(FM 2024) Started from the bottom, now we are here. (A journeyman save): Unemployed (ENDED)

2 minutes ago, lewis1792 said:

This is getting close to hall of fame worth now tbf. I for one have been enjoying the ride.

I am definitely doing my best to achieve success. It is not for a lack of trying. It takes time to build a club in my image and unfortunately it is a results business. I have been definitely trying many different things to achieve success. I hope something sticks.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After being out of a job for 6 and a half months, I now have a new job. And this time I am the manager of the Zimbabwe National Team. It was a very interesting opportunity that presented itself. This is what the squad looks like. It is a squad sprinkled with some good players and while it may not quite be the top club I am looking for where I can get easy wins at first, I hope some of the star quality in the squad can help us win matches. All things considered, this was the best project presented to me at the moment that I came across. The tactic I will be using is a 4-4-2 Gegenpress.

Screenshot 2024-08-17 161302.png

Screenshot 2024-08-17 161329.png

Screenshot 2024-08-17 161440.png

Screenshot 2024-08-17 161503.png

Screenshot 2024-08-17 161613.png

Screenshot 2024-08-17 161636.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 4: Zimbabwe National Team (After the project in Chinese Football did not go to plan, this was the best possible opportunity that came across)
3 minutes ago, Sahaj Oberoi said:

These are the expectations.

Screenshot 2024-08-17 164719.png

Whats the group like that you have been drawn into? - Also will yu be looking to manage a club, or you going to just do the national team for abit?

3 minutes ago, JawZy said:

Whats the group like that you have been drawn into? - Also will yu be looking to manage a club, or you going to just do the national team for abit?

Don't know about the group yet. I will stay on as Zimbabwe National Team manager until I get a better job offer or get sacked.

4 minutes ago, lewis1792 said:

If anyone can do it...

Nah, I am looking to build some stability and create a good team. The sackings aren't intentional like Mourinho's third season syndrome. :lol:

I obviously don't know the history of the OP so I might be wrong to say: why won't people give him a break?

Even though this isn't a style of career report that I would follow, it still is a nice change to the normal when someone is actually struggling and getting sacked. This is also in my opinion way closer to what gameplay on FM should be compared to what it currently is. 

I personally don't see it anything interesting when people try and max out the results and significantly over achieve. If this story would be written in more detail and would be in football nations that interest me personally, I would much rather follow a career update like this than yet another success story. 

So to the OP: the best of luck and keep on writing. 

40 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

I obviously don't know the history of the OP so I might be wrong to say: why won't people give him a break?

Even though this isn't a style of career report that I would follow, it still is a nice change to the normal when someone is actually struggling and getting sacked. This is also in my opinion way closer to what gameplay on FM should be compared to what it currently is. 

I personally don't see it anything interesting when people try and max out the results and significantly over achieve. If this story would be written in more detail and would be in football nations that interest me personally, I would much rather follow a career update like this than yet another success story. 

So to the OP: the best of luck and keep on writing. 

Thank you very much. Success feels sweeter when it is organic and when you navigate the ups and downs of a career in football management on the game. Yes, the easy way out would have been to start at a big club, sign all the best players and wonderkids and win all the time. This is why games like EA FC 2024 for me have lost that appeal, because within 3 or 4 seasons you can dominate in football with smart signings. In any version of FM, the results are more varied and a lot of things can happen, it requires thinking from the player and you are in a constant "thinking mode" in order to outsmart the CPU. Especially when you are trying to build something at a club or you are managing a country and trying to create that long term legacy. I don't want to be another ten Hag who just bumbles around at a big club by scraping through getting enough results while abandoning my style of play. This may sound like a strange thing to say, but I like how Vincent Kompany stuck to his principles, even though Burnley got relegated in real life. He landed the Bayern Munich job because he has a style that he believes in and that is admirable.

9 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

Great way to start your international management in Zimbabwe! I wonder what happened to your former team that you use to manage. Can't wait to see your progress in Zimbabwe!

Thank you. My former team sacked me after 16 league games as we were bottom of the league.

11 hours ago, Sahaj Oberoi said:

Thank you. My former team sacked me after 16 league games as we were bottom of the league.

Oh, interesting, but how how does it looked like in their current season where what is their current league and standings?

1 hour ago, sherwinriga said:

Oh, interesting, but how how does it looked like in their current season where what is their current league and standings?

They all got relegated to non playable leagues on my save.

2 hours ago, Sahaj Oberoi said:

They all got relegated to non playable leagues on my save.

Oh, that's not good for them. Well, I hope that you'll get a new club to manage in the next season. This might be difficult to manage depending on how good the league is.

5 hours ago, sherwinriga said:

Oh, that's not good for them. Well, I hope that you'll get a new club to manage in the next season. This might be difficult to manage depending on how good the league is.

Yeah I hope I do well with Zimbabwe first.

Posted (edited)

2 wins out 2 in the African Nations Qualifiers. It is time to kick on to the next level and build momentum with Zimbabwe. Also on the save Argentina won the 2026 World Cup.

Screenshot 2024-08-18 123148.png

Screenshot 2024-08-19 223607.png

Edited by Sahaj Oberoi

Couple of losses, but we will be fine. We still have a chance to qualify for the African Cup of Nations. This team seems to suit me and we are doing well here as the Zimbabwe National Team manager.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 101129.png

Knocked out of the African Championship of Nations by Angola. Well, we ultimately could have done better, but we move on. It has been decent at Zimbabwe so far and we are slowly progressing as a nation.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 195051.png

We lost to Eritrea in a friendly. Also Ivory Coast won the 2028 AFCON. We need some wins and we need to do something in the World Cup qualifiers. I have been in the Zimbabwe job for just over 2 years now on the save.

Screenshot 2024-08-22 141037.png

Screenshot 2024-08-22 195628.png

We started off with another African Cup of Nations qualifier games this September and October, two contrasting results, we definitely have the potential to make it to the tournament. We have been Zimbabwe manager for just over two and a half years now and we are doing well. Also England won Euro 2028 on the save.

Screenshot 2024-08-24 130705.png

Screenshot 2024-08-24 195106.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 4: Zimbabwe National Team (Haven't had this stability in a long time)

The November international break did not quite go to plan and we need a miracle to qualify for the African Cup of Nations as we need to beat Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast in our next two fixtures.

Screenshot 2024-08-24 215028.png

I have resigned as Zimbabwe manager after nearly 3 years in charge of them. I really enjoyed the project and I am glad that I built something. The reason I resigned is because my favourite club, Chelsea sacked their manager, Mauricio Pochettino on the save. I applied for the job. I am unlikely to get it but it has turned my head and I thought it was the correct time to leave the Zimbabwe National Team.

Screenshot 2024-08-24 221436.png

Screenshot 2024-08-24 221511.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Unemployed

I have a new job, I am now the manager of Al Dhaid in the UAE First Division. We have a transfer budget of 2 million pounds so we can do something. This is what the squad looks like. First we have to avoid relegation and then we can plan on progressing the club.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 103332.png

Screenshot 2024-08-25 103426.png

Screenshot 2024-08-25 103528.png

Screenshot 2024-08-25 103556.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 5: Al Dhaid (Managing at a club close to my dad's office in real life having those shawarmas)

The tactic we will be using are a variation of formations with the Gegenpress style. It was successful when I was the Zimbabwe manager and I stayed as Zimbabwe manager for nearly 3 years, so I might as well continue with what made my previous team successful and implement this Gegenpress style onto this team.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 104228.png

The January transfer window has now ended at Al Dhaid and we bought 4 main players to help us avoid relegation. Tim Pfieffer came from Chemnitz in Germany for 6k pounds. Naldo came from Brazilian club JOI on a free transfer. Rashed Abdulla came from UAE based club Al Jazira Al Hamra for 26.5k pounds. Vanderlei Jose came from Brazilian club Jacyoba on a free transfer.

George Anyanwu went to Dakkada and Bilal Chabbadi went to Al Nujoom on loan.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 133748.png

End of season review.

Finally some success at club level. We helped Al Dhaid avoid relegation from the UAE First Division. I stuck with the tactic which served me so well as Zimbabwe manager. I played a Gegenpress tactic with a 4-3-3 formation and it worked. I am thrilled for everyone at Al Dhaid, they worked so hard in the final 10 games. We got 17 points from 10 games as we lifted ourselves from the bottom of the league to finish in 11th position out of 16 teams. Probably if I keep saving teams like that from relegation I will get those relegation firefighting jobs. But yes, also I have an end of season squad report. I hope I can achieve more success.

Screenshot 2024-08-26 000201.png

Screenshot 2024-08-26 000243.png

Screenshot 2024-08-26 000333.png

Screenshot 2024-08-26 000358.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 5: Al Dhaid (I survived in the relegation battle, maybe UAE is the place for me)

This is how the summer transfer window went. Majority of the players displayed are youngsters signed by the board. But I will tell you the signings that were mine.

Ahmed Al Shamsi signed from Al Taawon FC for 63k pounds. Mohammed Al Buloshi signed for the club from Al Wahda (UAE) on a free transfer. Nejc Levec signed from Al Arabi (UAE) for 125k pounds. Essa Surour signed from Laval United on a free transfer. Luis Mendes signed from AVS SAD for 49.5k pounds. Faisal Al Shamsi joined the club on a free transfer. Sebastian Moya signed from Deportes Linares on a free transfer. Ourinhos joined from Motril for 24k pounds. Mohamed Kiza joined from Masafi on loan. Cavafe joined from La Habana on a free transfer. 

Notable departures include Alhassane Tamboura to CO Bamako for 1.4k pounds, Saeed Saeed to Punjab FC for 22k pounds, David to Al Baynounah for 7k pounds, three players, Uzor Akonnah, Ali Hassan Al Qallaf and Mohamad Ibrahim to Gulf FC on free transfers. Zach Verhoven went to Al Arabi (UAE) on a free. Essa Surour went to United Sports on loan. Saoud Obaid went to Al Jazira Al Hamra for 375 pounds. 

Adel Al Chadli went on a short loan but he was recalled.

Screenshot 2024-08-26 183722.png

Screenshot 2024-08-26 183749.png

Screenshot 2024-08-26 184133.png

Screenshot 2024-08-26 184804.png

Mid season review (2029-30 season)

We have finally properly turned a corner on this save. My Al Dhaid side in the UAE First Division is fighting for promotion to the UAE Pro League and we are 3rd in the league after getting 30 points from 16 games. I am really thrilled to see my management style finally clicking. I have used the Gegenpress tactic since my time at the Zimbabwe National Team and have not looked back ever since. Finally my patience is paying dividends.

Screenshot 2024-08-27 012740.png

Screenshot 2024-08-27 012808.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 5: Al Dhaid (Promotion to the UAE Pro League?)

This message has made me reconsider my decision to stay at Al Dhaid. The owner is not willing to invest after winning the elections. So I decided to resign. It was good. I was there for nearly a year and I managed to enhance my managerial reputation. I left the club in 5th place in the UAE First Division after saving them from relegation last season. It was a good rehabilitation job and I am happy with my impact at the club.

Screenshot 2024-08-27 124116.png

Screenshot 2024-08-27 124310.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Unemployed

I now have a new job. And it is in Italy. I have moved from the UAE to Serie C club Latina. I am thrilled to be a part of the project and the idea is to build the club from the ground up. I am once again going with my tried and tested Gegenpress tactic that has worked so well for me. This is the most appealing project that I came across and I wanted a slightly big club compared to the project clubs in emerging countries. Italy is the perfect place to enhance my managerial career and I am delighted to be here. This is what the squad looks like.

Screenshot 2024-08-27 145159.png

Screenshot 2024-08-27 145236.png

Screenshot 2024-08-27 145428.png

Screenshot 2024-08-27 145457.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 6: Latina (Emulating the Maurizio Sarri journey perhaps)
  • Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 6: Latina (Only time will tell whether I am the new Maurizio Sarri or the relegation rescuer Davide Nicola)

I got sacked by Latina. But managing to coach in Italy is a huge honour. Regardless of how it went I am pleased with the experience I have gained. In terms of my next job, I will assess all my options available and choose my next job.

Screenshot 2024-08-28 191537.png

Screenshot 2024-08-28 191610.png

Screenshot 2024-08-28 191645.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Unemployed (Possibly need another rehabilitation job)

So I have a new job. I have got a job in England. And the club I am managing currently is Woking. This is what the squad looks like and this is the tactic I will use. Also on the save, Italy won the 2030 World Cup.

Screenshot 2024-08-29 124935.png

Screenshot 2024-08-29 152617.png

Screenshot 2024-08-29 152704.png

Screenshot 2024-08-29 152841.png

Screenshot 2024-08-29 152913.png

Screenshot 2024-08-29 153305.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 7: Woking (The rehabilitation job I probably need)

Mid season update.

We made a very good start, I am well on my way to avoid relegation with Woking and our team has clicked and if we keep this rate of performances we will comfortably avoid relegation and possibly be in mid table. The rehabilitation after my ill fated spell at Latina is on. But the good news is that I have got recognition from countries like Italy and England and I am getting jobs in those countries when I was previously not getting it. So that is an improvement.

Screenshot 2024-08-31 153201.png

Screenshot 2024-08-31 153228.png

• Sahaj Oberoi changed the title to (FM 2024) Started from the bottom now we are here (A journeyman save): Job 7: Woking (The recovery is on, on the quest of progressing Woking incrementally)
On 28/08/2024 at 23:19, Sahaj Oberoi said:

I got sacked by Latina. But managing to coach in Italy is a huge honour. Regardless of how it went I am pleased with the experience I have gained. In terms of my next job, I will assess all my options available and choose my next job.

Screenshot 2024-08-28 191537.png

Screenshot 2024-08-28 191610.png

Screenshot 2024-08-28 191645.png

Wow! You got fired from your previous team before heading into United Kingdom to get hired by Working. That was not expected to see that coming. I wonder what happened to Latina after you got fired and who they replace you. As far as I know, you should have posted the picture of the current manager of your former teams so that I want to know how they're working when you're no longer with them.