(FM24) Knights of Spring - ŁKS Łódź

Coxie84

slide1-13.jpg?w=1024

Introduction

Nickname "Rycerze Wiosny" ("Knights of Spring") was given to them due to their usually strong performances after the winter break in the league.

So, I’ve been blogging FM content since May 2020 and I have never really blogged the same club twice a part from the club I support Walsall FC in England. However, I had thought back in March about bringing back an old series back to life but was put off previously as someone once said to me that it wasn't a good idea and no one would be interested in. Now, i thought sod it, if I enjoy it then that's all that matter's right. There were two saves from FM21, so I ran a quick poll over on X and the winner was a series called 'Knights Of Spring' with Polish side ŁKS Łódź who play in the top tier. Also, during the poll is was great to see that both clubs retweeted it and their supporters too.

image-22.png?w=639

The Club's Background & History

ŁKS Łódź were founded in the 1908, The club is based at Stadion LKS, at Al. Unii Lubelskiej 2 in the West of Łódź. After years of financial hardships, the club declared bankruptcy in May 2013 and was re-founded by a partnership between fans and local investors in the fifth tier of the league pyramid. The rebuilt club returned to the top division in 2019. On 28 May 2023, ŁKS secured promotion to Ekstraklasa after a 1–1 draw against Arka Gdynia; this result also confirmed ŁKS as I Liga champions. However, in real life they were relegated to the second division after just one season back in the top flight.

In their history, they have finished Champions of the Ekstraklasa in 1958 and more recently in 1997-1998. They have also won the Polish Cup, once and that was in the 1956-57 season.

image-28.png?w=1024

In 2009, the new Atlas Arena was completed adjacent to the football stadium. It is an indoor arena and has already hosted international events in basketball, volleyball and boxing.

The City council still intend to construct a brand new stadium on the site of the current football stadium. It was intended to be complete in time for UEFA Euro 2012, but now is expected to be finished in late 2013-early 2014. Although Łódź is not a Euro 2012 host city, it had been believed that a failure by Ukraine to be ready on time would lead to Poland hosting the entire tournament on its own and therefore requiring more host cities. There were four Polish host cities (Warsaw, Gdańsk, Poznań and Wrocław) involved in hosting the tournament. It was envisioned the new stadium will hold approximately 34,000 seats, as required by UEFA. Due to their rivalry, Widzew Łódź have ruled out using this new stadium and instead intend to rebuild their own stadium. Support for the project was undermined by the successful re-call of the Łódź city president in early 2010. The city has also announced a public auction for their stake in the club as they can no longer afford to cover the clubs loses. Owing to financial constraints and lack of demand from LKS fans, the stadium size was scaled down to 16,500 in 2012.

ŁKS Łódź have adventured into Europe, with the most recent being in the 1998-99 season. They played Manchester United in the 2nd Qualifying Round of the UEFA Champions League, but lost the tie 2-0 on aggregate. After losing to United, they then faced AS Monaco in the UEFA Cup and were knocked out in the 1st Round of the competition 3-1.

The club has a fierce rivalry with the cross-town club Widzew Łódź, in which is known as the  "Łódź derby" match, with the two clubs being intense both on and off the field.

Stadium

Stadion Miejski ŁKS Łódź (ŁKS Łódź Municipal Stadium), also known as Stadion ŁKS, is a multi-purpose stadium in Łódź, Poland.

image-23.png?w=1024

The ground has hosted football games since 1924. The stadium was built for ŁKS Łódź. Stadium had a capacity of 45,000 (record attendance: 21.08.1971 ŁKS vs. Polonia Bytom 0–0). It was demolished in 2014 and replaced by a single stand with a capacity of 5,700.

A new 16,500-seat stadium was planned on the same site. Support for the project was undermined by the re-call election of the Lodz City President in early 2010. The interim president has questioned the cost of the stadium. The city has also announced a public auction for their stake in the club as they can no longer afford to cover the clubs loses.

In November 2013, a contract was finally signed to begin construction of the new stadium with Mirbud, with completion within 20 months. Initially only one stand with a capacity of 5,700 seats was built. Once completed on all four sides the stadium will have a capacity of over 20,000. There is no timeline yet for the further development as LKS do not require the extra seating as they are currently in the 4th tier of Polish football because of relegation caused by bankruptcy. The new site is adjacent to the original stadium.

As of 2017 ŁKS advanced to the 3rd tier of Polish football resulting in the Mayor announcing that the remaining three tribunes will be built. The work on the remaining tribunes started in September 2019.

The completed stadium was opened in 2022.

On 24 May 2021, the President of the City of Łódź Hanna Zdanowska signed a bylaw granting the Stadion Miejski named after pre-war footballer and hockey player Władysław Król.

Also, the last time I was managing this club I did an article which featured on the club website which was awesome to be asked to do. “Knights of Spring” #7 In the Onslaught, that is, the Englishman leads the ŁKS in the game Football Manager.

image-33.png?w=1024

CoxieFM Signs

Arrives back in Poland to take over the reins as ŁKS Łódź. I am looking forward to walking around Stadion Miejski again and hopefully winning the Ekstraklasa again.

image-32.png?w=1024

Squads

First Team

There are 22 players in the first team and there are five of them left from my time I managed them back in FM21. I think I have a decent starting squad for this first campaign and hopefully if we avoid relegation from the Ekstraklasa in the first season.

image-31.png?w=1024

ŁKS Łódź II

In the second team, there ain't many players I will look to bring into the first team during this campaign.

image-30.png?w=1024

U19

There ain't many in the U19s squad at the start of the campaign, however there are a few of them which I am look to move up into the second squad or maybe in the first team in the next couple of seasons.

image-29.png?w=1024

Formation

Back on FM21, I used a formation called the back attack which was slightly like this one so I'm thinking at using a Xabi Alonso style formation.

image-24.png?w=1024

Club Vision

Is to avoid relegation from the Ekstraklasa and by achieving this, I should get a new contract hopefully otherwise it's going to be a short series.

image-25.png?w=1024

Finances

Having looked at the finances for the clubs transfer & wage budget, there seems I won't be bringing in anyone relying on the squad I have. Also, the first transfer window is disabled anyway...

image-26.png?w=1024

My Aims & Objectives

My aims and objectives for the first five seasons;

• 1st Season - Survive the season.
  • 2nd Season - Get a mid-table finish and get into the latter stages in the Polish Cup.
  • 3rs Season - Top three in the Ekstraklasa.
  • 4th Season - Win the league and get back into the Ekstraklasa.
  • 5th Season - Get into Europe and win the Polish Cup.

My plan for season six onwards;

• Be the best club in Poland.
  • Win either the Europa League or Conference.
  • Win the Champions league.

Thank you and I hope you enjoyed reading this post, I can't wait to get started on the "Knights of Spring" save.

Final Words

All updates will be posted on the FM Career Updates on the Sports Interactive Community forum page… All previous blogs can be found over on my WordPress page called CoxieFM.

Edited by Coxie84

Posted (edited)

(FM24) Knights of Spring – ŁKS Łódź: Part One

slide1-15.jpg?w=1024

JULY '23

Preseason

No one really cares about preseason right? For me, it's all about getting to know the players and rotating them during the fixtures to see who can play where and trying out the new formation. There were a lot of rotation during the five games to see what my strongest XI would be before my first game in charge. The first game being of course Legia Warszawa....

The preseason saw a mixture of results as Husein Balić made an immediate impact by scoring a hat-trick in the 4-0 win over GKS Tychy. a couple draw follows before losing to Slovakian side MŠK Žilina 3-0. We won the final game 4-2 against Kecskeméti TE.

image-34.png?w=1024

Just to recap below what the season expectations are before we head into the first game...

image-35.png?w=1024

PKO Ekstraklasa

Our first game of the season was against none other than 15 time Ekstraklasa champions Legia Warszawa. Of course, it has to be against one of the best sides in Poland but the only difference between us and them was one goal decided by VAR and it was award to them. It meant I lost my first opening game 1-0 and boy, I hate VAR already. However, in the very next match against Ruch Chorzów, VAR was my best friend, my mate and oppo as it awarded me my first win. Kay Tejan strike in the 64th minute was the only goal of the game.

image-36.png?w=1009

AUGUST '23

PKO Ekstraklasa

Spanish attacking midfielder Pirulo, who I remembered being in the squad back on FM21. Well, he scored a brace in the 5-0 win over Korona Kielce to send us into second place in the league after only three games.

image-39.png?w=996

As you can see the 'Łódź Derby' was next and to me this was gut wrenching to write this as that I know how much this means to ŁKS Łódź fans and myself. I promise, revenge will be sweet....What didn't help was the fact that Bartosz Szeliga got sent off for a bad tackle in the 2-1 defeat. However, we were back to winning ways in the 2-0 victory over Pogoń Szczecin as Macieji Silwa and Dani Ramirez getting their first goals of the season for the Knights of Spring. The never say die attitude was clear to see in the fixture against Puszcza Niepolomice with us equalising in the 91st minute, thanks to Adrien Louveau header in the 1-1 draw.

image-37.png?w=1006

SEPTEMBER '23

PKO Ekstraklasa & Puchar Polski

The first two matches of the month saw us drop points against two completely different teams at either end of the league. Warta Poznań in the relegation zone came back twice to secure a point against us. Bloody twice, we were in the lead and let it slip to draw 2-2. However, we played at the time top of the table Raków Częstochowa. Who in turn, saw us came back three times to rescue a point in the 3-3 draw. Spanish attacking midfielder, Pirulo scored our/his first hat-trick of the season and then he followed it up with another hat-trick....

image-40.png?w=998

In the 7-2 hammering of Jagiellonia Białystok. But in their defence, they were down to ten men after 5 minutes...I don't care because a win is a win and that result is the biggest league win so over in this save. We take a break in league action as we entered the first round of the Puchar Polski and quickly say bye to it as we lose 2-1 and ending a cup run at the first hurdle. Plus side of it means we can just focus on the league and finishing as high as we possibly can and especially higher than our fierce rivals Widzew Łódź.

image-38.png?w=1024

Table

Still early days in the league but I am happy for two reasons. Firstly, we are at the top end of the table in 6th place and secondly we are above Widzew Łódź, who are four points behind us.

image-41.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

If you wasn't aware but the first transfer window I have disabled as I want to focus on the players at the club. However, I have decided to bring in four new faces all Englishmen to the backroom staff.

• John Marshall - Scout - Previously at a Chief Scout at Wolverhampton.
  • Matt Higgins - Scout - Previously at MLS side Inter Miami as a Scout.
  • Michael Harding - Head Physio - Previously at East Bengal and Newcastle United.
  • Phil Jones - Technical Director - The former Manchester United defender hangs up his foots after playing career spanning 16 years to focus on his new non-playing career.
  • coxie-fm_-inbox-2.png?w=1024
  • coxie-fm_-inbox-3.png?w=1024
  • coxie-fm_-inbox-5.png?w=1024
  • coxie-fm_-inbox-6.png?w=1024

Edited by Coxie84

(FM24) Knights of Spring – ŁKS Łódź: Part Two

slide1-18.jpg?w=1024

Welcome back to the latest episode of the FM24 blog series called ‘Knights of Spring’ (‘Rycerze Wiosny‘). A nickname given to ŁKS Łódź due to their usually strong performances after the winter break in the league. If you missed the last episode, please catch it here: (FM24) Knights of Spring – ŁKS Łódź: Part One

ON THE PITCH

PKO Ekstraklasa October - December '23

So we didn't get off to the best of starts in October as we lost to Cracovia 1-0 which ended our five game undefeated run in the league. However, we follow it up with back to back 1-1 draws against Radomiak Radom and Lech Poznań with the latter at the time of playing them were 1st. Our attacking midfielder's Pirulo and Dani Ramirez getting a goal each. Our Austrian forward Husein Balić scored a hat-trick in our 5-2 win over Górnik Zabrze and is the only forward currently in the first team to score. So, over the next two months I decided to start bringing in some of the youth players to see if they can chip in with some goals because if Balić gets injured and a part from Pirulo I wouldn't know where the goals would come from.

In November, saw the Knight of Spring win all three of our games in this month. It started with back to back 3-1 victories over Śląsk Wrocław and Piast Gliwice before an epic seven goal thriller against Zagłębie Lubin in the game that finished 4-3 in our favour. Youngster Hugo Ista scored first his goal in the Śląsk Wrocław game before Jan Łabędzki got his first goal as well but in the Zagłębie Lubin fixture.

December arrives and we maintained our unbeaten streak nine games in the league by beating Stal Mielec 2-1 and then drawing against Legia Warszawa and Ruch Chorzów 0-0 and 2-2 respectively. Pirulo added to his tally and now is on likely 14 goals already this season before the winter break here in Poland.

image-42.png?w=1016

The league table as follows...We currently performing above expectation as many tipped us to be in a relegation battle. However, we are currently at the other end of the table and sit in 6th place and only a win away getting into the top four.

So, can we live up to the nickname of Knights of Spring’ (‘Rycerze Wiosny‘) and perform strong after the winter break in the league and just maybe get into Europe?

image-43.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

I started this save with only a one year deal and just before the winter break I get called into the office and they have decided to offer me a two year extension which I said yes too.

image-44.png?w=1024

That's what we like to see, lots of greens in section in the game and also something I missed it that the owner is looking to step aside and takeover in progress...

image-45.png?w=1024

(FM24) Knights of Spring – ŁKS Łódź: Part Three

slide1.jpg?w=1024

Welcome back to the latest chapter of the FM24 blog series called ‘Knights of Spring’ (‘Rycerze Wiosny‘). A nickname given to ŁKS Łódź due to their usually strong performances after the winter break in the league. If you missed the last chapter, please catch it here: (FM24) Knights of Spring – ŁKS Łódź: Part Two

OFF THE PITCH

So, if many don't follow Polish football then they have a winter break. It's from roughly late December to early February and that was my first chance to dip my toes into the transfer market for the first time in the series.

Incomings...

With no transfer budget and only a few grand in the wages I decided to go for players who are U22 so they don't have to be registered and also the five that I have signed have four star+ potential. The following players all came in on free transfers...

• Massimo Sandi - GK - The 21 year old Peruvian goalkeeper joins the club and will likely become our back up.
  • Alan Sánchez - DEF - The 19 year old Bolivian defender was released by Real Tomayapo. Also, he can play upfront too.
  • Dylan Talero - FWD - The 19 year old Colombian forward was released by Botafogo last season after not playing a single game. Also, was on the Inter Miami books.
  • Weverton - FWD - The 21 year old Brazilian forward joins the club following his release from New England II. He is the marque signing of this window as that we are in need of a goalscorer and hopefully he can bag a few goals.
  • Enzo Martinez - DEF - The 25 year old Uruguayan defender was released by Defensor Sporting. The last of the South American players to join the club.

• alan-sanchez_-profile.png?w=1024
  • dylan-talero_-profile.png?w=1024
  • enzo-martinez_-profile.png?w=1024
  • massimo-sandi_-profile.png?w=1024
  • weverton_-profile.png?w=1024

Outgoings...

To the Łódź fans or even players that are reading this, I am sorry. I have let seven players from the first team depart during this window as that they were on high wages and also hardly played so that's the reason why.

• Levent Gülen - The 29 year old Swedish defender joins Schaffhausen for £2.4K.
  • Kay Tejan - The 26 year old Dutch forward joins Cambuur For £26.5K.
  • Anton Fase - The 23 year old Dutch forward joins De Graafschap for £38.5K.
  • Jowin Radzinski - The midfielder joins a Polish side.
  • Lukasz Dynel - Departs on a free transfer and joins Stomil Olsztyn.
  • Yuya Kamon - The Japanese midfielder who was in the II squad joins Japanese side Ehime FC for £1K.
  • Stipe Juric - On a season long loan to Sloboda Tuzia.

Also, John Marshall from our backroom staff, who only joined at the start of the season has been pinched by Zagłębie Lubin. Gutted, however got £66K in compensation for him.

image.png?w=1024

ON THE PITCH

Winter Preseason saw us take on a number of B or U23 sides from Europe. In the five games we played, we didn't lose so I am very happy how the new players and current players performed.

• Beat Atalanta U23 6-0.
  • Beat PSG 2 4-0.
  • Drew to Celtic B 1-1.
  • Beat Juventus New Gen 4-2.
  • Drew to Jong Ajax 2-2.

FINAL WORDS

All updates on this series will be posted on here and on the FM Career Updates on the Sports Interactive Community forum page… In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback, questions and don’t forget to subscribe and hit the like button. All previous FM blogs can be found here and you can follow me over on X here

(FM24) Knights of Spring – ŁKS Łódź: Part Four

slide1-2.jpg?w=1024

Welcome back to the latest chapter of the FM24 blog series called ‘Knights of Spring’ (‘Rycerze Wiosny‘). A nickname given to ŁKS Łódź due to their usually strong performances after the winter break in the league. If you missed the last chapter, please catch it here: (FM24) Knights of Spring – ŁKS Łódź: Part Three

ON THE PITCH

In February saw the Knight of Spring pick up 7 points out of a possible 9. The main talking point was in the second match in this month as it was the Łódź derby and we had a score to settle as they beat us earlier in the season. Before that we beat Korona Kielce 3-1. Then it was the home tie against fierce rivals Widzew Łódź with Brazilian forward Weverton scoring twice in the 3-0 victory over them which brought up 11 games unbeaten. We made it 12 as we drew against Pogoń Szczecin before making it 13 games in the first match in March against bottom of the league Puszcza Niepolomice 2-0. Our unbeaten streak came to an end in the 1-0 defeat to Warta Poznań who are battling it out for survival. We managed somehow to pinch a late draw against top of the league Raków Częstochowa in the 1-1 fixture before ending the month with a 3-1 win over Jagiellonia Białystok, thanks to a brace by Weverton. In April, saw us lose for the very last time this season to eventual runners-up in the league Lech Poznań 2-1. Our January signing Weverton was yet again amongst the goals as he got another brace in the 4-2 win over Cracovia, a single goal in the games against Radomiak Radom and Górnik Zabrze as we looked to enter the race for Europa Conference League places going into our final four games of the season. So, the final month is here, May...The chance of European football is in our hands and we started of brightly with a 2-1 win over Śląsk Wrocław before a slight stumble but drawing games against Piast Gliwice and Zagłębie Lubin 0-0 and 4-4 respectively. Our final game was against mid-table side Stal Mielec and knowing we had to win to make sure of that 3rd place finish the Knights of Spring didn't let me down as Marcin Flis and Enzo Martinez our two defenders scored to win the match 2-1 and gave us that 3rd place finish.

image-1.png?w=1007

Table

At start of the season, we were predicted by many to be in a relegation battle and they were so wrong. Our strong performance during the season and a couple additions in January saw us end the season in 3rd place and a chance in Europe too.

image-2.png?w=1024

OFF THE PITCH

Our budget is in and a healthy £1.91M in the transfer budget.

image-3.png?w=1024

But, I have decided that I want to start scouting more and push a bit into the scouting range and now it's the world we can cover. However, we still have £1.47M in the transfer budget and I will only be looking to bring in players for the future and maybe the odd position in the first XI as I am pretty happy with the squad at the moment going into next season.

image-4.png?w=1024

End Of Season Review

• coxie-fm_-end-of-season-review.png?w=102
  • coxie-fm_-end-of-season-review-2.png?w=1
  • coxie-fm_-end-of-season-review-3.png?w=1
  • coxie-fm_-end-of-season-review-4.png?w=1
  • coxie-fm_-end-of-season-review-5.png?w=1
  • coxie-fm_-end-of-season-review-6.png?w=1
  • coxie-fm_-end-of-season-review-7.png?w=1
  • coxie-fm_-end-of-season-review-8.png?w=1

FINAL WORDS

All updates on this series will be posted on here and on the FM Career Updates on the Sports Interactive Community forum page… In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback, questions and don’t forget to subscribe and hit the like button. All previous FM blogs can be found here and you can follow me over on X here