[FM22] Beyond the Waves: The Story of the Rise of a Vanuatun Coach - Hex-perimentation: One Challenge Fulfilled, Five Still Beckon

1st April 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The first three games of our OFC Champions League campaign have been promising. We opened with a dominant 5-1 win against Southern United, followed by a hard-fought 2-1 victory over the New Zealand champions, Eastern Suburbs. Our third match, a 1-1 draw against AS Venus, kept us tied for first place in the group with 7 points, alongside the Tahitian champions. It's been a solid start, and the squad's morale has been high.

But then came the news that rocked our world. Michael Damelip informed me that Western Suburbs, a club from New Zealand, had expressed interest in signing Charles Ollie. This was monumental—the first time a foreign club had shown serious interest in an Ifira BB player. Initially, Western Suburbs offered to sign Charles on a free transfer. I rejected the offer outright, believing we could retain him for our crucial upcoming matches. However, this move backfired.

Charles came to see me the next day, visibly agitated. His usual composed demeanor was gone, replaced with a tense, almost desperate energy. As he sat down, I could see the turmoil in his eyes. "Coach," he started, voice trembling with controlled anger, "this is a big opportunity for me. I can't pass it up. We need to be realistic."

I tried to reason with him, knowing how crucial he was to our campaign. "Charles, I understand where you're coming from, but we have to protect the club's interests as well. If Western Suburbs really want you, they should be willing to pay a fair price. I think we could negotiate for something around £50k."

The mention of a transfer fee seemed to ignite something in him. His jaw clenched, and he leaned forward, eyes blazing. "£50k? Are you serious? This isn't just about money, Coach. This is my career! You can't just slap a number on me and think that's fair."

I sensed the anger rising in him but pressed on, hoping to find a compromise. "Okay, let's discuss this. Maybe £30k, or even £20k. We need to find a balance here."

Charles stood up abruptly, his frustration boiling over. "No! You don't get it, do you? This is a chance for me to play at a higher level, to build a career for myself and my family. I won't let you put a price tag on my future. If you won't let me go for a reasonable amount, then you're just holding me back." His voice was almost shaking with anger now.

The conversation ended acrimoniously, with Charles storming out of the room, leaving me sitting there, feeling the weight of the situation. I knew then that we couldn't keep him, not without causing significant unrest in the squad.

When Western Suburbs came back with an offer of £9k, potentially rising to £13k, we had little choice but to accept.

spacer.png

As news of the transfer spread, it caused an uproar among the squad. Tensions ran high; the air was thick with disbelief and frustration. A group of players, including some of our senior figures, demanded a meeting with me. They were visibly angry, their loyalty to the club and their sense of betrayal palpable.

"How could you let him go?" one of them asked, voice tinged with accusation. "We’re on the brink of something great, and you’re just going to let one of our best players walk away?"

It was a challenge I hadn't anticipated. I understood their anger; they saw Charles as a key part of our defensive line, integral to our chances in the Champions League. I took a deep breath, trying to convey calm and reason. "Listen," I began, choosing my words carefully, "this wasn't an easy decision. Charles is a great player, and losing him hurts, but he's not just a player; he's a person with dreams and ambitions. He’s been given a rare chance to step onto a bigger stage, and we can’t begrudge him that. Keeping him here against his will would only create discontent and hurt the team more in the long run. We’re getting a transfer fee, which can help the club in the future."

The room fell silent, the tension still thick but simmering. Some players seemed to understand, nodding reluctantly, while others remained skeptical. I could see the doubt in their eyes. It was a delicate moment—balancing the emotional fallout with practical realities.

spacer.png

To fill the void, Michael has been working tirelessly. He's secured a deal for a young Vanuatuan player, Samson Damelip, who has been playing in New Zealand with Wairarapa United. Samson has just made his debut for the Vanuatu U-20 national team, showing promise. However, we haven't had the opportunity to scout him thoroughly, so it's a gamble. Moreover, Samson won't be able to join us until the transfer window opens in June, leaving us with a significant gap in the squad during this critical phase of the Champions League.

spacer.png

This situation is far from ideal, but we have to press on. The team must rally together and adapt to these changes.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

30th April 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The conclusion of our Champions League group campaign was a rollercoaster of emotions, but we managed to recover from the loss of Charles Ollie and finish in first place. Our final three group matches saw us beating both Southern United and AS Venus and securing a draw against Eastern Suburbs. The tension was palpable as we headed into the final game of the group stage, with Eastern Suburbs shockingly failing to score against Southern United. This unexpected result meant they did not qualify for the knockout stages. Instead, AS Venus progressed in second place, thanks to a more favorable head-to-head performance following their 2-0 win against Eastern Suburbs earlier in the campaign.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Securing the top spot in our group granted us a favourable quarter-final draw against Veitongo from the Tongan national league. Despite being the underdogs, Veitongo had been outperforming expectations, having qualified through the preliminary competition. Nevertheless, we were the comfortable favourites for the match, and things initially seemed to go according to plan. We raced into a 2-0 lead just before half-time, playing with confidence and flair. But then, the spectre of complacency set in.

In the 67th minute, our defense faltered. We failed to deal with a free kick delivered to the near post, leaving Halapua Vai free to head the ball into the net. The shock wasn't over. Just four minutes later, in the 71st minute, we were caught out by a simple long ball from Veitongo's goalkeeper. Our defense was caught napping, allowing Sione Palei to run through on goal and calmly slot the ball past Dgen Leo. From a commanding lead, we suddenly found ourselves level at 2-2, and the mood shifted from control to panic.

The players were visibly shaken, and I could feel the tension creeping into the sidelines. We regrouped, and in the 80th minute, we were awarded a penalty—a lifeline to regain control of the match. With Jonathan Spokeyjack off the field, the players looked to me for guidance on who should take the crucial spot-kick. After a moment's hesitation, I selected Zhou Kun. He stepped up confidently, but to my horror, his shot struck the crossbar and rebounded to safety. My heart sank; I felt we were on the brink of a disastrous collapse.

But the players didn't give up. They fought on, driven by the determination not to let this opportunity slip away. In the dying moments of the match, the 95th minute, we earned a free kick just outside the area. It was our last chance. Julian Shem, who had been a reliable player since joining mid-season, stepped up. The tension was unbearable. As he struck the ball, it sailed over the wall and into the top corner of the net. The stadium erupted in rapturous celebrations, fans and players alike. I was overwhelmed with relief and joy, our narrow escape from what could have been a humiliating exit.

spacer.png

It was a much tougher match than it should have been, but in the end, we pulled through. We're into the semi-finals, and while this match was a reminder of the unpredictability of football, it also showed the resilience and fighting spirit of this team.

In the semi-finals we will play Labasa of Fiji over 2 legs, home and away. Labasa were runners up to Lautoka of Fiji in their league last season but have been struggling this year and find themselves in 6th place of the Digicel Premier League. However they were unbeaten in the OFC Champions League group stage and beat AS Venus in the quarter finals. It feels like a game we should be winning across two legs and there is a route ahead of us through to the final if we can just step up and take it. 

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

21st May 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

I'm sitting here in the departure lounge at Nadi International Airport, Fiji, with a heavy heart and a mind clouded by disappointment. It's been a long journey so far—halfway through a grueling 12-hour and 50-minute trip, hopping between two domestic flights within the islands of Fiji before the third international flight as we make our way back to Vanuatu after the second leg of the OFC Champions League semi-final. The weight of our defeat in Labasa looms large, and I can’t shake the feeling of missed opportunity.

spacer.png

The first leg of the semi-final at home had been tightly contested, ending in a 1-1 draw. Jayson Tari's goal just before halftime gave us hope and I had expected us to build on that momentum in the second half. But Labasa were fortunate and scored with their only shot on target—a header from Simione Nabanu after our defense failed to clear a free kick. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but we still had a fighting chance in the second leg.

spacer.png

The send-off from Vanuatu before we departed for the second leg had been heartwarming. Fans and well-wishers gathered at the airport, their cheers and flags lifting our spirits as we boarded the plane, hopeful and expectant.

Labasa is known within Fiji as the Friendly North, and its reputation was apparent as we arrived. The streets were alive with the aroma of spices and the vibrancy of local culture. Staying at the Grand Eastern Hotel, one of the town’s few accommodations, we explored the market and the local cuisine. The small family-run eateries and spice shops painted a picture of a community rich in tradition and warmth.

spacer.png

The team was energized and ready, believing we could secure the away win we needed. But as soon as the whistle blew for the start of the second leg, it became clear we weren't the same team that had impressed in the group stages. Labasa’s game plan was executed flawlessly. They played us at our own game, pressing us in midfield, forcing turnovers, and exploiting our high line. Abdul Sami’s goal—a powerful strike after slipping through our defense—was a brutal wake-up call.

By halftime, we were 1-0 down, and it could have been worse—Labasa had already unleashed 15 shots, 7 of them on target. I tried to make tactical adjustments, shifting to a more cautious, counter-attacking stance, but it felt like fighting a rising tide. The second goal, coming from a failure by Tom Saksak to clear a low cross, was the final blow. Christopher Khan turned it in, and we were staring down the barrel of defeat.

We managed a brief glimmer of hope when Bong George threaded a pass to Frazer Tommy, who scored a consolation goal. But it was too little, too late. We were outplayed, out-fought, and out-competed. Key players across both legs—Christopher Tommy, Miqueias, Tom Saksak, Julian John, Jayson Tommy—underperformed, and the gap in quality was painfully evident.

spacer.png

The mood in the dressing room was heavy—a mix of frustration, disappointment, and a sense of what might have been. We had fought so hard, but on the day, it wasn’t enough. The journey back to the airport was silent, with the only sound being the subdued murmurs of our team. The vibrant streets of Labasa, which had once felt full of promise, seemed a distant memory. We were met with the reality of our shortcomings, and it’s a bitter pill to swallow.

It’s a long way back home, but I hope the journey gives us time to process, regroup, and emerge stronger. We’ve faced setbacks before, and we’ll face them again. What matters now is how we respond and use this experience to drive us forward.

Edited by chile_paul

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

31st May 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Today, I assembled the entire backroom team for a post-mortem of our OFC Champions League campaign. It was a hard meeting, but a necessary one. We sat down in the cramped meeting room at the club, the walls lined with our past triumphs, but the recent disappointments looming large in our minds. Around the table were Michael Damelip, our Director of Football; Steven Kere, the chief scout; Ismael Leo my assistant manager; and the coaching team. The mood was subdued, but there was a clear determination in the air—we needed to learn from this, to evolve.

We dissected the goals we conceded, the tactics we employed, and the individual performances. There were no excuses—just brutal honesty. We all knew that despite our recent dominance in the Vanuatu domestic league, we were falling short on the continental stage. The competition was fierce, and our current squad, as committed as they were, simply didn’t have the depth or quality to compete with the very best.

Michael brought up the reality of the situation. "We’ve done well with what we have," he began, "but the truth is, we’re reaching the limits of what our current squad can achieve on this stage. The Champions League is another level entirely."

The discussion shifted to logistics—how we could attract quality foreign players to our club, how we’d manage the budget, and what positions were the most critical to reinforce. It was clear that this would be a delicate balancing act. We needed to find the right players, not just those with the skills, but those who would fit into the team’s culture and ethos.

As we explored our options, the scouting team brought up an interesting point. They had been keeping a close eye on Erakor GS, a team that has underperformed in recent years but still maintains a strong reputation for developing some of the best young talent in Vanuatu. The scouts recommended a number of their players who could bolster our squad without breaching the league’s limit on foreign players. This was crucial, as we’re only allowed four foreign players in each match-day squad. The balance between domestic and foreign talent had to be just right.

One major concern was the situation with Miqueias, our Brazilian right winger. His contract is due to expire in January, and he’s shown no willingness to sign a new deal. As much as I’d love to keep him, the reality is that he probably see's his future at a higher level than we can reach. We discussed the possibility of selling him now to secure a fee—ideally with a future sell-on clause to ensure we benefit if his career progresses. It’s a tough decision, but one that needs to be made sooner rather than later.

As we were nearing the end of the meeting, another issue came to light—one that had been brewing for a while but hadn’t been fully addressed until now. There’s growing discontent within the squad, particularly among players who believe they should be star players and regular starters. They’re frustrated with the level of squad rotation and the perceived lack of playing time. It’s an issue I’ve been aware of, but hearing it discussed in this setting made the problem feel even more urgent.

I argued that the demands of our league require a level of rotation. We can’t afford to rely on the same eleven players week in and week out; the risk of injury and burnout is too high. But I also recognized that we can’t keep everyone happy, especially as we look to bring in new talent. Some of the squad will need to be trimmed back. If we can’t give them the playing time they’re looking for, it’s only fair to let them go.

It’s a delicate situation. On the one hand, we need depth and competition within the squad. On the other, unhappy players can be a cancer in the dressing room, and I can’t allow that discontent to fester. The coaching team agreed that we’ll need to make some tough decisions in the coming weeks—decisions that could reshape the squad and, hopefully, put us in a stronger position for next season.

As we wrapped up the meeting, there was a sense of resolution in the room. We knew what we had to do.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

31st July 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

We’ve done it again — secured the Port Vila league title for a second year in a row. Despite the ups and downs this season, our dominance on the local stage remains unchallenged. This title win also confirms our place in the VFF National Super League round, where we’ll face the best of the rest across the country. 

We came agonizingly close to a perfect record, only to slip up in the very last game against Sia Raga. Frazer Tommy (YP3H) saw red just ten minutes in, a rash challenge that left us a man down for nearly the entire match. That early setback exposed us, and we fell to a 2-0 defeat. It stings, especially since it’s the first game we’ve failed to score in since last November. The unbeaten season was within our grasp, but it just wasn’t to be.

spacer.png

Still, the bigger picture is what matters. Tafea FC and Erakor GS have joined us in qualifying for the Super League. Erakor GS, in particular, have steadily improved, and secured second place. We'll cross paths with them again soon in the champions play-off stage, but if our transfer plans come off when the window opens a number of their players will be wearing Ifira BB shirts instead. 

spacer.png

On the other hand, ABM Galaxy FC’s failure to secure a top-three finish has stirred up quite a bit of drama. Their manager, Barry Alick, has come under heavy fire, and there are loud calls for him to be sacked. It’s an odd feeling—I’ve always believed in the sanctity of the managerial position, and it’s never pleasant to see a fellow coach in the firing line. But Barry has been a constant critic of mine in the press, always quick to point out what he sees as flaws in my management and our team’s style of play. So, while I won’t be celebrating if he loses his job, I’m not going to be the one defending him either. Football can be a brutal business, and results are all that matter in the end.

Back in the OFC Champions League, Labasa inevitably faced perenial contenders Wellington Olympic in the final and across two legs were completely outclassed as the New Zealand based side won 8-1 on aggregate. Maybe I'm not so disappointed to have missed out on that opportunity after all.

Edited by chile_paul

31st August 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The transfer window has finally slammed shut, and I can barely catch my breath. This has been one of the busiest periods I’ve ever experienced, but looking at the squad now, I feel a sense of accomplishment. We’ve conducted some strong business, bringing in a mix of young talent and experienced players who can help us push forward, both domestically and on the continental stage.

The arrival of Samson Damelip from Waiarapa United in New Zealand is something I’ve been looking forward to for months. He’s a strong central defender with the potential to become a key player for us. His experience playing in New Zealand’s competitive environment should help him hit the ground running here.

But it doesn’t stop there. We’ve also secured three promising youngsters from Erakor GS, a team that has a reputation for developing the best young talent in Vanuatu. Massing Kalotang is a 23-year-old goalkeeper with 12 caps for the national team already under his belt. The scouts rave about his ability to rise to the occasion in big games—something we sorely need after the inconsistency we’ve seen in goal recently. Then there’s Frank Adams, a 21-year-old who can play centrally or on either wing. His versatility and resolute personality are exactly what we need in a squad that requires flexibility. Finally, Jacob Willie, at just 18, can play in central defense or midfield. His aggression and work rate are off the charts, and despite his age, he’s already tasted international football.

spacer.png

Perhaps the most exciting additions, though, are the foreign players we’ve managed to attract. Mariusz Leszczynski is a standout—this 19-year-old right winger was released by Legia Warsaw, despite earning a call-up to the Polish U21 team. It’s a coup to have him here; his potential is enormous, and I’m excited to see how he’ll adapt to football in this part of the world. Alongside him, we’ve brought in Abdelkrim Amiri, a 19-year-old Algerian who can operate anywhere on the right flank, and Nathan Lopes, a 20-year-old defender who offers cover at both left and right back. Rounding out our foreign signings is Bruno Leonardo, an 18-year-old central midfielder from Brazil whose determination is nothing short of remarkable. This kid is driven, and I have no doubt he’ll bring that hunger to every match.

However, as I reflect on the transfer window, there’s still one lingering doubt in my mind: our striker situation. Despite all our efforts, we’ve struggled to adequately strengthen this crucial area of the squad. Jayson Tari remains our lead striker, and while he’s been reliable for us, I had hoped to bring in someone to either complement or challenge him for that starting spot. Unfortunately, the best our Director of Football, Michael Damelip, could do was to secure Kenny Arsen—a backup player from ABM Galaxy FC. I have to admit, I’m yet to be convinced that he can do a job for us at the level we need. Arsen has shown flashes of potential, but he’s hardly the game-changing forward I was hoping for. In a squad that’s brimming with new talent and promise, the lack of firepower up front is a real concern.

Of course, with all these new arrivals, we had to make some tough decisions about outgoings. The squad was already bloated, and we simply couldn’t keep everyone happy, especially with the level of squad rotation I’ve had to employ to keep us competitive across all competitions. Players like Xavier Jimmy and Klen Nimruken have performed well for us domestically, but after careful assessment by the coaching staff, it was clear they weren’t going to push us to the next level. It was difficult to let them go, but the needs of the team come first.

Miqueias, our Brazilian right winger, will also be departing in January. We weren’t able to find a buyer for him during this window, but he’s agreed to pre-contract terms with São Bernardo, a lower league team in Brazil. It’s a shame to see him go, especially without securing a transfer fee, but it’s clear his heart wasn’t in staying here any longer. I’ll miss his flair on the pitch, but we need players who are fully committed to our cause.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking at the squad now, I feel a mix of excitement and trepidation. We’ve brought in quality, but it’s a balancing act. The Vanuatuan league’s rule of no more than four foreign players in each match-day squad means we have to be smart about how we use our new signings. The competition for places will be fierce, and I expect some continuing discontent among the players who think they should be starting every week. But that’s football, and it’s up to me to manage those egos and ensure we maintain the unity that’s brought us this far.

19th September 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Today marks a significant turning point for Ifira BB, both in the boardroom and for me personally. Frank Taiwia, our longstanding chairman, has decided to retire. It wasn’t entirely unexpected—Frank had hinted at stepping down over the past few months—but it’s still a moment that feels weighty. He’s been at the helm for as long as I’ve been at the club, guiding us through both calm and stormy waters. His departure could have been a turbulent one, but thankfully, the handover was swift and seamless.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Frazer Wanemut, a former club director, has taken over as the new chairman. Frazer’s a familiar face around the club, and he’s always been a staunch supporter of our ambitions. He knows the club inside and out, which gives me a sense of continuity and stability at a time when we’re making strides both on and off the pitch.

spacer.png

Within hours of his appointment being finalized, Frazer reached out to me. It was clear he wanted to reassure me that I still have his full backing. He didn’t waste any time—his first order of business was to extend my contract by another year. The offer came with no fuss, just a simple, straightforward extension on the same terms. I didn’t hesitate to accept. Frazer’s confidence in me was a much-needed boost after the whirlwind of the last few months.

spacer.png

The conversation we had was brief, but it carried a lot of weight. "Jonah," he said, his voice calm but resolute, "I want you to know that I believe in the direction you’re taking this club. Frank left big shoes to fill, but I’m here to ensure we keep moving forward, together."

Hearing that was reassuring, but I’ve learned not to miss an opportunity when it presents itself. With the confidence Frazer was showing in me, I took a deep breath and decided to push my luck a little. “Frazer,” I began, carefully choosing my words, “if we’re going to keep pushing this club forward, I need to keep improving as a manager. I’d like to pursue the National B licence, to add more tools to my arsenal.”

There was a pause on the other end of the line, the kind that usually makes your stomach twist with anticipation. But then I heard him chuckle softly, “Jonah, that’s exactly the kind of ambition I like to hear. Consider it approved. We’ll arrange everything—just focus on getting that licence and bringing what you learn back to the club.”

spacer.png

I couldn’t help but grin. It felt like another step in the right direction, another building block for the future we’re trying to create here. But Frazer wasn’t done. Before I could even express my gratitude, he added, “And let’s not stop there. I know you've been pestering Frank about this and having been reviewing our youth setup, I think it’s time we doubled down on our commitment to developing young talent. I’m going to approve additional funding for both our junior coaching staff and further improvements to our youth recruitment network. We need to make sure we’re not just dominant now, but that we stay that way for years to come.”

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was floored. Not only had Frazer approved my coaching course, but he was also willing to invest even more in the very foundation of our club. I could hardly contain my excitement. “Frazer, this is fantastic news. I can’t thank you enough. This is exactly what we need to stay competitive—not just here in Vanuatu, but across the entire region.”

“This club has a bright future, Jonah,” Frazer said, his voice full of conviction. “And I’m counting on you to lead us there. Let’s make sure we leave no stone unturned.”

I love stories from this part of the world - I'm currently managing the Cambodian national team. Very well written too.

So when you finally crack the OFC Cup, do you move on?

Following with interest.

16 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I love stories from this part of the world - I'm currently managing the Cambodian national team. Very well written too.

So when you finally crack the OFC Cup, do you move on?

Following with interest.

Thank you, great to have you following Jonah's story.

In terms of whether he moves on (if) and when Ifira manage to win the OFC Cup I guess we'll have to wait and see - he's definitely ambitious, but Vanuatu is such a footballing backwater would anybody take a punt at hiring him, even with a continental competition win under his belt??? It's unlikely to make back page headline news outside of Oceania........

17 minutes ago, chile_paul said:

Thank you, great to have you following Jonah's story.

In terms of whether he moves on (if) and when Ifira manage to win the OFC Cup I guess we'll have to wait and see - he's definitely ambitious, but Vanuatu is such a footballing backwater would anybody take a punt at hiring him, even with a continental competition win under his belt??? It's unlikely to make back page headline news outside of Oceania........

What the 'hexagon' challenge? Is it winning everything in 6 separate Oceanic nations?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

What the 'hexagon' challenge? Is it winning everything in 6 separate Oceanic nations?

No, it's all of the different continental competitions:

- OFC Cup

- CAF Champions League

- AFC Champions League

- CONCACAF Champions League

- Copa Libertadores

- UEFA Champions League

Very much inspired by the @KibworthBull thread on the forum, although his version is soooo much harder and with many more additional elements than Jonah would intend his to be!

Assuming Jonah can win the OFC Cup and if his reputation has grown enough, you can expect he might wend his way to Asia or Africa next to see if he can get further continental success.

Edited by chile_paul

40 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Although that in itself is an interesting idea for a save..........

Posted (edited)

10th October 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Today was one of those tough days that come with managing a football club—days when the optimism of our grand plans collides with the reality on the ground. I spent the morning with Nicko Taiwa, our Head of Youth Development, going over the latest batch of youth players who are ready to make the step up to the U20 squad. It was a difficult conversation, to say the least.

Every year, we hope to uncover a few gems—players who can make the grade and eventually push for a spot in the first team. But this year’s crop has been disappointing. As we went through each player’s profile, it became painfully clear that the quality just isn’t there. Very few, if any, look capable of developing into the kind of players we need to maintain our dominance, let alone compete on a bigger stage.

spacer.png

This is especially concerning given the recent investments that Frazer Wanemut, our new chairman, has approved for the youth setup. We’re now starting to pour resources into improving our junior coaching and youth recruitment network - costing an additional £3k a month - with the hope that it would bear fruit in the coming years. So, to see such a poor return this year was disheartening.

Nicko, sensing my frustration, tried to reassure me. “Jonah, I know this isn’t what we were hoping for, but these things take time. The investments we’re making now will take a few years to pay off. The quality you’re seeing this year is a reflection of the lower investment levels in the past, when these kids were first coming through the ranks. It’s going to take time for the new structure and resources to start producing the kind of talent we’re aiming for.”

I knew he was right, but it didn’t make the reality any easier to swallow. The fact is, we’re in a results-driven business, and patience is often in short supply. But we have to play the long game. We can’t expect overnight success, even if the investments and intentions are right.

After much deliberation, Nicko and I managed to identify five youngsters who we believe are worth offering contracts to. It was a tough call, and even with those five, we’re not entirely convinced they’ll make the grade. But we have to give them a chance to develop further and see if they can rise to the challenge.

spacer.png

For the rest, though, we reluctantly agreed that there’s no point in keeping them on. They simply lack the necessary potential to contribute meaningfully to the club, and it would be unfair to keep them around with false hopes. Releasing them is never easy, but it’s the right decision for both the club and the players themselves.

Edited by chile_paul

11th November 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

We’ve done it again. For the third year running, Ifira BB have stormed home to lift the VFF National Super League Champions Playoff trophy, and this time, we’ve done it in style. The gap between us and our nearest challengers, Malampa Revivors, was a staggering 13 points. It’s not just the margin that’s impressive—we’ve outdone ourselves on every front compared to last season. More points, more goals, fewer conceded. Every metric shows we’re moving in the right direction.

spacer.png

spacer.png

It feels good to see the fruits of our labor. The investments, the training, the focus — it’s all paying off - and we’ve cemented our place as the undisputed kings of Vanuatuan football. In 18 games, we were only beaten once, but that loss still leaves a bitter taste.

spacer.png

The match against Tafea, our eternal rivals, was a frustrating affair. For 60 minutes, we were in a tight contest, with the game finely balanced. But then Frazer Tommy (YP3h) made a reckless challenge, earning himself a second yellow card and leaving us with 10 men. The timing couldn’t have been worse. In what turned out to be a disastrous five-minute spell, Tafea capitalized immediately, scoring twice in the 61st and 63rd minutes. Our defense was in disarray, and just like that, the game slipped away from us.

We thought we had a lifeline in the 84th minute when Mariusz Leszczynski found the back of the net, but the joy was short-lived as the goal was ruled out for offside. That decision deflated the team, and things went from bad to worse when Jayson Tari picked up an injury in the 86th minute. With all our substitutions used, we were forced to finish the game with only 9 men on the pitch.

It was a brutal end to a match that could have gone either way, and I can’t help but think how differently things might have turned out if Frazer had kept his composure. Three red cards from 14 starts and 9 substitute appearances—two of which led to our only defeats this season—is simply unacceptable. I’ve made it clear to Frazer, as have his teammates, that this kind of behavior won’t be tolerated. He’s got the potential to be a key player for us, but he’s got to learn to control his aggression on the pitch. Right now, his future with the team is in serious doubt. We can’t afford to have someone who’s a liability in big games.

Aside from that blip, our league campaign has been plain sailing. Thirteen of our fixtures ended with more than a one-goal winning margin, and unlike last year, there were no last-gasp winners needed. We’ve been dominant from start to finish, and it feels like we’ve truly turned a corner.

spacer.png

Nobody can touch us in domestic football right now. We’ve set a new standard for ourselves and for the league. The challenge now is to keep pushing, to keep improving, and to make sure we don’t get complacent. We have our third successive PVFA Senior Shield final to play against our old rivals ABM Galaxy on Sunday and I want to make it a treble-double. 

But for now, I’ll savor this moment. Winning never gets old, and lifting that trophy again feels just as sweet as the first time.

Sunday, 15th November 2026 - Season 5  - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Another trophy secured, and another chapter of success written in the history of Ifira BB. Today, we lifted the PVFA Senior Shield for the third season in a row, capping off a dominant campaign with a hard-fought 3-1 victory over ABM Galaxy. The taste of victory never gets old, and this one was particularly sweet given the journey we’ve had to the final.

spacer.png

Our run started in emphatic fashion, a 7-0 demolition of lower-league side Long Beach in the second round. It was a welcome change from recent seasons, where our first foray into the competition has been more of a nail-biter than a walk in the park. The boys came out with the right mindset, putting the game to bed early and never letting up. A comprehensive victory, and a sign of our intent to retain the title.

Subsequent rounds were a series of away fixtures, but that didn’t slow us down. The only real test came against Port Vila Premier League side Yatel, where we had to dig deep to secure a narrow victory. The team showed great composure under pressure, and after that match, it felt like we had a clear path to the final. The other ties were relatively straightforward, as we made easy work of the teams set up against us, showcasing our strength in depth and the quality of our squad.

spacer.png

Today’s final against ABM Galaxy was always going to be a tough match. Despite their disappointing league campaign, Galaxy had found their form in the cup, and we knew they’d come at us with everything they had. We couldn’t have asked for a better start, though. In the 6th minute, Mariusz Leszczynski was tripped in the box, and our Brazilian midfielder Bruno Leonardo stepped up to calmly convert the penalty. 1-0 up early on, and it felt like we might run away with it.

But credit to Galaxy—they tightened up defensively and made life difficult for us. We dominated possession and peppered their goal with long-range shots, but they held firm. It wasn’t until the 72nd minute that we finally broke through again. A lovely passing move started with substitute striker Kenny Arsen, who found our marauding inverted wing-back Nico Lopes. Lopes, always a threat going forward, slipped a perfectly weighted pass through to Leonardo, who had ghosted past his marker. With plenty of time and space, Leonardo lofted the ball over the onrushing Galaxy goalkeeper Sylvain Adams, nestling it into the left-hand corner of the net. 2-0, and we had one hand on the trophy.

Galaxy weren’t done, though. In the 80th minute, they clawed their way back into the game. Their right winger, Vale Ratutui, outmuscled Alan Birindelli to flick a long ball from their keeper into the path of striker Moffat Kiriau. Kiriau didn’t need a second invitation, stroking the ball home to give their fans a glimmer of hope. It was a blow, and for a brief moment, it looked like we might be in for a nervy finish.

But that hope didn’t last long. Abdelkrim Amiri, playing out of position on the left wing today, showed his versatility and class. He cut back and floated a cross to the far post, where our retiring veteran, Roni Navite, was waiting. Navite rose above the defenders and powered a header home. 3-1, and the match was sealed. What a way for Roni to end his time with us, scoring the final goal in his last game for the club. It was a fitting send-off for a player who has given so much to Ifira BB over the years, and the emotions were palpable as the final whistle blew.

spacer.png

Lifting the PVFA Senior Shield for the third consecutive season is a testament to the hard work, dedication, and quality of this squad. We’ve maintained our dominance in domestic competitions, and today’s victory is just the latest example of that. The hunger to win, to keep pushing for more, is still there, and as we celebrated on the pitch, I could see in the eyes of every player that they’re already looking forward to the next challenge.

Thursday, 10th December 2026 - Season 5 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Today’s end-of-season review meeting was as enlightening as it was bittersweet. Sitting down with Michael Damelip, Nicko Taiwi, and Ismael Leo, we went through the squad’s performances from this year, analyzing every detail to ensure we continue building on our success. But what started as a routine review quickly turned into a memorable meeting, for more reasons than one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

We began by looking at the standout performers. Bruno Leonardo has been an exceptional presence in midfield, contributing 7 goals and 3 assists in 14 starts, with an average rating of 7.69. His 90% pass accuracy and 39% shot accuracy were instrumental in controlling games from the center. Bruno's consistency, combined with his ability to come up with crucial goals, has made him one of our most valuable players this season.

Our leading striker, Jayson Tari, once again proved why he’s our main man up front. With 14 goals, 7 assists, and 8 Player of the Match awards from 30 starts, Jayson’s impact was undeniable. His xG (expected goals) of 12.68 reflects just how critical he has been in turning chances into goals. He’s been a reliable figure, though his injury towards the end of the season was a blow.

A special mention goes to Mariusz Leszczyński, who not only matched Jayson’s goal tally with 7 but also led the team with 8 assists. His dribbling has been a nightmare for defenders, averaging 2.82 dribbles per game, and his creativity from the right wing has opened up countless opportunities for the team. His average rating of 7.64 shows just how consistent he’s been.

But the real surprise of the season was Kenny Arsen. When Michael signed him mid-season, I had my doubts. Kenny’s performances, however, have silenced those doubts. With 7 goals from just 8 starts, and an xG of 3.72, he’s proven to be a potent finisher. His 42% shot accuracy is impressive, and despite my initial skepticism, his average rating of 7.69 speaks volumes. However, Ismael did point out that Kenny seems to struggle with the pressure in big games. He looked visibly nervous when he came on as a substitute in the cup final, and that’s something we’ll need to work on if he’s to become a key player for us in the long term.

Our defensive unit was solid, with Tom Saksak and Christopher Tommy being pillars at the back. Tom’s 88% pass accuracy and Christopher’s 91% pass accuracy show how they’ve contributed not just defensively but also in building play from the back. Both have been consistent performers, with Tom earning 3 Player of the Match awards and Christopher maintaining a steady average rating of 7.34.

The team’s overall performance was excellent, but there were some areas of concern, especially in terms of discipline. Frazer Tommy (YP3h), despite his 10 goals, has a worrying record of 3 red cards. His aggressive play has cost us, particularly in crucial games, and it’s something we’ll need to address in the offseason.

As the discussion shifted to the club’s finances, Michael provided an update that underscored the importance of our continued success. The club has an overall balance of £134k and made a profit of £23k this season. However, Michael was quick to point out that this profit was largely due to the prize money from lifting the PVFA Shield and the VFF Super League Champions Playoff. Without that prize money, we would have been running at a loss. Our expenditure has increased significantly, particularly this month, where it reached £20k due to increased player wages and bonus payouts. The investment in the youth setup and the salaries for our foreign players are adding to our financial pressures, so we’ll need to deliver results to justify these costs moving forward.

spacer.png

As the meeting drew to a close, just as we were about to wrap things up, Ismael dropped a bombshell. He announced that he wouldn’t be renewing his contract with the club. He’s been a loyal assistant manager, a true right-hand man, but he’s ready to pursue his own ambitions and seek managerial opportunities elsewhere. I could see the determination in his eyes, and while it’s a huge loss for us, I understand his desire to step up and take on a new challenge.

It was a sobering end to what had been an otherwise positive review. We’ll need to start thinking about how to replace Ismael’s influence on the team, but for now, I’m just grateful for everything he’s contributed to Ifira BB. His departure marks the end of an era, but also the beginning of a new chapter—for both him and the club.

Tuesday, 2nd January 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

I wasn’t expecting the phone call I received today. It’s been a busy festive season, wrapping up the year and preparing for what’s next, but this call came out of the blue and left me with a lot to think about.

It was Charles Ollie on the other end of the line. Hearing from him was a pleasant surprise. Charles was a rock in our defense last season, and his departure to Western Suburbs in New Zealand left a significant gap in our backline. We exchanged some friendly small talk, catching up on life since he moved abroad.

Charles sounded content overall, but as we talked, he opened up about some of the challenges he’s faced. He’s found it tough to break into the Western Suburbs first team. Despite his best efforts, he’s only made a handful of appearances. It’s a different level of competition, and he admitted that the step up has been harder than he anticipated. But he remains determined to make his move a success, saying that the experience has pushed him to work even harder and improve his game.

Aside from the football he sounded content. He mentioned how he’s settled into life in New Zealand. The weather, while a bit cooler than back home, suits him just fine, and he’s been enjoying the professional setup at Western Suburbs. He told me about how his girlfriend has adjusted well to the move, finding work and making new friends, and how they’ve even taken up hiking—something they’d never have considered back in Vanuatu. He spoke fondly of the Kiwi hospitality and how the football culture there is different, more structured and disciplined, but he’s embraced it fully.

After catching up on life, the conversation took an unexpected turn. Charles casually mentioned that the manager of Western Suburbs had just resigned. I could tell he was leading up to something, but I wasn’t prepared for what came next.

“Jonah,” he said, “you should think about applying for the role.”

I was taken aback. My immediate reaction was a mix of surprise and skepticism. “Me? Apply for a job in New Zealand? They wouldn’t take me seriously, Charles. I’ve only managed here in Vanuatu, and my experience is still limited.”

But Charles wasn’t having any of my doubts. “Listen, Jonah,” he pressed on, “Western Suburbs isn’t just any club anymore. They’ve just gone permanent this year. The club’s had a massive injection of investment—multi-millions, Jonah. They’ve got the biggest and best youth academy in the country now, and they’re looking to build something special. They want someone who can take them to the next level, and I genuinely think that someone could be you.”

spacer.png

I could hear the excitement in his voice as he talked about the club’s ambitions. “They admire what you’ve done with Ifira BB—how you’ve taken a small club from Vanuatu and turned us into a dominant force. The Champions League performances, the talent you’ve developed—like me, for instance. They’ve noticed all of it.”

It was flattering, but the thought of uprooting everything to move to New Zealand, to leave behind the team I’ve built, was daunting. “I don’t know, Charles,” I said slowly. “It’s a big leap. I’ve worked hard to build something here, and I’m not sure I’m ready to walk away from that.”

There was a pause on the other end of the line before Charles came back, his tone more serious. “Jonah, let me ask you something—are you really going to be happy staying in Vanuatu all your life? You’ve got bigger dreams than that, don’t you? I’ve seen what you can do. Don’t you want to test yourself at a higher level, with better resources, and see just how far you can go? Or are you going to stay comfortable where you are and never know what you might have achieved?”

His words hit hard, not in a negative way, but because they forced me to confront something I hadn’t really considered before. Have I been too content with what I’ve accomplished here? Do I have the ambition to push myself further, to see what I’m truly capable of on a bigger stage?

Sensing my hesitation, Charles added one more piece of advice. “Jonah, you should think about finding yourself an agent. Not just to talk through your options for this role, but to connect you to future career opportunities. Whether or not you apply for the Western Suburbs job, having someone in your corner could open doors you haven’t even thought about yet.”

He recommended an agent he’s met with in New Zealand, a woman named Sophie Carter. “She’s got a great reputation and knows the football scene here inside out. I can connect you with her if you’re interested. She’s someone you can trust to guide you through this process.”

The conversation ended with Charles urging me to seriously consider the offer and think about my future. As I put down the phone, I found myself in deep thought. I’ve always believed in building something meaningful wherever I am, and that’s what I’ve done at Ifira BB. But now, as the year draws to a close, I can’t help but wonder—am I ready for the next step? Or have I reached the limits of what I can achieve here?

And Sophie Carter… maybe it’s time I reached out and started exploring what might be possible. It’s a lot to ponder, and whatever decision I make, it could define the next chapter of my career. 

Friday, 14th January 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

It’s been an eventful start to the year. After my conversation with Charles Ollie in December, his words kept circling in my mind. I couldn’t shake the idea of testing myself at a higher level. A few days ago, I finally decided to take action and reached out to Sophie Carter, the agent Charles recommended.

Talking to Sophie was like opening a door to a whole new perspective. She’s sharp, no-nonsense, and knows the football world inside out. When I told her about the Western Suburbs opportunity, she didn’t waste any time getting to the heart of the matter.

“Jonah,” she said, “if you want to take your career to the next level, New Zealand is a step in the right direction. The football scene there is on the rise, especially with the proximity to Australia and the A-League. Perform well there, and suddenly you’ve got eyes on you from across Asia too. The opportunities for advancement are miles better than what you’re going to find staying in Vanuatu.”

She mentioned how players and managers from New Zealand have gone on to make significant careers for themselves on the global stage. “Look at Ryan Nelsen,” she said, “he went from New Zealand to playing in the Premier League with Blackburn Rovers and even managed Toronto FC in the MLS. And then there’s Chris Wood—he’s played in the Premier League and has been one of New Zealand’s top exports. If you make your mark in New Zealand, who knows where it could lead?”

Her words hit home. Sophie has a way of making you see the bigger picture, of showing you that the risks are worth the potential rewards. She also offered to represent me, handling the negotiations and ensuring I get the best deal if things move forward. It didn’t take long for me to agree. With Sophie in my corner, I felt a lot more confident about taking this step.

And then today, the unexpected happened. I received an email from Western Suburbs’ HR team. They’re inviting me to an interview with the club’s chairman in a couple of days. It’s going to be a remote interview, given the distance, but there’s a possibility of an in-person follow-up and a tour of the club if things go well.

spacer.png

It’s hard to describe how I’m feeling right now. Excited, definitely. Nervous, absolutely. This all feels like it’s moving so fast, but Sophie was right—there’s no harm in seeing where this goes. At the very least, I’ll have a better understanding of where I stand and what opportunities might be out there.

The idea of leaving Vanuatu is still daunting, but there’s a part of me that’s curious to see what I can achieve beyond these shores. If nothing else, this process is making me confront my ambitions and question what I really want out of my career.

In a few days, I’ll be sitting down in front of my computer, talking to the chairman of a club that’s miles away, both literally and figuratively, from where I started. It’s an exciting prospect, and I know it could be a life-changing moment.

Whatever happens next, I’m going to give it my all. It’s time to see if I’m ready for this next challenge, or if my journey will continue here in Vanuatu. Either way, I’m grateful to Sophie and Charles for pushing me to take this step. Now, it’s up to me to see where this path leads.

Friday, 21st January 2027 - Season 6 - ?????

This past week has been a whirlwind, to say the least. After my remote interview with Western Suburbs’ chairman, Jarrod Searle, I wasn’t sure how things would turn out. To be honest, I walked away from that interview feeling bruised and a bit out of my depth.

Searle didn’t pull any punches. He questioned my experience, my credentials, and whether I truly understood what it would take to manage a club like Western Suburbs. “Why should we take a gamble on you, Jonah? What have you done that sets you apart from the other candidates?” he asked bluntly. I did my best to defend my track record—talking about my success with Ifira Black Bird and our run in the Champions League—but it was clear that he had his doubts. The grilling left me feeling pretty rattled, and I wasn’t sure I’d hear from them again.

Then, just a few days later, Sophie called with unexpected news. Apparently, despite the tough questioning, Searle was interested enough to want a second meeting—this time, face to face. I was stunned. Sophie was thrilled, telling me this was a huge opportunity and not to let it slip away. Before I knew it, arrangements were made, and I was on a plane to Wellington, New Zealand.

spacer.png

The next few days were a blur. As soon as I landed, Charles Ollie and Sophie were there to greet me at the airport. 

They took me on a quick tour of Wellington—a city that’s vibrant, bustling, and full of life. It’s clear why they call it New Zealand’s cultural capital. The mix of old and new, with stunning natural landscapes surrounding it, made a strong impression on me. Charles and Sophie showed me around some of the key spots—the waterfront, Cuba Street with its eclectic shops and cafés, and the view from Mount Victoria, which was nothing short of breathtaking.

From Wellington, we drove up to Porirua, the home of Western Suburbs. Porirua is different—more laid-back, with a strong community vibe. It’s a place that’s deeply connected to its Māori and Pasifika roots, and I could see how much pride the locals take in their city. We drove around Porirua Harbour, which is stunning, and then headed to Endeavour Park, the club’s ground.

The next day, I met with Searle again, this time in person. The difference in his demeanor was striking—gone was the hard-nosed interviewer, replaced by someone far more welcoming and enthusiastic. He walked me through the club’s facilities, starting with Endeavour Park itself. The stadium isn’t huge, well there isn't one really, it's back to my old days at Kings Utd with fans gathered around the pitches and Searle admitted that it needs development, but it is in a beautiful area.

spacer.png

Then we moved on to the training and youth facilities, and this is where things got really interesting. It’s obvious that there’s been serious investment here. The partnership with Olé Football Academy has brought in top-notch coaching and development programs, and you can see the ambition in the way the facilities have been set up. It’s clear that Western Suburbs isn’t just looking to compete—they’re aiming to build something long-lasting, with a focus on nurturing the next generation of talent.

After the tour, Searle brought me into the boardroom, and it was there that he made the offer. £525 a week, with a £1.4 million transfer budget and £31.5k available for player wages. It was more than I ever imagined. I sat there, stunned, trying to process what this could mean for my future. This was a serious offer—a real chance to step up into a more prominent role, with the resources to make a significant impact.

spacer.png

I told Searle I needed a couple of days to think it over. He agreed, saying he understood the weight of the decision. Now, I’m back in my hotel room, trying to wrap my head around everything that’s happened.

Wellington and Porirua have a lot to offer, and the prospect of managing Western Suburbs is incredibly tempting. But it’s also daunting—this is a massive step up from Vanuatu. The challenges will be greater, the expectations higher. But the opportunities are undeniable. Sophie was right—this is a chance to put myself on a bigger stage.

I’ve got a lot to think about. This could be the start of something huge, or I could be walking into something I’m not ready for. Either way, I know this decision will shape the rest of my career. For now, I need to clear my head and make sure that whatever I decide, it’s the right move for me.

Thursday, 27th January 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

It’s been a grueling few days—emotionally, mentally, and physically. I’ve hardly slept since I left Wellington, and the long flight back to Vanuatu only gave me more time to think and question my decision. I’ve spent hours talking things through with my parents, friends, and a few close confidantes. Everyone had their own opinions, and each conversation seemed to pull me in a different direction. But after all the soul-searching, I knew I had to make up my mind.

This morning, I finally made the call to Jarrod Searle. My heart was pounding as I dialed his number, but I knew what I had to say. Before giving him my final decision, I asked him a question that had been weighing heavily on my mind. “Jarrod,” I said, “would you be willing to wait until May, after the conclusion of the OFC Champions League? It would mean the world to me to have one last chance to lift the trophy with Ifira BB before I take up the position at Western Suburbs.”

There was a pause on the other end, and I could almost hear him weighing his options. But when he spoke, his tone was firm, if regretful. “Jonah, I understand where you’re coming from, but we can’t afford to wait until May. By then, we’ll be halfway through our domestic season, and we need a manager who can commit fully from the start. We need someone to lead us now, not months down the line.”

I knew the answer before he even said it, but hearing it still made my heart sink. Taking a deep breath, I responded, “I appreciate your honesty, Jarrod, and I’m genuinely honored that you’ve considered me for this role. Western Suburbs is a fantastic club with a bright future, and I’m grateful for the opportunity you’ve given me. But after much thought, I’ve decided that I can’t accept the position. My heart is still here with Ifira BB. I want to build something lasting here, and I truly believe that this is our year to take the Champions League trophy.”

There was a heavy silence before Jarrod spoke again. “Jonah, I’m disappointed, but I respect your decision. Loyalty is a rare quality, and it’s clear that Ifira BB means a great deal to you. I wish you the best of luck—I hope you can achieve what you’re setting out to do.”

After we hung up, I sat there for a while, staring at the phone in my hand, trying to process what had just happened. Turning down that offer—it was one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever made.

But it wasn’t over. I still had to make two more difficult calls—one to Charles and the other to Sophie. They had been so supportive throughout this whole process, and I knew they were rooting for me to take the Western Suburbs job.

Charles was the first one I called. He listened quietly as I explained my decision, but I could sense his frustration. “Jonah, mate, I don’t know what to say. You had a real shot here—a chance to take your career to the next level. Are you sure you’re not making a mistake?”

“I’ve thought about it, Charles, believe me,” I replied. “But I feel like I have unfinished business here. Ifira BB has given me so much, and I want to give them everything I’ve got this season. I want to go out on a high.”

Charles sighed, clearly disappointed but not wanting to push further. “Alright, Jonah. I respect your choice, even if I don’t agree with it. But promise me this—don’t let this be the end of your ambitions. You’ve got too much talent to stay in one place forever.”

Next, I called Sophie. Her reaction was even sharper. “Jonah, are you mad?” she almost shouted through the phone. “You’re passing up the opportunity of a lifetime! Western Suburbs is a stepping stone to bigger things—A-League, Asia, even Europe! Staying in Vanuatu, you’re limiting yourself. This is your career we’re talking about!”

“I know, Sophie,” I said, trying to keep my voice steady. “But this is what feels right for me right now. I can’t walk away from Ifira BB, not when we’re so close to achieving something incredible.”

Sophie was silent for a moment before she spoke again, this time with a hint of resignation. “I won’t lie, Jonah, I’m disappointed. But I guess I understand where you’re coming from. Just… don’t close the door on other opportunities in the future. You’ve got the potential to go far, but you need to be willing to take risks.”

We ended the call on a somber note, and I was left feeling conflicted. I know I’ve made a choice that some might see as holding me back, but deep down, I believe it’s the right one. I have to see this through with Ifira BB. There’s something special about this team, this club, and I’m not ready to walk away just yet.

Now, all I can do is focus on the months ahead. Ifira BB’s journey is far from over, and I’m determined to lead this team to the title. No regrets—just eyes on the prize.

Posted (edited)

Thursday, 6th April 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The decision to stay with Ifira BB was made, and once it was final, there was no looking back. I threw myself into preparations for the new season with renewed focus and determination. The first step was to continue my education as a coach—I completed my National B coaching license, which was a significant milestone for me. The club was quick to reward my loyalty, agreeing to fund my A License right away. It’s a demanding course, but I’m excited about what it will mean for my development as a manager.

spacer.png

In terms of transfers, the window was relatively quiet for us. We made a couple of key moves to strengthen the squad. The first was bringing in Vale Ratutui from ABM Galaxy at the end of last season to fill the gap left by Miqueias’s departure to Brazil and Roni Navite’s retirement. Ratutui’s a solid right winger, and I’m hopeful he’ll bring some fresh energy to our attack.

In the final days of the window, we also signed Julio Mahua, a goalkeeper from Lesotho. The idea was that Mahua would mainly feature in the Champions League, given the foreign player restrictions in our domestic competitions. However, the decision to sign him was soon questioned when, shortly after joining us, Mahua was called up by Lesotho for his second international cap—a friendly against Mauritania, ranked 95th in the world. It was a nightmare debut; Mahua conceded nine goals, leading to a record defeat for Lesotho. The news quickly spread, and I couldn’t help but feel the pressure mount. Was this really the right move, could I really trust him in the big games?

spacer.png

The Champions League draw was kind to us this year—we avoided the New Zealand clubs in the group stage, which is always a relief. Instead, we’re up against Navua from Fiji, Henderson Eels from the Solomon Islands, and AS Venus from Tahiti. We’ve faced Henderson Eels and AS Venus before without too many issues, but Navua is a new challenge. It’s their first time in the competition, and given how Fijian teams have knocked us out in the past two seasons, I can’t help but feel a bit uneasy about them.

spacer.png

Before our Champions League campaign kicked off, we had two domestic games to navigate. The first, against Erakor GS, was a milestone for me—my 200th game in management. Unfortunately, it didn’t start well. Erakor GS took the lead through Densly Vira, and then, to make matters worse, central defender Samson Damelip got sent off in the 43rd minute. I had to give the lads a real talking-to at halftime, and to their credit, they responded. Even with ten men, we managed to scrape a draw with a last-minute equalizer from Jayson Tari.

spacer.png

The second game, against newly promoted Shepherds Utd, was a different story altogether. We were in control from the start and secured a comfortable 4-1 win, which was just the confidence boost we needed heading into the Champions League.

Our first game in the Champions League was against Navua, and it was a nail-biter. They caught us off guard by taking the lead, but we managed to turn it around and win 3-2. The next two matches, against Henderson Eels and AS Venus, were more straightforward, and we secured comfortable victories in both. Sitting on 9 points with qualification in sight, I was feeling confident.

Then came the reverse fixture against Navua. We were minutes away from securing the win when they equalized in the 92nd minute. It was frustrating, but I kept calm—we still had our fate in our hands. The next game against Henderson Eels was a different story. We were off the pace and outplayed for most of the match. We were lucky to escape with a point, though Jayson Tari did have a goal harshly ruled out for offside. That point, however, was enough to secure our qualification, and with other results going our way, we also clinched top spot in the group.

Going into the final group game against AS Venus, I was fairly relaxed. We had already done the hard work, and there wasn’t much riding on the outcome. Or so I thought. We were 2-0 up just after halftime and cruising when disaster struck. A catastrophic ten-minute spell saw AS Venus score four goals—one in the 80th minute, another in the 85th, then two more in injury time. We went from a comfortable win to a humiliating 4-2 loss in the blink of an eye. To make matters worse, we lost two of our foreign stars, Nico Lopes and Mariusz Leszczyński, to serious injuries. Both are now sidelined until the semifinals, which leaves a gaping hole in our squad.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I left the pitch that day in a foul mood, and it’s lingered ever since. We’ve made it to the knockout stages, but losing key players and the manner of that last defeat have left me with a lot to think about. The road ahead is going to be tough, and I’ll need to dig deep to keep the team focused and motivated. 

Edited by chile_paul

Friday, 30th April 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

After the disastrous end to our Champions League group stage, it was absolutely critical to get the team back to winning ways in our domestic competition. We couldn’t afford to let the negativity linger, especially with the pressure mounting as the season progressed. Our next match against Yatel provided the perfect opportunity to regain some much-needed confidence.

Yatel didn’t put up much of a fight, but the match was far from easy. Despite dominating the game, we only managed a narrow 1-0 win. It was a frustrating evening—46 shots, 19 on target, yet we couldn’t find the net more than once. It was one of those games where the ball just wouldn’t go in, no matter how hard we tried. Still, a win is a win, and it was enough to restore some belief in the squad.

With a bit of confidence back in the team, we went on to win our next two matches comfortably. Tupuji Imere didn’t pose much of a threat, and we secured a straightforward 4-1 victory. Then came the match against Black Diamond FC, and everything just clicked. We demolished them 8-1, equalling the club’s record for the biggest win. It was a performance to be proud of—the players were relentless, and it was the perfect way to prepare for the Champions League quarter-final.

spacer.png

Topping our group in the Champions League gave us the advantage of a home draw in the quarter-finals, and we were paired with Waneagu from the Solomon Islands. On paper, they were a relatively weaker side, and we benefited from the fact that their league season had ended, leaving them short on match practice. But I knew we couldn’t underestimate them—anything can happen in knockout football.

The game started off tight, with neither side willing to give much away. However, in the 40th minute, we got the breakthrough we desperately needed. Waneagu failed to clear a Jason Tommy free kick properly, and when Jayson Tari gathered the loose ball, he crossed it back into the box. Samson Damelip rose highest in the aerial battle and nodded it down perfectly for Vale Ratutui, who rifled the ball home with conviction. It was a crucial goal that settled the nerves.

Just four minutes later, we doubled our advantage. A smooth passing move found Jayson Tari free from defenders just outside the box, and he showed his class by lofting the ball over the onrushing keeper. Going into halftime with a 2-0 lead was a huge relief, and I could see the belief growing in the players.

In the 80th minute, any lingering doubts were put to bed. Jonathon Spokeyjack stepped up to take a penalty after a handball in the box. He made no mistake, sending the keeper the wrong way with a powerful strike into the top right corner. The final whistle blew, and we had secured a 3-0 victory, booking our place in the semi-finals.

spacer.png

However, the joy of reaching the semi-finals was tempered by the realization of who we’d be facing next—Wellington Olympic, the strongest team in the competition. They’ve won the title for the last two years running and are the team to beat. But despite their strength, they only managed a narrow 1-0 win at home against AS Venus in their quarter-final, relying on an 85th-minute goal to send them through after AS Venus had a man sent off. It’s a reminder that even the best teams can be vulnerable.

It’s going to be an incredibly tough challenge, but we’re here to compete. We’ve come this far, and we’re not about to back down now. I just hope we’ve got enough in the tank to overcome this next hurdle and keep our dream alive.

Friday, 14th May 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Before we could even think about our Champions League semi-final against Wellington Olympic, there were two important domestic ties to get out of the way. Our strong domestic record continued as we secured a solid 3-1 win away to Tafea. It was a tough match, but the lads showed resilience, and we got the job done. The home game against Mauwia FC was next, and we put on a show, winning 4-2. Vale Ratutui continued his impressive start at the club with a convincing hat-trick, reminding everyone why we brought him in. His performance was exactly what we needed to keep the momentum going.

spacer.png

Then it was time for the big one—the first leg of the semi-final against Wellington Olympic at home. We’ve had their number in our last two encounters two seasons ago in the group stages where we emerged with a win and a draw, and I was determined to keep that run going. I knew we needed to take something positive to New Zealand if we were going to have any chance of making it to the final.

We started the game positively, imposing ourselves and making it clear to Wellington that we weren’t going to be overawed. We moved the ball well, and our passing game was on point. The best moment of the first half came in added time when a quality passing move that started with our goalkeeper and flowed through the entire team ended with Mariusz Leszczyński stroking the ball into the net. For a brief moment, I thought we had taken the lead, but the goal was ruled out for offside. It was a bitter pill to swallow, especially after such a well-worked move.

Shortly after halftime, Wellington took the lead. Massing Kalotang did brilliantly to save a point-blank header from Jesse Randall after a cross from the right wing, but he could only parry the ball back out to Josh Andrews, who had an easy opportunity to tap the ball home. It was a tough blow, and we were struggling to make an impact after that. Both of our wide players—Joseph Tommy and Mariusz Leszczyński, despite his goal being ruled out—were having poor games, so I decided to sub them both off, bringing on Frank Adams and Ratutui. That decision turned out to be crucial.

With fresh legs and new energy, we started to find openings. In a devastating counter-attack from a Wellington corner, Ratutui ran unopposed down the right flank and flashed the ball across the box. Frank Adams timed his run perfectly and fired the ball home past a stranded Scott Basalaj in the Wellington goal. The roar from the crowd was deafening—it was the moment we needed to get back into the game.

With the wind in our sails, we pushed hard for a winner. Frank Adams was a revelation in his 30 minutes on the pitch, delivering a player-of-the-match performance that almost single-handedly turned the game around. Despite our best efforts, though, we couldn’t find that elusive second goal.

spacer.png

Now, we head to New Zealand for the second leg as massive underdogs, knowing that nothing short of a win on their territory will be enough to see us through to the final. 

Posted (edited)

Friday, 21st May 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Before the second leg of our Champions League semi-final, we had a comfortable 3-0 win away to ABM Galaxy. The boys were in good spirits, continuing to perform well on the domestic front. It was just what we needed to maintain confidence going into what would arguably be the biggest match of the clubs history.

spacer.png

For the second leg against Wellington Olympic, we knew we had to be resolute in defense and try to keep the score tight. Our plan was to absorb their pressure and look for opportunities to counter-attack if we were still in the fixture later in the game. Unfortunately, we started poorly. It was clear from the outset that Wellington were the better team in the first half, dominating possession and creating most of the chances. Just before halftime, they made that dominance pay. A floated cross from inside the box allowed Jesse Randall to overpower our right-back, Abdelkrim Amiri, and this time, his header was unstoppable. Massing Kalotang had no chance.

At halftime, I had to have firm words with the lads. I told them to stop feeling sorry for themselves and to stop giving Wellington so much respect. We might be underdogs, but we weren’t playing to our potential, and I knew we had more to give.

The talk seemed to have an impact. We started the second half much better, showing more aggression and purpose in our play. The breakthrough didn’t come until I made some early subs, though. Joseph Tommy was once again over-awed by the occasion, so I took him off and brought on Jonathon Spokeyjack as an unorthodox left winger. I also swapped out defensive midfielder Julian John for Julian Shem to add more bite to our midfield.

The changes had an immediate effect. In the very next minute, Bruno Leonardo whipped in a corner, and Samson Damelip was left unmarked at the near post, where he headed home convincingly. That goal lifted the entire team, and then in the 67th minute, we took an incredible lead. Amiri took a throw-in from the right-hand touchline, level with their penalty area. Ratutui played the ball back to him, and Amiri lofted the ball into the box. Bruno Leonardo, with a magical piece of skill, pulled the ball down, dragged it past the defender, and fired past Basalaj.

Wellington, as expected, responded quickly. They thought they had equalized through a Jesse Randall second goal in the 78th minute, but it was ruled out for offside in the build-up. Just a few minutes later, we were equally desolate as Bruno Leonardo’s second goal was controversially ruled out as well. Tensions were at a boiling point.

Then, in the 83rd minute, disaster struck. Alan Birindelli lunged at Wellington’s right winger Kwok Wai Ming and was shown a straight red card. We were left hanging on for dear life, desperate to eke out the last seven minutes plus extra time.

But then, in the 85th minute, something incredible happened. Ratutui secured the ball in the middle of the pitch before sprinting out to the right byline. I was looking for him to hold the ball up and waste some time but instead ce cut back and fired the ball into the center, where Jayson Tari had lost his defender. Tari didn’t hesitate—he fired the ball home with precision. We were now 3-1 up with just five minutes to go. Wellington needed two goals to take the tie to extra time, and we knew we had to pull everyone back and defend for our lives.

Those last five minutes, plus added time, felt like hours, but we held firm. When the final whistle blew, it was pure elation. We had done it—we were through to the final, where we would face Eastern Suburbs, the other New Zealand team still in the competition. This victory was a testament to the grit, determination, and belief of the entire squad. We’re one step away from making history.

spacer.png

Edited by chile_paul

Monday, 23rd May 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The first leg of the final is just under a week away, with Eastern Suburbs hosting us in New Zealand for the first leg. Originally, we were booked on a flight home the morning after our semi-final second leg, but after our grueling victory against Wellington Olympic, I made the impromptu decision to stay here in New Zealand. It just didn’t make sense to put the squad through another 12-hour flight, especially with so much at stake. Frazer Wanemut, our chairman, wasn’t exactly thrilled about the idea.

When I broke the news to him, he sighed deeply, the kind of sigh that told me he was mentally calculating every extra dollar we’d be spending. “You do realize our return flights were non-refundable, right?” he grumbled.

“I know, Frazer, but what’s a few extra hotel nights compared to the chance of winning the Champions League?” I argued, though I could see the gears turning in his head as he weighed the costs. I managed to convince him by suggesting that by staying, we might save on the additional flights later in the week. With a resigned nod, he gave me the green light, though not without a warning to keep a close eye on the budget.

Staying in New Zealand has its perks. The players are getting a chance to bond, to mentally decompress, and to take in the sights. Charles Ollie has been a godsend, reconnecting with his old teammates and taking the younger lads under his wing. They’ve been to some of the local spots, soaking in the culture and enjoying the brief respite. It’s not all relaxation though—there’s a palpable tension in the air, a sense of anticipation. Everyone knows what’s coming.

I realized we needed proper facilities to train, so I made the call to Jarrod Searle at Western Suburbs. The moment he picked up, I could hear the surprise in his voice. “Jonah, I didn’t expect to hear from you so soon. What’s up?”

“Jarrod, I’ve got a favor to ask. We’re staying in New Zealand for the week to prepare for the final against Eastern Suburbs. Could we use your training facilities? We need a place to stay sharp.”

There was a pause, “You’re a cheeky one, Jonah. You know if you win, I’ll never hear the end of it from the Kiwi fans, right?”

I couldn’t help but laugh. “Well, we’ll just have to make it worth their while to come watch us. Besides, you know we’re underdogs here. We need every bit of help we can get.”

He chuckled, but I could tell he was already on board. “Alright, you can use the facilities. Just don’t go knocking us out next season, alright?”

“Deal,” I replied, knowing full well that the future was anything but certain.

Meanwhile, Michael Damelip, chief scout Steven Kere, and my new assistant manager John Avock have been keeping busy. They managed to secure tickets for the four of us for tomorrow’s Eastern Suburbs league game against Manurewa. I’m eager to get to see Eastern Suburbs in action and scouting them in person just before the final it could give us the edge we need.

But all that anticipation, all that planning, came crashing down with one piece of devastating news. John and Michael approached me late this afternoon, their expressions a mix of anxiety and frustration. I could tell something was wrong before they even spoke. “Jonah, we need to talk,” John started, his voice low.

“What is it?” I asked, my stomach already sinking.

Michael took a deep breath. “The Vanuatuan national team just announced their squad for the Pacific Games. Nine of our first-team players have been called up.”

spacer.png

I blinked, not fully comprehending at first. “The tournament doesn’t start until June 9th, right? A few days after the final? And the domestic league has been suspended until the Games are complete? What's the problem?”

“Yeah, but there’s a training camp starting this Thursday,” Michael explained, his face grim. “They’re supposed to report immediately, which means they’ll miss both legs of the final.”

For a moment, I just stared at them, my mind struggling to process what I’d just heard. Then the anger kicked in, white-hot and all-consuming. “Are you kidding me? Nine players? How the hell are we supposed to compete without them?” I snapped, pacing the room like a caged animal.

Michael tried to calm me down, raising his hands in a placating gesture. “I’ve already called the Vanuatuan FA, Jonah. I begged them for an exemption, explained the situation, but they’re not budging. I even reached out to Etienne Mermer, the head coach, but he’s sticking to his guns.”

“That’s not good enough,” I retorted. “We need to escalate this. Let’s get the Oceania Football Confederation involved, see if we can get them to move the date of the final or intercede with the Pacific Games. There has to be something we can do!”

Michael shook his head, his expression pained. “The OFC’s hands are tied. The dates for the final are locked in with the broadcasters, and they’ve already sold the rights. And as for the Pacific Games, they’re set in stone by the Pacific Games Council, the OFC have no authority over them.”

I felt my hope slipping away, but I wasn’t ready to give up. “What about the players? Can’t we ask them to withdraw from the national squad? This is the Champions League final, for God’s sake!”

John looked down at the floor, his voice heavy with sympathy. “Jonah, I’ve already talked to the players. Many of them are in tears over this. They’re torn, but they’ve made a collective decision to join the national squad.”

I stared at him, the weight of his words settling in. “They’re really going to walk away from the final? Just like that?”

John’s eyes were full of understanding, but his tone was firm. “Jonah, the Pacific Games are a massive honor—on par with the Olympics for these players. It only happens once every four years. If they pull out now, they’re risking their future with the national team. The Champions League is huge, yes, but it’s an annual competition. They’ll have another shot at it next season.”

I slumped back in my chair, feeling utterly defeated. “So that’s it, then? We’re just supposed to go into the final without our best players?”

John placed a hand on my shoulder, his grip reassuring. “We’ve faced tough odds before, Jonah. We’ll figure something out. We always do.”

But as I sit here writing this, I can’t shake the feeling that our chances are slipping away before we even step on the pitch. We’ve come so far, defied so many expectations, but this… this feels like a knockout blow. And yet, what choice do we have but to fight? To give everything we have, even if it feels like the world is against us.

Posted (edited)

Tuesday, 24th May 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Tonight, we sat down to dinner after watching Eastern Suburbs take on Manurewa in their league match. It was a game we all knew would give us crucial insights ahead of the final, and as we picked at our food, the conversation was a blend of analysis, hope, and a touch of nervous energy.

Eastern Suburbs ran out 2-1 winners, but the scoreline didn’t tell the full story. From the first whistle, it was clear they were the superior side, dominating possession and creating chances almost at will. Manurewa barely got a sniff of the ball. Had it not been for some wasteful finishing and a few excellent saves by Manurewa's goalkeeper, the result could easily have been much more one-sided.

Michael was the first to speak up after the match, his voice tinged with concern as he took a sip of his drink. “Mirko Birkmann is an absolute menace. Every bit of their play goes through him. He’s not just a danger man—he’s the danger man.”

John nodded in agreement, his brow furrowed in thought. “Yeah, Birkmann's the one pulling all the strings. He’s got a vision that’s hard to defend against. If we don’t shut him down, we’re in for a long night.”

Steven leaned back in his chair, arms crossed as he considered the implications. “But it’s not just his vision. It’s the way he drifts into pockets of space, dragging defenders out of position. He creates chaos, and they thrive on it.”

I couldn’t disagree. Watching Birkmann glide across the pitch tonight, dictating the tempo, threading passes through the tightest of gaps, I knew he was a problem we’d have to solve. But there was something else that caught my eye—something that might just be our way in.

“They play such an attacking game,” I said, setting my fork down and leaning forward. “High line, pressing forward… They leave themselves exposed at the back. If we can turn them over in midfield, get the ball out wide quickly, we’ve got the pace to get behind them.”

John nodded thoughtfully, the gears in his head already turning. “That could work. Especially if we stick to our counter-press. Win the ball back early, and we could hit them on the break before they have a chance to recover.”

Michael chimed in, “Their full-backs bomb forward at every opportunity. That’s risky, and it showed tonight. Manurewa didn’t have the speed or the quality to exploit it, but we could do.”

Steven tapped the edge of his glass, deep in thought. “And then there’s their squad depth—or lack thereof. Most of their bench was made up of youngsters, probably there just to fill the numbers. If this game had gone differently, they wouldn’t have had much to call on. That’s something we can exploit.”

John leaned back, a small smile playing on his lips. “Yeah, and did you notice how gassed they looked towards the end? They were out on their feet. They’re running on fumes, and with only two days to recover before the final, that could be huge for us.”

"So, with so many players missing, what options do we have left?" I asked 

John in an attempt to keep things positive, noted that at least Tom Saksak didn’t get called up because of his injury. “At least we’ve got an option in central defense,” he said, trying to sound upbeat.

But I couldn’t hide my frustration. “He’s still injured, though, isn’t he? What good is that? He can barely train, let alone play a full match.”

John acknowledged it with a nod. “Ideally, he’d be rehabbing for another week, maybe more. But we don’t have that luxury. We might need to risk it, ask him to play through the pain. Don't forget Birindelli is suspended for the first leg after his sending off, so we really don't have a choice.”

It was a tough call, but we don’t have many options. Michael then brought up Julio Mahua, our goalkeeper. “With Massing Kalotang called up, it’s a good thing we signed Mahua. He’s got some minutes under his belt now from the qualifying games.”

I nodded. Mahua had a rough start, conceding nine goals in his second international cap, but he’s what we’ve got. We’ll have to trust him to step up.

We talked through the midfield options next. “Bruno Leonardo and Mariusz Leszczyński are the obvious pairing in central midfield,” John said. “Julian John will have to sit deep, right on Birkmann, make sure he doesn’t run the game like he did tonight.”

There was a general consensus around the table on that plan. But the attack was another story.

“Our choices are limited,” I said, the frustration creeping into my voice. “It’s going to come down to a decision between Tui Latu (YP4c) and Kenny Arsen.”

Steven grimaced. “Lapti’s got pace to burn and he’s fearless, but he’s only started once for the first team. This is a massive step up.”

“And Arsen?” I asked, though I knew the answer already.

“He dreads big games,” John said with a sigh. “I don’t think he’s got the mentality for a match like this.”

It was a bleak conversation. We’re down key players, facing a strong, confident team on their home turf, and even our best options are full of question marks. But as we sat there, picking at our food and trying to figure out how to make this work, there was still a flicker of hope. It’s faint, and the odds are long, but it’s there.

We’re not done yet. If we’re going down, we’ll go down fighting. 

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

Saturday, 29th May 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Well, I’m still pinching myself. Five-nil. Five-nil! Against Eastern Suburbs, on their turf, in the first leg of the Champions League final. If I hadn’t been there to see it with my own eyes, I’d think it was all a dream.

In the dressing room before the match, I told the boys to keep it tight. "Make sure we're still in this for the return leg back in Vanuatu," I said. But they went out there and gave a performance that exceeded even my wildest hopes.

We took the lead in the 16th minute, and I’ll never forget that goal. Eastern Suburbs had cleared a corner back to Bruno Leonardo, who calmly played a sideways pass to Joel Botleng. And then—out of nowhere—Joel unleashed an absolute thunderbolt that rocketed into the top left-hand corner. The stadium fell silent, and our bench erupted. But I kept it together. Just one goal, I thought. Stay focused.

The second goal came in the 35th minute, and it was exactly what we’d planned for. Eastern Suburbs were pushing forward, leaving their defense exposed. Julian John lofted a ball over their backline. Mariusz Leszczyński beat the offside trap, took one touch to steady himself, and then another to round their onrushing keeper. He stroked the ball home with such calmness it was as if he’d been doing it all his life. Two-nil, and I could feel the tension in their players growing.

Then, just before halftime, it happened again. Julian John with another pinpoint through ball, and this time it was Bruno Leonardo who made the run. He collected the pass and hammered it past their stranded keeper, Connor Tracey. Three-nil. I could hardly believe it. The lads came off at halftime beaming, but I had to calm them down. "We’ve got 135 minutes of football left," I reminded them. "Anything could happen. Stay focused."

We debated whether to sit back and protect the lead, but we’d played so well that it seemed foolish to change the plan. So out they went, and they picked up right where they left off.

In the 58th minute, Mariusz ran out to the right-hand byline and whipped a deep cross into their box. Frazer Tommy (YP3h) rose to meet it. He won the aerial battle against Watson, who was already on a yellow card, and knocked the ball down to Jonathan Spokeyjack. Spokeyjack made no mistake, nestling the ball into the corner to make it four-nil. At that point, I had to remind myself to keep breathing.

Then, in the 79th minute, the cherry on top. Abdelkrim Amiri played a beautifully weighted pass that sliced open the Eastern Suburbs defense. Frazer Tommy (YP3h) put the afterburners on, racing towards goal. In a desperate attempt to stop him, their center-back brought him down right on the edge of the area. However the referee consulted VAR and decided to award a penalty. With Spokeyjack already subbed off, Amiri stepped up. He hit it with pace, just to the left of center. The keeper dived the right way but couldn’t get down quickly enough. Five-nil. Cloud cuckoo land.

spacer.png

When the final whistle blew, it was pure euphoria. The players were jumping around, hugging each other, and screaming in disbelief. I couldn’t help but join in for a few moments. But I knew we couldn’t let the emotions carry us away completely. I grabbed whoever I could—Bruno, Mariusz, Julian—and reminded them that we still have a job to do back in Vanuatu. But deep down, I knew it. We’ve done it. We’ve won the title. Now we just need to get through the next 90 minutes without catastrophe.

The celebrations in the dressing room were something special. Everyone was singing, the lads were spraying water everywhere like it was champagne, and the camaraderie was palpable. But I kept reminding them—quietly, to myself more than anyone else—that we’ve got one more leg to play.

The flight home was a surreal experience. We boarded with a quiet confidence, the kind that only comes when you’ve done something extraordinary but still need to finish the job. I caught John’s eye as we settled into our seats, and he just nodded, a small smile on his face. We didn’t say much, but the unspoken understanding was there—we’re almost there.

The boys were in high spirits, and even though I tried to keep things grounded, there was a sense that we’ve already climbed the mountain. The flight passed quickly, with some of the players dozing off while others couldn’t stop replaying the match in their heads. I overheard Frazer Tommy and Jonathan Spokeyjack discussing their goals, still buzzing with adrenaline.

As we touched down in Vanuatu, I took a deep breath. One more game. One more performance. The title is almost in our hands, and I’m going to make damn sure we bring it home.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

Saturday, 5th June 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

I don't think I've ever seen Port Vila like this. From the moment the sun rose this morning, the entire city was buzzing with an energy that was almost palpable. Streets were draped in green and yellow banners, children ran around with faces painted in our team colors, and every radio station seemed to be playing songs celebrating Ifira Black Bird. It was as if the whole of Vanuatu had come together to witness this one moment in history.

The buildup to the second leg of the Champions League final was nothing short of incredible. After our astonishing 5-0 victory in Auckland, the anticipation for the home leg reached fever pitch. Tickets sold out within hours, and for the first time in my memory, our humble stadium was set to be filled to the brim. People were traveling from the outer islands, some undertaking arduous journeys just to be part of this occasion. It wasn't just a football match anymore; it was a national event.

Eastern Suburbs arrived looking weary. They had played another tough league game, a 3-2 win that likely served to restore some pride but also sapped whatever energy they had left. Their 12-hour flight to Vanuatu seemed to have taken its toll as well. As they descended the steps of the plane, you could see the fatigue etched on their faces, their steps heavy, shoulders slumped. In contrast, our lads were fresh, energized by a full week of preparation and the overwhelming support of our fans.

As kickoff approached, the atmosphere around the stadium was electric. Vendors lined the streets selling everything from scarves to fried delicacies, and a sea of supporters filled every available space, singing, dancing, and waving flags. The air was thick with the smell of street food and the sound of drums beating in unison, creating a rhythm that seemed to echo the heartbeat of the island itself.

Walking into the stadium, I was hit by a wall of noise so intense it made my chest vibrate. The stands were a mosaic of green and yellow, punctuated by the colorful traditional attire of local supporters who had come to lend their voices to our cause. Giant banners bearing the faces of our players were unfurled across sections of the crowd, and chants of "Go Ifira!" echoed relentlessly. It was overwhelming, humbling, and inspiring all at once.

Before the match, I gathered the team in the dressing room. The mood was a mix of excitement and nerves. I looked around at each of them, seeing the determination in their eyes.

"Boys," I began, trying to keep my voice steady over the distant roar of the crowd, "we've put ourselves in an incredible position. But remember, football can be a cruel game. We have 90 more minutes to play, and we owe it to ourselves, to our families, and to these amazing fans out there to finish the job properly. Stay focused, stay disciplined, and let's make history together."

As we walked out onto the pitch, the noise level somehow rose even higher. Flares were lit, casting a smoky haze over the stands, and the sound of conch shells being blown added a traditional touch to the cacophony. I could see the awe in some of the Eastern Suburbs players' eyes; this was our fortress, and they knew it.

The game itself, truth be told, was not a classic. With such a commanding lead, we set up to defend from the outset, ensuring we didn't give them even a glimmer of hope. Eastern Suburbs, for their part, seemed resigned. Their passes lacked urgency, their runs lacked conviction. It was as if both teams knew the outcome was already decided, and we were all just playing out the motions.

That’s not to say there weren’t moments of drama. In the dying minutes of the first half, we had a golden opportunity to put the tie completely beyond doubt. Alan Birindelli, back from suspension and eager to make his mark, surged forward during one of our rare corners. As Bruno Leonardo swung in an inviting inswinger, Alan leaped majestically, only to be clattered into by their defender Lennox. It was a blatant foul, and the referee wasted no time pointing to the spot.

The stadium held its breath as Jonathan Spokeyjack placed the ball on the spot. He's been our reliable penalty taker all season, and I was confident he'd slot it home. He took his customary short run-up and struck the ball firmly to the left. But their keeper, Conor Tracey, guessed right, diving swiftly and getting a strong hand to push it away. Gasps echoed around the stadium, followed by generous applause acknowledging a fine save. I caught Spokeyjack's eye afterward and gave him a thumbs-up; these things happen, and we were still comfortably ahead.

The second half continued much like the first, with play largely confined to the midfield and neither side creating many clear-cut chances. Our defense was solid, marshaled expertly by Birindelli and Saksak, who seemed to be playing through his injury without issue. Eastern Suburbs tried to press, but their efforts were labored, their players visibly drained from their relentless schedule and the oppressive tropical heat.

Then, in the 81st minute, came the moment that truly ignited the celebrations. We launched a quick counter-attack, with Leszczyński driving forward with purpose. He danced past a couple of tired challenges before reaching the byline and cleverly cutting the ball back into the box. Waiting there was substitute Charles Massing, who had timed his run to perfection and was free of his defender. With one swift motion, he hammered the ball into the back of the net, leaving Tracey rooted to the spot.

spacer.png

For a split second, there was silence—a collective intake of breath as everyone processed what had just happened. And then, the stadium exploded. The roar was deafening, a tidal wave of joy and relief crashing over us all. Players sprinted towards Massing, piling on top of him in pure elation. On the sidelines, I couldn't contain myself. Arms raised, I found myself jumping like a madman, embracing my coaching staff, high-fiving anyone within reach. The fans were in a frenzy; some were crying, others dancing, all united in sheer, unadulterated happiness.

The final minutes ticked away amidst chants, songs, and endless waves of applause. When the referee finally blew the whistle, confirming what we'd all known deep down since that miraculous first leg, the celebrations truly began. Fireworks erupted into the night sky, painting it with dazzling colors. The players did a lap of honor, draped in Vanuatu flags, soaking in the adoration of the fans who had supported them through thick and thin.

spacer.png

In the midst of the jubilation, I took a moment to stand alone on the pitch, looking around at the scenes unfolding. Tears welled up in my eyes as memories of our journey flooded back—the challenges, the doubts, the countless hours of hard work. Against all odds, with half our squad missing and everyone writing us off, we'd done it. We'd conquered Oceania.

The post-match celebrations spilled out into the streets of Port Vila, turning the city into one giant party. Music blared from every corner, people danced in the streets, and strangers hugged each other as if they'd known each other all their lives. It was a night of pure magic, one that will be talked about for generations to come.

As for me, after the whirlwind of interviews, trophy presentations, and countless congratulatory messages, I finally found a quiet corner in the dressing room. Sitting there, amidst the discarded champagne bottles and confetti, I allowed myself a moment of reflection. Football can be a cruel game, but tonight, it was the most beautiful thing in the world.

Tomorrow, we'll start thinking about what's next. But for now, we'll savor this victory, this moment of glory that belongs to us, to Ifira Black Bird, and to all of Vanuatu.

We did it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

Monday, 13th June 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

It's been a week since that unforgettable night, and the celebrations show no signs of slowing down. Everywhere I go, people stop me in the streets, offering their congratulations, shaking my hand, or just wanting to share in the joy that has gripped the entire nation. It feels surreal, like we're living in a dream that none of us want to wake up from.

The day after the final, we were greeted by what felt like the entire population of the island. People had gathered from miles around, waving flags, playing traditional instruments, and chanting our names. I’ve never seen anything like it. The players were carried on the shoulders of fans through the streets, a procession of joy that wound its way around the stadium.

The stadium itself has become a sort of shrine in the days since the final. People come to take pictures with the trophy, which is proudly displayed in the entrance hall. We've had impromptu fan days, with the players signing autographs, posing for photos, and joining in kickabouts with the kids who idolize them. 

One of the most special moments came a few days ago when we received an official visit from Nikenike Vurobaravu, the President of Vanuatu. It was a true honor. The players and staff were dressed in their finest, and the entire stadium was decked out in Vanuatu's national colors. The President delivered a speech that left us all a little misty-eyed, talking about how our victory had united the country, brought joy in difficult times, and put Vanuatu on the global football map.

spacer.png

He personally congratulated each player, and even joked with some of the younger lads, telling them they were now national heroes. He then presented the club with a commemorative plaque, recognizing our achievement as a milestone in Vanuatu’s sporting history. It was a humbling experience, and one that I know the players will cherish for the rest of their lives.

Of course, in the midst of all this euphoria, I took the opportunity to have a quiet word with Chairman Frazer Wanemut. Frazer was on cloud nine like the rest of us, grinning from ear to ear as he soaked in the glory that had come with our triumph. I also gently reminded him that this victory shouldn’t be the end of our story—it should be the beginning.

To my relief, Frazer nodded thoughtfully. I could tell he understood where I was coming from. The success we’d just enjoyed had opened his eyes to the possibilities of what this club could achieve. In the euphoria of the win, I managed to convince him to push even more investment into our youth setup. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unfortunately, the reality of our finances means we’re still not in a position to upgrade our training facilities. That’s a conversation for another day, one that I’ll keep fighting for. But for now, I’m content that we’re making strides where it matters most—developing the next generation of players who might one day lift another trophy for this club.

spacer.png

As the days pass, the celebrations will gradually fade, and life will return to some semblance of normalcy. But the memories of this past week will stay with us forever. We've written our names into the history books, and no matter what happens in the future, no one can take that away from us.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

Saturday, 14th August 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The dust has finally settled on what has been an unforgettable month, and now it’s time to get back to reality—at least, as much as that’s possible after the whirlwind we’ve just been through. But before I dive into our league campaign, I have to take a moment to reflect on the incredible achievement of our national team in the Pacific Games.

The nine players who had to miss our Champions League final to represent Vanuatu did us all proud. I’ll admit, at the time, I was bitter about losing them. But seeing how they performed in the tournament, it’s hard to hold onto any resentment. They were magnificent. Vanuatu won all five of their group games, only conceeding a single goal and playing with a level of confidence and flair that we rarely get to see on the international stage. Each of our players played a pivotal role in that success, and as I watched from afar, I couldn’t help but feel an overwhelming sense of pride.

spacer.png

In the final, they came up against New Zealand—a formidable opponent. Despite giving it their all, the Kiwis were just too strong on the day, winning 2-0. But even in defeat, the boys held their heads high. They’d done something remarkable, bringing home a silver medal and showing that Vanuatu can stand toe-to-toe with the best in the region. The whole country is incredibly proud of them, and rightfully so.

spacer.png

As for us back at Ifira Black Bird, getting back to the grind of the league campaign after all the celebrations has been… challenging, to say the least. It’s no surprise that our form has dipped a bit. After the endless parties, the accolades, and the emotional highs, it was inevitable that there would be a hangover of sorts. We lost two games and drew one in our final six matches. In the past, I might have been furious, but after what we’ve accomplished, it’s hard to be too harsh.

spacer.png

Even with the drop in form, we managed to qualify in top spot, finishing just one point ahead of Tupuji Imere. ABM Galaxy took the third and final qualifying spot but the real surprise was Tafea who finished in 7th place. Were it not for the terrible form of Yatel and Mauwia FC they could have had a nervous flirt with the possibility of relegation. As for us, it wasn’t the dominant finish we've been used to, but we got the job done. I have to remind myself that maintaining focus after such an intense and successful period isn’t easy, and these lads have given their all.

spacer.png

The challenge now is to refocus and prepare for the next phase. We can’t afford to rest on our laurels. The boys have earned a bit of a break, but once they’re back, we’ll need to hit the ground running again.

Edited by chile_paul

Posted (edited)

Monday, 15th November 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

As I sit down to reflect on the season, it’s hard not to feel a mix of emotions. We've once again lifted the VFF National Super League Champions Playoff trophy—our fourth consecutive title. This time, we didn’t just win the league; we dominated it. Winning every single fixture is an incredible feat, and our defensive record—ten games in a row without conceding a goal—was the icing on the cake. ABM Galaxy finished a distant second, 18 points behind us, which speaks volumes about the level we’re operating at.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Our success carried over to the PVFA Senior Shield, where we breezed through to the final. A 7-0 demolition of Mwast and an 8-2 victory against Mauwia FC in the semifinals showcased our attacking prowess. But the quarter-final against Malampa Revivors was a stark reminder that football is never straightforward. It took a last-minute winner from Jayson Tari in the 120th minute of extra time to see us through—a moment of sheer relief and ecstasy.

spacer.png

But all of that was leading to the final, where we were massive favorites against Patvuti. We’d already beaten them twice this season with a 9-0 aggregate scoreline. Everything pointed to another comfortable win. The atmosphere in the stadium was electric, with a record crowd buzzing with anticipation. Our fans were ready to celebrate another trophy, and so were we.

Facing us in the opposition goal was Ismael Manruki, our former goalkeeper. I knew he’d be up for the occasion, but nothing could have prepared us for the performance he put in. Manruki was unbelievable. We threw everything at him—12 shots on target—and he saved them all. It was the kind of performance that goalkeepers dream of and forwards have nightmares about. He even saved a penalty from Jonathan Spokeyjack, who was likely playing his final game for the club. It was a cruel twist of fate for Spokeyjack, who deserved a better ending to his time at Ifira.

spacer.png

As the game wore on and we failed to break through, there was a sense of frustration growing. We dominated possession, created chances, but that final breakthrough just wouldn’t come. Then, as the game was heading towards extra time, Patvuti had a rare counter-attack. A quick break down the left wing, a cross swung into the box, and their attacking midfielder Dadly Johu met it with a powerful header. Massing Kalotang got a hand to it, but the ball had too much power behind it, and it crept over the line.

I couldn’t believe it. The crowd was stunned into silence. After all our efforts, it was Patvuti who found the net. We threw everything forward in the final minutes, desperate to salvage something, but it wasn’t to be. The final whistle blew, and Patvuti celebrated while we were left to ponder what might have been.

spacer.png

I can’t help but think back to the decision I made before the final. I’d been so confident, maybe even arrogant, in selecting Henry Taiwia (YP6a) up front over Jayson Tari. Henry had scored a hattrick in the semifinal, and everyone was raving about him as the next big thing for Ifira. I believed he was ready, that he would tear through Patvuti just as he had against Mauwia FC. But maybe I was too confident. Jayson had been our go-to man in tight situations, and while Henry has undeniable talent, perhaps Tari’s experience and composure were what we needed in that final. I can’t help but wonder—if I had started Tari, would the result have been different?

In the aftermath, I tried to keep the emotions in check. It’s tough to swallow when you’re the better team but still come up short. The boys were devastated, and it was hard to find the right words. We’ve had an incredible season, but this defeat will sting for a long time.

And then there’s the matter of my future. A month or so ago, the Western Suburbs job came up again, and this time, I had no doubts. With the OFC Champions League in the bag, I felt ready to take on that challenge. The idea of moving abroad had been simmering in my mind for a while, and it felt like the right time. I reached out to Sophie Carter again, who helped facilitate talks with the club.

But this time, Western Suburbs didn’t want to listen. The chairman, Jarrod Searle, still clearly put out by my decision to walk away at the start of the season, made it known that they weren’t going to opt for me this time around. It was a bitter pill to swallow, and it left me feeling unsettled. The thought of moving abroad, though, is now firmly planted in my mind.

Sophie has been trying to find other opportunities for me, but it hasn’t been easy. A lot of clubs won’t consider a manager of my stature from a place like Vanuatu. To them, it’s an unheard-of backwater, and they’re not willing to take a chance. The clubs that are interested don’t have the same appeal or potential that Western Suburbs had. I’ve started to wonder if I made a mistake turning down the job the first time around. If I’d taken it back then, would things be different now? 

I have a contract extension offer on the table from Ifira BB. By all accounts, it’s a good deal, and it’s tempting to stay and try to retain the Champions League title. But there’s this gnawing feeling inside me, wondering if I’m ready for something more, something different. Do I want to keep battling in the same league, or is it time to push myself further, to take on a new challenge in a new environment?

Part of me wants to accept the offer, to stay with the team I’ve built, to see how far we can go. But another part of me is yearning for a new adventure. It’s not an easy decision. I know I’ll need to make a choice soon, but for now, I’m going to take some time to think it over, to weigh my options carefully.

Edited by chile_paul

Excellent. I'm on tenterhooks to see what you decide.

Your example is continuing to give me ideas. My next save after I move on from Kiribati will be a hapless Oceanic club. Whilst Kiribati is the worst national side, it does have a 20-team domestic league, whereas there are far worse leagues in the region. I'm thinking of start in club management at Wallis & Futuna (a THREE-club league!) and meandering around before seeing if there's a job at Vanuatu when my reputation is high enough. It will be a rare journeyman excursion for me.

Sunday, 24th December 2027 - Season 6 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Christmas Eve, and instead of wrapping gifts or soaking in the festive spirit, I find myself staring at the phone, the conversation with Sophie Carter replaying in my mind. It’s hard to shake off the sense of unease that’s been building these past few months. As the calendar inches toward the New Year, the realization that my contract with Ifira BB is set to expire in just a week has become impossible to ignore. Today, Sophie called to discuss my future—a conversation that I knew was coming but wasn’t entirely prepared for.

When Sophie’s name flashed on my screen, I knew it wouldn’t just be a holiday greeting. She’s been a great friend the last couple of months, tirelessly working to find the right opportunities, but this time, the options she laid out for me weren’t exactly what I’d been hoping for. Still, I listened carefully as she detailed two potential jobs, weighing my words as I tried to conceal my disappointment.

The first offer on the table is from San Ramón in Costa Rica. A second-division club, far from the glamour and limelight that I’d dreamed of. They’re a smaller outfit, one that’s struggling to punch above its weight in the Costa Rican league structure. It’s a modest club in every sense—limited resources, a small fanbase, and a tight budget. They’re offering me £190 a week, which is a decent jump from what I’ve been earning here in Vanuatu, but not exactly life-changing money. The transfer budget is slim, the wage budget even slimmer, and the prospect of making a mark there seems like a challenge, to say the least.

spacer.png

Yet, there’s something intriguing about the idea of managing in Costa Rica. The country is beautiful, a far cry from the dusty pitches and unpredictable weather of Vanuatu. There’s potential to grow, to take a small club and build it into something more. It’s the kind of project that requires patience, vision, and an understanding that success won’t come overnight. But is that what I want right now? After tasting success in the Champions League, am I ready to start all over again from the bottom?

The second offer, on the other hand, comes from Al Rabta in Sudan. Now, this one is different—a club fighting against relegation in the Sudanese Premier League. The financials are tempting, to say the least. They’re offering £240 a week, a significant pay rise, along with a transfer budget of £2.45 million and a wage budget of £6.75k per week. That kind of money could bring in real quality, the kind of players who can change the course of a season. It’s a club with history, a passionate fanbase, and the resources to back a serious push for survival and beyond.

But Sudan… the very thought brings feelings of trepidation. The idea of managing in Africa has always fascinated me, but Sudan is a country with its own set of challenges. The political situation, the cultural differences - it’s not for the faint-hearted. Yet, the opportunity to make a real impact, to save a club from the drop and rebuild it into a contender, is an alluring prospect. The financial backing they’re offering means I wouldn’t be going in with my hands tied behind my back. I could actually build something there, something substantial. But at what cost? After a quick search online to find details of the club, all I could turn up was a grainy satellite photo of their stadium - it didn't exactly fill me full of confidence and I had to question whether the reported transfer budget was real?

spacer.png

Sophie could sense my hesitation as we talked. She knows me well enough now to understand that these aren’t the offers I was hoping for, but she’s also realistic. “Jonah,” she said, her voice carrying that mix of empathy and pragmatism she’s known for, “I know these aren’t your dream jobs, but they’re solid opportunities. You’ve proven yourself in Vanuatu, but it’s a small pond. Moving abroad is the next step, and sometimes you have to take what’s available to get your foot in the door.”

As I sit here on Christmas Eve, the decision looms over me like a dark cloud. For now, I’m going to take a deep breath, pour myself a glass of something strong, and try to enjoy the holidays. The decision can wait a little longer. But not too long—come New Year’s, I’ll have to make the call.

Monday, 1st January 2028 - Season 7 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The New Year has come and gone, and with it, the pressure to make a decision about my future has reached its peak. After countless sleepless nights and endless hours weighing my options, I’ve finally made up my mind. I won’t be taking the job in Costa Rica or Sudan. Neither felt right, and the more I thought about it, the clearer it became that I needed to be true to myself and what I want out of this journey. But that clarity has come with a price.

This morning, I sat down with Frazer Wanemut, Ifira BB’s chairman, for a conversation I needed to have. Frazer’s been a good man, a solid support since he took over as chairman. And today, I had to tell him something that I knew he wouldn’t want to hear.

We met in his modest office at the stadium, the walls still adorned with the memorabilia from our Champions League triumph—photos of the team celebrating, a framed copy of the Vanuatu Times front page, and of course, the cup itself, gleaming proudly on a shelf. Frazer was in good spirits when I arrived, a smile spreading across his face as he offered me a seat. But as soon as I started to speak, the smile faded, replaced by a serious, almost wary look.

“Frazer,” I began, trying to keep my voice steady, “I’ve given this a lot of thought. You know I love this club, and I’ll always be grateful for everything we’ve achieved together. But I’ve decided not to sign the new contract.”

Frazer’s eyebrows knitted together, and I could see the disappointment in his eyes. “Jonah,” he said slowly, choosing his words carefully, “I was really hoping you’d stay on. You’ve taken this club to heights we never imagined. The fans adore you, and so do the players. Why not stay and continue what we’ve built here?”

I took a deep breath, knowing this part would be the hardest. “It’s not that I don’t want to stay, Frazer. It’s that I need something more, something different. After winning the OFC Champions League, I feel like I’ve taken Ifira as far as I can. The truth is, I need a new challenge, a new chapter. But I’m not ready to jump into something I’m not sure about, either. So here’s what I’m proposing—I’ll stay on, but only on a month-by-month basis until the end of this Champions League campaign. After that, I’m leaving, regardless of whether there’s a job lined up for me or not.”

The silence that followed was thick with tension. Frazer leaned back in his chair, processing my words, his fingers drumming lightly on the desk. I could see the wheels turning in his head, the conflicting emotions of a man who understands my decision but wishes it were different.

“Jonah,” he finally said, his voice softer now, “I can’t say I’m not disappointed. You’ve been more than just a coach here; you’ve been a leader, a mentor, a friend. But I get it. Everyone has their own path, and if this is what you need to do, I won’t stand in your way. Month by month it is. But promise me this—give it everything you’ve got until the end. Let’s go out on a high, for the club, for the fans, for everyone who’s been on this journey with us.”

I nodded, feeling a mix of relief and sadness. “You have my word, Frazer. I’m not going to coast through these next few months. I want to win that Champions League again. I want to leave knowing I gave it my all right until the last whistle.”

But I knew I couldn’t leave it there. I owed Frazer the whole truth.

“There’s one more thing,” I added, my tone growing more serious. “If an offer comes in during this period that’s too good to turn down, I’ll have to leave immediately. I can’t ignore opportunities that might align with my future goals.”

Frazer’s expression tightened, and I could see the concern etched in his face. He sighed heavily, leaning back in his chair again, the weight of my words settling in.

“I understand, Jonah,” he said, after a long pause. “You’ve earned the right to make the best decision for yourself, even if it means leaving us earlier than planned. Just… let’s make sure we’re prepared for that possibility. We’ll keep things running smoothly, no matter what happens.”

I nodded, appreciating his understanding. “Thank you, Frazer. I don’t want to leave you in a tough spot, but I have to be honest about where I’m at.”

We sat in silence for a moment, the weight of the conversation hanging in the air. Frazer eventually broke it with a sigh, standing up and extending his hand. “Well then, here’s to one last push.”

I shook his hand, firm and resolute. “One last push.”

As I walked out of the office, the realization of what I’d just committed to started to sink in. This would be my final chapter with Ifira BB, a club that had become my home, my family. The end of an era was in sight, and while the future still felt uncertain, for the first time in a long while, I was at peace with my decision.

Tuesday, 9th January 2028 - Season 7 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

This morning, I had arranged to meet again with Sophie Carter to plot out my next steps. After my meeting with Frazer, it was time to start seriously plotting out what would happen after the Champions League campaign concluded. The reality of what lies ahead is finally sinking in, and it’s both exhilarating and terrifying. But if there’s anyone who can help guide me through this maze, it’s Sophie.

I was surprised when Sophie told me she’d fly over from New Zealand just to have this conversation face-to-face. She didn’t have to, but it shows the kind of professional—and person—she is. There was something about the idea of her making the trip just for me that made our meeting feel more significant, more personal.

We met at a little café not far from the stadium. The place was quiet, with only a few patrons sipping their morning coffee—the perfect setting for the conversation I needed to have. When Sophie walked in, I noticed her immediately. She was wearing a light, tailored blazer over a simple blouse, both of which complemented her figure without being flashy. Her brunette hair, which she usually kept in a tidy bun, was down today, cascading over her shoulders in soft waves. It gave her a more relaxed, almost playful look that I found myself appreciating more than I should.

“Morning, Jonah,” she greeted, sliding into the chair opposite me. Her smile was warm, with just the right amount of teasing to put me at ease. “You look like a man who’s made a big decision.”

I couldn’t help but smile back, feeling a little flustered by the way her eyes sparkled when she spoke. “I have. And you flew all the way over here just to hear it in person?”

She shrugged, a teasing glint in her eye. “Maybe I just missed the Vanuatu sunshine. Or maybe I wanted to see how serious you really are about this next step.”

I chuckled, feeling a bit of heat rise to my cheeks. “Well, I’m glad you’re here. I’m not staying on at Ifira BB after the Champions League. I’ll be on a month-to-month contract until then, but after that, I’m done.”

Sophie raised an eyebrow, though she didn’t look surprised. “So, what’s the plan?”

“That’s where I need your help,” I admitted, taking a sip of my coffee to steady myself. “I’m ready to move on, but I’m not sure where to start. I spoke to Frazer yesterday, and I made it clear that if something big comes up in the meantime, I’ll take it. But I need to start thinking about what comes next.”

Sophie leaned back in her chair, her eyes never leaving mine. “Well I’ll be honest, Jonah — New Zealand might not be your best bet anymore. Western Suburbs aren’t interested, and after the way things played out, other clubs there might be hesitant too. It’s a small market, and word gets around fast.”

I sighed, half-expecting this, but still feeling a pang of disappointment. New Zealand had seemed like a perfect stepping stone, but now it was clear that door was closing. “I figured as much,” I said, shaking my head slightly. “So what are we looking at then?”

Sophie’s eyes narrowed as she considered the possibilities. “I think your best options are in Central or North America. The leagues there are growing, and they’re looking for managers who can bring fresh ideas and international experience. Mexico, Costa Rica—places like that could be a good fit. I know you turned down the role at San Ramon but there’s a lot of talent in those regions, and they have the financial backing to support serious challenges for domestic titles.”

“I'm not adverse to Costa Rica, it just wasn't the right club for me and Mexico could be interesting,” I mused. “And the level of competition there would be a step up.”

Sophie nodded, leaning forward a bit. “Exactly. And then there’s Africa. But this time, somewhere more politically stable than Sudan. North African clubs, for instance—Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt. Those leagues are competitive, and the top clubs have serious resources. Plus, they’re always looking for ways to stand out in the CAF Champions League.”

I leaned forward too, feeling the connection between us as we got lost in the possibilities. “Somewhere with a good setup for youth development, too. I’m not just looking to take over a team—I want to build something. A club that’s got the resources but also the infrastructure to develop young talent. That’s where my strength lies, and that’s what I’m passionate about.”

Sophie smiled, her eyes twinkling. “That narrows it down. We need to find a club that has the financial muscle to compete but also values its youth setup. They’re out there, Jonah. It’s just about finding the right fit. I’ll start putting feelers out, see what’s available in those regions. We’ll need to be patient, though—these things take time.”

“I’m in no rush,” I replied, our knees brushing under the table. “But I don’t want to end up in just any job. It has to be the right one. I want to make sure my next move is the one that takes my career to the next level. If that means waiting until the right offer comes along, then so be it.”

Sophie nodded, her expression thoughtful. “Understood. I’ll keep you updated on any potential openings. In the meantime, focus on finishing strong with Ifira. A second Champions League title will only increase your stock, and who knows—maybe that’ll be the final push you need to get the right offer.”

I grinned, unable to resist the opportunity to tease her. “I remember you telling me I was mad to think I could win one Champions League. And now here we are, talking about winning a second. Care to revise your assessment?”

Sophie laughed. “I might have underestimated you. But I’ll never doubt you again, Jonah. You’ve proven you can do the impossible.”

As our laughter faded, a thought crossed my mind, and I decided to seize the moment. “So, Sophie,” I began, trying to keep my tone light but serious enough to catch her attention, “is this official then?”

She tilted her head, looking slightly puzzled. “Official? What do you mean?”

I leaned back, a playful smile spreading across my face. “I mean, are you officially my football agent now, or are you just helping out a friend?”

Sophie blinked, clearly caught off guard by the question. Then, a slow smile crept onto her face, and she gave me a look that was both amused and a little bit sly. “Well, Jonah, I suppose that depends. Are you asking me to be your agent, or is this just another way to keep me around?”

I laughed, feeling a mix of relief and something else I couldn’t quite put my finger on. “I think it’s time to make it official. I could use someone like you in my corner—someone who’s not afraid to tell me when I’m being an idiot, but also someone who can help me navigate the next steps in my career.”

Sophie’s smile widened, and she extended her hand across the table. “In that case, consider it official. I’ll be your agent, Jonah. Let’s make sure your next move is the best one yet.”

We shook hands, sealing the deal, but the warmth in her eyes and the lingering touch of her hand made me wonder if we’d just crossed another line as well.

Posted (edited)

Monday, 15th January 2028 - Season 7 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

Today, I gathered my backroom team for a crucial meeting. With our OFC Champions League title to defend and some big decisions ahead, this session felt more important than ever. Even though I've made up my mind about moving on after this campaign, I kept that to myself. We need focus, not distractions.

The meeting started with John Avoick, my trusted assistant manager, leading the discussion. He kicked things off with a comprehensive review of our team’s overall performance. As he spoke, the room filled with a mix of pride and caution—we’ve made significant strides, but there are areas that need attention.

spacer.png

“First, let’s talk about the attack,” John began, scanning the data in front of him. “Our expected goals (xG) has increased from 2.48 to 3.09 per game. That’s a huge leap forward. Goals per game are up as well, from 2.56 to 3.04. This shows that we’re not only creating more chances but finishing them better too.”

The room buzzed with approval. Offensively, we’ve been exceptional, and this was the proof.

“Our pass completion rate has also improved slightly,” John continued, “from 89.2% to 89.4%. It might seem minor, but in tight games, those small margins matter. Cross completion has gone up from 31.39% to 33.95%, which is a good sign that our wide players are delivering more quality balls into the box.”

He paused to let the numbers sink in before moving on. “Dribbles per game have nearly doubled, from 5.75 to 11.12. This shows how much more direct and aggressive our play has become, especially in breaking down defenses. Shots on target have increased from 40.68% to 41.86%, and total shots per game are up from 20.12 to 26.88. We’re clearly getting better at creating and converting opportunities.”

As John spoke, I couldn’t help but feel a surge of pride. These stats reflect the hard work we’ve put in, and it’s gratifying to see it pay off on the pitch.

spacer.png

“But,” John said, his tone shifting slightly, “our defensive performance has taken a bit of a hit. Goals conceded per game have risen from 0.48 to 1.12. That’s a concern, especially when we’re facing tougher opponents in the Champions League. Also, our tackles won percentage has dropped from 87.5% to 83.66%. We need to tighten up at the back if we want to stay on top.”

The room fell silent for a moment as everyone absorbed the implications. We’ve been scoring more, but at the cost of our defensive solidity. It’s a balance we’ll need to address moving forward.

spacer.png

Next, we delved into individual player performances, starting with the standout contributors. “Vale Ratutui was outstanding on the right wing. With 18 goals and 12 assists, he’s been crucial to our success. His xG of 17.58 shows he’s performing at the level we need, and his dribbling stats—4.33 per game—make him a constant threat. His 60% shot accuracy is impressive, but we need to work on his discipline. Three yellow cards could have been avoided.”

I nodded in agreement, acknowledging Vale’s contributions but also noting that we need to ensure he keeps his cool in key moments.

Then we moved on to Henry Taiwia, the young striker who had shown flashes of brilliance in the few games since stepping up from the youth set-up. “Henry’s stats are promising,” John continued. “He scored four goals in just four starts and one substitute appearance, with an xG of 2.26. His shot accuracy is lower than we’d like at 35%, but for someone so young, he’s got time to improve.”

At this point, Nicko Taiwia, our Head of Youth Development, chimed in. “Henry’s one of the brightest prospects we’ve seen come through our youth setup in years,” Nicko said, a mix of pride and concern in his voice. “But he lacks ambition. I’m worried he might not push himself to reach his full potential unless we find a way to light that fire in him.”

I appreciated Nicko’s honesty. It’s one thing to have talent, but without the drive to match, that talent could go to waste.

The discussion then turned to our midfield. “Julian Shem was solid,” John said. “He’s contributed four goals and ten assists, with a pass completion rate of 88%. His defensive work is also commendable, with 0.78 tackles per game. But those injuries are something we need to manage carefully. We can’t afford to lose him at crucial moments.”

Moving to the defense, John praised Jonathan Spokeyjack’s contributions. “Jonathan had a remarkable season at left-back. Scoring 14 goals with an xG of 14.09 is outstanding for a defender. His defensive stats are just as impressive, with 1.50 tackles per game and a 71% shot accuracy. He’s a key player for us.”

Before I could respond, Michael Damelip, our director of football, interjected with a somber update. “Despite my best efforts, I haven’t been able to get Jonathan to sign a new contract. He’s made it clear that he wants to leave the club in search of new challenges.”

The room fell silent for a moment. Jonathan’s departure would be a significant loss, but I respected his decision. We all knew this day would come eventually; it’s just part of football.

As we transitioned into discussing potential new signings, Michael’s expression brightened. “I’ve got some big news,” he said, a hint of excitement in his voice. “Charles Ollie, who left us two seasons ago to join Western Suburbs, hasn’t had his contract renewed. I’ve persuaded him to return home to us. It’s a huge boost for the squad.”

The room buzzed with excitement. Charles was a fan favorite, and his return would lift the spirits of both the team and the supporters.

spacer.png

“But that’s not all,” Michael continued. “I’ve also secured the signing of a bright young talent, Benjamin Kere. He’s a central midfielder who’s just left Erakor GS. I had to promise him a star role in the team, but I believe he’s worth it.”

I nodded, already thinking about how Benjamin could slot into our midfield. His potential was well-known, and I was eager to see how he would develop under our guidance.

However, the mood shifted when Michael shared some less fortunate news. “We’ve had to let go of Joseph Tommy, our left winger. He’s been unhappy with his lack of game time, and after some discussions, we’ve mutually agreed that it’s best for him to leave.”

As the conversation turned to the defense, Michael dropped a bombshell. “Wellington Olympic has been sniffing around our defenders, particularly Nico Lopes and Christopher Tommy. Unfortunately, we’ve had to part ways with Christopher. Wellington offered us £20k, and with Christopher eager to move on, we agreed to the deal.”

spacer.png

spacer.png

The room was heavy with the news. Christopher was a solid defender, and his departure would leave a gap in our backline.

“But as for Nico,” Michael continued, “Wellington hasn’t followed through with an offer. Now he’s left feeling disgruntled, thinking he was on the verge of a big move.”

This news wasn’t easy to digest. Nico had been an essential part of our defensive unit, and his current state of mind could affect his performance. We’ll need to manage his situation carefully, keeping him motivated and focused on the task at hand.

As the meeting wrapped up, I felt a mix of emotions. On one hand, there was excitement about the new signings and the challenges ahead. On the other, there was a lingering sadness about the players we were set to lose. But this is the nature of the game—constant change, constant evolution.

spacer.png

With the decisions made and plans in motion, I knew that despite everything, we were still on the right path. The team might look different by the time the new season kicks off, but our goals remain the same. We have a title to defend, and I’m determined to leave Ifira BB as a champion once more.

Edited by chile_paul

Sunday, 30th April 2028 - Season 7 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The OFC Champions League has become our stage, and this year's campaign is all about retaining the title we worked so hard to win last season. The taste of victory is fresh, and the hunger to keep that trophy in Vanuatu is even greater. Drawn against familiar foes—Labasa of Fiji, AS Dragon from Tahiti, and Tiga Sport from New Caledonia—the mission was clear: to dominate from start to finish and make a statement that last year was no fluke.

spacer.png

Our journey began with a hard-fought but satisfying 2-0 win over Labasa. The memory of them knocking us out in the semi-finals two years ago still lingered, but this time, we were the reigning champions, and we played like it. That first victory set the tone and eased the nerves. We weren’t here to make up the numbers; we were here to defend our crown.

The second match against AS Dragon, however, was a different story. They proved to be a stubborn opponent, holding us to a frustrating 0-0 draw. It was a cagey affair with few chances, but we took solace in knowing that we were still on course to top the group.

From there, we hit our stride. A comfortable 3-0 victory over Tiga Sport showcased our attacking strength, and the return fixture against Labasa saw us secure another solid 2-0 win. By the time we faced AS Dragon again, the team was firing on all cylinders. The result? A spectacular 6-2 win, with goals flying in from all directions. The final group match, with top spot already secured, saw a second-string side demolish Tiga Sport 5-0. We finished the group stage comfortably on top, with AS Dragon trailing in second place. Labasa, to my satisfaction, finished third and crashed out of the competition.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As the group stage wrapped up, the usual suspects emerged. Both New Zealand sides—Wellington Olympic and Eastern Suburbs—topped their groups as expected. Our fellow Vanuatuan team, ABM Galaxy, managed to finish second in Wellington's group, which meant we were set to face them in the quarter-final.

Heading into the quarter-final, we were brimming with confidence. Our record against ABM Galaxy is stellar—12 wins out of 15 since I took charge, including 8 consecutive victories. We’d also faced them in the league just before the quarter-final, securing a comfortable 3-1 win. We knew we had the upper hand, but we couldn’t afford to be complacent.

The quarter-final played out as expected. Jayson Tari got us off to a perfect start with a goal in the 4th minute, settling any lingering nerves. When Mariusz Leszczyński doubled our lead in the 25th minute, the game felt all but over. Benjamin Kere, quickly proving to be a key addition, sealed the win with a goal in the 64th minute. A 3-0 victory sent us through to the semi-finals, where we’ll face Wellington Olympic in what promises to be a fierce battle. On the other side of the draw, Eastern Suburbs will take on Lautoka, who have been unstoppable so far, winning all six of their group stage matches.

While the Champions League has captured much of our attention, our domestic campaign in the Port Vila Premier League has started flawlessly. We’ve won every single game so far, putting us in a commanding position early on. The opening match of the season against Tafea was a reminder that nothing can be taken for granted, though. After racing to a 4-0 lead at halftime, we almost let it slip, with Tafea clawing their way back to 4-3 before we managed to shut up shop. It was a scare, but we held on, and since then, we’ve been relentless. With 15 points from 5 games, we already have a comfortable lead over the chasing pack, who have played more games than us and are struggling to keep up.

spacer.png

Sunday, 21st May 2028 - Season 7 - Vanuatu - Ifira BB

The end is here. I’ve known it for a while, but now it feels real, tangible, like something I can reach out and touch. These past few weeks have been hectic, not just because of the games, but because of the knowledge that my time at Ifira BB, and in Vanuatu, is drawing to a close. The football has been intense, but in the quiet moments, my mind has been elsewhere—packing boxes, planning my exit, and saying silent goodbyes.

I’ve talked to my parents about it, of course. They know everything. They’ve always been my sounding board, offering advice but never pushing too hard. They know that I’ve outgrown this place in some ways and that it’s time for a new adventure. My friends, though, they don’t know. I’ve kept it from them, not because I don’t trust them, but because I’m not ready for those goodbyes just yet. It’s easier to keep the plans to myself, to let things play out naturally without the weight of their expectations or sadness.

Packing up the house has been strange. Every item I wrap and box up feels like closing a chapter. I’m not even sure where I’m going next—there’s no clear plan, no set destination. Just a vague sense that I need to move on, to find something new. I’ve shipped most of my belongings into storage, a temporary holding place until I figure out my next step. It’s unsettling, this sense of floating in the unknown, but it’s also exciting. The adventure is out there, waiting for me, even if I don’t know what it is yet.

But before that adventure begins, there’s still the matter of this Champions League campaign. Last year, we fought tooth and nail to win it, and I knew that defending the title would be even harder. The semi-final against Wellington Olympic loomed large, just as it did last season when we drew 1-1 in the first leg. That result had kept the tie on a knife-edge, allowing us to go to New Zealand with everything to play for. This time, though, I couldn’t shake the feeling that things were different. There was a sense of finality in the air, like this might be the last big push before the end.

Wellington Olympic, of course, had a familiar face in their ranks—Christopher Tommy, our old centre-back, now lining up against us. It was strange seeing him on the other side, knowing how much he meant to our team not so long ago. The game itself was a cagey affair, with both sides cautious, probing for weaknesses but not wanting to give anything away.

In the 24th minute, Wellington made the first breakthrough. Adama Coulibaly, their attacking midfielder, found a perfect pass that sliced through our defense. Jesse Randall, playing as an inside forward on the left, got away from Nico Lopes and coolly stroked the ball past Massing Kalotang. It was a well-worked goal, and though it stung, I didn’t panic. After all, we’d been in this position before. Last year, we’d fallen behind and managed to fight back. At halftime, I told the boys to keep their heads up, to believe in themselves. We had the quality to turn this around, but we had to stay in the game, not let it slip away.

That resolve was tested just ten minutes into the second half. Coulibaly again was the architect, but this time he didn’t need a teammate to finish the job. Finding space on the right side of the penalty area, he produced a moment of magic, curling a shot with the outside of his right boot that swerved deliciously into the top left-hand corner. The stadium fell silent, except for the cheers of the Wellington fans. It was a hammer blow, and from that point on, we were chasing the game.

We pushed forward, trying to find a way back, but Scott Basalaj in the Wellington goal was equal to everything we threw at him. In the 87th minute, Vale Ratutui finally found the net, giving us a glimmer of hope, only for VAR to cruelly intervene and rule it out for offside. It felt like the final nail in the coffin. The 2-0 defeat left us with an uphill battle for the second leg, one that even I knew would be nearly impossible to overcome.

spacer.png

With the second leg looming, I began making plans. The house was mostly packed up, and I arranged for my most important belongings to go into storage. If we lost in New Zealand, I’d stay there for a while, maybe even begin looking for my next job. Sophie had promised to help me find something, so there was no point in returning to Vanuatu with the team. But if we somehow pulled off a miracle, I’d stay in New Zealand to prepare for the final. Either way, my time with Ifira was drawing to a close.

The second leg was one of those games where you hope for a miracle, but deep down, you know the odds are against you. Any lingering hopes we had were dashed in the 11th minute when they scored from a corner. Julio Mahua, who I’d selected in goal ahead of Kalotang, made a brilliant initial save, clawing the ball away from the line. But his effort was in vain as Patrick Williams scrambled the rebound into the net. It was a blow that left us reeling, but the team didn’t give up. They fought on with a determination that made me proud, even as the reality of our situation set in.

Just before halftime, Mariusz Leszczyński gave us a lifeline with a stunning long-range effort that dipped and swerved into the net. It was a goal worthy of the occasion, and it gave us a flicker of hope. In the second half, we pushed even harder, and for a while, we were the better side. But as the minutes ticked away, it became clear that our adventure was coming to an end. The task was simply too great, and when the final whistle blew, the scoreboard read 1-1 on the night, 1-3 on aggregate.

spacer.png

As I stood on the pitch, watching the Wellington players celebrate, I felt a strange mix of emotions. There was disappointment, of course, but also a deep sense of satisfaction. We had fought valiantly, and while we came up short, we did so with our heads held high. My time with Ifira Black Bird was over, but I knew I was leaving on my terms, having given everything I had to this club and this island.

Monday, 22nd May 2028 - Season 7 - Unemployed

The morning after a loss like that is always the hardest. The adrenaline has faded, and all that’s left is a hollow sense of finality. I knew today would be tough, not just because we were out of the Champions League, but because it was time to face the reality I’d been avoiding for weeks—saying goodbye.

We gathered in the hotel’s small conference room before heading to the airport. The players trickled in, bleary-eyed and somber, their suitcases trailing behind them. The mood was heavy, a mixture of fatigue and disappointment, but also a quiet resignation. The run was over, and there was no more football to play. I took a deep breath as I walked in, feeling the weight of what was about to happen.

I stood at the front of the room, looking out at the faces of my team—the players I’d guided through highs and lows, victories and defeats. The backroom staff were there too, the unsung heroes who kept everything running smoothly behind the scenes. There was a silence that filled the room, broken only by the occasional cough or rustle of paper. I could see that they were waiting for me to speak, to give them direction, to tell them what happens next.

Clearing my throat, I began. “I want to start by saying how proud I am of each and every one of you,” I said, my voice steady despite the emotions churning inside me. “Yesterday was tough, but you fought with everything you had. We came up short, yes, but that doesn’t take away from what we’ve achieved together. Winning the domestic league, dominating in the group stages of the Champions League—we’ve shown that Ifira Black Bird is a force to be reckoned with.”

The players nodded, some offering small smiles of appreciation. But they knew, as I did, that this was more than just a post-match pep talk.

“There’s something else I need to tell you,” I continued, my voice dropping slightly. “This journey we’ve been on, this incredible run, it’s come to an end for me too. I won’t be joining you on the flight home.”

There was a collective intake of breath, a few murmurs of surprise. The reality of my words began to sink in, and I could see the confusion and concern on their faces.

“Gaffer, what do you mean?” asked Jayson Tari, his brow furrowed.

I smiled gently at him. “It’s time for me to move on, Jayson. I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and last night, I knew it was the right decision. I’ve given everything I have to this club, and now it’s time for a new challenge; for both of us.”

The room fell into an uneasy silence. It was clear that they hadn’t expected this, not now, not like this. But I needed to give them some closure, to make sure they understood this wasn’t a decision I’d made lightly.

“You’re in good hands,” I reassured them, glancing at my assistant, Nicko, who gave me a nod of understanding. “Nicko, John, Michael and the rest of the staff will continue to guide you, and I have no doubt you’ll keep pushing forward. This club has a bright future, with or without me.”

There was a moment of silence, before Massing Kalotang, our goalkeeper and one of the team’s leaders, stood up. “Gaffer, it’s been an honor playing under you. You’ve taught us so much, not just about football, but about what it means to be a team. We’ll miss you.”

His words touched me deeply, and I could see the same sentiment echoed in the faces around the room. It was a bittersweet moment, knowing that I’d made an impact, but also that I was leaving it all behind.

“Thank you, Massing,” I said quietly. “I’ll miss you all too, more than you know. But this isn’t goodbye forever. We’ll cross paths again, I’m sure of it.”

With that, the meeting came to a close. There were no grand speeches, no emotional farewells—just a sense of mutual respect and understanding. The players and staff filed out, some stopping to shake my hand or offer a quick hug. I watched them go, feeling a strange mix of relief and sorrow.

After they left, I stayed in the empty room for a few moments, letting the quiet wash over me. It was done. The chapter was closed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Later that afternoon, I met with Sophie, and we decided to take a walk around Zealandia Eco-Sanctuary. The peaceful trails wound through dense native bush, with the sounds of birdsong all around us. As we strolled along, I recounted the morning’s events, my voice blending with the rustling leaves and distant calls of the wildlife. Sophie listened, her eyes reflecting the calm of our surroundings, nodding in that supportive, understanding way she always does.

“What’s next for you, Jonah?” she asked, her voice gentle but probing.

I shrugged, my gaze following the curve of the path as it disappeared into the trees. “I’m not sure yet. I’ve got the Airbnb sorted for a couple of weeks, and after that… who knows? I want to take some time, explore New Zealand a bit, and figure out what the next step is. I’m not in a rush.”

She smiled, pausing for a moment to take in the view of the sanctuary’s tranquil lake. Then, she reached out, gently squeezing my hand. “That sounds like a good plan. You’ve earned it.”

As we continued our walk, our conversation drifted to lighter topics. For a brief moment, I allowed myself to relax, to enjoy the simplicity of a quiet afternoon with someone who understands me completely.

My next meeting was with Christopher Tommy. We met at a bar in the city, a neutral ground where we could talk without the weight of the past few weeks hanging over us.

Christopher arrived looking a little uncertain, perhaps unsure of how I would react after yesterday’s game. But I greeted him warmly, offering a handshake and a smile. We found a quiet corner and ordered drinks, and for a while, we just talked—about the game, about his move to Wellington, about how he was settling in.

“You played well yesterday,” I told him, meaning it. “It was strange seeing you on the other side, but I’m glad you’re doing well here.”

He nodded, looking a little relieved. “Thanks, Jonah. It wasn’t easy leaving Ifira, but I felt like I needed a new challenge, you know?”

“I get it,” I said, taking a sip of my drink. “We all need to move on at some point. But no hard feelings, Christopher. You did what you had to do, and I respect that.”

We talked a bit more, but the conversation eventually came to a natural end. We parted on good terms, and as I walked away, I felt a sense of closure. The last loose end had been tied up, and now, it was time to focus on what comes next.

By evening, I had moved into the Airbnb I’d booked—a small, cozy place on the outskirts of the city. It wasn’t much, but it was enough for now. The quiet, the solitude, it was exactly what I needed to clear my head and start thinking about the future.

As I unpacked my few belongings, I found myself reflecting on everything that had happened over the past few days. The emotions were still raw, but there was also a sense of peace. This was a new beginning, and for the first time in a long while, I felt ready to embrace it.

New Zealand is a beautiful country, and I’m looking forward to exploring it, to getting lost in its landscapes and finding a sense of direction again. There’s no rush—whatever comes next, I know I’ll be ready.

But for now, I’m just going to take it one day at a time.

June 21st, 2028 - Season 7 - Unemployed

Five weeks of downtime sounded like a dream when I first arrived in Wellington, but now, after endless walks and idle afternoons, I’m starting to feel the itch. The initial relief of having a break from the relentless grind of football has worn off, and I’m left with a growing sense of frustration. I came here hoping to clear my head and figure out the next step, but instead, I’ve found myself staring at the same four walls of my Airbnb, with no real direction.

That all changed today.

Sophie and I decided to take a walk through the Wellington Botanic Garden, a place that, despite the winter chill, has a certain calming effect. The paths wound through beautiful native plants and towering trees, with the city’s noise fading into the background as we moved deeper into the garden. It was peaceful, but my mind was anything but.

We hadn’t been walking long before Sophie turned to me, her expression serious yet hopeful. “Jonah, I’ve got some news for you.”

I raised an eyebrow, curious. “What is it?”

She hesitated for a moment, then took a deep breath. “I’ve come across a job opportunity that I think you should seriously consider. It’s a managerial role… with Atlético Choloma.”

spacer.png

I stopped in my tracks, the name unfamiliar. “Where’s that?”

Sophie smiled, always patient with my lack of geography knowledge. “It’s in Honduras, in Central America. Not too far from Costa Rica, actually—you know, the place you almost ended up a few years back. It’s a great location in footballing terms, close to Mexico and the USA. You’d be right in the middle of some serious footballing action.”

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I frowned, trying to piece it together. “Honduras? I’ve never really thought about going there.”

Sophie nodded, understanding my hesitation. “I know it’s not somewhere you’ve considered, but hear me out. They’ve just been promoted to the top flight, Liga Betcris de Honduras. They’re a young club, no major trophies, but they’re ambitious. And they’re offering £1,100 a week.”

I blinked, the figure hitting me like a gust of wind. “£1,100 a week?” That was more than four times what I’d been making at Ifira BB.

She continued, her voice steady. “I know it’s a big move, but it’s also a big opportunity. They’ve got a small transfer budget of £25,000 and a wage budget of £18,000. It’s not much, but it’s a chance to build something from the ground up.”

I started walking again, the gravel crunching underfoot as I processed what she was saying. I’d been complaining about the lack of opportunities, about how bored I was getting. This was exactly the kind of challenge I’d been waiting for, but Honduras? It felt like a world away from everything I knew.

“They play at Estadio Rubén Deras,” Sophie added, trying to fill in the gaps. “It’s a modest stadium, just 1,000 capacity, but it’s a start. The club’s nickname is ‘Cholomenos,’ and they’ve got a decent setup with an adequate academy and youth recruitment. They might not have a big history, but that just means there’s room for you to make one.”

spacer.png

I stopped at a lookout point, gazing down at the city below. The wind was picking up, a reminder that winter was in full swing, but the idea of a new challenge was warming me from the inside.

“What do you think?” Sophie asked, her tone gentle but probing.

I shrugged, still uncertain. “It’s a lot to take in. I mean, it’s Honduras. I’ve never been there and don't know anything about it. But… £1,100 a week? That’s not something I can just ignore. And I’ve been going crazy with nothing to do.”

Sophie nodded, a small smile playing on her lips. We continued our walk in silence for a while, the sounds of the garden blending with the distant hum of the city. I couldn’t help but think about the opportunity in front of me. Honduras wasn’t on my radar, but maybe that was the point. Maybe I needed something completely out of the blue to shake things up.

By the time we reached the end of the trail, I’d made up my mind. “I’ll think about it,” I said, turning to Sophie. “But I have to admit, I’m leaning towards yes. I’ve been waiting for something like this, and it sounds like it could be exactly what I need.”

Sophie smiled, squeezing my hand. “I’m glad to hear that. I think it could be the start of something great.”

As we left the garden and headed back to the city, the frustration I’d been feeling started to melt away. There was a new sense of purpose building within me, a spark that I hadn’t felt in weeks. Maybe Honduras was exactly where I needed to be.

Edited by chile_paul

June 29th, 2028 - Season 8 - Honduras - Atletico Choloma

Today marks a new beginning. After weeks of uncertainty and frustration, I’ve finally touched down in Honduras to start my role with Atlético Choloma. It’s been quite a journey to get here, one that tested both my patience and my determination.

spacer.png

My travels began with a short flight to Auckland, followed by a marathon long-haul flight to San Francisco. From there, it was a domestic transfer to Houston, a final flight to the airport in Honduras and finally, a 43-minute drive to Choloma. I’m exhausted, but the sight of the Estadio Rubén Deras, the club’s modest home ground, brought a rush of reality. This is where my next chapter begins.

spacer.png

I met with Miguel Alvarez, the club president, who welcomed me warmly. Despite his efforts to ease my nerves, the culture shock was immediate. The heat was stifling, and the vibrant, bustling streets of Choloma were a stark contrast to the serene landscapes of New Zealand.

Miguel spoke in slow, deliberate English, which was a relief, but when it came time to meet the players, I was on my own. No translator, no safety net. Just me, my limited Spanish, and a room full of expectant faces. The language barrier was daunting. I knew a few basic phrases but struggled to convey more complex ideas. 

spacer.png

The Atlético Choloma squad had just returned for pre-season training, and the pressure was on. Our first game of the Liga Betcris de Honduras starts on August 6th. There are ten teams in the league, and each team plays the others four times, totaling 36 games in the season. The bottom two teams face relegation, while the top three qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League.

Looking at the league’s recent history, it’s clear we’re starting as underdogs. Motagua won the competition last season, and Real España, although finishing fourth after a disappointing year, are perennial contenders, having dominated the league for the past six years. Olimpia, the most successful team in the league's history with 15 titles, struggled last season, barely avoiding relegation. We’re considered rank outsiders, with the bookies offering odds of 2000-1 for us to win the league.

spacer.png

I faced the players with my best attempt at Spanish, stumbling through my speech. I tried to express my excitement and determination, but it was a challenge. My words felt inadequate, and I saw confusion in their eyes. Despite my efforts, the gap in communication was glaring.

As I introduced myself and outlined my vision, I could sense the players' wariness. They’ve not had much success before, and here I was, a newcomer and a foreigner with a difficult task ahead. Atlético Choloma isn’t expected to make a significant impact, but I’m here to change that perception, however daunting that may seem.

With pre-season training underway, I need to hit the ground running. The team’s goals are clear—avoid relegation, and build a foundation for the future. It won’t be easy, but I’m ready to embrace the challenge.

This place is so different from what I’m used to, and the adjustment is going to be tough. The weather, the language, the culture—all of it feels overwhelming. 

The next six weeks before the league starts will be crucial for getting to know the players, the club, and the intricacies of Honduran football. My hope is to turn these first impressions into something more solid, something that will help us defy the odds.

Edited by chile_paul

• chile_paul changed the title to [FM22] Beyond the Waves: The Story of the Rise of a Vanuatun Coach - Hex-perimentation: One Challenge Fulfilled, Five Still Beckon

October 15th, 2028 - Season 8 - Honduras - Atletico Choloma

Three months in Honduras, and what a hectic period it's been! I’ve settled into life here more comfortably than I initially expected, though I’ll admit, the language barrier is still an ongoing comedy show. The weather has been hot, sticky, and relentless, but I’m getting used to it – it helps that the football has been heating up too.

Choloma’s a bustling place, and football is life here. The people are passionate, and that energy has been infectious. The club, Atlético Choloma, or "Cholomenos" as the fans like to call us, feels like it’s evolving by the day. We’re still seen as rank outsiders, but I think that suits us. No one expected us to do much this season, and that’s been the perfect motivation.

My staff have been invaluable in getting me up to speed. José Alvarado, the club’s Director of Football, is a man with a sharp footballing brain and a knack for spotting talent. He’s been a key ally, even if his approach to transfers is a bit more aggressive than I’m used to.

spacer.png

Then there’s my assistant, Gustavo Gallegos, who’s been my right-hand man. Gustavo is sharp, experienced, and he’s the glue keeping things together when my Spanish inevitably fails me. He’s also the perfect balance to José’s relentless pursuit of new players.

José, of course, was curious about football talent in Vanuatu, knowing I’d come from there. When he started quizzing me about potential signings, I was half-joking when I mentioned Bruno Leonardo, the young Brazilian midfielder from Ifira. I didn’t expect José to actually follow up on it, but I was delighted when the paperwork went through and Bruno made the move over here. He’s a raw talent, but the lad’s got heart, and seeing a familiar face from Ifira in training has been a bit surreal.

spacer.png

Less exciting was when José signed Dgen Leo, Ifira’s backup goalkeeper. Don’t get me wrong, Dgen’s a solid professional, but I couldn’t help but wonder if he’s really cut out for top-flight football in Honduras. When I raised my concerns, José just gave me one of his trademark smiles and told me to “trust the process.” I’m still waiting to see if that trust pays off.

spacer.png

Pre-season went surprisingly well, despite a few bumps along the way. We had a new star signing in José Andrés Pabón, a Colombian striker who came in as our top earner, but within days of arriving, he called in sick. Now, I know settling into a new country can be tough, but missing a key friendly? That didn’t sit well with me. A few choice words were exchanged, and Pabón got the message. He’s been back in training since, but his performances on the pitch have been underwhelming. 

spacer.png

Despite Pabón’s early mishaps, the team gelled well in pre-season, and the new tactics were embraced by the players. We even managed a credible 2-2 draw against Atlas, a Mexican top division side, which gave us a real boost heading into the season. I've adopted a cautious system focussed on possesion and slow build up with a 4-2-3-1 formation and it worked perfectly, and we looked solid.

spacer.png

When the season kicked off, I was bracing myself for a tough ride, especially with our first game against Real España, one of the big boys of Honduran football. But what a start it was. A 2-2 draw away to España gave us belief, and from there, we went on an incredible run of three straight wins, scoring seven goals and conceding none. The fans started believing, and I could feel a real shift in the team’s confidence.

spacer.png

We hit a small bump with back-to-back losses, a home defeat to Vida and a tough away loss to Juticalpa, but even those weren’t demoralizing. Both Vida and Juticalpa have had great starts, and the team didn’t crumble – we fought hard in both games, and I saw resilience in the players.

The league’s a long slog, 36 games, and playing each team four times is grueling, but after the first quarter of the season, we’re sitting in first place with 19 points. It’s surreal to see Cholomenos at the top of the table. Juticalpa is right behind us on 17, and they’ve been impressive too. It’s going to be a battle, but I’d never have predicted we’d be in this position so early on.

spacer.png

The squad’s had its highs and lows. Juan Pablo Carreño, our new 18-year-old Argentine goalkeeper, has been a revelation. He’s got maturity beyond his years, and his performances have been rock-solid. He’s still developing, but I’ve got high hopes for him – a true find.

At the other end of the spectrum, Pabón has been frustrating. With only one goal to his name, and so many missed chances, he’s not living up to his billing just yet. But I’m not ready to write him off quite yet – strikers need time to find their rhythm, and I’m hoping he’ll turn a corner soon.

Some of the older midfielders José brought in have been a pleasant surprise. I wasn’t sure what to expect from players in their mid-30s, but they’ve been instrumental in controlling games. We’re dominating possession, and our passing accuracy is one of the best in the league. It’s not the youthful dynamism I’m used to, but the experience is paying off.

To top it all off, the board’s been so pleased with our start that they’ve agreed to fund me to complete my Continental A coaching license. It’s a huge step for me, and I’m excited to push myself further in this crazy world of management.

spacer.png

The next few months are going to be pivotal. We’ve set the bar high, but keeping it there will be the real test. Choloma’s a small club in the grand scheme of things, but if we keep this momentum, who knows where we could end up?

January 1st, 2029 - Season 8 - Honduras - Atletic Choloma

The festive season this year came with a mix of emotions—moments of loneliness, self-reflection, and ultimately some much-needed warmth. It’s been tough being so far from home, but in a spontaneous moment, I invited Sophie to come spend Christmas with me here in Honduras. I hadn’t really planned much, but having her around made the holiday feel less isolating. She arrived just before Christmas, and though we didn’t do anything grand, it felt like exactly what I needed. We strolled around Puerto Cortés, had dinner at a little local place, and just... talked. About life, football, my struggles here, everything.

Her visit was a welcome reset, a chance to step back and breathe amid all the intensity of this first season. It’s easy to get lost in the football when you're so far from home, but having Sophie around made me remember why I’m here. It’s about chasing new challenges, stepping outside the familiar, even when it’s hard.

Football, though, hasn’t been as kind as Sophie’s visit. We went through a real sticky patch at the end of October and beginning of November. It started with a 1-1 draw against Real España. We were on the back foot for most of the game, but Bruno Leonardo came to the rescue with a dramatic 89th-minute goal to salvage a point. That wasn’t a bad result by any means—Real España are a strong side—but it felt like we’d just scraped by.

Then came the real frustrations. A 1-0 defeat to Real Sociedad was a hard pill to swallow. We’d been edging a tight contest, controlling the game for large spells, but in the 89th minute, disaster struck. We gave away a soft penalty, and they slotted it home to take all three points. It was gut-wrenching, especially since we didn’t deserve to lose.

The worst, though, was yet to come. Our game against league leaders Olimpia was an absolute drubbing. Marco Antonio Cruz put on a masterclass, tearing our defence apart with four goals in just 29 minutes. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a striker in such unstoppable form. We tried to fight back, and managed to pull two goals back, but it finished 5-2. It was a humbling experience and really showed the gulf between us and the top of the table. Olimpia are top for a reason, and that game underlined just how much work we have to do.

After that thrashing, I knew something had to change. I made some tactical adjustments, switching to a 4-2-3-1 formation with an emphasis on possession and short passing. It took some time for the players to adapt, but it paid off in a big way. Our defence really tightened up, and we went on to set a club and league record, going six games without conceding a goal with our goalkeeper, 18 year old Juan Pablo Carreño continuing to impress..

spacer.png

December brought us some much-needed festive cheer as we took 12 points from 4 games. The players rallied, and we started looking like the team I knew we could be. While our attacking play still needs work, especially with Pabón misfiring, our defensive solidity has been key to our recent success.

spacer.png

Despite the rough patch, we’re still in a strong position, sitting second in the league with 19 points, though Olimpia are now five points ahead. They’re looking unstoppable, but the season is far from over. The title may be slipping from our grasp, but I believe a top-three finish and continental football next season are well within reach. That would be a fantastic achievement in our first season at this level.

spacer.png

Looking ahead, the January transfer window is just about to open, and I’m counting on José Alvarado, our Director of Football, to bring in some attacking reinforcements. We need goals, plain and simple.

Our Head of Youth Development gave me an update recently on the players set to move up to the U18 team, and while there’s talent coming through, it’s mostly defensive midfielders and wide players. What we’re really lacking is a natural goalscorer. Hopefully, the transfer window will give us what we need.

spacer.png

There’s a long road ahead, and while the title may be a distant dream, securing a top-three finish would still be a huge success. For now, I’m focused on that and on keeping this momentum going. Here’s to hoping the new year brings more success on the pitch—and maybe a few more goals from Pabón!

March 4th, 2029  - Season 8 - Honduras - Atletic Choloma

It’s been a strange few months here in Honduras, and not just because of the ups and downs on the pitch.

First off, we’ve had some unexpected news from the Honduran FA: they’ve announced that the Copa Presidente will now only be a lower-league competition. That means no teams from Liga Betcris will be involved, which I have to admit, is a bit of a letdown. I was looking forward to giving the lads a good cup run, a chance to challenge for some silverware alongside the league. But now, we’re solely focused on the league campaign, which is all the more important as we push toward the end of the season.

As for our league form, it’s been a mixed bag. We kicked off the new year with a disappointing 2-0 loss to Real España, the team just below us in the standings. It was a frustrating game—one where we just couldn’t get a foothold, and Real España took full advantage. As frustration grew the players lost control and first Marco Carcamo and then Bruno Leonardo dived into reckless uncontrolled tackles that rightly saw both of them seeing red and an early bath. 

Thankfully we rebounded with a good win against Real Sociedad and a respectable 0-0 draw against league leaders Olimpia. We’ve been unbeaten since then, but the results have been far from ideal. We’ve had five draws and three wins, which keeps us ticking along, but it’s clear that if we were scoring more goals, some of those draws could’ve been turned into wins. That’s been our Achilles' heel—lack of cutting edge up front.

spacer.png

Still, going eight games unbeaten is a new team record, and for a club that’s only just been promoted, that resilience is something to be proud of. I remind myself that we’re exceeding expectations, but the frustration of missed opportunities is definitely there. It’s one thing to be hard to beat, but to take the next step, we need to start turning more of those draws into wins.

spacer.png

Unfortunately, the league title is out of our reach now. Olimpia have been unstoppable, and they’re 10 points clear with just nine games left. It would take a monumental collapse for them to be caught, and I don’t see that happening.

That said, we’re still in second place, but it’s tight. Real España are just three points behind, and with them being our next opponents, it’s going to be a crucial game. A loss would see us drop below them, which is something I desperately want to avoid. This fixture is the biggest of the season so far, no question.

spacer.png

Youth Prospects and Striker Troubles

On the brighter side of things, we’ve finally had an influx of youth players. After talking with our Head of Youth Development, Mario Flores, we’ve agreed that they all deserve contracts and should move into the U18 team, which was practically empty before this intake. José Pineda (YP8a) (a right-winger) and Clifford Aguilar (YP8b) (an attacking midfielder) look like the standouts. If they can live up to the hype, we might see them break into the first team soon.

spacer.png

But, as expected, we’re still lacking strikers. None of the new lads can play up top, which is frustrating because that’s exactly what we need right now—someone to bang in goals regularly. Our reliance on José Andrés Pabón, who’s still misfiring, isn’t doing us any favors. His form has been way below what we expected, and unless we can find a solution, it’s going to continue holding us back.

Perhaps the most worrying news came from José Alvarado, our Director of Football. He’s informed me that despite all of our efforts, Juan Pablo Carreño—our young star goalkeeper—has no intention of renewing his contract. He doesn’t think the squad matches his ambitions, and honestly, he’s probably right. The lad’s got serious potential to be a star, and I can see why he might want to test himself at a higher level.

spacer.png

Carreño’s contract has another year left, so the club faces a tough decision come summer: do we cash in on him and let him go, or do we hold on, knowing we might lose him for free a year later? It’s a real blow because he’s been fantastic for us and could be a key player in our future. But football is brutal like that. You’ve got to plan for the worst while hoping for the best.

As we head into the final stretch of the season, it’s all about maintaining our spot in the top three and securing continental football. That would be a huge achievement for our first season back in the top flight. The title’s out of reach, but if we can hold onto second or third place, it would still be a season to remember.

Edited by chile_paul