How to determine which player to buy?

Could you guys share how you go about determining which players you go for? Is there any secret in your process?

I mean, we all scout the players and get them analyzed. Is it any use to keep scouting the same player, even tho it says "extensive knowledge" reached?

And lets say you do end up with 2-3 players for a specific position, all with their different pros and cons and virtually the same grading from your scouts - how do you go about to determine which one of the players you are getting?

Heres an example:

Im playing as Brighton, as a right fullback im using a IWB-S with PIs get further forward, take more risks and press less. This means I should look for a player comfortable on the ball, good passer but also - he is a part of my back 4 so he should ideally be strong defensivley as well. 

I have narrowed it down to:

image.thumb.png.74664d348ee2785b3ea4e52c51a28813.png

image.thumb.png.8ba0fa4d5fabff32d77c36927c34b9c0.png

image.thumb.png.214cf09ebffc406efba8ba45a98e7df3.png

So the logical next step is to compare the 3 to each other but Id say theere is no one that really stands out. They are all good options and they generally dont differ so much in terms of attributes. Gradit is perhaps the more solid, but for some reason he as a lower grading from my scouts AND he is 31 so he is likely to decline in the coming years.

This is a problem im constantly running into regardless of which team I manage or which position Im recruiting for. So my question is: How do I add another step in my recruitment process to further determine which players to go for?

Edited by Mutumba

A system I learned from @SteinkelssonFM excellent "Monch Masterclass" is that once I have a player identified they go on my Shortlist. They then get watched for 3 games by the scout closest to him. After that if they are still good I will put them on to my "further scouting" shortlist and get my best scout to watch them for three games. If they are still of interest my DOF(who has the best scouting attributes) will watch them for three games. 

They then go on to my bingo list where if it gets close to me wanting to buy them I will watch them play myself. That way we have watched the player multiple times through multiple scouts and through various games both home and away and vs stronger/weaker opponents.

I play without attributes masked on Musterman Iconic skin so for me the deciding factor is stats. When I play with attributes mentals for most positions are the most important factor for me even for defenders.

Edited by Dr Naysay

My approach is to scout players and filter key attributes that I want for my team. 

From there I use the scout report and see if they have anything negative that I don't want, such as injury prone or inconsistent. 

Then I'll look at the players personality and see if they're going to be a problem to the squad harmony. 

If they pass this criteria then it comes down to finances. 

Hidden attributes are key. Between two similar looking players I will choose one that is not inconsistent or afraid of big games. Even if his attributes are slightly worse. Also check how injury prone he is.

Edited by crusadertsar

• 2 weeks later...
Em 01/09/2024 em 12:08, crusadertsar disse:

Hidden attributes are key. Between two similar looking players I will choose one that is not inconsistent or afraid of big games. Even if his attributes are slightly worse. Also check how injury prone he is.

Can those negative hidden attributes change with time? Or at least the consistency one? Does mentoring help with that?

35 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Can those negative hidden attributes change with time? Or at least the consistency one? Does mentoring help with that?

18 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Yes. But very slowly.

Mentoring doesn’t affect consistency, although it can change (slowly) over time.