{FM24} The Charlton Athletic Project

CharltonLogo.png.5fe5520ffcbea507011451c820fcda9d.png

Charlton Athletic

"The Addicks"

It's hard to believe that it's been 20 years since Charlton was in the Premier League, back then Charlton was competing against the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, and Tottenham, Charlton even drew with Arsene Wegner's 'Invincible' Arsenal team as Alan Curbishley’s perennial overachievers would finish 7th in Premier League that season just 3 points off a European Competition qualification. Looking back, it was a sliding doors moment for the club as Charlton went from unlikely underdog challengers to League One strugglers two decades later. It's always ideal to look back and think what could have been, but in an alternate reality could Charlton have cracked the top 6 and become a top club desirable to big superstars of the modern game today? fans must wonder what could have been...

The last 20 years at Charlton Athletic have certainly had some moments to forget, which include a string of owners who have underachieved and under-delivered on promises, fans throwing plastic pigs on the field during a game, fans marching to a match with a coffin in club colours, an owner playing his electric guitar on the field before a match (yes, you read that right) as well as firing of 6 managers since 2021, right now the club desperately needs to restore some stability. I noticed a name that rang a bell, for those who have seen the Sunderland 'Till I Die" documentary Charlie Methven was a previous owner of Sunderland and is now part of an ownership group called SE7 Partners which owns Charlton Atheltic, this season alone they have already sacked two managers (Dean Holden and Michael Appleton). If you don't remember who Charlie Methven is... well he was the guy who wanted to play EDM before Sunderland games to "hype the crowd" before a game, the link below is a good laugh, it makes you wonder what goes on in "Boardroom meetings".

SAVE STRUCTURE

I'm a fairly slow FM player and I play every save differently I've drawn a lot of inspiration from the 2000s era which will be a theme for this save I will explain further down this blog! I have a large database loaded with lots of different leagues to give a good range of players available. I don't have any restrictions as far as recruitment goes but my DOF will be handling all transfer and contract negotiations, I will set the scouting assignments and then my DOF will be notified to get the deal done, it will add a little realism and a slight challenge as some deals will break down just like they do in real life. I pick the save up at the beginning of February 2024 as Charlton is hovering over the relegation spots and has just sacked manager Michael Appleton.

Appletonsacked.png.1c8dafd9f2a1123e89e6da738c601a72.png

STAFF

When I arrived at Charlton the first part of the restructuring phase was sorting out the backroom staff. As I mentioned I have drawn some inspiration from the 2000s era when Charlton was last in the Premier League for this save. Hence, I plan on signing some staff members from that era to add an element of realism and nostalgia and hopefully, some winning mentality can rub off on the players. 

After the departure of Michael Appleton, I was surprised to notice there were quite a few positions to fill and the entire scouting department was bare so I made some signings to the scouting department and hired Les Ferdinand as Director of Football. Les Ferdinand has worked at many clubs around London so it seemed like a realistic fit, Ferdinand will handle all transfers and contracts going forward. I also added David Unsworth and Roy Keane as a coach, tho Roy Keane has mentioned he hasn't ruled out getting back into management he's now part of the new Charlton Athletic project.

LesFerdinandsigns.thumb.png.3dc4ea0e23098106b6fdbb20bc3984e9.png

RoyKeanesigns.thumb.png.a9df365a8c53f3113636aa658d0e363e.png

DavidUnsworthsigns.thumb.png.bd9e9b47e5aed7ddee0a719b28a4ef64.png

KEY PLAYERS

Alfie May has certainly proven he can score goals at League One level, a quick gland at Alfie May's attributes and his Work Rate, Determination and Stamina make him a very dangerous Pressing Forward, tho his contract expires in 2025 I may be forced to sell the 30-year-old and cash in on his goal-scoring form, Alfie May has scored 10 goals so far in the 2023/24 season despite being on hefty wages for League One I am open to the idea of keeping him as replacing him may be a challenge but also to mentor some younger players in the squad for the future. Currently, Lewis Dobson is in contract negotiations with Les Ferdinand about a potential extension and Lewis Fiorini is on loan from Manchester City - he may be above our transfer budget. Still, at the end of the season, I will see what the squad needs regarding positions and depth.

AlfieMay.thumb.png.f11ae7cc997b0631b014c559df044bd0.png  GeorgeDobson.thumb.png.e1dd7c98ed52a666b4d2472260e79bb0.png  LewisFiorini.thumb.png.ff9c12f8b550006b67f6e1a903b2b237.png

TACTIC

Edited by The Don Carlo