Can't sign out of contract players for free?

Caveat off the bat, I'm playing with Master Igor's nations packs and @Daveincid Realism mods.  I'm playing in Iraq of all places.

In other saves I have noticed that it is impossible to sign out of contract (and still with their club on month-to-month deals) youngsters from Africa for free.  I assumed that was tied to compensation, since all of these guys were at the club they trained at.   I don't think I have seen this issue from other continents, so I figured it was maybe a continental regulation.

However now, in Iraq, I am trying to sign a 27 year old Nigerian who played at a different Iraqi club last year... so training compensation shouldn't be an issue.

The club is still demanding a fee, and I cannot go ahead and negotiate a contract with him.  He should be allowed to negotiate and sign for free, no?  Am I missing something or is something bugged, and if something is bugged do we think it is from FM, or the Igor nation packs or Daveincid's realism mods?

Has anyone seen this demand for a transfer fee for an out of contract player while playing an unmodified FM?

Thanks for the help!

8 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

This will be because of the Bosman ruling. Iraq isn't in the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosman_ruling

But in the rest of the world, both in game and IRL, players can do and move wherever they please when their contracts are done, no?  Argentina, Japan, Australia, ect.  Your contract ends, and you go sign with whoever you want, no fee needed.

In another save, just the other day, a guy's Colombian club demanding a big fee for a guy in the last year of his deal, so I waited it out and got him for free as soon as his deal ended.  No transfer negotiation.

Edited by nms1987