[FM22] Beyond the Waves: The Story of the Rise of a Vanuatun Coach - Hex-perimentation: One Challenge Fulfilled, Five Still Beckon

April 21st, 2029  - Season 8 - Honduras - Atletic Choloma

I’ve just about had it with José Andrés Pabón. I knew managing a football team would be challenging, but dealing with this clown has taken my patience to the absolute limit. His antics are completely out of control, and I’m done playing nice.

Two weeks ago, everything kicked off. We’re gearing up for an important run of games, and what happens? Pabón—our supposed star striker—doesn’t show up for training. At first, I think, "Okay, maybe there’s been a mix-up or some family emergency." But no, it turns out this joker was out all night, stumbling out of some dodgy nightclub, pictures splashed all over the local press. I should’ve seen it coming, honestly. I knew there were questions about his attitude, but I thought I could work with him. Big mistake.

spacer.png

I pulled him into my office the next day, and I didn’t hold back. Gave him a solid verbal lashing and fined him half a week’s wages—and trust me, I was being generous. But did he apologize? Admit he’d screwed up? Of course not. Instead, he had the audacity to look me in the eye and accuse me of treating him unfairly! This guy has barely put the ball in the back of the net all season, and he’s crying about being singled out? I should’ve thrown him out right then and there, but I tried to keep things professional. I told him this was his warning, and if he stepped out of line again, there’d be consequences.

spacer.png

Well, what do you know? A few days later, it happens again. Pabón skips training, and wouldn’t you believe it, more photos of him falling out of another nightclub. That was it—game over. I called him in again, but this time I didn’t even bother with the niceties. I fined him a full week’s wages and dropped him from the squad altogether.

I told him straight up: I’m done with you. And what does he do? He storms out like I’m the one in the wrong! I’ve had enough of this guy’s ego and attitude. I’ve worked my ass off to get this team into the top half of the table, and I’m not about to let some overpaid prima donna ruin everything we’ve built.

spacer.png

He’s officially on the transfer list now, and I’ve made it clear to him and his agent that I want him gone. I don’t care if he’s the most talented player in the world. If he’s not going to put in the work or respect the club, he can rot on the bench for all I care.

I’m furious. This was supposed to be the guy who would lead our attack, who we’d rely on for goals. Instead, he’s a liability. Every time I look at him now, I see the wasted potential and his complete lack of respect for the badge. It’s infuriating, especially because we’ve got four games to go in the season and we still have Real España breathing down our necks, and I’ve got to deal with this nonsense when I should be focusing on tactics and games.

The only silver lining in all this is the reaction from the rest of the squad. They’re all sick of his attitude too. When I announced he was dropped, you could practically feel the relief in the dressing room. It’s clear that Pabón’s been dragging everyone down with his nonsense, and now that he’s sidelined, I think the team will come together stronger. But make no mistake, I want him out of this club, and the sooner, the better.

Now I just need someone, anyone, to come in with an offer for him so I can wash my hands of this disaster. I’m done playing games with him. If he wants to party, he can do it somewhere else, but it won’t be here. The Cholomenos deserve better than this joke of a striker, and I’m not letting one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. Pabón’s days here are numbered, and good riddance.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May 13th, 2029 - Season 8 - Honduras - Atletico Choloma

The dust has settled on what has been an incredible first season here in Honduras. I’ve had a few days to reflect, and while my blood has cooled since the whole Pabón saga, I certainly haven’t forgotten it. If anything, it became a major turning point for the squad. But let me walk through how we wrapped things up.

The final nine games of the season were always going to be crucial and we started solidly. The draw against Real España wasn’t thrilling, but it was a crucial point that kept them at bay. With that, we held onto second place.

Next, we picked up a gritty 2-1 win over Real Sociedad, which was well-deserved. That was followed by an absolutely creditable draw against league leaders Olimpia. I have to give Pabón a bit of credit here—he scored the equalizer against Olimpia and kept us in the fight. It felt good to hold our own against the top team, and it showed how far we’ve come. 

But then we came up against Vida. I can’t ignore how much that game rattled us—four games against Vida this season, and we didn’t score a single goal. It’s maddening. They beat us 1-0, and to make matters worse, it was the very next day that the whole Pabon incident kicked off.

After dealing with Pabón, it felt like a weight was lifted off the squad. We went on to have three consecutive 2-0 victories, and the team was absolutely revitalized. It was as if the boys were determined to show they didn’t need his bad attitude holding them back. We were solid in defense, and the younger players, especially Jon Clark who was thrown into the spotlight up front, really stepped up to the challenge. It was a complete shift in morale and focus.

Those three wins were enough to secure second place and, with it, qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League. Honestly, finishing second in our first season back in the top flight and qualifying for continental competition is more than I could have asked for when I took this job. 

spacer.png

The only real sore point was the final game against Marathón. They were fighting for survival, and you could tell—they were scrappy, desperate, and we just couldn’t match that intensity. Losing 1-0 wasn’t how I wanted to end the season, but they were playing for their lives, and I think that desperation showed. They managed to stay up, so credit to them, even if it did leave a bitter taste for us.

spacer.png

In the grand scheme of things, this season has been a massive success. Second place, CONCACAF Champions League qualification, and a 12-game unbeaten run that set a new club record. That’s huge for a team that was considered rank outsiders at the start of the season. We’ve proven that Atlético Choloma isn’t just here to make up the numbers.

spacer.png

But now, we’ve got to look forward. The Pabón situation still needs resolving—I want him out, and the sooner, the better. We’re going to need reinforcements if we’re going to hold our own in the CONCACAF Champions League, and I’m trusting the board to back me in the transfer window.

It’s been a hell of a ride this season. We’ve shown resilience, especially after that sticky patch earlier in the year, and I’m proud of the team for pulling together when it mattered. But we can’t stop now. Next season is going to be even tougher, and I can’t wait to see what we can achieve.

Edited by chile_paul

May 31st, 2029 - Season 8 - Honduras - Atletico Choloma

Tonight was one of those strange, surreal moments that I’ll never forget. The Honduran FA’s end-of-season awards ceremony—the kind of glitzy event you see on TV, not the kind of thing I ever imagined I’d be a part of, especially so soon. To be honest, I felt like an outsider walking into that ballroom, but it turns out we weren’t just there to make up the numbers.

The event was held in the heart of Tegucigalpa—a fancy venue with chandeliers and all the trimmings. I was there with Raúl Martínez, Sergio Gatti, and Jorge Rosales, three of our most reliable defenders. They’ve been a huge part of our success this season, and I was glad they were with me for this. I threw on my best suit, and we all made our way through the crowd. It was clear most people in that room didn’t expect much from Choloma—we weren’t part of the usual Honduran football elite.

The night started with the usual speeches and montages of the best moments from the season. I spent half the time worrying about whether I’d have to stand up in front of these people and make a fool of myself if I won something. I needn’t have worried… but I still couldn’t believe what came next.

When the Mejor Entrenador award for Manager of the Year was announced, I wasn’t even thinking about myself. Jhon Jairo López, the manager of Olimpia, was the clear favorite—and rightfully so. His team had dominated the league and wrapped up the title weeks ago. But then, in a twist I hadn’t seen coming, I was called up for second place.

spacer.png

Second! I could barely process it. I’m standing there, in a room full of football heavyweights, getting applauded for guiding Choloma to second place in our debut season in the top flight. It was humbling, and as I looked out at the audience, I could see Raúl giving me a wide-eyed nod of respect. That felt pretty good.

Of course, López deservedly took home the top award, but to even be mentioned in the same breath as him after just one season here? That felt like a win in itself.

Now, the real shocker of the night came when they announced the nominees for El Talento de Honduras de la Temporada, the award for Best Young Player of the Season. I wasn’t even thinking about our players—Raúl Martínez is a quality right-back, but he’s been flying under the radar. So, when they called his name as the third-place finisher, I nearly spat out my drink.

spacer.png

Raúl was just as surprised as I was. He looked around, eyes wide, before sheepishly walking up to accept his award. It’s funny—he’s calm and composed on the pitch, but tonight he was all nerves. I clapped hard for him because, really, he deserves it. At 19, he’s had an outstanding season and is already showing the kind of maturity you don’t see in many players his age. It’s clear he’s on a path to something special.

Raúl wasn’t the flashy favorite, and no one saw this coming, but that makes it even better. I couldn’t have been prouder.

Now, the Team of the Year—the Once del Año de la LNFPH—was a little more predictable. This was Olimpia’s night to shine. Their players dominated the selections, as you’d expect. But what filled me with pride was hearing the names of Raúl Martínez, Sergio Gatti, and Jorge Rosales called out as part of the best XI in the league.

spacer.png

All three of them. Our defenders. These lads who’ve worked so hard and been the backbone of our success all season. To have them recognized alongside the best in the league felt like validation of the work we’ve done at Choloma.

I glanced at Sergio and Jorge when their names were called. They looked stunned, like they couldn’t quite believe it. They’re not the type to enjoy the spotlight—they’re happiest when they’re on the pitch, doing the gritty, unglamorous work of defending. But tonight, they got their moment. And boy, did they deserve it.

June 20th, 2029 - Season 8 - Honduras - Atletico Choloma

We had a full review of the squad today. The backroom staff gathered for a long meeting, going over the numbers, the performances, and where we stand financially heading into next season. Some good, some not-so-good, and a couple of real headaches.

José Alvarado, our Director of Football, gave us a sobering financial update. Despite the success we’ve had on the pitch, we’re in the red by £37k, and that’s after the board injected £110k to help with running costs this season. We’re not just treading water; we’re sinking a bit. It’s clear there will be very limited transfer and wage budgets next season. We’re going to need to be smart, or desperate.

spacer.png

The sale of either Pabón or Juan Pablo Carreño might be the answer. Pabón is still on the transfer list, and while Carreño has been excellent in goal, he’s refused to renew his contract. If we keep him until his contract expires next season, we risk losing him for nothing. Either way, tough decisions lie ahead.

Gustavo Gallegos, my assistant, provided a high-level summary of the key squad performances:

spacer.png

Sony Fernández was one of our standout performers this season. With 7 assists and a solid 92% pass completion rate, he controlled the midfield and chipped in with 1 goal. He was named Player of the Match five times, showcasing his ability to influence games. His consistency earned him an impressive average rating of 7.26Erlin Rubi, another midfielder, was quietly effective with 5 assists and an even better 94% pass accuracy. His work rate was evident in both his defensive contributions and build-up play, however he is only with us on loan, I'd love to have him join permanently but we'll have to see what's possible when the transfer market opens.

Sergio Gatti showed why he’s a critical player for us. With 9 goals from defense, he offered a surprising attacking threat from set-pieces. His passing was immaculate (96%), and despite being a defender, he was a huge asset going forward. Jorge Rosales was ever-reliable, starting 36 games and contributing with 2 goals and 5 assists. His passing was crisp (91%), and he made 3 dribbles per game on average, showing how vital he was in both defense and attack. 

Juan Pablo Carreño kept us solid at the back in goal, playing in 35 games and posting a consistent 7.05 average rating. His passing out from the back was sharp, with a 91% pass accuracy. Despite his desire to leave, his performances have been top-notch.

David Cabrera provided 6 goals and 3 assists in his 27 appearances, making him one of our more reliable attacking threats, but his 6.84 rating shows room for improvement. José Andrés Pabón, incredibly frustrating. 4 goals, 4 assists, from over 30 appearances and that's before we come to his off the field antics. Jon Clark was thrown into the deep end this season after Pabón’s demotion. He hasn’t found his scoring touch yet, and hasn't scored but showed enthusiasm - he can't be our solution for next season though.

Overall, Gustavo’s analysis highlights what we already knew: the defense has been solid, but we’re struggling to find consistent attacking output. Our midfielders have chipped in with assists, but our forwards aren’t converting enough chances.

After reviewing the squad’s performance with the staff, we dove into the statistical side of things, which our Head Performance Analyst, Hugo Morales, had prepared.

The good news is, statistically, we’re outperforming the league in a number of ways. But there’s a frustrating undercurrent to it all.

spacer.png

We’ve averaged 15 shots per game, which is well above most teams—a massive outlier in fact. The problem is the quality of those shots. We’re generating an xG of only 1.59 per game, meaning we’re taking shots from poor positions, rushing them, or just not working the ball into better areas. We’re being impatient. I pointed out that maybe we need to slow things down, build up play more carefully, and get ourselves into better positions before pulling the trigger.

Then there’s the real kicker: we’re underperforming when it comes to finishing those chances. Despite the 1.59 xG, we’re only scoring 1.36 goals per game. That’s just poor finishing and lack of composure in the forward line. It’s something we’ve got to address next season if we’re serious about a title push.

Our shots on target percentage is sitting at 39%—which is about league average, but that’s simply not good enough. If we want to challenge the likes of Olimpia or Real España, we need to be more clinical, not just take more shots.

Our tackles won ratio at 77.59% is another area where we’re lacking. We’re below the league average here, and it’s something we’ll have to fix because it’s leading to us losing control in midfield and getting caught on the break.

On a lighter note, I couldn’t help but point out that according to the xG table—which ranks teams based on expected goals and expected goals conceded—we’d have won the league! It’s a crazy thought. Olimpia, who were the actual champions, massively overperformed their xG and xGA, accumulating 20 more points than you’d expect.

spacer.png

Of course, that little tidbit didn’t go down without some laughs and scoffing in the room. Some of the staff joked that we should do away with goals altogether and just award the title based on xG! It was a lighthearted moment amidst the heavier discussions, but it did make me wonder: what if we’d just had that extra bit of finishing quality, that extra bit of composure?