FM24 Database with Pre-Bosman Ruling Foreign Player Limits

AFCA-CBS

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an FM24 database where there is a maximum of 3 foreign players per team in every league, similar to the rules before the Bosman ruling in the 90s. I know this question has been asked in previous FM editions, but I'm hoping someone might have taken on the heavy task of creating such a database.

I'm hesitant to try it myself in the advanced editor mode, as I've heard it takes a lot of time to implement this rule in every league. Does anyone happen to have such a database available or have any tips on how I can best tackle this?

Cheers,
AFCA-CBS

Here's the issue as I see it, I stand to be corrected, however. Whilst you can introduce the 3 foreign player limit easy enough, I do believe the AI manager will not pay attention to it in the transfer market. So you would have a situation where some AI squads would still be full of foreign players and many of them not playing at all due to the 3 player limit for the matches. This was what happened when I had the 3 foreign player rule in place for my 80s euros comps. Many top players would just end up watching the European matches from the sidelines. Sort of defeated the purpose of having the rule, as that undermined the competitions and the AI would still not focus on home grown talent. 

@Wolf_pd would be the man that could put me straight on that though. 

53 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Here's the issue as I see it, I stand to be corrected, however. Whilst you can introduce the 3 foreign player limit easy enough, I do believe the AI manager will not pay attention to it in the transfer market. So you would have a situation where some AI squads would still be full of foreign players and many of them not playing at all due to the 3 player limit for the matches. This was what happened when I had the 3 foreign player rule in place for my 80s euros comps. Many top players would just end up watching the European matches from the sidelines. Sort of defeated the purpose of having the rule, as that undermined the competitions and the AI would still not focus on home grown talent. 

@Wolf_pd would be the man that could put me straight on that though. 

You are mostly correct. If you only set the three player limit for the matchsquad for your national competition and cup matches, the game will say, OK, so I can play players? Sure, but I will make sure I still have all the best players I can get. You can still end up with 6-10 foreign players that way. That's why I also set the 3 player limit for the complete squad. This works reasonably well, but also needs you to clean up squads. Otherwise the players just get stuck in their teams.

Just adding to this...teams will adjust over time as transfers happen and squads are refreshed naturally. AI clubs are aware of registration restrictions when buying players. What does not happen is the AI actively adjusting their current squad to reflect the new rules. They will just leave foreign players out of squads until they get grumpy and demand to leave, which can take a long time at high reputation clubs.

Another complication is that non-English players at Premier League clubs who had 'settled status' in FM23 have been given English nationality in FM24. Nationality rules in other countries (notably Portugal and Spain) can also undermine the intention of the restrictions.

Edited by NineCloudNine

On 07/08/2024 at 20:59, NineCloudNine said:

Just adding to this...teams will adjust over time as transfers happen and squads are refreshed naturally. AI clubs are aware of registration restrictions when buying players. What does not happen is the AI actively adjusting their current squad to reflect the new rules. They will just leave foreign players out of squads until they get grumpy and demand to leave, which can take a long time at high reputation clubs.

Another complication is that non-English players at Premier League clubs who had 'settled status' in FM23 have been given English nationality in FM24. Nationality rules in other countries (notably Portugal and Spain) can also undermine the intention of the restrictions.

That's why you need to clean up teams (lots of work), but also are advised to change eligibility rules and time to gain nationality.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2024 at 07:15, Mattyboy1976 said:

Perhaps also it would be a good idea to change transfer preferences in countries so that most players purchased are home nation players?

I’ve done this and tbh I haven’t noticed an obvious difference. Clubs recruit primarily on current reputation and do so from the pool of players available in the save, which is in turn dictated by what leagues are active. Limiting active leagues to those countries you want clubs to recruit from is by far the most effective way to constrain transfer activity to certain countries/nationalities.