New approach for a World League

Hello everyone,

I often like to make editor files that involve every country in the World. I've made plenty of these and they work fine, albeit they are usually very slow moving in game and I never typically make it past a season or two as a result.

I recently had an idea that might help speed up the game significantly, but will still keep the spirit of a world league and I wanted to run it by those in the Advanced Editor forum to see if there are any issues that I am overlooking or maybe a different approach to accomplish the same goal.

The basic premise is that instead of placing all the clubs in a single nation, they all remain in their own nation and I will set up lots of individual nation files in a uniform fashion. That way I can select the nations I'm interested in managing, but all nations will still be involved in this world system.

All the nations will have the same structure, 3 clubs in the top league, 256(for nations that have this many clubs available) in the second tier split into 16 Regional groups and an inactive 3rd tier. I have been also setting up a 64 club promotion playoff with a single promoted club to the world league tier, which I was able to get working in the Advanced Rules.

The part that is a bit more unconventional is how the actual world league will be set up. I was planning on doing it by using a cup competition within a single nation with a huge group stage to pull the clubs from the top league of each nation.

I 've tried setting up Continental files using "World" as the continent in the past to accomplish this, but it always seems to grab the wrong clubs. Is there a way in the advanced editor to guarantee that the 3 clubs from the top domestic league for that season will be selected every time?

Using cup the cup competition has worked on a small scale for this idea and it always pulls in the correct clubs, but I feel like this is the part that has the most potential for issue or unintended consequences. Otherwise is there an easier way to accomplish what I am trying to do here or am I overlooking something?

I realize there are world champions league files out there, but this idea is more of a world super league where the clubs in the top division primarily play other world clubs and only will play a handful of game against their domestic clubs to try to not get relegated.

5 hours ago, Ironbucket said:

I 've tried setting up Continental files using "World" as the continent in the past to accomplish this, but it always seems to grab the wrong clubs. Is there a way in the advanced editor to guarantee that the 3 clubs from the top domestic league for that season will be selected every time?

Yes. Continental rules cups can get teams the exact same ways as domestic cups. So if you can do it for a domestic cup, you can do it for a continental cup.

The easiest way is to use the top 3 teams from the previous season though. Otherwise you have to set it up to wait until all of your domestic leagues have finished to get teams for the current season. If you're trying to get teams from the current season you can also run into issues with the difference between simulated leagues and non-simulated leagues, which getting teams from the previous season would avoid.

28 minutes ago, Ironbucket said:

Thanks, I'll try setting up all the domestic leagues so they finish before the tournament starts. That may do it 

It'd need to be before the tournament sets up, not starts. The set up date is the date it draws the teams on. By default that will be as soon as the season starts. So you'd need to edit the set up date, and/or add requrements for the 1st stage to wait for all the leagues to have finished.