22 Little Ants

My groundskeeper asked me to pick the pitch size, and I chose the maximum option. Now, the pitch looks 'ginormous' with 22 players who look like little ants. (See image below).

Is it just my eyes, or could SI perhaps take a look into this, so to make this look more proportional?... It feels a bit odd.

PS: I posted on this topic a couple of years ago, and a few gamers got absolutely furious with me (for whatever reason...). Hope they are feeling better since then...

image.thumb.png.21a4c15426f2403c6d83a4b820c7f540.png

19 minutes ago, starbugg said:

What version are you playing? I haven't been asked about pitch size for years.

In FM24 I get asked at the start of every season what pitch dimensions I want. I only play top clubs though - maybe it’s different in lower leagues.

I play in the English Prem and I can't remember the last time I was asked. It was certainly quite a few versions ago.

Anyone know if it is a setting somewhere? I can't find anything to do with pitch size or groundsmen, I thought they had taken it out of the game.

Certain leagues have a specified pitch size which you need an exemption to get out of (so Liverpool get one in the PL because Anfield can't physically accommodate the minimum size if memory serves) but other leagues don't have this. Sometimes clubs are limited by the Champions League rules so in my current save with Barcelona I've got a very narrow set of options available, but the teams who haven't qualified for Europe can go absolutely massive, or incredibly narrow. I think in terms of width the ranges I've seen in Spain are 55m - 90m wide. Meanwhile I think my side is limited to the 60-65m range because of the Champions League. 

The pitch in the screenshot does look exceptionally wide, it might be worth checking the dimensions of their pitch just to see how much it may be down to perspective or if there has maybe been an error in the data or something allowing for a way wider pitch than should be possible.

3 hours ago, santy001 said:

Certain leagues have a specified pitch size which you need an exemption to get out of (so Liverpool get one in the PL because Anfield can't physically accommodate the minimum size if memory serves) but other leagues don't have this. Sometimes clubs are limited by the Champions League rules so in my current save with Barcelona I've got a very narrow set of options available, but the teams who haven't qualified for Europe can go absolutely massive, or incredibly narrow. I think in terms of width the ranges I've seen in Spain are 55m - 90m wide. Meanwhile I think my side is limited to the 60-65m range because of the Champions League. 

The pitch in the screenshot does look exceptionally wide, it might be worth checking the dimensions of their pitch just to see how much it may be down to perspective or if there has maybe been an error in the data or something allowing for a way wider pitch than should be possible.

Correct. Anfield is smaller than the fixed dimensions of 105m by 68m that host stadiums must have. Chelsea‘s Stamford Bridge has been ruled out for similar reasons. Which is why you'll not see either stadium host a European Final (CL etc), European championship match, World cup match.

These are current rules

The field of play must have the standard dimensions of 105m x 68m and respect the IFAB Laws of the Game.

The area around the field of play up until the perimeter boards (but a minimum of 3m) must be flat and consist of natural grass (or high quality artificial turf).

The overall distance between the field of play and the edge of the spectator seating area must be at least 7.5m (preferably 10m) behind each goal and at least 6m (preferably 8.5m) along the touchlines.

This space is needed in particular for the substitutes’ benches, the camera positions, microphones, photographers and advertising boards. This results in a minimum overall available area of 120m x 80m and a preferred overall area of 125m x 85m.

Comments here are missing the point. My original question is not about groundskeeping or stadium sizes in England.

It is about the flawed visual disproportion between players and pitch in FM (regardless of country, league or groundskeeping option).

This is an old problem. I recall it was not this bad in older versions of FM.

You chose a pitch size that could be ~30% bigger than normal (depending on what the dimensions were, which you haven't stated).

The players didn't suddenly get 30% bigger than they were before, so they're gonna look smaller. 

Try changing the view settings within matches and see if you can find something you're happy with. 

I did the same thing you did one time. 

Other than the fact I had my eyes fatiguing just watching the game(the camera is too far away), the pitch size was really affecting performance too. I liked that(even though we got worse)

It seems to be related to your screen resolution. I normally play on my desktop with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 with text and image size of 100% and everthing looks ok but if I play on my laptop at 1920 x 1080 and 85% I'm seeing little ants.

On 07/07/2024 at 07:01, Hovis Dexter said:

It seems to be related to your screen resolution. I normally play on my desktop with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 with text and image size of 100% and everthing looks ok but if I play on my laptop at 1920 x 1080 and 85% I'm seeing little ants.

Thanks for your response. I thought this could be a good solution. I tried various resolution options, but the players still look quite tiny. I appreciate your suggestion though, thanks.