Any luck making a successful 4141/433 -> 235 formation?

For the last 3 years in fm , I have really wanted to get working a 433 that transitions to a 235 in attack, with wingers staying wide, fbs tucking in and 2 CMS bombing forward.

in fm22 it wasn’t possible to get the shape, but fm23 up until now I can almost manage the shape but the results are terrible, it’s like the team don’t know how to play together and constantly make the wrong choices - as if the ME can’t handle it.

On 06/09/2024 at 15:59, Jack722 said:

For the last 3 years in fm , I have really wanted to get working a 433 that transitions to a 235 in attack, with wingers staying wide, fbs tucking in and 2 CMS bombing forward.

in fm22 it wasn’t possible to get the shape, but fm23 up until now I can almost manage the shape but the results are terrible, it’s like the team don’t know how to play together and constantly make the wrong choices - as if the ME can’t handle it.

Why don't you pop up what you have done so far and what the issues are. I personally have a 3 2 5 in build up play and 235 shouldn't be too hard to make  but it's asking a heck of a lot of your two defenders if you turn the ball over and get countered quickly. Personally I would only attempt to use that against weak teams that I'm struggling to break down but I am quite risk averse.

I'm going to assume you are using inverted wingbacks and a holding DM in between them, while giving your two central midfielders attacking roles (ex. MEZ(a) or CM(a)). If that is the case then you will need a lot of quality from the wingbacks and be very deliberate with how they can help. Are they just going to sit back and ping through balls? If so then they need to have passing, vision, and technique (not common for fullbacks). Are you going to give one of them an IWB(a) role? If so then they better have strong off the ball, acceleration, and finishing/long shots attributes (also not common). Personally, I only occasionally see inverted wingbacks contribute in meaningful ways -- and generally those are IWB(a) roles. The IWB(s) and IWB(d) I have tried do very little, which is disappointing because they aren't always in the best position defensively either.

For your wingers, I would consider using the IW role (with stay wider instruction) so you can customize the players a bit more than if they were wingers. You might need your wide players to hold up the ball more to allow your midfielders time to attack the box. Conventional wingers don't do that.

On 06/09/2024 at 14:59, Jack722 said:

A flat 433, very attacking with attacking wing backs, 2 inside forwards as narrow as possible with movies into channels trait. Then i would suggest your wing backs have gets further whenever possible trait. Putting all of the CM's on support roles should keep the 3 in the middle structured. I play something similar except i have a double pivot and a CAM, so mine ends up a 2-2-1-5 when the wing backs are up high