How to make a 3 + 2 build up?

I'm struggling with it, and as much as i understand the positional play changes, i can't really find how to build up with 3 + 2.

My idea is having those 3 at cb position linking up with both dm's and one of them being a more "natural" dm with the Wingback at his side acting almost like a winger ( so kinda a WB(A) or CWB ) and the other dm progressing with the ball dribbling and passing ( old SV/RMP basically ). How to achieve that?

You can achieve the 3-2 build up shape with every single formation with the positional rotations. So what kind of starting point do you wish?

5 hours ago, hotredabyss said:

I'm struggling with it, and as much as i understand the positional play changes, i can't really find how to build up with 3 + 2.

My idea is having those 3 at cb position linking up with both dm's and one of them being a more "natural" dm with the Wingback at his side acting almost like a winger ( so kinda a WB(A) or CWB ) and the other dm progressing with the ball dribbling and passing ( old SV/RMP basically ). How to achieve that?

DMsu
IWBsu BPDde  CDde  IFBde

This is a very straight forward example, but you can try other combinations. CWB and RPM/SV are a bit too attacking to create that 3-2 build up I think. FB with sit narrower and DLP could also work.

Posted (edited)

2 horas atrás, Lasson disse:

image.png.9f07807d857fb6fae3f04fc508d9f100.png

This is my 3-2 right now.

Thanks for the example, and answering your first question, i'm currently using a 433 but will maybe rotate for a 442 later. I did first think about using a 4231, which is why i mentioned exactly 2 dms

I wanted one of the WBs to act as a Wingback really, as all of the ones i have possess Winger-esque traits, also on his side i'm using a AF/IW type of role with "Sit narrower", so the idea is him giving width and being a pass option to run on his side

2 horas atrás, Karlo disse:

DMsu
IWBsu BPDde  CDde  IFBde

This is a very straight forward example, but you can try other combinations. CWB and RPM/SV are a bit too attacking to create that 3-2 build up I think. FB with sit narrower and DLP could also work.

Yes, i know that, i mentioned the old SV/RPM bc they used to progress with the ball starting on the dm spot before PP, which is what i want one of my midfielders to do (help in possession, dribbling and doing progressive passes while the other is a more "safe" dm). I'm not using a DLP(s) which is kinda what i want bc my most attacking midfielder is a AP already

Something like this is what i'm trying to achieve, i guess

LINEUP111720173531836.jpg

Edited by hotredabyss

Posted (edited)
On 05/07/2024 at 13:21, Lasson said:

image.png.e936648a832a08dca2620e67f4fa473d.png

Something like this might be what you are looking for then. The MEZ(s) could also be a simple BBM.

This does not work, the dlp does not drop consistently enough to make it a viable 3+2 build up shape. Push your wing back up a slot, put your dlp on the DM slot, and normally it should fit in just nice. For some reason the 2 are competing for the same spot during build up, the dlp will be shy about dropping into DM and the wing back will stay deep.

While if you put the DLP as a DM there is no competition anymore for the same space, you will see him more available than not because AI has a hard time marking/pressing DMs while it easily marks/press the CMs.

Also pushing your wing back up a slot will make it much harder on the opposition to stop you from progressing on that side for multiple reasons

Edited by skyzekaizo

On 07/07/2024 at 09:33, skyzekaizo said:

This does not work, the dlp does not drop consistently enough to make it a viable 3+2 build up shape. Push your wing back up a slot, put your dlp on the DM slot, and normally it should fit in just nice. For some reason the 2 are competing for the same spot during build up, the dlp will be shy about dropping into DM and the wing back will stay deep.

While if you put the DLP as a DM there is no competition anymore for the same space, you will see him more available than not because AI has a hard time marking/pressing DMs while it easily marks/press the CMs.

Also pushing your wing back up a slot will make it much harder on the opposition to stop you from progressing on that side for multiple reasons

But the DLP won't push up the field, either. The CM(a), MEZ(s/a), BBM, RPM and AP(s/a) will do that. I think it'll do just fine. You could also use the BWM(s) or CM(s) to make the "2". Or that is, at least, what I think.

3 hours ago, Lasson said:

But the DLP won't push up the field, either. The CM(a), MEZ(s/a), BBM, RPM and AP(s/a) will do that. I think it'll do just fine. You could also use the BWM(s) or CM(s) to make the "2". Or that is, at least, what I think.

If you want your player to start as a pivot and then go further forward after build up, I think you can try a regista, a RPM in the DM position, a DM-s or SV-s with traits or PI to go further forward.

A BWM-s or CM-s will push up because the current ME does not know what to do with central midfielders, it just sticks them into channels and hope for the best.