Westfield AFC — You Can’t Win Anything With Kids

jrobertgordon13

The Westfield Journal - The Welling United Situation

It has now been confirmed that Welling United, entering their 8th season in the Conference South, have chosen to relocate the club over what the owner has described as “financial difficulties and lack of support among the community of Welling.” This has led to the club being quickly (albeit maybe too quickly) relocated to Westfield, a neighborhood located near Woking. The club has, of course, also gone under a rebrand, changing their name to Westfield AFC. Entering their first season in their new identity, the team has made the decision to hire local pub frequenter Harry Glover to take the reigns of the shaking ship that is the current state of Westfield AFC, Welling United, or whatever you wish to call it. It is said that Glover got the job because of his constant complaints about how he’s a competent football manager  at a local pub in Westfield, citing his Football Manager experience. Many have called into question Glover’s supreme lack of quality in any sort of legitimate footballing experience, but it remains to be seen if this will translate to a failure or surprise success for Westfield AFC.

Well, I’ve finally arrived on the grounds of Westfield AFC. Or rather, Westfield FC. We play at Woking Park since the relocation was very sudden. We’ll probably be staying there for a while as the city council don’t want to lend us a bone in building a new stadium, citing the clubs lack of effort to appeal to the locals. I will admit, I haven’t seen any sort of enthusiasm for our club, which is very sad to say the least. Our local rivals, other than the “other” guys in town, are Woking FC. I don’t know much about them to be honest. Hopefully we don’t get destroyed by them. The reason I say it like that is because many of our players have decided to leave due to not wanting to relocate to Woking. Therefore many of our star players are gone. Fun. I’ll be trying to build the club over the next couple of weeks to at least be somewhat back on its feet.

P.S. The bar story is true, although I’m disappointed they made it the shining example of my incompetency. To be honest, don’t even know why I was hired, but I’m glad to take it.

I have apparently been told by the board to not sign players 19 years of age or older. Considering that we already don’t have much talent left, I can only imagine how this train wreck of a season is going to go. At least I have some time to sign some youngsters to our club before the league season starts. 

Westfield AFC - Jul 3 2023

So remember when I mentioned the lack of players that stayed? Well, it turns out that only three players chose to remain with our club for the upcoming season. Those being Cameron Andrews, TJ Bramble, and Lewis White. Everyone else chose to leave. So, how did we fix this? Well, I decided to bring in players from the local area. The best of those being Jonty Moore and Magnus Colbert. So, before I have made any transfers, here’s a look at our team:

GK - Leon Roberts

A youngster who moved in from Wales a couple months back, he has certainly got much to learn in terms of how to play between the sticks. Currently my assistant thinks he’s the worst starter in the club, so bringing in a goalkeeper is going to be a big goal for this upcoming season.

DR - Magnus Colbert

Despite having some pretty good ability, he apparently isn’t all that trained at playing wingback. It remains to be seen how this will translate to on-the-field performance.

DCR - Colman Coustrain

Out of all of the youngsters he seems to be one of the more qualified ones I suppose.

DCL - Jaydn Dundas

Another pretty good youngster considering the rest of the squad, however not necessarily a standout by any means

DL - Kieran Howard

A Welling-born player, has some good physical attributes but still not a standout or anything.

DMCR - TJ Bramble

The former player for Gillingham and Dover will likely be one of our standout players. Looking at his attributes the best ones seem to be his marking and passing. His physicals seem very good as well. 

DMCL - Cameron Andrews

Unlike Bramble who joined this season, Andrews at the very least has some experience with Welling, joining in 2021/22 from the youth ranks. He has only ever gotten 8 appearances for Welling United, so maybe calling it “experience” is a bit of a stretch

AMR - Carl Morris

While he doesn’t look like much with only 1 star CA, I do believe some of his attributes are pretty good. Mainly his Technique and Work Rate.

AML - Daniel Gustafson

One of our most questionable starters, he relocated here from Sunne in Sweden a couple years ago. He apparently only started to play the game of football one year back although played it a bit in Sweden as a kid.

ST - Lewis White

Even though by most accounts White plays best as a winger, it seems that he has found himself playing at striker due to our current lack of strikers, with the only two being our starting strikers at the moment. Hopefully we can move him back to winger soon enough and get a new striker in.

ST - Jonathan Thomas

Another youngster who isn’t all that good, although because of the aforementioned lack of strikers problem he may still be playing as our starter by the beginning of the season.

Overall, this squad is looking mighty weak for our first season in a new location. No wonder why no one wants to see us play! Actually, maybe I shouldn’t scream that out, just in case the owners hear me. Anyway, now the fun begins… (also known as the Transfer Window)

I just realized I forgot to promote the players up from the U21s. Of course, when I did that, I found out that we actually do have a better GK… how fun. Alas, I’ll update it when we get to the first friendly. But for now, just know that the keeper written above is not the goalkeeper that will be starting in our first season (hopefully not, since his goalkeeping skills are absolute rubbish)