For the friends of Catenaccio

@Cloud9 Thanks for your comments. Other thing I remember is that Atlético Fullbacks were generally defending wider than normal (Trap Inside) and the Wide Midfielders much narrower (Trap Outside) so it is tricky for me to decide which Trap to choose as everything is relative. :) Anyway I am currently using Trap Outside with my 4-4-2 Low Block system, but what I sometimes need to do is to instruct my Fullbacks to specifically mark opp. Wingers (in AMR/L positions) because they are sometimes defending too narrow and leave too much space outside. I mean leaving space outside is what I tend to do with my compact 4-4-2, but not much, because if the opp. Winger is dangerous and has too much time he can do his magic long before my Fullback closes him down.

Em 18/07/2024 em 23:22, Single Pivot disse:

spacer.png

Overview

This tactic is inspired by Otto Rehagel's legendary 4-3-3 formation that led Greece to victory at Euro 2004. It is built around a solid defensive foundation, disciplined man-marking, and quick counter-attacks, with a strong emphasis on exploiting set pieces.

Formation and Mentality

• Formation: 4-3-3
  • Mentality: Balanced
  • Defensive Shape: Mid Block

Defensive Structure

The team sits in a mid-block, allowing the opposition defenders and deep midfielders some space while tightly marking the forwards and attacking midfielders. Key aspects include:

• Right-Sided Centre Back: Acts as a free defender, sweeping up behind the markers (Dellas role).
  • Defensive Midfielder: Marks the opposition's attacking midfielder if present.
  • Two Number 8s: Mark zonally, maintaining tight marking within their zones.

Midfield Configuration

The midfield trio operates narrowly, providing compactness and discipline:

• Defensive Midfielder: Stays deep to cover and mark the opposition's attacking threats.
  • Two Central Midfielders (Number 8s): Operate with a blend of zonal and tight marking, maintaining solidity in the middle.

Attacking Strategy

The front three are pivotal in both defence and attack:

• Left Winger (Karagounis role): A technical dribbler who can drop deep to form a midfield four, aiding in ball retention and buildup play.
  • Right Winger (Charisteas role): Acts as a wide target man, providing an outlet for counter-attacks.
  • Central Forward: Another target man, positioned centrally to receive long balls and hold up play.

Fullbacks and Support

• Fullbacks: Join the attack when it is sustained, providing width and crossing opportunities.
  • Right Central Midfielder (Zagorakis role): An all-action midfielder who joins attacks, contributing both offensively and defensively.

Adaptation for Two Striker Formations

When facing teams with two strikers, the tactic adapts as follows:

• Right Back: Becomes an inverted fullback, marking the second striker (Seitaridis role).
  • Right Central Midfielder: Picks up the opposition's wide threat on the left.
  • Left Back or Left Winger: Picks up the wide threat on the opposition's right.

Performance and Testing

While still a work in progress and in the testing phase, this tactic has shown promising results. So far, I am unbeaten with AC Milan after 12 league matches, and the gameplay closely mirrors Greece's trophy-winning performance in 2004.

Hello! Any updates on this tactic? Absolutely love the look of it.

13 hours ago, Los_Culés said:

@Cloud9 Thanks for your comments. Other thing I remember is that Atlético Fullbacks were generally defending wider than normal (Trap Inside) and the Wide Midfielders much narrower (Trap Outside) so it is tricky for me to decide which Trap to choose as everything is relative. :) Anyway I am currently using Trap Outside with my 4-4-2 Low Block system, but what I sometimes need to do is to instruct my Fullbacks to specifically mark opp. Wingers (in AMR/L positions) because they are sometimes defending too narrow and leave too much space outside. I mean leaving space outside is what I tend to do with my compact 4-4-2, but not much, because if the opp. Winger is dangerous and has too much time he can do his magic long before my Fullback closes him down.

You can always try a combination of things! Perhaps you would like the WB(d) role? A FB(s) w/tinkered PIs could work nicely as well, you could ask him to sit wide for example. 

WM are typically great roles for covering the wide areas; and offer a lot of customization in the PIs. DW are another strong option for an Atletico style approach. 

Posted (edited)

https://imgur.com/7Wc5Iim

So, with the arrival of Lorenzo Lucca, I have been able to make a few adjustments to the tactical approach. 

First of all I will be changing the striker role to a target forward and also instructing our keeper to favor long distribution towards him. 

Also when using Saba Sazonov type of centre-back, I am going to play him as a no-nonsense type of central defender to encourage the longer ball approach. 

In the double pivot, I am going to change the stay put and moving combination around by using Samuele Ricci as a deep-lying playmaker on support duty on the left and a ball-winning midfielder down the right. Ricci will also be encouraged to play more direct balls. 

In terms if team instructions, I am going to try out a direct approach for the first time and I'm going to combine this with a slow tempo. This, so that the strikers will have their time to get forward to a more dangerous position after the ball has been won back. In a lower block, the striking duo tends to drop all the way to the edge of our own penalty area in some situations to help in defense. 

Other changes to the team instructions are the removal of regroup and slightly more often pressing. 

In terms of pressing traps, I am now trying a combination of trap inside and invite crosses which will hopefully make the team squeeze the space away from the outside through the wing-backs coming inside. And then on the other hand hopefully limit the amount of corner kicks and throw-ins we are giving away as the team now should allow crosses to come in instead of blocking them out of play. I'd much rather give away chances from open play than end up all the time conceding from crappy set plays. 

1962589_Torino.thumb.jpg.75122c751eb6aa89c83295eb2c66c267.jpg

Edited by El Payaso