 
| Joe Gomez              | D (RLC)             | 11             | -              | Liverpool      | 
| Kyle Walker            | D/WB (R)            | 78             | -              | Man City       | 
| Kieran Trippier        | D/WB (R)            | 44             | 1              | Newcastle      | 
| Trent Alexander-Arnold | D/WB (R), DM, M (C) | 24             | 3              | Liverpool      | 
| Declan Rice            | D (C), DM, M (C)    | 47             | 4              | Arsenal        | 
| Rico Lewis             | D/WB (R), DM, M (C) | 1              | -              | Man City       | 
| Ben Chilwell           | D/WB (L)            | 21             | 2              | Chelsea        | 
| Kalvin Phillips        | DM, M (C)           | 27             | 1              | Man City       | 
| Raheem Sterling        | M/AM (RL)           | 86             | 21             | Chelsea        | 
| Jack Grealish          | M (RL), AM (RLC)    | 33             | 3              | Man City       | 
| Marcus Rashford        | M/AM (L), ST (C)    | 57             | 18             | Man UFC        | 
| Phil Foden             | M (C), AM (RLC)     | 29             | 5              | Man City       | 
| Jarrod Bowen           | M/AM (RL), ST (C)   | 4              | -              | West Ham       | 
| Bukayo Saka            | AM (RL)             | 32             | 14             | Arsenal        | 
| Harry Kane             | AM (C), ST (C)      | 86             | 62             | FC Bayern      | 
| Anthony Gordon         | AM (RLC), ST (C)    | 0              | -              | Newcastle      | 
| Ollie Watkins          | AM (RL), ST (C)     | 9              | 4              | Aston Villa    | 

• 2 weeks later...

November 18th:

Italy (h) Euro 2024 Qual Grp C (7/8)

Italy were by far the better side as we struggled with the simple act of football. On the 14th minute they had the first chance as they broke through the defence but J.Pickford was on hand to block the effort. Ten minutes later it was B.White who saved the day with a brilliant tackle in the area. Italy were all over us and on the 34th minute N.Barella headed straight into J.Pickford's arms when it was easier to score. With four minutes remaining in half Italy finally grabbed the lead they deserved as C.Immobile ran through the area with the ball and slotted in under J.Pickford. It got even worse for my side as two minutes later F.Chiesa threaded the ball to the feet of C.Immobile who scored his second of the game.

The second half was all Italy and on the 67th minute C.Immobile had yet another chance with a curling effort which stung the fingers of J.Pickford. Eight minutes later A.Cambiaso had his first chance of the game with a brave header which rattled the crossbar. We weren't even getting close and the game ended with my side not even registering a shot towards goal. The Wembley crowd was far from happy

England 0-2 Italy C.Immobile 41, 43 (F.Chiesa)

England: J.Pickford, K.Walker, H.Maguire, B.White, J.Gomez (64-T.Alexander-Arnold), P.Foden, D.Rice, K.Phillips, R.Sterling (64-A.Gordon), B.Saka, H.Kane

Italy: G.Donnarumma, G.Di Lorenzo, G.Mancini, A.Bastoni, F.Dimarco (64-A.Cambiaso), B.Cristante, M.Verratti, N.Barella, D.Beradi (70-M.Politano), F.Chiesa (58-M.Zaccagni), C.Immobile

Booked: J.Gomez, K.Walker (England) / F.Chiesa (Italy)

Other Grp C Result: North Macedonia 1-3 Ukraine

The results sees my side in 3rd place with Italy and Ukraine both qualifying automatically. I will now have to wait to see about the play-offs. Obviously the FA aren't too chuffed about the fact I have not gained automatic qualification