Do unwinnable matches exist?

I'm in my third season with Inter Milan, in an away game vs Man City in the UCL. I have one of the best (if not the best) squads itw, and yet still i'm always losing by 2 or more goals, and I simply CAN'T SHOOT. I've tried attacking, defensive, cautious and even balanced tactics, yet still nothing seems to work. How do I upload my tactics for u guys to help me?

Ok. Let's start with some issues.

spacer.png

====

1. Two playmakers: One is enough. And have it in central areas, not in flanks. That's because playmakers are magnet for others (your players to pass there), and if you have him in flanks; then the AI will close it down easily.

2. Team Mentality: It's not necessary to have Attacking Team Mentality in order to play attacking football. Even with Balanced mentality, you can be very attacking. Since you try to hold the ball and pass, the Attacking Mentality makes it worse.

3. Lower Defensive Line, Counter-Press and High Press + More Often: You leave big gaps and from the other hand you ask them to press more. It's not working like this. Bring Defensive Line to Standard.

9 hours ago, kaiquinho said:

I'm in my third season with Inter Milan, in an away game vs Man City in the UCL. I have one of the best (if not the best) squads itw, and yet still i'm always losing by 2 or more goals, and I simply CAN'T SHOOT. I've tried attacking, defensive, cautious and even balanced tactics, yet still nothing seems to work. How do I upload my tactics for u guys to help me?

Did I understand it correctly: you are re-playing the same game in an attempt to win it? 

To the question itself: it is really hard to say if there are unwinnable games. Maybe if you put a non-league team against Manchester City's best possible team in an away game, this could be a scenario that no-one would be able to overcome. 

But when talking about two professional teams, I'd definitely say no. Even without using meta tactics, every game is winnable in these circumstances. 

1 hour ago, fc.cadoni said:

Ok. Let's start with some issues.

spacer.png

====

1. Two playmakers: One is enough. And have it in central areas, not in flanks. That's because playmakers are magnet for others (your players to pass there), and if you have him in flanks; then the AI will close it down easily.

2. Team Mentality: It's not necessary to have Attacking Team Mentality in order to play attacking football. Even with Balanced mentality, you can be very attacking. Since you try to hold the ball and pass, the Attacking Mentality makes it worse.

3. Lower Defensive Line, Counter-Press and High Press + More Often: You leave big gaps and from the other hand you ask them to press more. It's not working like this. Bring Defensive Line to Standard.

Point 2 and 3 are true, point 1 is completely false though. You can have more than 2 playmakers but you need to space them a bit otherwise you don't give them enough space to shine. Also it's perfectly fine to have playmakers on the wings as they will have more space to breath, it's also completely false to say the AI will close them down easily. I remember using a tactic made by @Novem9 with an AP-s on the wing which spelled all kinds of trouble to the AI, exactly because when the AI tried closing him down they left tons of space for the other players to shine and the AP would rarely loose the ball. 

I think the bigger issue here might be what formation and roles is Man City using? In FM, you are not just playing in vacuum. I'm guessing that they might be doing something that's countering your formation rather nicely.

I feel you are having problems both in possession and out of possession because of certain instructions and player roles.

In possession: Much shorter passing, dribble less and slightly lower tempo + Advanded Forward(a), Winger(a) and Central Midfielder(a)

Those player roles won't help you a lot with the build-up and combinative play you are asking your team to do. They are runners, they are making runs in behind and the team instructinos are removing almost all the direct balls.

You are killing the directness of your team. AND you are playing against Manchester City who is very good when pressing high. The best scenario for a high pressing system is an opposition that will take a lot of time with the ball and almost never go direct.

MUCH shorter passing heavily increses the tendency of your team to make more short and lateral passes. Slower tempo aks them to take their time when on the ball and by asking them to dribble less you reduce another chance to advance the ball.

Out of possession: Lower defensive line + high press + more often trigger press + BWM
The high press ask your forward and midfield line to be more advanced and start the press higher up the pitch. Lower defensive line ask the defensive line to retreat a few yards. Almost all teams in the world try to reduce space between the lines, with this instructions you are incrementing it. Having a defensive midfielder may help to close that gap between the line but you are using a BWM who are more chasers of the ball and tend to leave position more often than an Anchor for example.

I would just keep all the players roles and chop all the in-possession instructions and remove the lower defensive line.

Edited by bosque