What is the pressing output of different forward types?

My question is pretty much what it says on the tin really! I've just signed a new striker and pressing forward doesn't look like his best role. I wondered about changing his role to complete forward or advanced forward but, before I do that, I wondered how much effect it will have on his pressing effort at the spearhead of the team!

I must admit that Pressing Forward is a bit of a mystery to me. I played half of a season with Retegui as a PF(A/S). And he was one of my player that pressed the less. My wingers and my 10 pressed a lot more. I kinda like what a PF does while in possession, but I never saw the behavior expected from a role named Pressing Forward.

And Retegui has all the attributes to press a lot.

45 minutes ago, Delial said:

I must admit that Pressing Forward is a bit of a mystery to me. I played half of a season with Retegui as a PF(A/S). And he was one of my player that pressed the less. My wingers and my 10 pressed a lot more. I kinda like what a PF does while in possession, but I never saw the behavior expected from a role named Pressing Forward.

Post your system? Roles operate only in the context for which you put them in. 

2 hours ago, RaySunshine said:

My question is pretty much what it says on the tin really! I've just signed a new striker and pressing forward doesn't look like his best role. I wondered about changing his role to complete forward or advanced forward but, before I do that, I wondered how much effect it will have on his pressing effort at the spearhead of the team!

All three roles offer a spearheading option via the attack role.

A pressing forward won't just sit on the oppositions shoulder like an AF forward will, as he will also charge around pressing. A CF is a much more demanding role compared to a PF, who can function quite well with a limited attribute spread. 

6 hours ago, RaySunshine said:

What would you look for in a complete forward? In my head, the role sounds like peak Harry Kane which, as spurs have proved over the last season, not many strikers can do!

Kane is probably a DLF(a). A CF(a) needs to be able to run in behind and run with the ball as well! Imo Kane is a weird player IRL because he has a great passing range and poaching ability, but lacks the ability to hold up the ball/contest aerially which is a key point of a classical DLF. I'm not sure if that's represented well in game though :thup:

Isak is a nice example of a CF(a), but he is a bit of a unicorn in the modern game. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 31/07/2024 at 22:54, Delial said:

A pressing forward blocks passing lanes first, then presses if he can.

On 01/08/2024 at 02:14, Cloud9 said:

but lacks the ability to hold up the ball/contest aerially which is a key point of a classical DLF.

That's a target man, not a dlf.

3 hours ago, Poison said:

That's a target man, not a dlf.

Actually both roles are required to hold up the ball. It’s one of the key differences between a F9 and a DLF!

Edited by Cloud9