Can We Talk About Player Traits?

What is your experience with training and using player traits.
For the longest time I have trained players traits to match my team tactic. So for example if I use inverted wingers I will give them the trait of "cuts inside" to enhance this feature. If a player has contrasting traits to the role they are assigned in my tactic I will try to remove those traits. How do you see this? Lately I have started experimenting with developing contrasting player traits. For instance an inverted winger who runs wide with the ball. Do you have experience in using players traits to develop players with unique roles in your tactic?
What combinations of player traits do you like or recommend?
What player traits would you like to see added to the game?
I hope I make sense here :)  

8 hours ago, Miraculix said:

What is your experience with training and using player traits.
For the longest time I have trained players traits to match my team tactic. So for example if I use inverted wingers I will give them the trait of "cuts inside" to enhance this feature. If a player has contrasting traits to the role they are assigned in my tactic I will try to remove those traits. How do you see this? Lately I have started experimenting with developing contrasting player traits. For instance an inverted winger who runs wide with the ball. Do you have experience in using players traits to develop players with unique roles in your tactic?
What combinations of player traits do you like or recommend?
What player traits would you like to see added to the game?
I hope I make sense here :)  

Just use them sparingly as they can easily mess up your tactic. Really you only want to train/utilize traits if you want a specific interaction on a player profile/role. They can also be used to make up for a deficiency on a player that isn't fixable through training (likes to round keeper on a quick winger with no end product for example). 

They take training time to learn (which will take away from the players ability to develop), usually you try to add them through mentoring if at all. 

Edited by Cloud9

@Cloud9 do you think “play one twos” trait suits well for wingers? (especially inside forwards) and what about a winger(a) have a “move into channels” trait when he plays with off-centered enganche?

My 2nd choice Left winger is outscoring my 1st choice, just because he has cuts inside with the ball. 

I set up like this

Gk

WB(s) CB BPD FB(s)

CM(s) DLP(d) CM(a)

IF(a)   DLF(a)  W(a)

When the left winger with that trait plays, it's like 4 players attacking the box at once.

6 hours ago, Jr35 said:

@Cloud9 do you think “play one twos” trait suits well for wingers? (especially inside forwards) and what about a winger(a) have a “move into channels” trait when he plays with off-centered enganche?

I think it would be an oversimplification to answer yes or no.

The answer will depend on TIs, player profiles, and what you're trying to accomplish in your tactic. 

2 saat önce, Cloud9 said:

I think it would be an oversimplification to answer yes or no.

The answer will depend on TIs, player profiles, and what you're trying to accomplish in your tactic. 

i mean this tactic.

IMG_0021.thumb.png.75d78eab79e0ffdcaefd95eb163bf8b5.png

IF Attack

- Gets Further Whenever Possible
- Gets Into Opposition Area
- Likes to Beat Offside Trap
- Plays One-Twos

Winger Attack

- Gets Further Whenever Possible
- Likes to Beat Offside Trap
- Plays One-Twos

EG Support

- Dictates Tempo
- Does Not Move Into Channels
- Likes to Switch Ball to Other Flank
- Runs with Ball Rarely
- Stops Play
- Tries Killer Balls Often

====

Since traits is behaviour - decisions of players, is directly connected with roles, duties, attributes, team & player instructions.

do you see a difference between getting further forward, getting into oppositon area and beating offside trap?

What happens when you combine them?

3 hours ago, skyzekaizo said:

do you see a difference between getting further forward, getting into oppositon area and beating offside trap?

What happens when you combine them?

Yes they are different. If you put all three traits the tendency will increase for the player to do those three actions.

17 hours ago, Jr35 said:

i mean this tactic.

IMG_0021.thumb.png.75d78eab79e0ffdcaefd95eb163bf8b5.png

I would address the issues in the tactic first before worrying about traits. Traits can make it difficult to tinker/make changes further down the line. F9+ EG in particular seems like an anti-combo to me.

Martinelli has the individualistic profile to do damage without linking up ((pace and dribbling), so I wouldn't single out one-twos as a must have on him worth the training time. Moves into channels on Saka will fundamentally change how your teams play (see above on utilizing traits sparingly). Successful or not the ball will turn over when he runs the channels. As I mention, I would figure out your tactic first.

Deciding if your 9 will run the channel as a spearheading forward or if you will go with a goalscorer from the 10 position will be pivotal to Saka running the channels or not. 

Edited by Cloud9

34 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

Yes they are different. If you put all three traits the tendency will increase for the player to do those three actions.

I was hoping more for an explanation on how they differ and what happens when you combine them

2 hours ago, skyzekaizo said:

I was hoping more for an explanation on how they differ and what happens when you combine them

Traits increase the individual tendency for a player to do something, as I mention adding many is just asking him to increase the tendency of doing several different actions. If you are unsure with traits, always go with less than more. The player will also need the attributes to pull off the trait. For most situations you can achieve what you want with TI/role/PI and OI's and not the traits themselves.

Offside trap: Encourages the tendency for the player to try to run off the defenders shoulder for a through ball. Dependent on your style of play (forces a turnover). Good if you want to launch more counters for example, bad in other situations (keeping possession or opposition defenders being quicker than you). Very bad if the player doesn't have the attributes to pull it off (anticipation, off the ball, and speed). Also bad if you don't have players capable of playing him in. Helps if there is space to attack.

• On a mid block counter attack you don't have to have this trait on your spearheading player for him to initiate counters. You don't even necessarily have to have the "counter" TI ticked. The player will still do so on his own. However, you are increasing the tendency for it to happen. This is not always beneficial (as I have tried to detail in this post). There is nothing wrong with chilling and launching more high % counter attacks if that's the style you prefer.

Gets into the box: He goes into the box more. Not sure what else there is to say on this one. Again, big question is...do you want him doing that over what the role usually does? It's not just a win like he does something extra on top of his role. He chooses to go into the box OVER what he would originally be doing. He will also need a profile to be impactful in the box. 

Gets forward more: The player will go forward more off the ball than the TIS/PIS would usually allow. Good if you want this to happen, disastrous for your tactic if you don't. 

To reiterate: if in doubt, don't train it as they take away from important development periods and can mess up your tactic. Players heavily loaded with traits tend to be a noob trap. The players become less flexible as well.

Traits can, however, be quite effective when used sparingly to enhance specific players strengths/hide deficiencies that you can't train out. They can be very nice for a tactical vision you're committed to building your side around and are looking for that extra fizz to pull it off successfully. In the end their effectiveness is highly situation, which is why I urge to use them only when you are sure.

Edited by Cloud9

I have a couple of saves where I only use vanilla roles and neutral instructions (so far as possible), relying on player traits to dictate how the team plays. Essentially my only tactic is the team shape and changing mentality during the game.

It’s a lot of fun, a throwback to a time of individual character > team tactics.

It’s also a reminder that with plain roles and no instructions, players are perfectly capable of playing football without micromanagement. Defenders defend, attackers try to score, wingers dribble and cross.

In a more conventional save, I like players having traits that complement how I want them to play. Players notice this, hence “feels team instruction X and trait Y are well matched” on the reaction page before a game. Traits can also very strongly differentiate how two players in the same role play, eg a B2B with gets forward and runs with ball vs one with dives into tackles and winds up opponents.

Perhaps worth noting too that some traits are directly related to PIs (eg cuts inside, gets forward, crosses early, runs with ball) whereas others are characteristics not related to tactics (like tries tricks, arrives late in box, winds up opponents, dictates tempo).