[FM22] Beyond the Waves: The Story of the Rise of a Vanuatun Coach - Hex-perimentation: One Challenge Fulfilled, Five Still Beckon

Posted (edited)

December 15, 2021

The salty breeze from the Pacific fills my lungs as I sit on the edge of the old wooden pier, the fishing boat bobbing gently against the tide. The sun is beginning to set, casting a golden hue over the waters of Port Vila, the capital of Vanuatu. This city, my home, is located on the island of Efate and is the beating heart of the nation. It’s a place where the modern world brushes up against the ancient, where every corner holds a piece of our rich Melanesian heritage.

spacer.png

I was born here on January 15, 1990. My earliest memories are filled with the sounds of waves crashing, the bustling markets, and the laughter of children playing football in the dusty streets. Port Vila, or simply "Vila" as we locals call it, is more than just a city. It's the economic and commercial center of Vanuatu, home to about 49,034 people as of the 2020 census. This vibrant city has a history as dynamic as its people, having endured the wrath of Cyclone Pam in 2015, yet always bouncing back stronger.

spacer.png

My father, Samuel, a fisherman like his father before him, worked tirelessly to provide for us. My mother, Esther, was a school teacher, her wisdom and patience guiding me through my early years. Our family lived in a modest house near the harbor, in the shadow of the Cathédrale du Sacré-Cœur, a striking symbol of our predominantly Christian community.

spacer.png

Football was more than just a game to me—it was an escape, a passion that lit a fire in my heart. By the time I was six, I was kicking anything that remotely resembled a ball. My parents saw my enthusiasm and encouraged me to join Tafea FC’s youth academy. Those were the happiest days of my life. The camaraderie, the smell of the grass, the thrill of a perfectly executed pass—I lived for those moments.

Tafea FC is an association football team from Port Vila, and they have a storied history. They won the first 15 championships from the start of the Premia Divisen of the Port Vila Football League between 1994 and 2008–09—a world record at the time for the most domestic titles in a row! The team even reached the final of the 2001 Oceania Club Championship Tournament, though they lost to Australia’s Wollongong Wolves. These achievements made Tafea FC a beacon of excellence, and being a part of that was a dream come true for me.

As I grew older, my talent on the field didn't go unnoticed. At 17, I made my debut for Tafea FC’s senior team. It felt like a dream, a step towards a future I had always envisioned. But life, as it often does, had other plans. At 21, a severe knee injury shattered that dream. I remember the day vividly—the pain, both physical and emotional, was unbearable. The doctors said I would never play again. It felt like my world had ended.

With my football career in ruins, I faced a harsh reality. Our family didn’t have the financial means to support my aspirations of becoming a coach. My dreams were put on hold as I joined my father in the fishing trade. The sea was a harsh mistress, and I quickly learned the trade, but my heart remained tethered to the football pitch.

Every evening, after a long day at sea, I would return home and if they were playing watch Kings Utd, our local team. They are a semi-professional team, playing in the second division of the Vanuatu football league. I saw myself in those young players—their hopes, their dreams, and the fire in their eyes. They reminded me of what I had lost and what I still yearned for.

Port Vila, with its vibrant mix of languages—Bislama, English, and French—its bustling harbor, and its blend of Melanesian, Polynesian, and European cultures, is a place that has shaped me profoundly. It's a city of resilience and diversity, much like its people. From the colorful wall paintings adorning the post office to the totem poles near the Parliament, Vila is a city that celebrates its identity and history.

Now, as I sit here, looking out over the water, Kings Utd sits mid-table in the division. It’s been a tough season, but their spirit remains unbroken. I spend my evenings helping them as much as I can, offering advice, organizing training sessions, anything to keep that connection to the game alive.

I often reflect on what could have been. If I hadn’t been injured, if we had more money, if I had pursued coaching right away. But those are just dreams now, fragments of a different life. I find solace in the progress Kings Utd has made, in the joy on the faces of the young players when they score a goal or make a great play.

Life has been a series of challenges, but it has also taught me resilience. I may not have achieved my dreams in the way I envisioned, but I haven’t given up. The journey isn’t over yet. Perhaps, one day, I will find a way to step fully into the role of a coach. For now, I remain grateful for what I have—a family who loves me, a community that supports me, and the game of football that continues to be a source of hope and inspiration.

As the sun dips below the horizon, I rise from the pier, ready to face another day. The path ahead is uncertain, but my resolve remains strong. Football may have taken me off the pitch, but it has never left my heart. And as long as that fire burns, I will continue to pursue my dreams, one step at a time.

spacer.png

Edited by chile_paul

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

January 10, 2022

The start of the new year in Port Vila is always marked with a certain air of hope and renewal. Today, however, felt different. As the sun climbed higher, casting its warm glow over the bustling city, I found myself nervously walking towards the Kings Utd clubhouse. Roy Damelip, the chairman of the club, had asked to meet me, and my mind raced with possibilities.

I say clubhouse - really it is little more than a small shed with some basic facilities on the edge of the shared community pitch that the team use along with a number of other local teams. On match days the crowds gather around the edge of the pitch hollering their support whilst local women sell refreshments from the shed.

Roy was a well-respected figure in our community. His commitment to Kings Utd was unwavering, and he had always been a beacon of support for the team. As I arrived, Roy greeted me with a warm smile and a firm handshake. We sat down across the wooden table on a pair of rickety stools.

"Jonah," he began, his voice steady and sincere, "I've been watching you closely these past few months. Your dedication to the team, even without an official role, has been remarkable. The boys respect you, and it's clear you have a talent for coaching."

I felt a surge of pride and anticipation. Roy's words were more than just compliments; they were a gateway to a dream I had almost given up on.

"Frank Sau has decided to leave us," Roy continued. "He's taken a job outside of football, working for a logistics company in Port Vila. It's a great opportunity for him and his family, but it leaves us in need of a new head coach."

Frank had always been a mentor to many of us. His decision to move on was unexpected but understandable. The logistics job would no doubt offer him stability and better prospects.

"I want you to take over as head coach for the next season," Roy said, leaning forward. "We'll offer you a part-time contract of £120 per week. While it's part-time, it's a decent wage in Vanuatu. I know it will still allow you to help your dad with the fishing business when you're not working at the club. It's just a 1 year contract, I can't commit to any more than that."

My heart raced. This was it—the opportunity I had been waiting for. The chance to step into a role that felt like it was meant for me, while still supporting my family.

"I understand," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. "It's more than enough, Roy. Thank you for the opportunity."

Roy nodded, a look of relief washing over his face. "We're also looking to bring in a director of football who will handle scouting, transfers, and hire a small staff to support the club. Your focus will be on coaching and developing the team."

The prospect of working with a director of football was exciting. It meant I could concentrate on the tactical and motivational aspects of the game, while someone else handled the administrative burdens.

"Our expectations aren't high," Roy added. "We just want the team to make progress, both on and off the pitch. We don't have a transfer budget, but we do have £575 a week for wages. This will mainly be stipends for young players joining the team, to support their development. The rest of the players will remain on amateur contracts."

spacer.png

I nodded, absorbing the information. "I understand. It's about building a foundation and slowly growing from there."

"Exactly," Roy agreed. "The club has just under £10k in the bank. We need to be smart with our resources, but I'm confident we can make this work."

spacer.png

As we wrapped up our meeting, I felt a mix of excitement and apprehension. The task ahead was daunting, but it was also an incredible opportunity. I spent the rest of the day reflecting on Roy's words and what lay ahead. Taking over as head coach was a dream come true, but it was also a huge responsibility. I was determined to prove myself and help Kings Utd rise to new heights.

That evening, as I walked home through the vibrant streets of Port Vila, I felt a renewed sense of purpose. The city, with its rich history and resilient spirit, had shaped me into who I was. Now it was my turn to give back, to contribute to the community that had given me so much.

As I approached my home, I saw my father mending nets by the shore. The sight reminded me of the strength and resilience that ran in our family. I knew I had their support, and that was all I needed to face the challenges ahead.

I sat down beside my father, watching the waves crash against the shore. "Dad, I've been offered the head coach position at Kings Utd."

He looked at me, his eyes filled with pride. "That's wonderful news, Jonah. I always knew you'd find your way back to football."

"And the best part is," I added, "the wage is good enough that I can still help you with the fishing business."

"I won't let you down," I said, determination in my voice.

"You never have," he replied, giving me a reassuring pat on the back.

spacer.png

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

March 19, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new season, and I can barely contain my excitement. The past few months have been a whirlwind of activity, and as I sit here reflecting on the journey so far, I feel a mixture of pride, anticipation, and a touch of nervousness.

Roy Damelip, true to his word, has assembled a small but dedicated team to support me. They are all paid peanuts compared to me, which adds to the pressure! Essentially they are only expected to work for an hour or two a week, basically just when the team are playing and their love and dedication for the club and the game is what drives them on. The most significant addition has been George Iaruel, our new Director of Football. I've known George for a while as he's been a regular at our games and he has been an avid follower of Vanuatan football for many years. His son Henry also plays for the club as one of the youth team. Despite not having a budget, George managed to bring in two promising young players: Steven Leo, a 16-year-old goalkeeper, and Bill Kere, also 16, who plays central defense. These young talents have injected fresh energy into the squad and have shown tremendous potential during the pre-season.

spacer.png

Our preparation has gone better than I could have hoped. The players have responded positively to my training routines and tactical approach. I've implemented a 4-3-2-1 formation, focusing on dominating possession and pressing high up the pitch. This strategy seems to suit our squad's strengths, and the results during pre-season friendlies have been encouraging.

spacer.png

Charles Kalmet has been a revelation in midfield. His ability to win the ball and transition quickly into attack has been a cornerstone of our tactics. I'm probably going to partner him with his brother Eddie up front, despite him not being the backroom teams first pick, I think he is showing great promise as our main striker. The chemistry between the Kalmet brothers is palpable, and I believe they will be key to our success this season.

spacer.png

One of the toughest decisions I've had to make was regarding the club captaincy. Our previous captain, George Alick, was our first-team goalkeeper. However, Steven Leo's performances have been exceptional, and he has secured the starting spot for the season. This meant I had to move George to the under-20 squad to avoid any disruptions within the first team. It was a difficult conversation, and understandably, George was not pleased. But it was a necessary decision for the team's progress. In George's place, Charles Kalmet will take over as club captain, with Philip Bihu as vice-captain.

Our league system in Vanuatu consists of three divisions. Kings Utd competes in the bottom division, which is split into two leagues - the Port Vila league which we play in has 22 clubs playing each other once over the season. The other league is the Shefa league and is smaller with only 11 teams and they play each other twice. The top two teams from our league and the top team from the Shefa league are promoted at the end of the campaign to the First Division which is split into 5 regional leagues. Last season, Yatel won the Port Vila second division league, achieving the incredible feat of winning every single game. This season, the third-placed team from last year, Westtan Broncos, are heavy favorites to lift the title. All of the clubs in Vanuatu are either amateur of semi-pro with players balancing the commitments of playing for their team with a day job that provides them and their families with an income to live on.

spacer.png

The island nature of our country makes scheduling games a logistical challenge with travel around and between the islands being costly and impacted by the weather. This means we often face awkward schedules, with some clubs starting their campaigns months after others. For instance, we begin with five consecutive home games, which is both a blessing and a curse. It gives us a chance to build momentum early on, but it also means we will have a tough run of away games later in the season.

Despite these challenges, I feel optimistic. The support from Roy and George, the dedication of our small staff, and the enthusiasm of the players have all contributed to a positive atmosphere at the club. Tomorrow, we step onto the pitch to start our campaign, and I believe we are ready to make our mark.

As I finish writing this entry, I can hear the waves crashing against the shore outside my window. Port Vila is quiet tonight, but tomorrow it will come alive with the sounds of football. This city has given me so much, and now it's my turn to give back.

The journey ahead won't be easy, but I am ready for the challenge. With the team we've assembled and the spirit we've cultivated, I believe Kings Utd can achieve something special this season.

Tomorrow, we begin our fight for promotion. For now, I need to rest. The dawn of a new season awaits.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

June 30, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Approaching the midpoint of the season, I’m filled with a sense of pride and anticipation. Kings Utd sit proudly at the top of the table with seven wins and two draws from our first nine games. It’s been an exhilarating journey so far, and the team has exceeded all my expectations. Despite all looking rosy and a 10 point gap between us and the second placed team, the nature of the league schedule can be misleading. Pre-season favourites Westtan Bronco's have only played 4 games and have won 3 of them, so they are only just behind us if they continue to win.

spacer.png

One of the pivotal moments of the season came right at the start. In our first game against Siwi on March 20th, Philip Bihu scored a hat-trick, and Eddie Kalmet added another, securing a commanding 4-0 victory. This set the tone for our campaign and showcased our attacking prowess. Philip has been a revelation. In friendlies, I noticed he was missing loads of chances in his preferred position on the right wing. I was asking him to cut inside as an inverted winger, but since he is predominantly right-footed, his finishing was poor. I decided to move him to the left side in an inverted forward role, and the results paid off immediately. Philip has been immense, scoring 10 goals in 8 appearances and becoming our star player.

spacer.png

Eddie Kalmet has also been brilliant, both scoring and creating chances. His work rate and ability to link up play have been invaluable. His goals have often come at crucial moments, helping us secure vital points.

spacer.png

Key Matches

Mighty Green (H) – April 3, 2022 The 1-1 draw against Mighty Green could have been a turning point. We had taken a 67th minute lead thanks to Philip Bihu when Julian Philip’s red card could have derailed our great start. However, the team’s resilience shone through as we fought hard to secure the draw despite Mighty Green getting an equalizer and limiting us to just the one point.

Black Diamonds (A) – May 29, 2022 The 6-0 demolition of Black Diamonds was a statement of our intent. They had been relegated from League 1 last season and were second in the table at the time. It was also our first away game of the season. We built solid foundations until we scored in the 40th minute, then counter-attacked effectively against their high line, running into a 4-0 lead by the 46th minute, effectively ending the game. Philip Bihu and Eddie Kalmet were unstoppable, and the whole team performed brilliantly.

Other Notable Results

• Varona (H) – April 10, 2022: We faced a determined Varona side in what turned out to be one of our most challenging matches. Both teams were well-organized defensively, and clear-cut chances were hard to come by. The deadlock was finally broken in the 80th minute. Brian William picked up the ball just outside the penalty area, dribbled past two defenders, and unleashed a low, powerful shot that nestled into the bottom corner. The crowd erupted, and we held on for a tight 1-0 victory.

Blacksands Eagles (H) – May 1, 2022: This match saw us put on a confident display. We dominated possession and pressed high from the start. Eddie Kalmet opened the scoring in the 17th minute, deftly chipping the ball over the goalkeeper after a slick through ball from Charles Kalmet. In the second half, Presley Thomas doubled our lead with a towering header from a corner. Our defense stood firm, ensuring a comfortable 2-0 win.

Naka Utd (H) – May 8, 2022: This encounter was a rollercoaster. We took an early lead in the 3rd minute through Brian William, who finished off a well-worked team move. However, Naka Utd fought back, scoring twice to take the lead. Bong Molivakarua then leveled the score for us in the 51st minute with a thunderous strike from 25 yards out. Both teams had chances to win it, but the match ended in a hard-fought 2-2 draw.

Luvil (A) – June 2, 2022: Our trip to Luvil was a thriller. Brian William set the tone with a goal in the 2nd minute, calmly slotting the ball home after a defensive error. Julian Philip doubled our lead in the 9th minute with a glancing header from a free-kick. Luvil pulled one back, but Eddie Kalmet restored our two-goal cushion with a composed finish in the 24th minute. The hosts scored again to make it 3-2, but Eddie put the game beyond doubt with his second goal in the 80th minute, securing a thrilling 4-2 victory.

Cultures Utd (A) – June 12, 2022: We traveled to Cultures Utd with confidence and delivered a solid performance. Philip Bihu opened the scoring in the 12th minute, finishing off a swift counter-attack with a clinical strike. Presley Thomas added a second goal in the 33rd minute, heading in a perfectly placed cross. Our defense was rock solid, ensuring a 2-0 win and another clean sheet.

AS Tewalu (H) – June 25, 2022: This was one of our most dominant performances of the season. Philip Bihu was unstoppable, scoring a hat-trick. His first goal came in the 11th minute, a brilliant solo effort. He added a second in the 34th minute with a tap-in after a goalmouth scramble and completed his hat-trick with a curling effort in the 39th minute. Presley Thomas got in on the act with two goals of his own, scoring a powerful header in the 36th minute and finishing off a slick passing move in the 80th minute. The 5-0 win was a testament to our attacking prowess and defensive solidity.

Challenges Ahead

Despite our success, challenges loom on the horizon. Our star players, Philip Bihu and Charles Kalmet, are attracting attention from other clubs in Vanuatu. With the transfer window open, we’ve already had bids for both. Since they are on amateur contracts, we won’t receive any compensation if they choose to leave. It’s a precarious situation, and I’m working hard to convince them to stay and see the season through with us.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In other news, Presley Willie has joined the club as my assistant manager, helping out with training and generally anything that I ask him to do! At just 32 years old he's young, like myself but he seems adaptable and has been maintaining discipline with players on the training pitch and seems to be working well with the younger players. It will be good to see how he gets on.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

August 28, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

As the transfer window slams shut, I find myself enveloped in a whirlwind of emotions. The past few weeks have been a tumultuous ride, filled with a blend of frustration, sadness, and hope.

The biggest blow came with Philip Bihu’s decision to leave us for Napuram. Despite our best efforts to keep him, including a renewed contract offer with promises of promotion and an enhanced pay-per-play package, he chose to pursue his career in the league above. I can't fault him for wanting to test himself at a higher level, but it still stings. Philip has been immense for us, and his departure leaves a gaping hole in our attack.

spacer.png

Adding to the frustration, Bong Molivakarua also opted to join Napuram. Losing two key players to the same team feels like a double punch to the gut. And just when I thought things couldn't get worse, Brian William surprised us all by moving to Lopatu. Lopatu, a struggling club in our own league, seems like a step down for him, and I can't help but feel bewildered by his choice.

spacer.png

Yet, amidst the departures, there are glimmers of hope. Charles Kalmet, our steadfast defensive midfielder, received numerous offers but chose to stay. His loyalty, perhaps driven by a desire to continue playing alongside his brother Eddie, has been a beacon of light in these uncertain times. George Iaruel, our Director of Football, had his phone ringing off the hook on deadline day with offers for Charles, but Charles's resolute decision to stay has been a huge morale boost for the team.

spacer.png

On the positive side, George has been busy orchestrating some exciting incomings. We’ve brought in several young talents, each bringing fresh energy and potential to the squad. Charles Damelip, our chairman’s nephew, joins us as a promising winger. Charley Batick is a strong addition to our central defense, while Karl Thomas adds depth on the wing. Midfielder John Daniel joined from Mauwia, only to suffer a cruel blow by breaking his ankle in an U20 friendly as he was building up match fitness. It will be a tough journey for him to recover, but we are all behind him.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Despite the upheaval, our form in the league has been nothing short of phenomenal. We’ve won five games out of five, maintaining our position at the top of the table. The team has shown incredible resilience and spirit, and I’m immensely proud of how we’ve handled ourselves amidst the transfer chaos.

Still, the departures weigh heavily on my mind. Can we sustain this form without Philip, Bong, and Brian? Only time will tell. For now, we push forward, driven by the hope that our new arrivals will step up and fill the void left by those who have moved on. 

spacer.png

On a more personal note, my life has changed dramatically since taking on the head coach role at Kings Utd. Balancing my responsibilities at the club with helping my father’s fishing business has been a delicate dance. There are days when I feel stretched thin, trying to give my all to both passions.

My father, ever the pragmatist, often reminds me during our early morning fishing trips, "Jonah, the sea will always be here. But this chance you've got with football, it’s special." He’s right, of course. This opportunity is something I've dreamt of, and seeing the team's progress so far has been immensely gratifying.

My friends have also noticed the shift in my life. They’ve been supportive, though they joke about how I’ve become "the busy man." Despite the increased workload, I make it a point to stay connected with them, often meeting up for a drink or a casual game of football. They remind me to take a breath and enjoy the ride, even when things get tough.

Managing the team has brought its own set of challenges, but it's also been incredibly rewarding. Seeing players like Eddie Kalmet and Charles Kalmet grow under my guidance is a testament to the hard work we’re all putting in. The camaraderie in the squad, despite the recent departures, has been uplifting. We’re more than a team; we’re a family.

Balancing these dual roles has required careful time management and a lot of late nights. But every bit of it is worth it when I see the team succeed on the pitch.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

August 30, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

One of the toughest decisions I've faced as head coach came up today with a situation involving George Alick. George, our former captain and first-team goalkeeper, had never been happy since I relieved him of the captaincy earlier in the season. His attitude had been simmering ever since, and it reached a boiling point today.

George's frustration at his lack of playing time was understandable. He approached me after one of our training sessions, his voice tinged with anger and disappointment. "I thought I was supposed to be the first-team keeper, Jonah, but you haven't given me a game all season" he said, his eyes reflecting a mix of hurt and frustration. "This isn't what I signed up for."

I had noticed his discontent growing, but this confrontation put everything into sharp focus. George had been an integral part of the team for years, but his behavior was starting to affect the squad's morale. His resentment was palpable, and I realized that maintaining harmony within the team was paramount.

We had a frank conversation in my office. "George, I understand where you're coming from," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "But we need everyone on board, supporting each other. Your attitude is starting to affect the rest of the squad."

He looked at me, his jaw clenched. "So, what now? You’re just going to let me go?"

The words weighed heavily on me. George had been with Kings Utd through thick and thin. But I knew I had to make the hard choice. "I think it's best for both you and the team if we part ways," I said, feeling a lump in my throat. "You've been a great servant to the club, but we need to move forward."

The silence that followed was deafening. George stood up, giving me a curt nod before leaving the room. Watching him walk away was one of the hardest moments I've experienced in this role.

Releasing George was not a decision I took lightly. It was a painful reminder of the tough choices that come with leadership. His departure was a loss, but it was necessary to maintain the unity and focus of the squad. 

It was a difficult day, but one that underscored the complexities of management. Sometimes, for the greater good of the team, hard decisions have to be made. And while it hurt to let George go, I knew it was the right move to keep the team moving forward.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

September 1, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Roy had given me a call earlier today and asked if I would go and meet with our new "Head of Youth Development", Jackson Bule. In reality, Jackson isn't an experienced football scout or coach; he's the PE teacher from the local high school. Roy has agreed to pay him £6 a week to run an after-school football training session and keep an eye out for any promising young talent.

Our first meeting was at one of these after-school sessions. As I walked onto the field, I saw Jackson already in the thick of it, barking instructions at a group of wide-eyed youngsters. His approach was... intense. At one point, I watched as he lost his temper with one of the kids who kept missing passes. “Billy! How many times do I have to tell you to keep your head up?” he shouted, his face reddening. The kid, probably no older than twelve, looked like he was on the verge of tears.

Despite Jackson's temperament, there were some promising players in the group. A few decent midfielders caught my eye with their natural awareness and footwork. There was also a young striker who stood out, but that might have been due to the poor goalkeeper he was up against. The lad in goal was having a shocker, letting in almost every shot that came his way.

spacer.png

After the session, Jackson and I sat down to discuss our next steps. "These kids need proper equipment," Jackson said, still a bit riled up from the training. "They’re playing with barely anything."

I couldn't agree more. The kids were running around in mismatched clothes, using old, worn-out balls. We made an appointment to see Roy and convinced him to invest in some basic training equipment for the kids. With the £100 budget Roy agreed to, we could buy some training bibs, a couple of extra balls, and some cones. It wasn’t much, but it was a start.

Jackson, always ambitious, started talking about extending our youth network and building links with other schools. "We could really develop a proper youth system here, Jonah," he said enthusiastically. "If we could just get a bit more investment, we could—"

Roy, who had been listening with a stern expression, cut him off. "Jackson, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let's see how these sessions go first."

Jackson got the message loud and clear. He might have been pushing his luck, but his passion for developing young talent was undeniable. As we left Roy's office, I couldn't help but feel a mixture of hope and apprehension. Jackson's enthusiasm could be the spark we need to develop a strong youth program, but his temper and ambitious nature might also lead to challenges.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Balancing my responsibilities with the club and helping out with my dad’s fishing business is still a juggling act. Early mornings on the boat, afternoons at training, and evenings spent strategizing are becoming my new norm. My friends have started to notice the change too. "You look like you haven’t slept in days, Jonah," one of them commented recently. "You sure you can handle all this?"

It's tough, but seeing those kids out on the field, knowing we're building something for the future, makes it all worthwhile. 

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

October 4, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

spacer.png

Promotion to the First Division! It still feels surreal. When I look back at the journey we’ve been on, it’s a mix of hard work, perseverance, and a bit of luck. Our defining moment came on September 28th against Westtan Bronco's, the pre-season favorites who had been breathing down our necks all season.

spacer.png

We knew the stakes were high. If they won, they would overtake us and snatch first place. The tension was palpable, both on the pitch and on the touchline. The first 25 minutes were a midfield slog, neither side giving an inch. But then, on the 28th minute, we were awarded a free kick just outside the box. Presley Thomas, with all the confidence in the world, stepped up and delivered a beautiful curling shot that sailed into the top corner. The roar from our bench was deafening.

That goal shifted the momentum. We started to assert our dominance, but the threat of a comeback from Westtan Bronco's was ever-present. The breakthrough to seal the game came when John Alick, who had come on as a substitute, delivered a defense-splitting pass from his right-back position. Joseph Bule latched onto it, calmly slotting the ball past their keeper. It was a moment of pure elation.

While that victory put us in a commanding position, it was our next game against Sumat that confirmed our promotion. I gathered the team before the match and tried to lower their expectations, telling them to focus on playing their game and not to worry about the outcome. As it turned out, I needn’t have bothered. They were magnificent, dismantling Sumat with a 5-0 victory with the chairman's nephew picking up a hat-trick!

spacer.png

The celebrations that followed were joyous but measured. We are, after all, a small semi-pro club with no illusions of grandeur. After the final whistle, the lads were buzzing. Charles and Eddie Kalmet led the cheers in the dressing room, their bond stronger than ever. Presley Thomas, our free-kick hero, was all smiles, surrounded by teammates patting him on the back.

We held a small gathering at the local community center. My father, ever the practical man, reminded me to get some rest as we still had work to do. Friends and family mingled with the players, sharing in the pride and joy of our achievement. Jackson Bule, our new Head of Youth Development, brought some of the youngsters along. Despite his stern demeanor on the field, it was clear he was proud of what we had accomplished.

George Iaruel was there too, quietly taking it all in. He’s been a steadying influence, and his efforts in assembling this team have been invaluable. Even Roy Damelip, allowed himself a rare moment of celebration, though he was quick to remind us that the season wasn't over yet.

We’ve secured promotion, but the fight isn’t over. We’re still in contention for the championship title and are competing in the PVFA Shield cup competition. There's no time for complacency. The lads know this, and while the celebrations were heartfelt, they were also subdued with a shared understanding that there’s more work to be done.

This promotion is not just a testament to the team's hard work, but also to the community that supports us. We’re a tiny club in a country with little influence on the footballing world, but today, we’ve achieved something remarkable.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

October 16, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

I'm struggling to keep my emotions in check as I write this. Losing my first game in charge is a bitter pill to swallow, and it's hard not to feel like I've let everyone down. The fixture list was brutal, with a league game against 6th place Redal on Saturday and a cup fixture scheduled for Monday. I made the call to rest some of the senior team and play some of the U20s, with Charles Kalmet benched as he was one yellow card away from suspension. In hindsight, it was a gamble I shouldn't have taken.

Redal came out strong, and we just couldn't match their intensity. We held our own for most of the game, but their persistence paid off, and they scored the only goal of the match. The final whistle felt like a punch to the gut. I can't help but blame myself. I made the decisions, and they didn't pay off. It’s hard to shake off the feeling that I’ve let the team and our supporters down.

The implications of this loss are huge. If we and Westtan Bronco's win all our remaining games, we'll be level on points. Thankfully, we have a substantially better goal difference, which means the title is still in our hands. But we can't afford any more slip-ups, especially in our final game away to Vanuatu Academy.

After the game, I sat alone in the dressing room, replaying every decision in my mind. What if I had played Charles Kalmet? What if I had started more of the senior players? It's easy to second-guess yourself when things go wrong. The lads tried to console me, but it's hard not to feel the weight of responsibility.

I had a long conversation with my dad when I got home. He’s always been my rock, and he reminded me that setbacks are part of the journey. He shared stories of tough times in the fishing business, how they had to make difficult decisions, and how they bounced back stronger. His words were comforting, but the frustration still lingers.

George Iaruel, our Director of Football, also had a word with me. He reminded me that we're still in a strong position, that we've already secured promotion which was beyond our wildest dreams at the start of the season and that one loss won't define us. He's right, of course, but it’s hard to see the bigger picture right now.

I need to regroup and refocus. We have a crucial game in the cup on Monday against Premier League side Sia Rigo FC before the final league game against Vanuatu Academy coming up, and we can't afford to let this loss affect us. I owe it to the team to stay strong and lead by example. We’ve come too far to let this slip away now.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

October 17, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Argh! The highs and lows in this game. It's the evening after our intense PVFA Shield Cup match against Premier League side Sia-Rigo, and I can hardly believe what unfolded. This game was meant to be a formality for Sia-Rigo; we were expected to lose. But football, as always, has its way of surprising us all.

We entered the match knowing the odds were against us. Sia-Rigo, a Premier League team, boasted experience and skill far beyond our own. Yet, we were determined to put up a fight. The first half was a gritty battle, and we managed to hold our ground. However, the real turning point came in the 49th minute when Roy Manuriki was sent off for Sia-Rigo. This was our chance, and I urged the boys to press harder.

Despite being a man down, Sia-Rigo's defense remained impenetrable. We pushed, battled, and created chances, but nothing seemed to break their resolve. As the game stretched into extra time, fatigue began to set in. Then, remarkably, Sia-Rigo had a second player sent off. With a two-man advantage, we threw everything we had at them, but still, they held firm.

The match eventually went to penalties, and our players were visibly exhausted. Playing 210 minutes of football over three days had taken its toll. Eddie Kalmet confidently scored our first penalty, but then the tide seemed to turn against us. Charles Kalmet and Jayson Tommy both had their penalties saved, and it looked like our cup run was over.

However, fortune favored us as Sia-Rigo's third penalty taker missed, maintaining their one-goal advantage but keeping us in the game. The tension was unbearable as we reached the fifth and final penalty. Sia-Rigo's player needed only to score to send us out, but to our amazement, he missed, skying the ball over the bar.

Sudden death penalties commenced, and unexpectedly, our goalkeeper Steven Leo stepped up for our sixth penalty. It was never part of our plan, but he calmly slotted it home, bringing the score level. Joseph Kaltack followed, scoring our seventh penalty with ease.

Sia-Rigo's seventh penalty taker was visibly nervous. He didn't stop to compose himself after his walk up from the half way line and his wild shot soared over the bar, sealing their fate and sending us through to the next round.

The euphoria that followed was indescribable. The players, staff, and our loyal fans erupted in celebration. It was a moment of pure joy and triumph, a testament to our determination and resilience. Despite our recent setbacks, we proved that we could compete with the best and come out on top.

Reflecting on the game, I’m filled with immense pride. The boys gave everything they had and more. It’s moments like these that remind me why I love this sport. We may be a small, semi-pro club with limited resources, but we have the heart and spirit of champions.

Tonight, we celebrate. Tomorrow, we reset and prepare for the next challenge.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

October 20, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

After a few days to let my emotions settle, I had a constructive meeting with George Iaruel and Jackson Bule to discuss the youth prospects. It's been a challenging week, but taking a step back and focusing on the future gave me a much-needed perspective.

We sat down in my office, papers and notes spread out in front of us, reviewing the potential of the young players Jackson has been coaching. The general consensus was overwhelmingly positive. There is a huge amount of potential among the youngsters, some who could possibly become elite talents with the proper support and coaching. Jackson's opinion, which had initially been quite harsh, has notably softened, especially regarding the young goalkeeper, Samuel Avock. During our first training session together, Samuel had a nightmare performance, but Jackson now sees a raw talent that, with patience and development, could flourish.

spacer.png

Despite the promising outlook, we all agreed that these young players need significant development before they are ready for the first team. They have the potential, but turning potential into performance requires time, effort, and resources.

The meeting took a somber turn when we discussed Samuel Aiviji. The young attacking midfielder suffered a horrific broken leg after a poorly timed challenge in an U20 match. It's a devastating injury, one that will rule him out for at least 7-8 months. As someone who has experienced the highs and lows of a football career, I know how hard it can be to come back from such a setback.

spacer.png

Samuel is currently in the hospital, undergoing surgery to repair the break. The physical recovery will be long and arduous, but the mental recovery is often the most challenging part. Once he's out and about, I’m going to take him under my wing. He’ll need all the support he can get, not just to heal his body but to keep his spirit intact.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

November 7, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Today has been a whirlwind of emotions. After everything we've been through, it seems almost surreal to write this, but we've made it to the final of the PVFA Shield Cup. This journey has been nothing short of a miracle.

After our triumph over Sia-Rigo, we had a 12-day break before the quarter-final. To keep the team sharp, we scheduled a friendly match, expecting an easy morale-boosting win. But football, in its unpredictable nature, had other plans. We lost inexplicably, and it was a sobering reminder of our vulnerabilities. This meant we had gone four games without a win, excluding the penalties against Sia-Rigo. My worry grew as we headed into the quarter-final against First Division side Melston.

The PVFA Shield's scheduling format always favors the lower-ranked team with home advantage. We took comfort in this as we prepared for Melston. The game was intense and tightly contested. We fell behind in the 60th minute, and it felt like our cup dream was slipping away. But then, in the 74th minute, Charles Damelip was brought down in the box. Eddie Kalmet stepped up and converted the penalty with his usual composure, leveling the score. The crowd's roar was deafening, and it seemed to fuel our resolve. Damelip, seeking his own moment in the spotlight, scored a brilliant goal in the 84th minute, securing our place in the semi-finals.

Our final league game loomed large, especially with Westtan Bronco's closing the gap in goal difference. We needed a win to clinch the title. The match began nervously, with our team earning four yellow cards in the first 25 minutes. I was on the touchline, yelling for the players to stay composed and avoid any send-offs. The tension broke when Damelip scored in the 36th minute. His second goal in the 50th minute allowed me to finally breathe.

What came next was unexpected. I had prepared myself for a tense wait to see if Westtan Bronco's could catch up on goal difference. But then, league officials appeared with the trophy. To my astonishment, the league is decided by head-to-head records when points are equal, and we couldn't be caught. We were champions!

spacer.png

Today, we faced Yatel in the semi-final, a team that had won League 2 last season without dropping a point and were set for back-to-back promotions. They were formidable opponents. The game was a test of our mettle. Jayson Tommy opened the scoring, and Eddie Kalmet added a penalty to give us a two-goal lead. The second half was fraught with challenges. Charles Kalmet was sent off after receiving two yellow cards in quick succession, and Joseph Kaltack saw red in the 91st minute. We were down to nine men, but somehow, we held on to secure a 2-1 victory.

As I sit here, still shaking from the day's events, I can't help but reflect on how far we've come. The team had been ready to break for the end of the season, but now we have one more game to play—the final. It's almost unbelievable.

spacer.png

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

November 17, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Yesterday was a day that will live long in my memory, a culmination of an incredible journey that saw our small club from Vanuatu reach the finals of the PVFA Shield Cup. As I sit here reflecting on the events of the day, I feel a mix of pride, nostalgia, and a tinge of sadness at what might have been.

In the days leading up to the final, the excitement around the club was palpable. Friends and family were buzzing with anticipation. My father, who had been my rock throughout this journey, couldn't hide his pride and excitement. The night before the final, my parents surprised me with a brand-new suit. It was a navy blue number with a white shirt and a tie in the club colours. They had bought it for me as a token of their pride and support, and whilst I felt a bit ridiculous in it, it meant the world to me.

George Iaruel, Preley Willie and Jackson Bule, my right-hand men, were as excited as the players themselves. Even the normally reserved chairman, Roy, had a spring in his step, talking animatedly about the final with anyone who would listen.

spacer.png

The atmosphere around the ground was frenzied. Every training session felt like a public event, with fans turning up in droves to watch and cheer us on. The players, who are all part-time and juggle their football commitments with other jobs—fishermen, postmen, hotel staff, lorry drivers—showed incredible dedication. Some employers even gave them time off to help prepare for the big game. I had to constantly remind the team to stay focused and manage their expectations. We were, after all, rank outsiders, with some bookies giving odds of 33-1 against us. ABM Galaxy, the reigning champions, had a squad that included a Brazilian player and more than 100 national team caps amassed amongst their ranks.

spacer.png

The journey to the newly constructed 6,500-seat Freshwater Stadium was surreal. For many of our players, this was their first experience at such a venue. Built for the national team and the OFC Champions League final when it was played in Vanuatu, the stadium was a symbol of footballing excellence in our country.

The sights and sounds were overwhelming—the hum of excited chatter, the smell of fresh grass mixed with the unique scent of Vanuatu's tropical air, the vibrant colors of team banners, and the deafening roar of fans. Walking into the stadium, I could see the awe and excitement in the players' eyes. This was a dream come true for many of them.

I wore my new suit for the occasion, feeling a mix of pride and responsibility. As we walked into the stadium, I could feel the weight of the moment pressing down on my shoulders. But I also felt an incredible sense of pride in how far we had come.

The game itself was a testament to our defensive discipline. From the outset, we set up to frustrate ABM Galaxy, and for large parts of the game, we succeeded. We began to dominate possession, something I never imagined we would do against such a formidable opponent.

In the 29th minute, however, a moment of controversy struck. Julian Philip was harshly adjudged to have fouled an ABM player during a corner, and the referee awarded a penalty. The ABM player calmly slotted it away, and we found ourselves trailing.

We continued to fight, but in the 59th minute, a long pass saw their right winger, Jayson Timatua, escape from our left back Steven Coulon and tuck away a second goal. At that point, it was clear that recovering would be nearly impossible. Despite the setback, our players continued to fight valiantly.

In the dying moments of the game, with virtually the last kick, young 16-year-old central defender Bill Kere steered a header home. It was a consolation goal, but it was a testament to our never-say-die attitude. The final whistle blew, and we had lost 2-1.

spacer.png

As we left the pitch, I couldn't help but feel an immense sense of pride. We had gone toe-to-toe with the reigning champions, held our own, and even managed to dominate possession for parts of the game. The players had given everything, and despite the loss, they held their heads high.

In the locker room, I told the team how proud I was of their effort, their heart, and their spirit. They had achieved something remarkable, and this journey was only the beginning.

The bus ride back was quiet, a mixture of exhaustion and contemplation. I thought about the journey ahead, the young players who would now have the confidence to push on, and the belief that we could achieve even more.

Back at home, my parents waited up for me. We sat together, talking late into the night about the game, the season, and the future. Despite the loss, I felt hopeful and excited for what lies ahead. We had shown that Kings United, a tiny club with no money and no influence, could stand toe-to-toe with the best. And for that, I couldn't be prouder.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

November 30, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

After all the excitement and celebrations had finally died down, life slowly returned to normal. The players went back to their primary jobs, whether that was fishing, driving lorries, working at hotels, or delivering mail. The off-season brought a sense of quiet reflection, but also a lingering anxiety about the future.

It was on a crisp late-November morning when my phone buzzed with a call from Roy. He wanted to meet and discuss my contract. My stomach did a little flip. Despite our remarkable achievements, I knew the club's finances were precarious. The £10,000 we had in the bank at the start of the season had all but vanished, and while we hoped for new sponsorship money, nothing was guaranteed.

spacer.png

Walking into Roy's office, my nerves were almost tangible. My mind raced with thoughts of what could go wrong. As I stepped inside, Roy immediately sensed my unease and gestured for me to sit down at his desk. With a reassuring smile, he presented a new one-year contract offering the same £120 a week. "Jonah," he said, "you're doing an unbelievable job. You're clearly the right person for this club."

Feeling a surge of boldness, I decided to chance my arm. "Roy, would you consider a two-year contract and a small pay rise to £140 a week?" I asked, my voice steady but hopeful.

His demeanor changed instantly. His smile faded, and his eyes narrowed. "Jonah," he said, his tone firm, "I'm offering what we can afford. We can't stretch any further." Realizing my mistake, I quickly signed the contract in front of me. I couldn't risk losing the opportunity I had been given.

spacer.png

Roy's mood softened as we shook hands. He then laid out his expectations for the season ahead. "We need to work within the wage budget, which I'm extending to £800 a week," he explained. "I also expect us to bravely fight against relegation. Continue to implement your style of attacking, high-tempo pressing, and possession-based football. And Jonah, we need to make more efforts to exploit set-piece opportunities."

I nodded, absorbing every word. "Understood, Roy. I'll give it my all," I promised.

spacer.png

As the conversation was wrapping up, Roy casually dropped a bombshell. "By the way, Jonah, within the next five years, I have an ambition to build our own stadium."

I must have looked stunned because he chuckled. "I know it seems far-fetched," he said, "but the current arrangement of just playing on a shared community pitch with fans standing around the edge isn't feasible if we want to progress."

"Where do you plan to find the money for that?" I asked, genuinely curious and slightly incredulous.

Roy just smiled enigmatically. "Leave that to me," he said. "I've got a few ideas."

Leaving the office, I felt a mixture of relief and determination. The immediate tension had dissolved, replaced by a clear sense of purpose. I headed home to celebrate with my friends and family, who had been my support system throughout this journey. The atmosphere was warm and jubilant, but my mind was already spinning with plans for the next season.

That night, as I lay in bed, my thoughts turned to the squad. We needed to strengthen in key areas and ensure that the young talents we had nurtured were ready to step up. I thought about the dedication of players like Eddie and Charles Kalmet, their relentless drive and determination. I knew we would need every ounce of that spirit in the coming season.

I also reflected on Roy's emphasis on set pieces. It was an area we could definitely improve on. Perhaps Presley Willie could help develop some innovative routines with the players during their training sessions. Every marginal gain could make a difference in our fight against relegation.

And then there was the stadium. The idea seemed almost surreal, but the thought of Kings United having a home of its own was incredibly motivating. It was a long-term dream, but one that could galvanize the entire community and give us something tangible to aim for.

The path ahead was daunting, but I felt ready to tackle it head-on. With the support of my family, friends, and the incredible community around Kings United, I believed we could continue to defy the odds. The next chapter of our journey was about to begin, and I was determined to make it a successful one.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

December 15, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Once everything had calmed down and returned to normal, the emotional furore of the cup run had dampened down and everybody had returned to some form of normality, George, Jackson, Presley and I met one evening in one of the many beachside bars over a beer to reflect back over the season and reflect on how the squad had performed.

Presley had run all of the statistics and presented us with a print out giving a run down of how every player had performed.

spacer.png

Bill Kere's consistent performance at the back was crucial for us. Despite being a new arrival at the start of the season and only being 16 years of age his high passing accuracy and solid average rating indicate his reliability. His calmness under pressure and ability to read the game made him an essential part of our defense.

The chairman's nephew Charles Damelip was a standout attacking force once he arrived in the mid season transfer window. With 12 goals and 6 assists, he was involved in a significant portion of our goals and a more than adequate replacement for Philip Bihu. His dribbling ability and composure in front of goal were exceptional, making him a key player in our offensive lineup.

Despite some disciplinary issues, Charles Kalmet was a rock in midfield. His high passing accuracy and defensive contributions were invaluable, although unless his shooting accuracy improves we need to be telling him to be passing the ball rather than going for goal! His captaincy of the club has also been a significant help in keeping morale high and instilling a stong team ethic.

Christopher Hinge's versatility and work rate in defence were crucial. His ability to break up play and transition us from defense to attack made him a pivotal player.

Eddie Kalmet's contribution cannot be overstated. Leading both in goals and assists, he was the heartbeat of our team. His ability to deliver under pressure and create opportunities out of nothing was inspirational.

Jayson Tommy was our engine on the right flank. His high tackle rate and passing accuracy, combined with his contributions in attack, made him one of our most valuable players.

Presley Thomas's knack for scoring and assisting was vital. His dribbling and creativity provided us with the edge in many tight matches.

We reflected back on the end of season table with pride - yes we'd dropped points and the defeat to Redal preventing us from going unbeaten remained a sore point for us, somewhat mitigated by the fact that they had finished in 3rd place - but there was tremendous pride in what we had achieved. In the end my worries about Westtan Bronco's had been unfounded and they, perhaps demoralised by seeing that we had secured the title, ended up dropping points in their last 2 games and finished 5 points behind us.

spacer.png 

Finally we looked back on our run to the PVFA Shield final. It was so rewarding to be able to sit with these guys, sipping on a beer and watching the sunset over the see whilst reminiscing on such an amazing run to the final. 

spacer.png

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

December 25th, 2022 - Season 1 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Christmas Day in Vanuatu is a celebration like no other, filled with sun, sand, and the gentle hum of the ocean. Today, I joined my parents for a picnic on the beach. We laid out a spread of fresh fruit, seafood, and traditional Vanuatuan dishes. The warmth of the sun and the laughter of my family provided a perfect backdrop to our festive day.

As I sat there, enjoying a moment of peace, my phone rang. The caller ID showed it was Roy. I answered, slightly bemused at why the chairman would be calling on Christmas Day.

"Jonah! Merry Christmas!" Roy's voice was noticeably tipsy, filled with a jolly cheer that was infectious.

"Merry Christmas, Roy," I replied, chuckling. "What's up?"

"I've got a wonderful Christmas present for you, Jonah. Remember our conversation back in November?" he asked, barely containing his excitement.

"Yes, I remember," I said, now fully intrigued.

"Well, it's happening! I've secured planning permission to build a 4,275 capacity stadium – the Kings United Stadium!"

spacer.png

I was stunned, the words taking a moment to sink in. "You're serious? How did you manage that?"

Roy continued, "The pitch will be ready for the new season with a small viewing stand, with the rest of the construction ongoing until January 2024. The planning permission even covers future expansion up to 8,582."

I could hardly believe what I was hearing. "That would make it larger than the national stadium," I said, incredulously.

"Exactly!" Roy confirmed. "We’ve secured a £275k grant from the Vanuatuan football authorities and the Port Vila city council, along with a £63k stadium sponsorship deal. The remaining £325k will be covered by a loan with a £3.3k monthly repayment over the next 10 years."

spacer.png

spacer.png

My mind raced. "Roy, our entire income last season was only £27k. Are you sure this is feasible?"

Roy, undeterred, replied with unwavering confidence, "Jonah, with the success you're going to bring, the money will sort itself out."

I sat back on the sand, the enormity of the news sinking in. "This is incredible, Roy. Thank you."

"Thank you, Jonah. Enjoy your Christmas, and let's look forward to an even brighter future!" With that, he hung up, leaving me to process the magnitude of the news.

I shared the news with my parents, their faces lighting up with pride and excitement. We toasted to the future, but my mind was swirling with worries.

As the sun began to set, painting the sky in hues of orange and pink, I reflected on the past year. The journey had been filled with highs and lows, but this news about the new stadium was beyond anything I could have imagined.

However, the challenges ahead were daunting. The financial commitment was substantial, and the pressure to succeed was now greater than ever. Could we really fill a 4,275 capacity stadium? Would our small, semi-pro club be able to handle the financial strain of such a massive loan?

The weight of these questions bore down on me. Roy's confidence in our success was reassuring, but it also added to the pressure. The club's future was tied to my ability to deliver results on the pitch, and the stakes had never been higher.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

13th February 2023  - Season 2 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

The close season, a period usually meant for rest and rejuvenation, has been anything but calm. Instead of enjoying a break from the hectic world of football, I've been caught in a whirlwind of changes and challenges that have left me feeling more drained than refreshed.

First, the departures. A number of our staff members decided to move on at the end of their contracts. Their reasons were vague, citing better opportunities elsewhere, but it felt like a blow to our already fragile setup. While George, our director of football, remained loyal, our head of youth development, Jackson Bule, decided to leave. Joining him were our assistant manager, Presley Willie, our head physio, our coach, and our goalkeeping coach. The exodus has left significant gaps in our backroom staff, and the timing couldn't be worse.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Adding to the chaos, there's been a boardroom battle brewing. Whilst it's not been said outright I understand that the rest of the club board were furious with Roy's decision on the new stadium and for not consulting them properly. Initially, I heard that Roy was looking to step back into a more part-time role. Then came rumors that he was considering stepping aside altogether. This was followed by whispers that Presley Adams, another director I wasn't particularly close to, might take over. All of this was happening against a backdrop of significant financial uncertainty, with the start of repayments on the stadium loan looming large.

The uncertainty at the top has been unsettling. Roy has been a stabilizing presence, and the thought of him stepping back or stepping aside has only added to the anxiety. The financial situation is precarious, and the start of the stadium loan repayments is a constant worry. I’ve spent many sleepless nights wondering how we’re going to manage it all.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then, the final blow came from George Iaruel. He called to inform me that Charles Kalmet, after another flurry of offers as the transfer window opened, had finally decided to leave. He’s joining Blue Star in the Sanma League of the Premier Division. Charles was not just a key player on the field but as team captain also a crucial part of the team’s spirit. Losing him feels like a personal loss, and I can’t help but worry about the impact on the rest of the squad.

spacer.png

The cumulative effect of all these changes has been overwhelming. The staff departures, the boardroom instability, the financial worries, and now the loss of Charles Kalmet have created a sense of chaos that’s hard to navigate.

As I reflect on all this, I realize that the coming season will be our toughest yet. We'll need to rebuild our backroom staff, find stability in the boardroom, and manage our finances carefully. The players will need to step up in Charles' absence, and I'll need to be stronger than ever to lead them through this turbulent time. It's not the break I was hoping for, but it’s the reality we face. 

Edited by chile_paul

20th March 2023 - Season 2 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Today was a crucial day as I gathered the new backroom staff for a pre-season briefing. It's been a challenging close season, and I felt the weight of our upcoming campaign heavily on my shoulders. George has been working tirelessly to bring in fresh faces, and I’m grateful for his efforts. We now have Samuel Daniel, our new head of youth development. Samuel is another temperamental PE teacher who previously supported the Mighty Green club. Then there's Alfred Thomas, who will serve as my new assistant manager, and Ismael Kere, our new chief scout responsible for working with George to identify new talent.

spacer.png

With 13 backroom staff members now, the room was filled with a mix of anticipation and nervous energy. George and I began the briefing by welcoming everyone and introducing them to Kings United. We talked about the club's mission, its history, and the significant progress we made last season. I explained how it's crucial that we all work together to meet the expectations placed upon us.

We then discussed the new arrivals to the playing squad. George Obed, who joined from AS Jise and scored over 10 goals last season, and Peter John, who came from Cultures Utd and was also a prolific scorer last season. We’ve also brought in Peter Soromon, a left-back from ABM Galaxy, expected to solidify our defense. Philip Daniel, a central defender from Melakel, brings strength to our backline, and Eddie Taiwia, a central midfielder joining on loan from Pango GB, fills a critical gap in our midfield.

spacer.png

Of course, we’ve had significant departures too. Charles Kalmet’s exit leaves a huge void in our midfield, and Jayson Tommy, our reliable young right-back, is another gap that needs filling.

I asked Alfred to provide an overview of the first-choice starting eleven. He highlighted that we have strong options upfront, with Charles Damelip as the first choice on the right wing and George Obed as our strongest striker. However, we lack a viable replacement for Charles Kalmet in the midfield, potentially forcing us to use a graduate from the youth team in the ball-winning midfielder role. Additionally, we have no viable option at right back, which might compel us to use one of our central defenders in that position.

spacer.png

Reflecting on our pre-season games, I was generally happy with the fixtures and delighted with some of the goals, especially those created from set-pieces. However, two results stood out as concerning: Siwi managed to score four goals against us, and Amicale also put four goals past us. These results make me nervous about our defensive robustness. We need to tighten our defense if we are to compete effectively this season.

spacer.png

As we wrapped up the briefing, I stressed the importance of unity and hard work. The new season will undoubtedly be challenging, but with our collective effort and determination, I believe we can overcome the obstacles ahead. I thanked everyone for their dedication and commitment and reminded them that we have a week left to fine-tune our preparations.

Posted (edited)

27th June 2023 - Season 2 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

The situation with Roy Damelip remains puzzling. He’s still at the stadium every day, overseeing the ongoing construction, despite his earlier talk of stepping back into a part-time role. It’s almost as if he’s more involved than ever, but there’s a lack of clarity around his intentions.

Adding to the confusion, Presley Adams, the board member rumored to be plotting a takeover, has vanished. Nobody has seen or heard from him since the rumors surfaced. It’s like he disappeared into thin air, and the whole episode has left a strange atmosphere around the club.

On the pitch, we’ve had a mixed bag of results. We sit in 7th place out of 16 teams at the mid-way point of the season, with 23 points. It’s a far better position than the board or the bookies expected. They assumed we’d be fighting relegation, but we’re actually 13 points clear of the drop zone. Despite this, I can’t shake off a sense of frustration.

spacer.png

The two 1-0 home defeats at the start of the season against Narak Tegapu and Black Diamond FC still sting. In both matches, our opponents had a player sent off around the 50th minute, yet we couldn’t capitalize and find the net. If we had managed to win those games, our situation would look very different now. Our form picked up after that with three wins in a row, thanks to the brilliance of Charles Damelip.

spacer.png

However, since the end of April, our inconsistency has been infuriating. We’ve struggled to string together a good run of form, dropping eight points in both May and June. The unpredictable nature of our performances is something we need to address urgently.

On the positive side, Philip Daniel at center-back and Roy’s nephew, Charles Damelip, on the right wing, have been standout performers. But with the transfer window about to open, there’s no guarantee they’ll be with us for the second half of the season. This uncertainty is unsettling.

spacer.png

I’m particularly concerned about our left-back position. Whoever plays there seems to be underperforming, and opponents are having a lot of success attacking down that flank. I’m seriously considering tweaking our formation to stabilize that area of the pitch.

Off the pitch, the club’s finances remain dire. The stadium loan is a massive burden, and we’re already £5k in debt with a net loss of £11k so far this season. The financial insecurity is so severe that Roy wouldn’t even authorize my request to do a coaching course to gain my National Level C badge. It’s a blow to my development as a manager and a stark reminder of the precarious situation we’re in.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Training and playing amongst the construction work has been a unique experience, to say the least. Compared to last season, where we played on a shared pitch with fans standing around the edge, the atmosphere now is a mix of excitement and distraction. The new stadium is slowly taking shape around us, and it feels like we’re part of something much bigger than just our matches.

As we train, we can see the skeleton of the new stands rising, the sound of hammers, drills, and the occasional shout from a construction worker forming a constant backdrop to our sessions. The smell of fresh concrete and sawdust hangs in the air, mingling with the familiar scent of grass and sweat. It's a sensory overload at times, and I worry that it might be affecting the players' concentration.

The fans, bless them, are incredibly patient. They watch our games from makeshift viewing areas, often perched on temporary stands or simply standing around the pitch. Their support is unwavering, even when the noise from the construction threatens to drown out their cheers. There’s a sense of camaraderie and shared anticipation among them; they’re as invested in the future of this club as we are.

Edited by chile_paul

2nd September 2023 - Season 2 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

As the transfer window slams shut, I find myself reflecting on a whirlwind period of changes. Six first-team players have left, but George Iaruel has worked his magic to bring in six replacements. Overall, I’m happy with the work he’s done, even if I do have some concerns.

spacer.png

The first new arrival was Johnny Avock, a goalkeeper from Melakel. The coaches believe he’s a substantial improvement over our young Steven Leo. Watching him in training, I can see why—they reckon he’s at least 10 centimeters taller than Steven, which is no small advantage for a keeper. Given this, I wasn’t too dismayed when Piaurupu made an offer for Steven and he opted to leave. It feels like a good move for all parties involved.

However, our defense has taken a hit. Steven Coulon, our first-choice left-back from last season, has decided to depart after being relegated to a backup role. More concerning is the loss of our two first-choice center-backs, Philip Daniel and Charley Batick. They’ve been replaced by Christopher Fred and Don Obed. While I’m confident in Fred’s abilities, I have my doubts about Obed. On the bright side, Batick’s departure opens the door for young Bill Kere, who showed promise last season and even scored in the cup final, to get more playing time. In addition Head of Youth Development, Samuel Daniel has alerted me to some decent central defender prospects that he's spotted in his after school coaching sessions - although they are no use to me now!

spacer.png

The real stroke of genius from George has been the acquisition of three first-team midfielders: Charley Kalotang, George Baru, and Jayson Bule. All three were convinced to join us from league rivals, and they will be the engine of our team moving forward. Their arrival allowed us to part ways with Joseph Bule and John Daniel. Only time will tell if these changes will pay off, but I feel stronger heading into the second half of the season.

The biggest piece of news is that our top player, Charles Damelip, opted to stay despite an offer from Premier League side Penama Utd. Keeping him was crucial, and it feels like a significant win for us.

spacer.png

In the league, our form has improved dramatically with four wins in the last six games. We’re now six points behind the automatic promotion places with a game in hand, right in the mix with the chasing pack. If we can maintain this form, we might just scrape into contention as we head into the final games. We are second in the league form table, but second-placed Narak Tegapu are third in the form table and showing little sign of slipping up. It’s going to be a tough fight, but I’m proud to be putting up such a strong challenge in our first season in the league.

spacer.png

spacer.png

27th September 2023 - Season 2 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

With comfortable back to back wins against Amicale and Blue River in the bag we still have an outside chance of making the automatic promotion spots. If we can win our two games in hand, we’d only be three points behind the second-placed side. It’s tantalizingly close, but it also means the pressure is immense.

spacer.png

Our next game is against the league leaders, Mauwia, and it feels like everything hinges on this match. The players can sense the gravity of the situation too, so I’m doing my best to downplay the importance of this game to ease the pressure on them. I keep reminding them that it's just another game, and we need to stick to our plan, play our football, and enjoy the match.

I’ve been spending a lot of time going over tactics and scenarios, thinking about how we can exploit Mauwia’s weaknesses while reinforcing our strengths. The boys have shown tremendous heart and skill throughout the season, but we’ve also had our moments of inconsistency. I know that we need to be at our very best to take on Mauwia and secure the crucial points we need. I find myself lying awake at night, replaying different strategies in my mind, imagining how we can outmaneuver the league leaders.

To the players, though, I’m maintaining a calm and composed exterior. I’ve been emphasizing that this game is just another step in our journey, no more important than any other we’ve faced this season. I tell them that the real focus should be on our performance, on sticking to our game plan, and on enjoying the challenge. The less they worry about the implications, the more likely they are to play freely and confidently.

Posted (edited)

2nd November 2023 - Season 2 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Tonight, as I sit down to write this entry, I can’t help but feel disappointed. The final match of the season just ended, and we won’t be promoted this year. We finished in 6th place, a commendable position, but still short of our dream.

spacer.png

Prior to the critical league game, the PVFA cup scheduling kicked in, shifting our league fixtures back by a few days. We had a tough draw - up against Premier League side Waterfall - and we might have had a chance if Charles Damelip hadn't been shown a straight red card for a scything scissor takle in the 23rd minute. After that we had our backs against the wall and were lucky to escape with only a 1-0 defeat. Our brilliant run to the final last season is now a distant memory!

The game against Mauwia was heartbreaking. Eddie Tauwia’s brilliant free kick in the 13th minute had us all believing. We defended with everything we had, but to concede an equalizer from a corner in the final seconds was a punch to the gut. That result knocked the wind out of our sails, and it showed in our next game against Seveners Utd, where we suffered our worst defeat under my tenure, a 4-0 thrashing. I take full responsibility for not being able to lift the team after the Mauwia disappointment.

With automatic promotion out of reach, I decided to give some of our youth players a chance in the remaining fixtures. That decision paid off with spirited performances against title contenders Westtan Broncos and Spirit ‘08, but we ended the season on a sour note with a 1-0 defeat to Mauriki FC. Our home form has been abysmal, with only 18 points from a possible 45, compared to 11 wins out of 15 away from home. I can’t quite put my finger on why we struggle so much on home turf.

spacer.png

After the match, I had a long talk with George, our director of football. He’s always been a steadying influence, and tonight was no different. “Jonah,” he said, “look at what we’ve achieved this season. From relegation candidates to a top-six finish—it’s incredible progress.” He reminded me that we’ve built a strong foundation and that we can continue to grow from here. His belief in our potential is unwavering, and it’s a comfort to know he’s in our corner.

Later, Roy called me into his office. His presence at the stadium, despite the supposed move to a part-time role, has been a constant. “Jonah, you’ve done an unbelievable job,” he started, his voice calm but firm. “This season didn’t end the way we wanted, but you’ve proven we can compete at this level. We’ll sort out the home form; it’s a puzzle we’ll solve together.” Roy’s confidence in me is reassuring, even though the financial strain of the stadium loan and our overall debt loom large. He’s a visionary, sometimes too much for my comfort, but his drive is infectious.

Finally, I talked to my parents. They’ve always been my rock. My dad’s voice was full of pride. “Jonah, you’ve come so far,” he said. “It’s not always about the destination, but the journey. Look at the progress you’ve made with the team.” My mum echoed his sentiments, adding, “You’ve inspired so many young players and brought the community together. That’s a victory in itself.” Their words helped me see the bigger picture, beyond just results and league positions.

As I reflect on this season, I know there’s much to be proud of. We’ve laid down a marker and shown that Kings United can be a force to be reckoned with. But there’s also a lot to ponder. Our home form is baffling, and it’s something I’ll need to analyze deeply in the off-season. The upcoming transfer window will be crucial, and we need to ensure we strengthen the squad effectively.

For now, I’ll take a moment to breathe, to appreciate the highs and learn from the lows. This journey is far from over, and I’m determined to come back stronger next season. The dream of promotion is still alive, and with the right adjustments, I believe we can achieve it.

Edited by chile_paul

30th November 2023 - Season 2 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Today has been challenging. The news broke early this morning that the local council has blocked planning permission for our new stadium. The announcement has thrown everyone at the club into disarray, and I found myself embroiled in a heated argument with Roy over the situation.

spacer.png

Roy called me into his office as soon as the news broke. The atmosphere was tense, and I could see the strain on his face. “Jonah, we need to talk about the stadium,” he began. I could feel my frustration bubbling up as I struggled to understand how things had gone so wrong.

“What does this mean, Roy?” I asked, my voice tinged with anger and confusion. “Does it mean we’ll have to tear it all down? We’re already in a financial mess, and now this?”

Roy’s expression hardened. “The council’s decision is a setback, but it doesn’t mean the stadium has to be demolished,” he said, trying to keep his voice steady. “We’ve already completed a significant amount of construction, and we’re going to fight this decision.”

“But how?” I demanded. “We’re already drowning in debt. The loan payments are eating us alive, and now we’re stuck with a half-finished stadium that might not even be usable. What does this mean for the club’s future?”

Roy’s frustration mirrored my own. “I'll sort this Jonah. We’ve come too far to back down now. The stadium is essential for our future growth. I know the financial situation is dire, but we have to stay the course.”

I couldn’t hold back my anger any longer. “Staying the course? Roy, we’re losing money every month. The club’s finances are in a perilous state. How are we supposed to manage this?”

spacer.png

The argument escalated, voices raised and tempers flaring. Roy remained adamant that we would find a way through this, but I couldn’t shake the feeling of impending doom. The debt from the stadium loan is already crippling us, and now this additional uncertainty feels like a death knell.

I'm not sure what this will mean for me, or for the club, but it feels like we have taken a massive step backwards today.

15th December 2023 - Season 2 - Vanuatu - Kings Utd

Roy called me into his office today with an offer to extend my contract for another year. He laid out his expectations plainly: avoid relegation and keep the club afloat amidst our financial turmoil. I didn’t give him an answer right away. Instead, I asked for some time to think it over. 

spacer.png

On one hand, staying on as manager of Kings United is an opportunity to continue building on the progress we’ve made. Despite the setbacks and frustrations, there’s a part of me that feels deeply committed to this club. I’ve developed strong bonds with the players, and the thought of leaving them in the middle of this storm feels wrong. They look up to me, and I’ve always prided myself on being there for my team, especially during tough times.

But on the other hand, the financial strain and the uncertainty surrounding the stadium project weigh heavily on my mind. The club’s debt is a ticking time bomb, and I worry about our ability to stay competitive if we can’t resolve these issues. Accepting another year could mean subjecting myself to more stress and frustration, especially if the financial situation doesn’t improve.

I took some time to reflect on my own. I went for a long walk along the beach, the same place where I’d celebrated Christmas with my parents last year. The sound of the waves crashing and the salty breeze helped clear my mind. I thought about the highs and lows of the season, the moments of triumph and the crushing defeats. I considered the potential for growth and the looming challenges.

As I sit here now, the decision still isn’t clear. Part of me is drawn to the challenge of staying and fighting for Kings United. Another part is tempted by the idea of seeking a fresh start elsewhere. Whatever I decide, it will shape the next chapter of my career. For now, I’ll sleep on it and hope that clarity comes with the morning light.

22nd December - Season 2 - Vanuatu - ?????

Today was a whirlwind. After my last conversation with Roy, where he offered to extend my contract for another year, I started to seriously consider my options. The uncertainty surrounding the stadium and our financial situation made me wonder if it was time to look elsewhere. Through the grapevine, I heard that Ifira BB’s current manager, Joseph Kalo, would be leaving at the end of his contract following a disappointing season. On a whim, I decided to apply for the role, not sure if I would be laughed out of the room or given serious consideration. To my surprise, I got an interview.

spacer.png

Walking into the interview with Frank Taiwia, the chairman of Ifira BB, I felt a mix of excitement and nerves. Ifira BB is a Premier League side with a rich history, and the thought of taking the reins there is both daunting and exhilarating.

Frank didn’t waste any time getting to the heart of the matter. He started with a question that I had expected but still felt a pang of anxiety answering. “Jonah, your relative lack of managerial experience is a concern. You have only been a head coach for two years. Do you think that will hold you back in a club of this stature?”

I took a deep breath and replied, “Frank, I understand the concern. While I may not have years of experience, I believe my time at Kings United has been incredibly formative. In my first season, I led the team to promotion as champions of Port Vila Second Division, and then we overachieved in our first season in the First Division. Additionally, we had an impressive run to the PVFA Cup final, significantly exceeding everyone’s expectations. I’ve learned to adapt quickly, make tough decisions under pressure, and inspire my players to perform above their perceived potential. Experience isn’t just about time; it’s about the quality and intensity of the challenges faced and overcome.”

Frank nodded, but I could see he wasn’t entirely convinced. He pressed on. “Why are you considering a change now, especially when it seems like you have unfinished business at Kings United?”

That question hit home. I paused before answering, choosing my words carefully. “Kings United has been a significant part of my journey, and the decision to consider a new role hasn’t been easy. However, the ongoing financial instability and the stadium issues have created an environment where my ability to affect positive change is limited. I’m driven by the desire to grow and challenge myself further, and Ifira BB presents an opportunity to do that at a higher level. I believe that by bringing my experience of working under pressure and managing difficult situations, I can help Ifira BB achieve stability and success.”

Frank leaned back in his chair, his gaze steady. “We narrowly avoided relegation last season. Our expectations are to finish in the top half of the Premier League. Do you realistically think you can meet these expectations?”

I felt the weight of the question but responded with confidence. “Absolutely. At Kings United, I took a team that was expected to struggle and turned us into strong contenders. It wasn’t just about tactical adjustments; it was about building a culture of belief and resilience. I plan to bring that same approach to Ifira BB. I understand the league’s demands, and I’m committed to fostering a competitive, hard-working team that can achieve more than what’s expected of them. I also have a keen eye for talent, and with the right recruitment and development, we can strengthen the squad to compete at a higher level.”

The final questions were about managing the squad and the fans. Frank’s eyes were sharp as he asked, “How will you manage the squad dynamics and ensure the fans stay behind you, especially if things get tough?”

I smiled, feeling a bit more at ease. “Managing a squad is about communication and trust. I’ve learned that players perform best when they feel valued and understood. I plan to establish clear lines of communication, set realistic goals, and foster a team spirit where everyone feels they are contributing to our collective success. As for the fans, they are the lifeblood of any club. Keeping them engaged involves being transparent, showing them the progress we’re making, and always giving our best on the pitch. Even in tough times, if the fans see a team that’s fighting for every point and a manager who’s committed and passionate, they’ll stay with us.”

As I walked out of the interview, I felt a mix of emotions. I had given it my all, presenting myself as honestly and confidently as I could. Now, the waiting begins. Regardless of the outcome, I’m proud of how I’ve navigated this journey so far. Ifira BB could be the next chapter in my career, but if it’s not meant to be, I know there’s still much to achieve and learn at Kings United.

12th January - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

I received a call from Frank Taiwia today, and my heart was pounding as I picked up the phone. He offered me the head coach role at Ifira BB. It was a dream come true in many ways – a chance to manage a Premier League side, to prove myself at a higher level, and to work with a more established squad.

But then Frank dropped the bombshell. “We’re prepared to offer you £75 a week,” he said. My heart sank. That’s a substantial pay cut from what I’m earning at Kings United. I tried to negotiate, to explain my situation and the financial obligations I have, but Frank was firm. The best he could do was £90 a week. Still a significant cut.

I thanked him and asked for a day to think it over. Now, sitting here with a cup of tea, I’m trying to weigh my options. The money is important – I have bills to pay, and I’ve been saving up to help my parents with some renovations on their house. But the opportunity is also significant.

I called my parents first. They’ve always been my biggest supporters and give the best advice. “Follow your heart, Jonah,” my mum said. “The money will sort itself out. Ifira BB is a big opportunity.”

My dad, more practical, added, “Just make sure you can manage financially. It’s a big step up, but you don’t want to be stressed about money all the time.”

Next, I spoke to George. He’s been my right-hand man and knows the ins and outs of football management better than anyone. “Look, Jonah,” he said, “these opportunities don’t come around often. If you believe in yourself and what you can bring to Ifira BB, you should go for it. You’ve proven you can handle pressure and exceed expectations.”

Finally, I had a difficult conversation with Roy. He was surprisingly understanding.

"I don’t want to lose you, Jonah," he admitted, "but I know this is a great chance for you. Just make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons.”

“Roy, I feel like I’m leaving a job unfinished here,” I confessed, my voice heavy with regret. “We’ve come so far, and I believe we could achieve even more. But the debt from the stadium has tied my hands behind my back. I’m constantly worried about our financial situation, and it’s affecting everything – the players, the fans, even my ability to focus on the game. I don’t want to let anyone down, but I also need to think about my future and my ability to grow as a manager.”

Roy nodded, his expression serious. “I understand, Jonah. It’s been a tough situation for all of us. The stadium debt is a heavy burden, and I can see how it’s impacted your decision. You’ve done an incredible job here, and I have no doubt you’ll continue to do so wherever you go. Just know that you’ll always have a place here at Kings United.”

With all this advice swirling in my head, I sat down to make a list of pros and cons. The chance to manage a Premier League team and prove myself at a higher level weighed heavily in favor of taking the job. The financial cut was a significant downside, but as George pointed out, opportunities like this are rare.

I made my decision. I called Frank back. “I’ll take the job,” I said. “£90 a week it is.”

The excitement in Frank’s voice was palpable. “Welcome to Ifira BB, Jonah! I’m looking forward to seeing what you can do with the team.”

spacer.png

It’s a leap of faith, but I believe in my abilities and the potential of this new challenge. It’s time to turn the page and start a new chapter in my managerial career. The journey with Ifira BB begins now.

15th January 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Today was my first day at Ifira BB, and my head is still spinning with all of the new information. 

Frank Taiwia, the chairman, welcomed me warmly at the club. "Welcome to Ifira BB, Jonah," he said, shaking my hand firmly. "We're excited to have you on board."

The first thing that struck me was the history of the club. Founded in 1918, Ifira Black Bird FC, affectionately known as the Black Birds, is a semi-professional club playing in the Port Vila Premier League. The club’s home, the 6,500-seater Korman Stadium, has seen its fair share of history and triumphs. Most recently it lifted the VFF National Super League in 2021.

spacer.png

The league structure in Vanuatu is complicated...... At the Premier League level, the league is split into 8 divisions based on the different regions and islands around Vanuatu. We are based on the main island, not far from the capital Port Vila, and equally not far from home or Kings Utd! In the Port Vila division there are 9 times and we play each other twice with the top 3 then qualifying to the VFF National Super League which takes the top 10 teams from across the various island and regional divisions. They then play twice to compete for the National Super League title with the top 2 clubs qualifying for the OFC Champions League. Phew! My head was spinning already. It didn't skip my attention that if we didn't qualify for the National Super League, our season would be quite short and I'd have quite a lot of time to help Dad with his fishing.

Frank gave me a tour of the facilities. "These are our training grounds," he pointed out. "Not the best, they are below average I know, but we make do. We have adequate youth facilities and average academy coaching." The pride in his voice was evident despite the modest surroundings.

We sat down to discuss the club's expectations and financial situation. The club has a bank balance of £75k, a transfer budget of £6,750, and a wage budget of £1,830 per week, of which they are currently spending £627. It's a decent financial position compared to what I left behind at Kings United.

spacer.png

Frank was candid about the club's goals. "We aim to finish in the top half of the Port Vila Premier League and make it to the semi-final of the PVFA Cup. The media predicts we'll finish fifth, but I believe we can do better with the right leadership."

spacer.png

I met the staff, who seemed welcoming and professional. Michel Damelip, the Director of Football, and Benjamin Langa, the Technical Director, were both eager to get started. Joseph Bob, my new assistant manager, has a Continental C Licence and seems experienced and reliable - in fact all of the staff appear far more qualified than me!

The squad was next on the agenda. The team has some standout players: Christopher Tommy and Jonathan Spokeyjack in defense, Keiben Kalotang and John Well Wohale in midfield, and Jayson Tari up front. We also have some promising young talents like Zhou Kun, an advanced playmaker at just 17, and Charles Massing, a 17-year-old poacher.

spacer.png

I addressed the team for the first time, emphasizing the importance of unity and hard work. "We're here to build something special," I told them. "With dedication and the right mindset, we can exceed expectations."

As I reflected on my first day, I couldn't help but feel a mix of excitement and apprehension. This new opportunity with Ifira BB feels like a fresh start, a chance to prove myself at a higher level. The expectations are clear: top-half finish in the league and a strong cup run. It's going to be challenging, but I'm ready for it. The financial stability of the club gives me some breathing room to focus on the football, and I’m excited about the potential of the squad.

Posted (edited)

12th March 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

It’s been almost eight weeks since I made the move from Kings United to Ifira Black Bird now and after an intense couple of months of preparation we sit on the verge of the start of the new Premier League season. I must admit to feeling a little nervous as I wonder whether I've made the right move and whether our preparations have been sufficient.

Pre-season appears to have gone well; we've won every game fairly comfortably and the players appear to have taken to my tactics well.

spacer.png

Whilst we've been working to adapt the high pressing, attacking football that served me so well in my first season at Kings Utd, I'm concerned that we don't have many strong options out wide and a significant injury or a departure could leave us really exposed, so as a secondary option the team have also been practising with a narrower formation with two up front. We seem to be equally effective with each option, but we'll have to wait and see as the season kicks off whether they stand up to a test from a more formidable opponent.

spacer.png 

In general the players have responded really positively to everything that I've been asking them to do - they seem a very supportive and professional bunch. Having said that, I did need to have words with one of the young talents in the squad after he pulled a sickie and missed training one day. I can't have that sort of behaviour spreading amongst the squad.

spacer.png

Michael Damelip has been working hard looking at talents he can bring into the first team - much of the work to secure Kaltfer Kaltack had already been done before I joined the club, but I was delighted when Michael knocked on my door a few days into my tenure to let me know he had signed. Kaltfer joins from recently relegated Yatel where played either as a striker or an inside forward on the left and was there top player last season. Joseph Obed, an attacking midfielder, joined a few days later and again, appears to be a decent young talent. I'm less convinced by striker Sylvain Bule, he will have some work to do to fight his way into the main squad.

spacer.png

The response from the supporters has been fantastic. I often see supporters from both Kings Utd and Ifira BB out and about as I go about my daily business. At the market, in cafes, and even just walking down the street, I encounter familiar faces. Kings United fans sometimes stop me to express their feelings about my move, ranging from understanding and encouragement to disappointment. The reception from Ifira BB supporters has been nothing short of fantastic. From the moment I was announced as the new head coach, the fans welcomed me with open arms. The Black Birds fans have high expectations, but they’ve also shown immense support and patience as I’ve settled into my role. Seeing them in the community, they always have a kind word or a gesture of support, which has mad the transition even more rewarding.

Edited by chile_paul

8th May 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Eight games into the season, and I can hardly believe where we stand. Ifira BB are at the top of the league table, sitting on 19 points with 6 wins, 1 draw, and 1 loss. Our only setback came against ABM Galaxy, the league favorites, but even in that game, we showed our mettle.

Taking over the reins at Ifira BB, I knew there would be challenges, but the squad has risen to the occasion spectacularly. The players have embraced my tactics and philosophy, and it's paying off on the pitch.

We secured a solid 3-0 victory against Erakor GS, with Christopher Tommy, Bill Taiwia, and Jayson Tari all finding the net. That win gave us the confidence boost we needed, and we built on it with a string of victories.

The highlight was undoubtedly our 4-2 win against my old side Tafea, where Julian John and Kaltfer Kaltack were instrumental. Julian scored two early goals, while Kaltfer added another. Jayson Tari rounded off the scoring spree as we flew into a 4-0 lead after only 11 minutes. Tafea fought back though, pulling a goal back in the 14th minute and then a second in the 62nd minute and things might have looked very different had their third goal in the 80th minute not been ruled out for offside.

However, the match against ABM Galaxy was a different story. Despite our best efforts, we fell to a 2-1 defeat. It was a tough pill to swallow, but the players took it as a learning experience rather than a setback. I was particularly impressed with our resilience and how we bounced back in the next game, securing a gritty 3-1 win against Mauwia.

spacer.png

Our defense, led by yongster Christopher Tommy has been rock solid, albeit I've not been able to find a convincing partner for him in central defence and that remains a worry. In midfield, Julian John has been outstanding, controlling the tempo and breaking up play effectively as well as contributing to the goals from dead ball situations. Up front, Jayson Tari has been a revelation, consistently finding the back of the net and leading the line with determination.

The fans have been incredible, too. Their support at Korman Stadium has been unwavering, and the atmosphere they've created has undoubtedly spurred the team on. 

There are still challenges ahead, and we can't afford to get complacent, but we're looking well placed to qualify for the VFF National Super League. The second half of the season will be crucial, and maintaining our momentum will be key. The players are aware of the expectations, and we've set our sights on finishing in the top three positions in the league and extending our season to fight for the silverware.

spacer.png

9th May 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

This morning, Nicko Taiwia, our Head of Youth Development, and I had a scheduled meeting with Frank Taiwia, our club chairman. The objective was straightforward: present a case to expand our youth recruitment network and increase the spending on youth coaching. We believe that investing in our youth system is crucial for the long-term success of the club, ensuring a steady pipeline of talented players who can contribute to our future campaigns.

Nicko and I had prepared thoroughly for the meeting, armed with statistics, projections, and examples of clubs that had benefited immensely from a robust youth system. We wanted to show Frank that with the right investment, Ifira BB could elevate itself to a new level of competitiveness.

Nicko began by outlining the current state of our youth setup. He explained that while our youth facilities are adequate, our recruitment network is fairly basic, and our academy coaching is average at best. He argued passionately that with better recruitment, we could identify and nurture local talent more effectively. "The young players in Vanuatu have immense potential," he said. "But we need the right infrastructure and resources to bring out the best in them."

I then took over, presenting our vision for the future. I talked about the success we could achieve by investing in youth development. "Imagine a team with homegrown talent, players who have been with us since their teenage years, understanding our philosophy and style of play," I said. "This isn’t just about the present; it’s about building a legacy."

We proposed several strategies to enhance our youth recruitment. One key idea was to utilize social media platforms to promote the club’s activities, successes, and needs. By increasing our online presence, we could reach a broader audience and attract young talent. We also suggested organizing community events such as youth tournaments, football clinics, and family fun days. These events would engage the community, foster local talent, and build a strong connection between the club and the people.

Frank listened intently, nodding occasionally but remaining mostly impassive. When we finished, he took a moment before responding. "I appreciate your passion and the thoroughness of your presentation," he began. "However, I must consider the club’s current situation. We have a decent bank balance, but we need to be cautious with our expenditures. While I agree that youth development is important, I believe our current setup is sufficient for a club our size."

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nicko and I exchanged glances, both of us feeling a tinge of disappointment. We had hoped to convince Frank to see things our way, but his pragmatic approach was hard to argue against. Understanding the delicate balance of our early tenure at the club, we reluctantly accepted his decision. Pushing too hard at this stage could jeopardize the goodwill we’ve built with Frank and the rest of the board.

After Nicko left the room, Frank asked me to stay behind for a private word. I braced myself, unsure of what was coming next. To my surprise, he told me that the club was willing to fund my development by paying for me to complete my National C licence coaching badge. "I see potential in you, Jonah," he said. "Investing in your growth is an investment in the club’s future."

spacer.png

I was genuinely touched by his offer. It showed that despite the cautious financial approach, the club believed in my ability to lead and wanted to support my development. Frank, however, made it clear that he expected to see the results of this investment come through on the pitch. "I have high expectations, Jonah. I trust you will make the most of this opportunity and translate it into success for Ifira BB."

Returning to the training ground, I shared the news with Nicko. He was pleased about my coaching badge opportunity but shared my frustration about the youth setup. "We’ll keep pushing, Jonah," he said. "Maybe next season, with some solid results under our belt, we can revisit this."

Posted (edited)

3rd August 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The regular season has just concluded, and what a rollercoaster it has been. We ended up in second place, tied on points with Tafea, but falling short due to a single goal in the goal difference column. It’s hard to swallow, but Tafea have been on an incredible unbeaten run since we beat them 4-2 on the second day of the season and they convincingly beat us 3-0 in the reverse fixture so their position is well deserved.

spacer.png

Going into the final round of games, we knew we just needed a win against Narak Tegapu to confirm the top spot. But football is unpredictable, and we could only manage a 1-1 draw against the bottom team. It was a frustrating match, with chances missed and tension palpable. Kaltfer Kaltack scored our only goal in the 21st minute, but we couldn't capitalize further. The players were dejected as the final whistle blew, knowing we had let a golden opportunity slip through our fingers.

spacer.png

Despite the disappointment, there’s a silver lining. Finishing second means we’ve qualified for the VFF National Super League, where everyone starts fresh on zero points. This is a chance to reset and prove ourselves against the best teams from across Vanuatu. Historically, teams from Port Vila have dominated this competition, and I’m confident we can continue that trend. Our first match is against Malampa, and preparations are already underway.

In the PVFA Cup, we’ve had quite the journey so far. The first round gave us a scare when Police took us to penalties. It was a nerve-wracking shootout, but we eventually triumphed 8-7, with goalkeeper Dgen Leo scoring the decisive penalty. That moment will be etched in my memory for a long time. We then cruised past Mauriki with a record 7-1 victory, followed by a tighter win against Mauwia. We’re still in the running, and the players are hungry for silverware.

spacer.png

Reflecting on the season so far, I can’t help but think about the highs and lows we’ve experienced. The team has shown tremendous resilience and character, bouncing back from setbacks and putting in some fantastic performances. Our attacking play has been a joy to watch, with Jayson Tari leading the line brilliantly and players like Kaltfer Kaltack and Jonathan Spokeyjack providing crucial goals and assists.

Our top performers have been outstanding. Jayson Tari, with 10 goals and 4 assists in 17 appearances, has been a revelation, leading the team with an average rating of 7.69. Christopher Tommy, our defensive rock, has been my first choice in the back line and effective at that, with an average of 5 interceptions per 90 minutes along with contributing 2 goals and 1 assist while maintaining an 88% passing accuracy. Kaltfer Kaltack and Jonathan Spokeyjack have been consistent threats, each contributing significantly to our attacking prowess.

spacer.png

As we head into the VFF National Super League and the latter stages of the PVFA Cup, the pressure is on. But this team thrives under pressure. We’ve shown we can compete with the best, and now it’s time to prove it on the national stage. I have faith in the players, the staff, and the plan we’ve put in place.

Edited by chile_paul

20th September 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Sad news today as my old club Kings Utd suffer an ignonimous relegation back down into Division 2. It's been a horrendous season for the team, going the first 18 matches without a win and only 3 draws. Any attempt at fighting relegation were hit a heavy blow as goalkeeper Jonny Avock suffered a horrendous spinal injury that ruled him out for the season, if not longer, leaving a youth team player in between the sticks.

Fingers crossed they will stick by my replacement and give him chance to rebuild and fight for promotion again next season.

spacer.png

20th September 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

We're making good progress in the VFF National Super League, and the atmosphere around the club is electric. The players are performing well, and the fans are fully behind us. 

This afternoon, I had an unexpected but crucial meeting with Frank Taiwia, our club chairman. Frank's approach was warm and appreciative, expressing his delight at how the team has been performing under my guidance. His enthusiasm was infectious, and I couldn't help but feel proud of what we've achieved so far.

spacer.png

Frank brought up the subject of extending my contract, a topic I hadn't anticipated discussing so soon. He spoke highly of my impact on the team and how he sees me as a long-term part of Ifira BB's future. It was a flattering moment, knowing that my work was being recognized and valued.

However, as much as I appreciated the gesture, my mind was on a different track. The meeting with Frank presented an opportunity to revisit the suggestions that Nicko and I had previously made about improving the youth facilities.

I suggested that the money Frank wanted to spend on extending my contract could be better used to enhance the youth setup. I emphasized how these investments would improve the quality of young players coming through our system, benefiting the club in the long run.

Frank was visibly taken aback by my suggestion. He paused, clearly not expecting me to prioritize the club's infrastructure over my personal gain. He challenged me on this, questioning why I wouldn't want the security and recognition of a contract extension. He reiterated his belief that the current coaching setup and recruitment network were sufficient for a club our size.

I could see where Frank was coming from, but I felt compelled to push the point. I explained that while a contract extension would be great for me personally, improving our youth facilities would have a far more significant impact on the club's future success. Investing in the development of young players would ensure a steady pipeline of talent, ultimately making the senior team stronger and more competitive.

Frank disagreed with me, maintaining that his priority was to secure my services for the long term. He believed that extending my contract was the best way to maintain the team's current momentum and success. It was a respectful disagreement, and whilst we were both probably disappointed by the outcome of the conversation, I could see he was coming from a place of wanting to protect the club's interests.

spacer.png

In the end, we left the conversation without a resolution, but with mutual respect. Frank's commitment to extending my contract is clear, and while I still believe in the importance of developing our youth facilities, I understand his perspective.

3rd October 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

We're halfway through the Super League play-offs, and it's time for a mid-season reflection. The first half has been largely positive for us, with 6 wins out of 8 games. Despite this solid performance, we find ourselves in 3rd place, trailing behind our local rivals Tafea and ABM Galaxy. Fortunately, we have a game in hand, which offers us a glimmer of hope to close the gap.

spacer.png

There have been a couple of key moments that have shaped our current standing, moments of missed opportunity that still sting. Our away game against struggling Iwoka was one of those. We dominated possession and created numerous chances, but we just couldn't break them down. The match ended in a frustrating 0-0 draw, a game we felt we should have won comfortably.

The other significant setback was our home fixture against ABM Galaxy. This match had the intensity and atmosphere of a pivotal clash, and it certainly didn't disappoint in terms of drama. However, the result was a bitter pill to swallow. We conceded early, with their top goalscorer, Solomon Islander Moffat Kiriau, finding the net in the 12th minute. From that point, we were on the back foot, struggling to break through their defense. Their goalkeeper, Benjamin Chilia, was outstanding, making crucial saves that kept us at bay and ultimately secured their 1-0 victory.

spacer.png

These missed opportunities have been a reality check for us. The team has shown great spirit and skill, but we need to be more clinical and composed in critical moments. Our defense has been generally solid, with standout performances from Christopher Tommy and new arrival in the transfer window Tom Saksak. Up front, Jayson Tari has been our main source of goals, but his form has dropped off slightly and that has cost us in the two games where we dropped points.

The season is still very much alive, and we're in a strong position to challenge for the top spot. Our next few fixtures, especially an away game against Tafea, will be crucial, and we'll need to bring our A-game to each one. The players are focused and motivated, and the coaching staff, including myself, are working hard to address the areas where we've fallen short.

On a personal note, Frank Taiwia did return with a new contract offer. Initially, he offered £110 a week, but I managed to negotiate it up to match my previous wage from Kings Utd of £120 a week. This was a relief, as it shows the club's belief in my capabilities and provides some financial stability.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The transfer window also  concluded with some significant changes. I was sad to see youngster Roy Phillip leave. Despite his faux pas earlier in the season when he pulled a sickie and missed training, he had actually played well when given an opportunity. His departure is a loss for us.

Our director of football, Michael Damelip, has been extremely busy strengthening both the first team and the under-20s. Notable arrivals include Xavier Jimmy, who will be a regular starter in midfield, and Tom Saksak, a key capture from rivals Tafea, who will partner Christopher Tommy in central defense. Roni Tavite will also add depth to the right wing.

spacer.png

I remember some of the youngsters from my time at Kings Utd. Bong George and Alfred Vira were both key players for Westtan Bronco's last season. It will be good to see if they can make the step up and how they react to finding themselves predominantly in the U-20's rather than playing first team football. Interestingly, Michael seems to have gone a bit mad, bringing in about a half-dozen specialist left wing-backs into the under-20 team. I'm not sure what we're going to do with them all, but it's certainly going to make for some interesting squad management.

1st November 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

It's crunch time and with three games left in the season, we're sitting in second place, just one point behind leaders Tafea, but with a crucial game in hand. ABM Galaxy are right behind us in third, three points adrift but with the same number of games played. The title race is heating up, and everything is still to play for.

spacer.png

The pivotal match against Tafea was a rollercoaster. We dominated early on, creating several chances but failing to convert. Tafea then took the lead against the run of play with a penalty in the 69th minute. It was a gut punch, and for a moment, it seemed like our title hopes were slipping away as it would have allowed Tafea to build up an 8 point cushion. But we responded immediately with a penalty of our own in the 71st minute. The game ended 1-1, and while we were disappointed not to win, the draw kept us in the race.

The next game away to Malampa was a nail-biter. In a game which swung both ways it took until the 94th minute for us to secure the 3 points with virtually the last kick of the game. The frustration was palpable on the sidelines, and the relief at the final whistle was immense. These are the kind of games that test our mettle and, thankfully, we came through.

The match against Rue Rue was a turning point, not just in terms of points but in the mentality of the team. We went 2-0 down at halftime, and I lost my temper in the dressing room. I couldn't believe the lack of intensity and focus. I slammed my fist on the table, and in a rare outburst, I let the team have it. I told them that their performance was unacceptable, that they were playing like amateurs, and that if they didn't turn it around, we could kiss the title goodbye. The effect was immediate. The second half saw a transformed team. We fought back to win 3-2, showing incredible character and resilience. 

Following that, the results looked more comfortable on paper, but they were anything but. Against Waterfall, we won 2-0, but we had to rely on a strong second-half performance to score both goals. The home game against Iwoka was even tighter, with the first breakthrough not coming until the 87th minute. We eventually won 2-0, but it was another reminder of how tough this league can be.

spacer.png

With 6 wins on the bounce, the momentum is with us, but we can't afford to let our guard down. Our final three games are against tough opposition, including Tafea and ABM Galaxy. These matches will likely decide the title, and we need to be at our absolute best.

As we head into these final crucial games, the focus is on maintaining our form, staying mentally tough, and seizing the opportunities as they come. If we keep playing with the heart and determination we've shown recently, we have every chance of ending the season as champions.

17th November 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

What a whirlwind the past few weeks have been! We've just wrapped up the final three fixtures of the season, and I couldn't be prouder of this team and what we've achieved.

First up was the crucial match against Tafea. The atmosphere was electric, and the stakes couldn't have been higher. From the first whistle, we were on the front foot. Jonathan Spokeyjack calmed our nerves with an early penalty, setting the tone for the game. But the real star was Xavier Jimmy. His performance was nothing short of spectacular. He was everywhere on the pitch, dictating play, breaking up attacks, and scoring two fantastic goals. We ended up winning 4-1, a result that not only gave us a massive confidence boost but also left us needing just a point from our next game to secure the title.

The game against ABM Galaxy was tense and fraught with emotion. We knew a point would be enough, but Galaxy were not going to make it easy for us. The match was a battle from start to finish. They took the lead but we fought back and equalised almost immediately through another Spokeyjack penalty. The real drama would have come towards the end of the match as we fought to hold on, but when Galaxy were reduced to nine men after picking up two injuries and having already used all their substitutions it felt like fate was on our side. The final whistle blew, and the realization hit – we had done it. Ifira BB were champions again for the first time since 2021!

spacer.png

The celebrations were incredible. The fans flooded the pitch, singing and dancing. There were tears of joy, hugs all around, and a sense of relief and accomplishment. The players were lifted high by the supporters, and the chants of "Champions!" echoed throughout the stadium. Frank Taiwia, Nicko, and I shared a moment of reflection and joy – all the hard work, the challenges, the moments of doubt, it had all led to this glorious moment. The team was rewarded with a parade through the streets of Port Vila, where we were greeted by cheering fans, waving flags, and congratulatory banners. It was a celebration that will be remembered for years to come.

spacer.png

With the title secured, the final game of the season was a chance to give some of our younger players an opportunity to shine. While the result didn't go our way – we fell to a 1-0 defeat – it was valuable experience for the youngsters. They showed glimpses of their potential, and I’m confident they’ll grow from this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

30th November 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

After the league season wrapped up, our attention turned to the PVFA Cup, which has been on a break since August whilst the league season concluded.

Our cup campaign resumed with a bang. We faced Pango GB and Patvuti in the 5th round and quarter-finals respectively. The 5-0 and 6-2 scores might suggest comfortable wins, but the reality was much tighter. Against both teams the stats would suggest the teams were pretty equal, but our finishing was exceptional and Dgen Leo helped to keep things tight from our end.

The semi-final was a tough battle against North Efate Utd. We managed a 3-1 win, but it was deceptive. We only had four shots on target, and Dgen Leo was again a hero between the posts, fending off wave after wave of attacks. It was a tense game, but we showed our resilience and determination to make it to the final.

spacer.png

The build-up to the PVFA Cup final was electric. The whole city was buzzing with anticipation. As we arrived at the stadium, the air was thick with the smell of food from the street vendors, the sound of drums and chants from our fans, and the sight of green and yellow flags waving proudly. The atmosphere was intoxicating, a blend of excitement and nerves. This was my second appearance in the cup final, and I could feel the weight of expectations from everyone around me.

The final itself was a spectacle. From the moment we stepped onto the pitch, the intensity was palpable. In the third minute, Tafea thought they had taken the lead when Abert Vanva put the ball in the net. The stadium erupted, but then came the offside flag. It was a close call, and I could see the frustration on Tafea’s faces. We were lucky, and it was a wake-up call.

Minutes later, we had a scare when we cleared the ball off our own goal line. It was a frantic moment, and I could feel my heart in my throat. But then, in a swift counter-attack, Spokeyjack launched a perfect cross-field pass to Roni Tavite. He was unmarked and headed the ball home off the frame of the goal. The roar from our supporters was deafening. We were in the lead!

Tafea fought back hard. They pressed us relentlessly, and our defense had to be at its best. In the 80th minute, disaster struck. After just substituting one center back, Christopher Tommy was shown a red card for a dangerous lunge. It was a moment of panic. I immediately subbed off Kalepo Walia for Barry Mansale and shifted to an ultra-defensive formation. We pulled everyone behind the ball, determined to hold on.

Those final minutes were some of the longest in my career. Tafea threw everything at us, but our defense was impenetrable. Every tackle, every block, every save was met with a roar from the crowd. When the final whistle blew, the stadium exploded in celebration. We had done it. We were champions of the PVFA Cup, and with the league title, we had won the double!

spacer.png

The celebrations were extraordinary. The players, staff, and fans all came together in a joyous frenzy. There were hugs, tears, and endless chants of victory. The taste of victory was sweet, and the feeling of lifting the trophy was indescribable. The sense of achievement, the culmination of all our hard work, was overwhelming.

spacer.png

1st December 2024 - Season 3 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

I met with my assistant manager, Joseph Bob, and our director of football, Michael Damelip, to analyze our performance and strategize for the future earlier today. The atmosphere was a mix of satisfaction and determination—we achieved so much, but we know we can’t rest on our laurels.

Joseph provided an in-depth analysis of our top players, which highlighted both our strengths and areas for improvement.

spacer.png

Roni Tavite was a key player for us on the right wing, with 9 goals and 5 assists in 18 appearances. His ability to create opportunities and his impressive dribbling skills made him a constant threat to the opposition. His average rating of 7.58 reflects his significant impact on the team.

Jayson Tari, our leading striker, had a prolific season with 15 goals and 6 assists in 33 appearances. Despite a couple of injuries, he maintained a high level of performance, achieving an average rating of 7.56. His finishing ability and knack for being in the right place at the right time were crucial for us. He was pipped to the post for top goalscorer though by inside forward Kaltfer Kaltack with 16 goals and 8 assists who had a phenomonal season, developing a strong relationship with Spokeyjack on the left wing. He substantially outperformed his xG this season, so it will be interesting to see whether he reverts back to the mean next season.

In defense, Tom Saksak and Christopher Tommy were solid as ever. Tom, a new arrival this season, contributed with 2 goals from defense and a passing accuracy of 84%, and Christopher, with 3 goals and 1 assist, provided stability at the back. Both had high average ratings, around 7.5, highlighting their reliability.

Jonathan Spokeyjack was a standout performer at left back, contributing 13 goals (including 9 penalties) and 10 assists. His versatility and ability to join the attack were invaluable, earning him an average rating of 7.48.

Julian John in the defensive midfield role was pivotal, with 5 goals and 7 assists. His ability to break up play and distribute the ball effectively was reflected in his 85% passing accuracy and solid average rating of 7.24 and his ability to score from direct free kicks secured a number of key victories.

Midfield dynamo Xavier Jimmy proved to be a key player in the latter half of the season, with 4 goals and 1 assist in 17 appearances, earning an average rating of 7.19. His vision and passing accuracy were crucial in controlling the tempo of our games.

Our goalkeeper, Dgen Leo, was a rock between the posts, playing in 39 matches with an average rating of 7.06. His composure and shot-stopping ability were critical in many tight matches.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the balance and depth of the squad as we prepare for next season - right back is perhaps the one area of the pitch where I think we're lacking quality in both our first team option Joel Botleng and in any back up if Joel is unavailable. We'll be playing in the OFC Champions League for the first time which will increase the demands on the team and will be a step up in quality for us, so it will be interesting to see how we perform.

20th January 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Nicko, our Head of Youth Development, and I met again with Frank Taiwia, the club chairman, to once again push for increased funding for our youth setup. This meeting felt like déjà vu; we had a similar conversation back in March where Frank had firmly refused any additional funding. However, given our recent successes, Nicko and I were hopeful that Frank might change his mind this time.

Nicko started the meeting by reiterating once again the importance of investing in our youth development. He did a great job and his passion was really shining through. I was able to back him up, presenting examples of some of the youngsters who were starting to come through our existing youth programme.

Frank listened patiently, but his stance remained unwavering. He was steadfast that the club was already spending enough on youth coaching. "We have a decent setup, and for a club our size, it's more than sufficient," he argued. Despite our best efforts, it seemed like history was about to repeat itself.

spacer.png

However, we didn’t give up. Under continued pressure from Nicko and me, Frank finally relented a little. He agreed to a small increase in the funding allocated to our youth recruitment network. It wasn’t as much as we had hoped for, but it was a step in the right direction. I could see the relief and slight satisfaction in Nicko's eyes.

spacer.png

As the meeting concluded, Frank asked me to stay behind for a private chat. Once Nicko left, Frank looked me in the eye and laid out his expectations for the upcoming season. "Jonah," he began, "with this increase in funding comes the expectation of continued success on the pitch and the bar has been set high:

spacer.png

His message was clear: the additional funding was not a free pass. It came with high expectations, and the pressure was on to deliver. As I left Frank’s office, I felt a mixture of determination and anxiety but I was confident in our team’s ability to rise to the challenge. 

Catching up with Nicko later in my office we talked through how to invest the funds that Frank had approved. We were both keenly aware that every Vatu had to be spent wisely to make the most impact. We eventually concluded that we would expand our existing partnerships with local schools to run after-school football programs and talent identification camps - helping us to spot talent early and integrate them into our academy. We're also going to set aside a small pot of money to pilot running targeted digital campaigns showcasing our academy’s success stories, upcoming events, and trials to draw attention from young players and their families.

20th February 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Today, the draw for the OFC Champions League was made, and I have to say, it's going to be a formidable challenge for Ifira Black Bird. As the anticipation built, we were all gathered around, hoping for a favorable draw, but instead, we find ourselves up against some of the toughest competition in the region.

Wellington Olympic

First up, we have Wellington Olympic from New Zealand, last seasons Champions League winners. This club is steeped in history, founded in 1953 by Greek immigrants as Apollon AFC. Over the years, it evolved, finally adopting the name Wellington Olympic in 1983. They’re affectionately known as ‘The Greeks,’ a nod to their roots, and the local Greek community still forms the backbone of the club's support. Their premier team competes in the Central League, one of the sub-divisions of the New Zealand National League which they have won the last 4 seasons consecutively. Facing the tournament holders and the undoubted strongest team in the competition is no small feat, and their squad, rich with Greek heritage, is known for their passionate and skillful play.

Henderson Eels

Next, we’re up against Henderson Eels, the champions of the Solomon Islands. This club has quickly risen through the ranks, having played in the Honiara Football League until 2017 before joining the Telekom S-League, the highest level of football in the Solomon Islands. Owned by wealthy entrepreneurs, Hudson and Hellen Wakio, the Eels are a formidable force both on the soccer field and in futsal. Their rapid ascent and dominance in the league are a testament to their quality and ambition. 

AS Vénus

Our third opponent is AS Vénus from Mahina, Tahiti. They play in the Tahiti First Division and host their matches at Stade Municipal de Mahina. With a strong partnership with French giants AS Saint-Étienne, they have access to excellent resources and training, making them a formidable opponent. The Tahitian champions are known for their technical skills and strategic play. 

spacer.png

The draw has undeniably placed us in a group with some of the strongest teams in the competition - but in order to win a competition you need to beat the teams that are put in front of you!

In the midst of preparing for these formidable opponents, I had a bit of a personal adventure. Having never left Vanuatu before, I assumed I would need a passport to travel to these destinations. So, I dutifully headed down to the local passport office, filled out the forms, and even posed for a somewhat awkward passport photo.

When I mentioned this to my friends and colleagues at the club, they couldn't contain their laughter. They quickly pointed out that for this season's competition, Vanuatu has been chosen as the host country! All of the clubs will be traveling here to compete, and there I was, completely oblivious, thinking I needed to prepare for international travel.

While I felt a bit foolish, the mockery was all in good spirits. I was slightly disappointed that I wouldn't get the chance to travel and see new places, but the prospect of playing on home soil is incredibly exciting. The familiarity of home, coupled with the passionate support of our fans, could provide us with a significant advantage.

The fact that Vanuatu is hosting the tournament brings an added layer of excitement. Many of the games, including the final, will be hosted at Kings United Stadium, my old club's stadium. It's heartening to see how my old team have managed to overcome the challenges with denied planning permission and now won the rights to host the most prestigious competition in the region - hopefully the income they receive will help to deal with some of their debt issues.

The atmosphere at Kings United Stadium will be electric, and I know our fans will turn out in droves to support us. The home nation familiarity, combined with the roaring support from the stands, could be just the boost we need to make a deep run in the tournament.

20th March 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The players have really risen to the occassion and performed absolutely magnificently over the last few weeks and finished top of our group in the OFC Champions League, securing our place in the quarter-finals. 

spacer.png

Our campaign kicked off with a resounding 3-0 victory over Henderson Eels. Joseph Obed was in spectacular form, scoring two goals in the 9th and 52nd minutes, while Roni Tavite added another in the 26th minute.

Next, we faced Wellington Olympic, the defending champions. This was always going to be a tough fixture, but our boys held their ground, resulting in a goalless draw. Despite not scoring, we showed great resilience and tactical discipline, proving that we could compete with the best.

Our third match was a thrilling encounter against AS Vénus, which ended in a 4-3 victory for us. We raced into a 4-0 lead, with Kalepo Walia scoring in the very first minute, followed by goals from Jayson Tari (9th minute), Roni Tavite (18th minute), and Joseph Obed (25th minute). AS Venus fought back though after half time and could easily have snatched a point if we hadn't held our nerve.

In our second match against Henderson Eels, we had to come from behind before we secured a 2-1 victory, thanks to a dramatic late brace by Kalepo Walia in the 83rd and 85th minutes. The Eels almost equalised before there goal was ruled out for offside.

Our rematch with Wellington Olympic was a decisive 3-1 victory. Jayson Tari got us off to a flying start with a goal in the first minute, followed by Frazer Tommy scoring in the 35th minute, and Roni Tavite sealing the win in the 66th minute. Beating the reigning champions was a massive confidence boost and a highlight of our group stage campaign.

We concluded the group stage with a solid 2-0 win against AS Vénus. Alfred Vira opened the scoring in the 24th minute, and Jordy Tasip added a second in the 81st minute. This victory ensured we finished at the top of our group, undefeated.

spacer.png

With the group stage behind us, our focus now shifts to the quarter-finals, where we will face Lautoka, the champions of Fiji. This upcoming match will be a significant challenge, but given our form and determination, I am confident that we can rise to the occasion and continue our journey in the OFC Champions League.

spacer.png

Having never played a game with a team outside of Vanuatu before, I had no idea how Ifira BB would compete on the continental stage. However, our results, especially against Wellington Olympic, have filled me with the belief that we really could go on and win the whole competition. Our performance so far has been nothing short of exceptional, and I am confident that we can carry this momentum into the quarter-finals.

Posted (edited)
4th June 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

I'm gutted to write this entry today. Our journey in the OFC Champions League came to an abrupt end at the quarter-final stage following a disappointing defeat to Lautoka.

The game started on a promising note. In the 19th minute, Jonathan Spokeyjack fired us into the lead with a superb strike from just outside the area after a cutback from Joseph Obed, setting the tone for what we hoped would be a dominant performance. We spent a lot of time in the attacking third, however, we were wasteful with our opportunities, managing only 4 shots on target from 16 attempts. We really missed our top player so far this season Roni Navite who was sitting on the sidelines with strained knee ligaments. Kaltfer Kaltack who was our top scorer in all competitions last season was toothless against their robust defence.

Lautoka, in contrast, was far more clinical with their chances. They equalized in the 38th minute when Prasad won an aerial battle in the box, knocking the ball down to Chand, who rifled it home with precision. Then in the 54th minute, Xavier Jimmy was adjudged to have committed a foul in the box. Nalaubu stepped up and comfortably converted the resulting penalty, putting Lautoka ahead.

Despite our efforts to respond, we couldn't find a way through their defense. It was a tough pill to swallow, especially given how well we had played in the group stage and the high hopes we had for this competition.

spacer.png

Following our exit, Lautoka faced Wellington Olympic in the semi-finals but fell apart over two legs, suffering a 7-3 aggregate defeat. The other Vanuatan side in the competition, Tafea, also saw their campaign end in the semi-finals, losing to New Caledonian side Ne Drehu. In the final, Wellington Olympic showed their class and experience, lifting the title with a 4-1 aggregate win against Ne Drehu.

Seeing Wellington Olympic lift the trophy was a stark reminder of the level we aspire to reach. Their consistency and clinical finishing are benchmarks for us as we look to the future.

Although this defeat stings, I am proud of what we have achieved this season. We demonstrated that we can compete with the best in the region, and there were many positives to take from our campaign. The experience we gained will be invaluable as we aim to build on this and come back even stronger next year.

For now, we will regroup, analyze our performance, and focus on our domestic competitions. There is still a lot to play for, and I am confident that this setback will only serve to fuel our determination and drive us to greater heights.

Edited by chile_paul

29th August 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

After the heartbreak of our OFC Champions League exit, the team has rebounded spectacularly. We've gone on a remarkable 12-game winning streak, clinching the Port Vila Premier League title and securing the first qualifying spot for the VFF National Championship stage. This run of form has been nothing short of phenomenal, showcasing our resilience and determination to overcome the disappointment of our exit from the OFC Champions League.

At one point we were so dominant, I genuinely believed we might win every match, such was our dominance. However, we hit a bump in the road against bottom-of-the-league Mauwia. With a new manager at the helm, Mauwia played brilliantly, taking the lead and almost securing all three points. In the final minute, a mix-up between their central defender and goalkeeper allowed Jayson Tari to score a scuffed equalizer. It was a dramatic end to a match that highlighted the unpredictable nature of football.

Our penultimate game saw another slip-up, this time against rivals ABM Galaxy. In a disappointing collapse where we really failed to show up, we lost 2-0, a result that was hard to swallow but served as a valuable lesson in maintaining focus and intensity throughout the season.

Morale was restored in the final game of the opening stage with a pulsating 4-3 victory against Tafea. This was a topsy turvy match where a 10 minute spell from the 60th minute saw us pick up 3 goals, but Tafea were always in the contest and it was a nervy final spell before we emerged victorious, confirming our progress with a commanding 10-point lead over Tafea in second place. 

spacer.png

One of the standout stories of our season has been the emergence of Frazer Tommy (YP3h) from our youth setup. His performances in training were exceptional, earning him a well-deserved opportunity in the first team. Frazer has seized this chance with both hands, picking up 6 goals and 2 assists in just 13 appearances. His impact has been immediate and significant, establishing himself as my first-choice attacker on the left-hand side. His energy, creativity, and finishing ability have added a new dimension to our attack, and I couldn't be more pleased with his progress.

spacer.png

12th September 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

As the transfer window closes, it's time to reflect on the changes to our squad. Our Director of Football, Michael Damelip, has been busy, and there have been some notable arrivals that have the potential to make a significant impact on our campaign.

spacer.png

Notable Arrivals

Christopher Ollie: Secured on a free transfer after failing to agree a new contract with Erakor GS, Christopher is a seasoned central defender with 10 caps for the Vanuatu national team. His experience and defensive skills make him a valuable addition to our backline.

Miqueias: A real unknown quantity, Miqueias is a Brazilian winger our scouts discovered. Willing to make the move to Vanuatu, he offers versatility, capable of playing on the right wing or deputizing for Jayson Tari as our lead striker. His flair and unpredictability could provide us with an extra edge in attack.

Joseph Tommy: An attacking left-sided midfielder from North Etafe Utd, Joseph brings creativity and energy to our midfield. His ability to link up play and provide assists will be crucial as we push for further success this season.

Julian Shem: A young defensive midfielder from Pango GB, Julian adds depth to our midfield options. His defensive instincts and work rate will be important in shoring up our midfield and providing cover for our backline.

Alan Birindelli: Perhaps the most intriguing arrival is a young Italian defender who Michael spotted playing on the beach while here in Vanuatu on holiday. An amateur player back home, he was offered the chance to extend his stay in Vanuatu and join us on a £210 a week contract, making him our most expensive player. This move is a huge gamble, both for Alan and for us, but his passion and raw talent could prove valuable.

With these new arrivals, our squad is now quite bloated. Moving players on has proven difficult, and while we've managed to send some youngsters out on loan, managing the balance of the squad remains a challenge.

One decision that left me puzzled was Michael's arrangement for young starlet Frazer Tommy (YP3h) to go on loan for the second half of the season to Tupuji Imere. Given his outstanding performances in the first half, where he scored 5 goals and provided 4 assists in 12 appearances, this move seems counterintuitive. Frazer has been one of our best players, and his absence will be felt. However, this could also be an opportunity for others in the squad to step up and prove their worth.

Posted (edited)

10th November 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

What a season it's been! As the VFF National Champions League play-off stage concludes, I'm thrilled that Ifira BB have dominated and secured the championship with ease. We dropped only 5 points out of a possible 54, and those were in the final two games, after we had already clinched the title. It's been a journey filled with highs, memorable moments, and a couple of bumps along the way.

spacer.png

spacer.png

One of the standout periods of the season was our back-to-back fixtures against Nalkutan in September. Both games tested our resolve and character as we had to fight back from going behind. In the first match, we were locked at 1-1 until the 93rd minute when a dramatic last-gasp winner from striker Jayson Tari saved the day. The second encounter was equally tense, and we trailed until the 87th minute when first Jayson Tari stepped up again, followed by a winner thanks to Roni Tavite in the very next minute to secure a hard-fought victory. These matches showcased the team's fighting spirit and never-say-die attitude, key elements in our successful campaign.

Another crucial match was our first away tie against ABM Galaxy, which ended in a thrilling 3-2 win. Jayson Tari was the hero of the day again, scoring a 95th-minute winner that sent our supporters into raptures. This game was pivotal in maintaining our momentum and solidifying our lead at the top of the table.

The home fixture against Tafea was a more straightforward affair, with a comfortable 2-0 win that demonstrated our control and dominance. However, with the championship secured, I was keen to finish the season with a perfect record. Unfortunately, in the penultimate game away to Tafea, we were held to a 1-1 draw. Kaltfer Kaltack gave us an early lead, but Tafea equalized in the 14th minute. Despite then being reduced to ten men, Tafea's goalkeeper Daniel August Alick put in a world-class performance, making 10 saves and denying us the victory.

Our final game against ABM Galaxy was a disappointing end to an otherwise stellar season. With the championship already secured, the team seemed to lack the intensity and focus we've shown throughout the campaign. ABM Galaxy took advantage, and Roy Malere's header at the far post sealed a 1-0 win for them. It was an anti-climactic way to close out our league campaign, but it serves as a reminder that we must always strive to maintain our standards.

spacer.png

Next up is the PVFA Senior Shield final against ABM Galaxy in a week's time. Given the lackluster performance in our last encounter, I'm determined to ensure the team is fully prepared and focused. We owe it to ourselves and our fans to finish the season on a high note.

In other exciting news, the club has offered me a new contract at £160 a week, which I've happily accepted. I'm thrilled to continue building on the legacy we're creating here at Ifira BB. The support from the club and fans has been incredible, and I'm eager to continue this journey and achieve even greater success in the future.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by chile_paul

22nd November 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The PVFA Senior Shield final has brought another thrilling chapter to our season. 

Our campaign began in the 2nd round, where we faced Malampa Premier League side Lenuk at home. For the second season in a row, the first game in this competition was unexpectedly tough, with both teams level at the end of normal time. It wasn't until the 120th minute, just before we would have faced the nerve-wracking penalty shootout, that Jonathan Spokeyjack scored a crucial penalty, ensuring our progression.

The third round saw a more straightforward victory, as we comfortably dispatched Yatel with a 4-1 win. This game showcased the squad's depth and attacking prowess, a theme that continued in our subsequent matches. In the fourth and fifth rounds, young striker Alfred Vira emerged as a key contributor, scoring three goals across the two fixtures. Our run continued with a 4-0 win against Waterfall and the 2-0 victory over Tafea in the quarter-finals and semi-finals, respectively.

spacer.png

The final against ABM Galaxy was always going to be a tight and fiercely contested match, especially given our defeat in the league the week previously. We started on the back foot when Roy Malere, a familiar threat, won and converted a penalty in the 25th minute to put Galaxy ahead. His second goal against us in recent encounters reminded us of the challenge we faced.

However, the team's response was immediate and effective. In the 40th minute, young midfielder Joseph Obed scored the equalizer, assisted by the ever-reliable Spokeyjack who managed to thread a pass through their backline for Obed to run onto and slot past their onrushing goalkeeper, leveling the match as we headed into halftime.

The second half saw Ifira BB take control of the game, dominating possession and pushing Galaxy back into their half. Despite our dominance, Galaxy remained dangerous on the counter, and both teams created chances that kept the fans on the edge of their seats. As the match approached its final moments and extra time seemed inevitable, an incredible piece of play sealed our fate.

With just seconds left on the clock, 18-year-old midfielder Julian Shem found substitute right winger Roni Tavite unmarked in the box. Tavite took his chance brilliantly, powering the ball past Galaxy goalkeeper Benjamin Chilia into the top right corner of the net. The stadium erupted in celebration, and with that goal, we secured a dramatic 2-1 victory and the PVFA Senior Shield for the second season in a row.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

December 10th 2025 - Season 4 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Today, I had an insightful discussion with Director of Football Michael Damelip and Assistant Manager Ismael Leo. As we reviewed the season, we focused on key performances and future planning.

We started by highlighting Roni Tavite, whose 19 goals and 9 assists made him a standout player. His consistency and finishing ability were vital for us, making him one of our most reliable attackers. At 32, Roni Navite is the oldest player in the squad. While he still contributes significantly, there’s a natural concern that his abilities might decline soon, making it important for us to plan for the future.

Christopher Tommy anchored our defense with his composure and strong aerial presence. His 90% pass accuracy and 5 Player of the Match awards underscore his importance to the team.

Our leading goal scorer, Jayson Tari, impressed with 20 goals, often scoring in crucial moments and stepping up with last minute winners. His efficiency in front of goal was matched by his ability to find space and exploit defenses.

Miquéias, our Brazilian winger, brought flair and creativity to the right wing. Despite being with us for only a short time, he quickly became a key player with 10 goals and 8 assists. However, he recently expressed uncertainty about renewing his contract next year. He might explore opportunities back home in Brazil, given his talent and aspirations.

Julian Shem was another new addition, arriving mid-season from Pango GB. Despite joining us later, he quickly made an impact, particularly with his passing and playmaking skills. His 6 assists in just 10 games showed his ability to influence games from midfield.

Our younger talents, such as Frazer Tommy (YP3h), made notable contributions. Before his loan move, he showed real promise with 7 goals from 15 appearances. Alfred Vira was valuable off the bench, often changing the course of games with his energy and goal-scoring prowess.

We identified the goalkeeper position as a potential area for strengthening. Dgen Leo had disappointing performances in critical matches, including the PVFA Senior Shield final and the OFC Champions League quarter-final. With no reliable deputy, it’s crucial to find a solid backup or even a potential new first-choice keeper to ensure stability in this vital position.

spacer.png

The discussion also covered our approach to the next transfer window and the importance of maintaining squad depth while fostering young talent. The potential departure of Miquéias along with Roni Navite's age could leave us with a significant gap on the right wing, so we need to be proactive in our scouting and recruitment.

Today also brought some disappointing news about our club's infrastructure. I received word that, due to rapid technological advances in football training methods, our facilities are no longer considered competitive. Once a point of pride, they're now only rated as below average in the footballing world. This is a concerning development, as it could impact our ability to develop players and maintain our competitive edge.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Recognizing the importance of staying at the forefront, I decided to approach our chairman, Frank Taiwia, with a series of proposals aimed at boosting the club’s long-term prospects. My first request was for an investment in upgrading our training facilities. I argued that better facilities would not only improve our current squad’s capabilities but also make us more attractive to potential signings.

I also suggested we increase investment in youth coaching. The emergence of young talents like Frazer Tommy (YP3h) and the potential within our academy show that we have a promising pipeline. Improving our youth coaching would ensure we maximize the potential of these young players, giving them the best possible start to their careers.

Lastly, I reiterated my earlier request to improve our youth recruitment network. A stronger scouting network would help us uncover hidden gems and build a team capable of dominating both domestically and internationally.

Unfortunately, Frank rebuffed all of my requests. He cited financial constraints and the need to prioritize immediate operational needs over long-term investments. It was a disappointing outcome, especially considering the momentum we've built and the potential for further growth.

spacer.png

For now, it seems we'll have to work within our existing constraints and focus on getting the best out of what we have. It's frustrating, but I’m determined to keep pushing for improvements. The ambition and vision for the club remain, even if the resources do not.

Posted (edited)

1st February 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

As we gear up for the new season, I had a crucial meeting with Frank, the chairman, to discuss the club's expectations and reflect on past performances. Frank started off on a positive note, expressing the board's satisfaction with my leadership and the strong backing I've received from the players. It's gratifying to know that our achievements last season haven't gone unnoticed.

spacer.png

However, the tone shifted when Frank brought up the board's disappointment with our handling of transfer activities, particularly the loan deals. He criticized the lack of fees secured from other clubs in these arrangements, suggesting we missed potential revenue opportunities. I felt this criticism was a bit unfair, as the responsibility for transfers primarily lies with our Director of Football, Michael Damelip. Furthermore, I defended the necessity of loaning out young players, explaining that it's crucial for their development, especially when they aren't getting enough first-team playing time with us.

Despite these points, Frank remained unconvinced. He emphasized that the board expects better financial outcomes from our dealings, regardless of the challenges.

I chose not to mention that Michael had just arranged a loan deal for Naki Selona (YP3E) to Black Diamond FC in the First Division the day before. Sometimes it's best to keep certain details under wraps, especially when they might not sway an already tense discussion.

Frank then laid out the board's heightened expectations for the upcoming season. The targets include:

spacer.png

These goals certainly elevate the pressure on all of us, demanding nothing short of excellence from the start. The board's ambitions are clear, and while the challenge is significant, I'm resolved to guide the team to meet and exceed these expectations.

Edited by chile_paul

20th March 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

As we prepare for the start of the OFC Champions League campaign, there's a palpable sense of excitement in the air. This season, the group stage kicks off slightly later than last year for us, as we've been drawn in Group C. With Groups A and B already completed, we've had the luxury of a full and comprehensive campaign of friendly matches, all resulting in wins for Ifira BB. This has also allowed us to make a start on the league campaign on a strong note, securing 9 points out of 9.

spacer.png

The squad remains unchanged since the start of the season, with no new transfer dealings other than the outgoing loan deal for Naki Selona (YP3E) to Black Diamond FC. The team is settled and ready for the challenges ahead. The group stage draw has placed us against AS Venus, the league champions from Tahiti, whom we also faced last season. We'll also be competing against Eastern Suburbs from New Zealand, the surprise winners of last season's New Zealand championship, and Southern United from the Solomon Islands.

I'm quietly confident about our chances this year, though I must admit, the board's heightened expectations add a layer of pressure. Despite this, I find myself energized by the challenge. We've beaten all comers in Vanuatu, establishing ourselves as the top team in the country. Now, it's time to test ourselves against the best that the continent has to offer. It's a chance to showcase the strides we've made and to prove that our dominance at home can translate onto a larger stage.