4-3-3 Possession

Need some help with getting more out of my tactic. Scoring is going fine, been helped out from Bruno with 22in 40 goals across the season, next is on 13 in 39 from Hojlund and Rashford 10 in 42. Would like more out of the main striker Hojlund has only managed a 7.0 or above 5 times in last 20 games he's played. Feel more could be used from the ST but form is too up and more down

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

image_2024-08-11_203103578.thumb.png.0b2430a0fdf0ea06c3c966574f396d06.png

Edited by Chapman7

7 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

You have noone providing width on the left flank. Or are you telling your IW to stay wider?

With both the Mez and BBM moving up into the am tier through positional play, the IW automatically stays wider no?

5 hours ago, Kevinho7 said:

With both the Mez and BBM moving up into the am tier through positional play, the IW automatically stays wider no?

It does somewhat but it's not really enough, especially if he is playing an opposite foot player there. He would need to instruct the player to stay wider and use player with same preferred foot as flank to achieve any sort of significant width.

@Kevinho - for what it's worth, I am running a fairly similar 4-3-3 and my CM(A) is as prolific as the AF(A) and I see it as a natural outcome in matches we dominate (from a possession standpoint). The opposition is pushed back and it's too crowded in there for the AF to find space to score, but the AFs movement occupies the CBs and more often than not the CM(A) (and in your case, the MEZ) finds the space the clears up for a scoring chance. 

What I find is that my AF tends to score more when we send an early ball in. So if you want your striker to score more - what I sometimes do is: 

• Remove the "work ball in box" instruction (I sometimes offset that with a reduced mentality) 
  • Remove the "hold shape" 

Mind you - I realize there will be a trade off with possession and not saying it'll improve winning, just that in my experience the AF(A) tends to score more when we're not pinning the opposition as far back and are less patient in transition ... 

Being top of the league then it isn't a big issue, as long as someone is scoring like a striker I don't think it matters. Hojlund is still doing his bit, but as pointed out there's ways to get more goals from him it might mean Fernandes scores less though. How about trying him as a DLF(A)? It might allow him to find more space to score & also help others score more.

On 11/08/2024 at 23:27, crusadertsar said:

You have noone providing width on the left flank. Or are you telling your IW to stay wider?

I did have stay wider on the Left side winger. Did go with a Winger - Attack on the left and Winger- Support on right. 

Did make a tweek to my tactic and seems to paid off should probably done sooner! 

Seem to be more positive performance from Hojlund taking more than a shot and scoring along with playing well.ManchesterUnited_Overview-3.png.e8db82e62de543cd166589ccf8e37edc.pngManchesterUnited_LastMatch.png.67cd0a021447cdb0729eec623a7b02cf.png

• 4 weeks later...

Had to restart my save. Become corrupted one time I went to load it.

Was thinking with Hojlund having shoot with power do we feel this is a negative trait for him to score more? Got Hojlund with 20% shoot acc 0 goals in 5(7) and loaned Milik in last day and he has 50% shot accuracy in 8(4) with 5 goals. 

To me, focus play through the middle, work ball into the box, and shorter passing conflict with the winger roles. I feel like wingers are adept at dribbling, crossing, and fast/direct play -- essentially the opposite of the team instructions you are providing. I think an inside forward on the left would make a lot more sense and pair well with Shaw as a WB.