Hopefully something that's going to be improved in FM25

I think one of the most annoying aspects of FM24 (and previous versions) is when you need to rest a star player to keep them fresh for an upcoming big match. They have the "Needs a rest" marker, you tell them that you're going rest them, they agree. You even rest them from training for 2-3 days.
Then on match day they and others are upset that he's been left out. Following the match you have a meeting with them because they're unhappy with their playing time but "You need to be rested from time to time when we have important matches" or "Squad rotation is important to keep other players fit and ready in case you get injured" aren't options. End result, unhappy players, loss of form, big offer comes in, player's lost confidence in you and they're off.

This just wouldn't happen in real life unless the player was a total a-hole but it's happening with players who have good temperament figures too. We could also do with a "You're constantly getting booked which is affecting your playing time" too.

There are loads of threads on this with tips on how to avoid / manage it.

If you get the ‘needs a rest’ icon then you’ve already messed up. You should be rotating, resting & managing training better. It’s not easy, but it shouldn’t be - managing squad fitness and playing time happiness is an absolutely core part of the manager’s job.

If a player "Needs a rest" I never tell them I am resting them and drop them for the next game, in my experience that is asking for trouble.

I just send them on holiday for a week, if they need to be fit for the next game I rest them from training for the time in between the games, that is a short term fix that works for me without upsetting the poor darlings.

I don't mean to be critical, but as NineCloudNine says, the problem requires better management.