You should be able to go to your DOF

1 hour ago, CryingKuffour said:

Ridiculous that this isn't in already.

I would have agreed if you had a DoF in the game and you couldn't do that. Fortunately, this is in the game. 

In the game, you can go to your DoF and request his/her suggestion of a list of players available for Transfer, Loan, End of Contract or Free Transfer. You can also select which position (and role, if you want) you specifically would want to target. You can do this more than once, to get suggestions for different positions/roles.

It falls under the Transfer section.

• 2 weeks later...

But the DOF will only give three options per request and they often seem to bear no relation to the transfer philosophy of the club,  You can set up a scouting assignment with some very detailed criteria and then use the results to set transfer targets for specific players which kind of gives you the result that you are looking for.

On 22/08/2024 at 10:27, CryingKuffour said:

And tell him you need a player for a certain position

This is why you have scouts and scouting assignments. It's not the DOF's job to do this. He will, however give you a few suggestions for various positions if you ask, but as alluded to above, they don't take into account your tactical shape, budget, etc. He's just giving suggestions. 

So, after you've sent the scouts away and have a list of players, THEN you can tell him which ones you want to sign. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find this not very realistic and hope it will get better in the next version. I could understand that they ask for triple wages if they really really want to get out of the club. To force a move,  but most times this happens with players that are totally fine otherwise with their situation with the club. I too try to be out in front with the contracts after the january window, but sometimes promotion hangs in the balance till the final games of the season, and sometimes it dont make sense to extend contracts if you dont know what division you are staying in. 

10 hours ago, fiskehodet said:

I find this not very realistic and hope it will get better in the next version. I could understand that they ask for triple wages if they really really want to get out of the club. To force a move,  but most times this happens with players that are totally fine otherwise with their situation with the club. I too try to be out in front with the contracts after the january window, but sometimes promotion hangs in the balance till the final games of the season, and sometimes it dont make sense to extend contracts if you dont know what division you are staying in. 

If its a player you want to keep, personally I think it shouldn't matter what division you're going to be in next season.

On 31/08/2024 at 15:26, Dagenham_Dave said:

This is why you have scouts and scouting assignments. It's not the DOF's job to do this. He will, however give you a few suggestions for various positions if you ask, but as alluded to above, they don't take into account your tactical shape, budget, etc. He's just giving suggestions. 

So, after you've sent the scouts away and have a list of players, THEN you can tell him which ones you want to sign. 

Yeah but that's not reaaally how things work in real life. DOF (and the club) usually have set philosophy and coach usually just says "we need a striker, we need a winger and 2 center backs" and then DOF will go through a list of players with scouts and make the signings. In real life coach has little to no input on the players. Unless it's the Sir Alex type of deal.

If we delegate transfers to DoF I wish we could get a screen that gives us a list of priorities - position, role, playing time. And then DoF will get you the players. Also, have the finances not tied to your board grade since you were not involved in it at all. 

I use mostly the DOF on lower league clubs, because I have a small scouting team and very low amount of scouted players usually. So I ask them for a free transfer suggestions, so I can bring those players with a trial contract to reveal faster their attributes. I also ask for transfer targets, that way I can define scout priorities to those players to reveal their attributes.

Usually I doesn't need to do it in big teams, because usually there's already a good enough squad and as the season progress the large scouting team will keep generating scout reports and reveal player attributes. Avoiding query regularly the DOF.

After talking with agent and try lower contract demands, I ask to DOF negotiate the contract with that player. After filter the initial staff and setup a solid staff team I also ask for DOF to negotiate contract with staff when their contract are on the last year

Edited by inacion

2 hours ago, inacion said:

I use mostly the DOF on lower league clubs, because I have a small scouting team and very low amount of scouted players usually. So I ask them for a free transfer suggestions, so I can bring those players with a trial contract to reveal faster their attributes. I also ask for transfer targets, that way I can define scout priorities to those players to reveal their attributes.

Usually I doesn't need to do it in big teams, because usually there's already a good enough squad and as the season progress the large scouting team will keep generating scout reports and reveal player attributes. Avoiding query regularly the DOF.

After talking with agent and try lower contract demands, I ask to DOF negotiate the contract with that player. After filter the initial staff and setup a solid staff team I also ask for DOF to negotiate contract with staff when their contract are on the last year

Good to hear you make use of the DoF.

I'm pretty use to my DoF failing in contract talks and generally being useless . Maybe I will get round to sacking him one day but the motivation to find out how is always lacking, so I guess he stays.

2 hours ago, Kickballz said:

Good to hear you make use of the DoF.

I'm pretty use to my DoF failing in contract talks and generally being useless . Maybe I will get round to sacking him one day but the motivation to find out how is always lacking, so I guess he stays.

Sometimes my DOF also fails contract negotiation, but most of the time he's able to negotiate successfully the contracts

On 17/09/2024 at 09:16, -Jef- said:

Yeah but that's not reaaally how things work in real life. DOF (and the club) usually have set philosophy and coach usually just says "we need a striker, we need a winger and 2 center backs" and then DOF will go through a list of players with scouts and make the signings

In FM, if you set your DoF to make offers for players, and you manage your squad planner well enough, he will try to fill the gaps. The better the DoF, the better the signings. Well, usually. Sometimes the AI can be a bit off with signings. Which is why I'll have the DoF make offers but I will finalise them.