Youth Team Squad Building

Most times that I properly dive into my youth teams, the squad builidng is horrific. Most these players need to be playing regular games, but a lot of the time I see 3 keepers, 6 CBs (for a 2CB formation) and no RB - as an example.

It's a bit of pain to sort the squads out, but just wondering if anyone else tries to do youth team management and sees this? surely the players are going to get nowhere near enough games and even have to play out of position somewhere that they're entirely unsuited to?

I always tend to release Youth players (unless they're exceptional) with bad personalities and only keep the ones with good personalities such as Model Professional, Model Citizen, Professional, Resolute, Light-Hearted, Spirited. I don't like to keep tempermental personalities and I don't think mentoring does very much to get rid youth players of their bad personalities imo.

I mean, I can't speak for everyone, but I tend to do all my saves (since FM15 really) as Youth Only/Youth-focused

• Get a HOYD / U-19 manager who plays the same formation as you, that way you shouldn't have too many out of position players (Think I've had one pure AM only player in 10 seasons)
  • When my intake comes through, I sign every player and make sure they're trained to the position I want them to play. CB better as a RB in my formation? Retrained!
  • Make sure you have a good level of affiliate to send 18 year olds on loan to.