The Lost City of xG

-Xenon-

Not sure where this journey will end up but it's time to say goodbye to 20+ years of playing FM and sign off in style.....

The Lost City of xG

"Well of all the places in the world Ally McLyle, I expect Manaus was low on the list of where you thought you would end up?"

"Aye, I'm just on a pilgrimage stopping at every stadium where England have been dumped out of World Cups!"

It was going to be one of those interviews, some ESPN puff piece, look how the mighty have fallen eh? Filed somewhere in with the wee nerd who played so much Football Manager that he's now coaching the Bahamas. Well actually I never considered myself all that mighty to tell you the truth. My father always said I always better have an honest wage coming in, and it's been a good few years since I've earned a straight bob or two, so I've got to swallow a few of these questions.

"You were The Special One, Jose Mourinho's youngest coach at Chelsea, you then followed him to Inter, but then he fired you?"

"Aye, thanks, yeah."

Greater men than me have got in trouble for chinning Marco Materazzi, but I guess not at a players and staff Christmas party.

"You were set to take your first steps as a senior manager in Portugal with Gil Vicente before you were charged with illegal gambling by FIFA, and you have spent the last three years on the sidelines?"

"Well, I did manage to learn some Portuguese while I was on the dole queue, not bad for getting the gig here eh?"

I'm not sorry I had a bet, I'm sorry I got caught. There's dark, ominous clouds on the horizon, I mean literally, I'm in a tropical rainforest. Training is going to be a nightmare, I just need to figure out who to get rid of first. Are we still going here?

"Amazonas are looking to make the state a football powerhouse, can you bring that success to them?"

Is he joking?

"Listen pal, come here you can have one thing on the record yeah? Yeah? This is the quote you came for are you writing it down? Good man"

We are nae going up. We cannae. I've a one year deal then I'm pishing off somewhere where I'm nae sweating my baws off"

"That should be enough for ESPN, thanks very much"

The media, it's never been my strong suit, I've always felt the need to delegate.

Edited by -Xenon-

Come on pick up man. The first training session had been a brutal, sapping exercise in the humidity and heat. A few of the lads had come in looking like they had enjoyed their holiday alright. It's not going to take me long to beast these lads into some shape. Ah come on pick up.

The line is a bit crackly, I've had to wait to get out of training and then got ambushed by the owner, it's late in Glasgow but this guy is like a vampire, he'll probably be out on the town.

"Hello.."

"Kenny! You alright big man?"

"Who's that?"

"Eh come on man, you forgotten your pals?"

"Jesus....."

"Aye close. What you been up to?"

"Ally, I thought you were in prison."

Three weeks and out for good behaviour but I guess news travels home. 

"Listen, I know this is out of the blue, but I've got a gig for you. I'm in Brazil, tell you the truth it's the middle of nowhere, so forget Copa Cabana and all that jazz. It's a decent setup but the staff are clueless, I just need someone to rely on."

"I've got a job and a life, you can't call me out of nowhere and expect me to jump on a plane. I've not seen you for three years."

"Look, I get it and it's my fault. It's one year out here, then I'm going back to Glasgow. I'm making seven grand a month and it goes really far. I can get you something similar and we bank it all away."

"I need to think about it, you know? It's Christmas coming up and I've got to make sure the old man's alright."

"Aye, but listen give me your email, I'll send you what I'm working with. I've already cut out the dead wood and you'll never guess who's here, you remember Big Jô?

To: kennythegoat@gmail.com

Subject: Amazonas FC: Squad Report

Amazonas FC - Serie C / Amazonas State Championship Squad

Goalkeepers

Edson Mardden - 31 GK

With great strength and aerial ability, Mardden will be the first choice keeper. Has spent time mainly as a back up for a variety of Serie B sides but will now get a chance to make the number 1 shirt his own. A no nonsense type keeper, we are unlikely to be playing out from the back with him between the sticks.

Marcão - 31 GK

Similar profile to Mardden but perhaps lacks that physical presence in the goal area means that he will be an able back up. 

Defenders

Ezequiel - 30 D WBR

Solid if unspectacular right wing back who can go forward. Drops down to Serie C for the first time since his youth days after being last on the books at Londrina.

Patric - 33 D WBR

Patric brings bags of valuable experience to the group with nearly 400 pro appearances under his belt, plenty of it coming in the top flight. Age may not be on his side but he should find it easy going at this level, will bring plenty of creativity and crossing from the right.

Oswaldo Henriquez - 33 DC

Colombian centre back arrives on a free transfer having not made a single appearance at Paysandu. He brings experience and shores up a back line desperate for centre back options. At one point was a regular at Vasco, he took in stints in Israel and back in his homeland before bouncing around the Brazilian lower tiers. He signs on a one year deal.

Iverton - 22 DC

A big strong lad, fundamentally sound centre back, but very much lacking the technical skills or concentration to be a long term option in defence. Finds himself lucky to be a rotation option due to a lack of centre backs at the club. He will have chances to prove us wrong this season.

Ivan Alvarino - 22 DC/DM/MC

In truth the young Argentine is more of a traditional number 6 type midfield player but will be asked to act a the ball playing central defender and build the play from the back. Alvarino is on loan from Boca Juniors and arrives after another loan move in Brazil at Guarani, where he made only 6 appearances. Will get much more opportunity here.

Aílton - 28 D WBL

A nomadic career that has taken in everywhere from Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Denmark and Russia sees Aílton return home to Brazil, a classic attacking full back, he brings technical qualities, dribbling and crossing to the left flank as well as being one of the hardest workers in the group.

Fabiano - 32 DL

A more defensive full back option, Fabiano will be understudy to Aílton. Has not played a senior game since 2021 and drops down from Serie B. Will be a bench option but is already a part of the leadership group and puts a shift in on the training pitch.

Midfielders

Guilherme Mantuan 25 MC

Former Corinthians youth teamer started life as a right back but is better suited to a box to box midfield role. In part due to his stamina and ability to get up and down the pitch all day long. Mantuan will be a valuable utility option as his technicals can see him play much higher. Will be a key player.

Philippe Guimarães - 31 DM

Positionally sound defensive midfielder who has good work rate and understanding of the game but in truth is physically in decline and is unlikely to sit a high octane pressing game that this team needs to get used to. Will offer cover from the bench.

Fellipe Bastos - 32 DM

Lots of experience and is a tenacious tackler with a fierce long shot when given the opportunity. Bastos would normally be starter but will be missing the first six months of the season due to a damaged achilles tendon picked up in the first training session back. A big blow for the team but will aim to return when the Serie C kicks off after the state championship is over.

Jorge Roa Jimenez - 30 DM

Primed to fill Bastos' boots is Paraguayan Jimenez who offers plenty of bite in the midfield. What he lacks in creativity he makes up for in ably getting across the park and breaking up play, recycling the ball to counter attack and making sure we control possession. Will be a dependable figure in the team.

William Barbio - 30 AMRL

Veteran winger who found success in South Korea, is back in Brazil after not making an impact at Londrina and Paysandu. Can play on either wing and up front if called upon. Can cause plenty of problems with his dribbling and will most likely start on the right wing for the state championship.

Gustavo Ermel - 28 AMR

Perhaps does not have quite the dribbling threat or pace that Barbio has, and will likely be an option from the bench. At 28, he lacks career experience has not yet reached 100 pro appearances, will likely be moved on at the end of the season.

Laercio - 25 AMR

Another winger returning to Brazil from the K League. Laercio can be a canny operator playing one twos between the lines. He's also an option up front but will likely find his route to the starting line up rather crowded, a loan option may be best for him.

Foguinho - 22 AMRC

If the youngster is to usurp Barbio in the starting line up it will be surely though his superb crossing ability and knack for popping up in space. Conversely, Foguinho is a shy member of the team and keeps to himself, he may struggle to impose himself on the group as it develops. Really needs to work on his strength in the gym.

Diego Torres - 32 AMC

Veteran Argentine Torres' career has been spent mainly in Chile and Brazil's Serie B, he drops down a tier to become our main creative fulcrum in the number 10 advanced playmaker role but is also comfortable dropping deeper. The challenge will be to stay fit and injury free. Torres brings vision and a cutting edge to the attack with his passing. Expect him to lead in goal contributions.

Rafael Tavares - 32 AMLC

Fan favourite Tavares wrote is name into club history with 11 goals from midfield that saw Amazonas rise up from Serie D. This new level may be a challenge for him as he enters the latter stages of his career but there is an aura about the man who wears the captains armband and his impact on games could well be key.

Eduardo Teixeira - 29 AMLC

Arguably the most technical player on the team, Teixeira may find more plentiful opportunities on the left wing due to a lack of squad depth there and given his crossing and set piece delivery from wide. Has Portuguese top flight experience with Braga and more recently found himself in Armenia, he returns to Brazil and will be a starter for the Jaguars.

Ênio - 21 AMC

The biggest talent in the squad without question, a career that started at Botafogo fizzled out with a disastrous move to Belgium with 0 appearances. He's back to restart his career and has a lot of promise with his range of passing and ability to dictate tempo of games, but has work to do to prove he can start ahead of Torres and Teixeira.

Lucas Morais - 25 AML 

Morais has a trick in him and can beat a man but he will struggle for game time after returning from the Norwegian and Finnish leagues, at best an option from the bench. Poor decision making and wayward passing has already lead to speculation he will be moved on.

Forwards

Sassá - 29 ST

At 5"9 he may lack the aerial presence that we would look for in this type of system, but he certainly makes up for that in tenacity and aggression. Sassá can press high up the pitch and torment defences. Lethal from the penalty spot as well as decent from open play, he uses that low centre of gravity well and has bullish strength. Can always pop up on the left if needed.

Rubens - 29 ST

Rubens uses every inch of his 6"4 frame to cause havoc in the box. A traditional number 9, his threat comes from his heading ability but he's also a decent finisher with his feet and he will likely be used as an impact sub off the bench.

Jô - 35 ST

20 cap Brazilian international. Formerly of Manchester City, Everton, CSKA Moscow and many more besides including spells in Japan and Saudi Arabia, Jô has had a well travelled career with nearly 500 pro games. The legs may have gone but in and around the penalty box he can still put the ball away and provided he stays fit, he will start as the main man up front.