Help me stay in Premier League (this time)

I just managed to advance to Premier League from EPL with Birmingham. Last season we got relegated but I managed to spend some of the money to improve my squad and then keep the players.

First off, I'd like to share my tactic with you:

Spoiler

Zrzutekranu2024-09-7o12_19_26.thumb.png.24a4e9429a64fee7cdd0d3ed6cf4d7aa.png

I believe it to be a rather balanced tactic with a little bit of being cautions, some pressing and rather quick counter attack. It worked really well in EPL but I expect to be "unpleasantly surprised" in Premier League. I would like to keep the shape if possible. 

Things I'm considering:

- change BWM into CM(d) for less roaming that technically gifted players in Premier League could take advantage of

- right winger into IW(su) to come deeper for the ball and help us keep possesion

- AF(a) -> DLF(su) and keep right winger as IW(attack) but I'm not sure it makes sense if my CAM stays AP on support. I don't like Shadow Strikers, I prefer a role that helps with the build up. I thought of using DLF(Su) and change CAM into DM for some more defensive shape but I've never had any success with 433...

Players I'd like to build my tactic around:

Spoiler

Zrzutekranu2024-09-7o12_19_10.thumb.png.c38c565d9bc69d4c5fb5097d3a55b053.png

- I grabbed Gutierrez from Manchester City for just 11M. I couldn't get him to work as a DLF(Su) so I retrained him into an IF(at) and loaned a very good AF -> he's not too pacey  so he might actually work better as DLF(Su)

Spoiler

Zrzutekranu2024-09-7o12_19_18.thumb.png.3b8a664d2107f02c32a9616000196b02.png

- Donovan's my academy product. I played him in the centre of the pitch and he did good. Did good as a winger too. I'd like to keep him as he's developed rather well throughout the seasons.

*** the forums won't let me upload more screen shots so I threw them here: https://imgur.com/a/xUSAwYX

I've got 50M to spend. I'm thinking to use it on at least one world class CB. The rest is to be planned.

Give me your thoughts on the situation.

Edited by szymunk

5 hours ago, szymunk said:

I just managed to advance to Premier League from EPL with Birmingham. Last season we got relegated but I managed to spend some of the money to improve my squad and then keep the players.

First off, I'd like to share my tactic with you:

Hide contents

Zrzutekranu2024-09-7o12_19_26.thumb.png.24a4e9429a64fee7cdd0d3ed6cf4d7aa.png

I believe it to be a rather balanced tactic with a little bit of being cautions, some pressing and rather quick counter attack. It worked really well in EPL but I expect to be "unpleasantly surprised" in Premier League. I would like to keep the shape if possible. 

Things I'm considering:

- change BWM into CM(d) for less roaming that technically gifted players in Premier League could take advantage of

- right winger into IW(su) to come deeper for the ball and help us keep possesion

- AF(a) -> DLF(su) and keep right winger as IW(attack) but I'm not sure it makes sense if my CAM stays AP on support. I don't like Shadow Strikers, I prefer a role that helps with the build up. I thought of using DLF(Su) and change CAM into DM for some more defensive shape but I've never had any success with 433...

Players I'd like to build my tactic around:

Hide contents

Zrzutekranu2024-09-7o12_19_10.thumb.png.c38c565d9bc69d4c5fb5097d3a55b053.png

- I grabbed Gutierrez from Manchester City for just 11M. I couldn't get him to work as a DLF(Su) so I retrained him into an IF(at) and loaned a very good AF -> he's not too pacey  so he might actually work better as DLF(Su)

Hide contents

Zrzutekranu2024-09-7o12_19_18.thumb.png.3b8a664d2107f02c32a9616000196b02.png

- Donovan's my academy product. I played him in the centre of the pitch and he did good. Did good as a winger too. I'd like to keep him as he's developed rather well throughout the seasons.

*** the forums won't let me upload more screen shots so I threw them here: https://imgur.com/a/xUSAwYX

I've got 50M to spend. I'm thinking to use it on at least one world class CB. The rest is to be planned.

Give me your thoughts on the situation.

Remove the MEZ from your double pivot and let just one of your wingbacks go forward. FB(S) + SV(S) will give you a tactic that can actually defend. Remove Counter-Press too while you're at it.

• The MEZ is a tactic breaking issue. Switch to a 4-3-3 if you want to use one. 
  • I would up the tempo and passing directness as well. You are playing a counter attack with a side that opposition teams will take the game to. Look for quick, direct transitions.

Your wide roles are not really set up to be effective in a mid block. Gutierrez is not a good fit for a mid block counter at this stage of his career, despite his potential. IF(A) is almost a free role out of possession and the player is too slow to be a real threat from wide spaces. He also can't pass, has low work rate, and lacks the mobility to get into spaces to score.

• He could work decently well in a 4-4-2 strike partnership, perhaps as a PF(S), to hold up the ball. If you don't want to play a 4-4-2 I would sell him and reinvest in players who can do a job for you now. 
  • Your frontline needs pace and roles capable of exploiting it in a relegation fight.

The team is more than good enough to stay up if you recruit well, and 50m is a huge amount. You don't need world class players to stay up! Just players who can do specific jobs and a deep enough squad. I would recommend setting up your scouting networks next time so you can make cheap effective transfers. Find a striker you can rely on to score (and the physical profile to get into goal scoring opportunities) + a half decent goalkeeper (aerial reach + shot stopper) and it will mostly be morale management from there

Edited by Cloud9

Thank you for taking time to analyze. 

Remove the MEZ from your double pivot and let just one of your wingbacks go forward. FB(S) + SV(S) will give you a tactic that can actually defend. Remove Counter-Press too while you're at it.

• The MEZ is a tactic breaking issue. Switch to a 4-3-3 if you want to use one. 

Are you suggesting to go with 2 DMs? SV(s) and? FBs both sides?

+ a half decent goalkeeper (aerial reach + shot stopper)

https://imgur.com/a/2pzMNim     -- do we like him chief?

• Your frontline needs pace and roles capable of exploiting it in a relegation fight.

Your wide roles are not really set up to be effective in a mid block.

What roles do you recommend? I'd like to keep Gutierrez somehow. Do you recommend to stick to 4-2-3-1 and replace my forwards and both the wingers with speed demons? Or go 4-3-3 and keep Gutierrez as DLF(Su) and both wingers as pacey IF(at)?

Edited by szymunk

57 minutes ago, szymunk said:

Thank you for taking time to analyze. 

Are you suggesting to go with 2 DMs? SV(s) and? FBs both sides?

https://imgur.com/a/2pzMNim     -- do we like him chief?

What roles do you recommend? I'd like to keep Gutierrez somehow. Do you recommend to stick to 4-2-3-1 and replace my forwards and both the wingers with speed demons? Or go 4-3-3 and keep Gutierrez as DLF(Su) and both wingers as pacey IF(at)?

I would recommend a 4-4-2 then! Gutierrez has a great skillset to become a DLF but he will need to be put on a regime to improve his passing first. I wouldn't want him playing the role with 11 passing despite his great profile. Playing him as a PF(s) will distill his role down to holding up the ball + providing a long ball option which he will excel at and put to use some of the strengths he has now (rather than the player he can become). Passing is a technical ability so you want to get him on that ASAP so he doesn't miss the window. You can improve his work rate fairly easily with a little individual man management. 

And yea double DM will do nicely w/an SV, that translates to a 4-4-2 as well BWM(s) or DM(S) + SV(s). On the wingbacks having a FB(a) or WB(s) on one side + a FB(S) will give you a stable backline. 

Goalkeeper looks like a superstar, more than enough and will do especially well in a block. You can take him all the way to winning the Champions League in your save :) 

On wide roles in a 4-4-2 block I would look at a Winger(a) for profiles with speed + dribbling, either on their true or off foot. WM/DW/W(s) are all solid options in these slots as well.

Here are two good threads to reference over the course of your season:

Edited by Cloud9

38 minutes ago, szymunk said:

Do you mind taking a look at 2 wonderkids I found that I believe are first team ready? https://imgur.com/a/A73fdkW

I'm not sure about 4-4-2... that would take a lot of retraining because none of my players can play ML nor MR.

How do we like 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs? https://imgur.com/a/swYcJJw

4-2-3-1 is very strong, but I would just retrain them in pre-season to fit a 4-4-2. A 4-2-3-1 like that you've linked will serve you very well though. You can always have two of your tactics be the 4-4-2 and the third be a 4-2-3-1...this will give you some flexibility throughout the season (just don't over tinker). 

Schedule some friendlies and they'll be up to speed in no time. You've got young players and some of them look already half trained for those spots. A striker partnership can help you get enough goals to stay up as well, it's a formation I would recommend for anyone struggling to survive a relegation fight. More importantly, I think if you don't run it then Gutierrez will be pretty unimpactful on the field which I'm not sure you can afford from a key player w/relegation on the line.

• If you go w/the 4-2-3-1 you'll need an exceptional and reliable AF who can score multiple goals a game as he'll be your only main goal threat. 

On the two players you've linked my only concern is that they're inconsistent. That won't impact their physical attributes so it's not the end of the world for that wide position where you mostly are looking at their ability to attack the space. Castro is a perfectionist and can dribble so I would say he's ready to start. Pavas could be an issue... you'd need to check his media handling to see if there are any red flags in there. He's cheap though! Bringing him on as a rotation option for his physical profile alone would likely be an okay choice. You can only sign six u21 foreign players in your save per year so that's why I would be more selective on the six you bring in. 

Usually I just won't sign inconsistent players in my own saves if at all possible.

Edited by Cloud9

Is that how you'd do 4-4-2? Do I add "focus down the left and right" or it doesn't matter that much? https://imgur.com/a/ubRWNgv I'm still looking for an AF. Might need to loan someone, we'll see. I'm going to force my players in pre season to adapt to new roles "just in case". I agree it's always good to have some flexibility even though I think 4-2-3-1 is going to be my main tactic.

In both tactics do I work the ball in the box? I think it slows down the counter attacks but on the other hand my striker is most likely the only guy in our team who can actually place a shot so perhaps it's for the better to look for him?

Edited by szymunk

8 hours ago, szymunk said:

Is that how you'd do 4-4-2? Do I add "focus down the left and right" or it doesn't matter that much? https://imgur.com/a/ubRWNgv I'm still looking for an AF. Might need to loan someone, we'll see. I'm going to force my players in pre season to adapt to new roles "just in case". I agree it's always good to have some flexibility even though I think 4-2-3-1 is going to be my main tactic.

In both tactics do I work the ball in the box? I think it slows down the counter attacks but on the other hand my striker is most likely the only guy in our team who can actually place a shot so perhaps it's for the better to look for him?

I wouldn't use the focus instructions all the time, they will tire the players out in that area. Work on the ball into the box you could add if you see your players wasting a lot of chances shooting low % chances. It's a final third instruction so take a look at the decision making of the players in that area. As an underdog counter attack I would use it situationally; but most of the time moving quickly and taking the chances available will be more important. 

On the 4-4-2, that looks good. If you want both wingers on attack then a double fb(s) might work well for you. I would want the SV(s) directly behind the PF(s) for some additional link up play when the ball is held up. 

On the AF, you mentioned you had 50m and I see a lot of your squad is quite young. Spending 15m or so to pick up a senior reliable pro from a relegated side might be nice (especially in the CB and AF slots). That's what I did in my own save with a Colombian striker from Almeria. Over reliance (especially in key positions) on young players is a common trap that can see you relegated in your survival fight. The wonder kids are great (for the future), but CA/PA is largely unimportant for success...players just need the right attributes in the right places for your system. Looking at what a player is now instead of what he can become will be important. A player like Vedat Muriqi is a great example of this in FM24 (in key attribute distribution over CA/PA). 

I usually look to bring in a handful of senior pros who strengthen the starting 11 with positive personalities upon promotion like this...they can then mentor the young players and form the core of your squad while you fit the young kids in w/out overplaying them. 

Edited by Cloud9

I couldn't for the life of me find an AF. I decided to loan Jovanovic from Liverpool. Rodriguez who was in the team already doesn't seem to be physical enough for a lone forward in 4-2-3-1. Another guy I already had was Gelhardt but he can't finish. Will keep him for wing rotation. 

I got Mbamba for free, he's going to help with rotation as he's capable of playing as SV and BWM. 

Diallo came in for 2M. Bargain for a quick winger who can play both wings.

Strandos was too good to pass. I couldn't help myself for 6M. He's going to be my backup CB and I might familiarise him with being right FB. 

Same story for Swerts. I just couldn't say no. 13M though. He's naturally a CB but I retrained him into FB because he's not tall enough and can't jump.

Moritz Jentz is about to join us for 20M. Either him or van den Berg but he costs about 25M and wants 390k/month (as opposed to Jentz's 310). I don't think I need both. Dekker will be moved to a left FB role replacing Alese. Alese is quick but we don't play attacking wingbacks so an overall more dependant defender in the form of Dekker should do better. On the other hand Alese is quicker and can dribble so could sometimes surprise someone. Jentz and Gaspar are going to be my first choice CBs.

I was in the middle of exploring our options for señor Gutiérrez and Lanus came in with an interesting loan offer. I honestly doubt they're going to have that amount of money (not to mention to pay his wages) but I don't think it's going to be a bad loan for him. He wasn't getting a lot of playtime in my current roster anyway.       edit: he rejected it uh oh lets try again...

After selling some of the deadwood and getting players I just mentioned I'm left with about 23M left. I think I'm going to keep it in case I need it in December.

Edited by szymunk

6 hours ago, szymunk said:

WOOP WOOP first game of the season

Zrzutekranu2024-09-8o11_12_25.thumb.png.b51f749509b6533386cb87d7d314b16f.png

Looks like a great start :) Having a top tier goalkeeper like Urbig will go a long way in the season for you I think!

On the AF, none of those guys look adequate. Jovanovic is more of a TF and the other two lack the pace to threaten to the opposition out of possession. Jovanovic + an AF in a 4-4-2 will get you plenty of goals to stay up with.

If you have 23m left I'd go splash the cash on someone with Pace/Acceleration (really you want 15-16 minimum for a counter attack at this level) + good off the ball (some anticipation) and a consistent player. Adequate height as well if you're looking to play them as a solo 9 at times. The pace is the top speed where as the acceleration is how quickly they reach it...so if they've got a dose of one and not the other then they aren't too helpful for you in your current tactical setup. 

Edited by Cloud9

Lovely.

How do you feel about this 4-4-2? I mean the instructions. I was getting pretty dominated by Liverpool until I switched to 4-4-2 and went all gegenpress. We still lost but managed to create some decent highlights. I kept the instructions since. I sometimes use it on away games and it works surprisingly well.

3 hours ago, szymunk said:

Lovely.

How do you feel about this 4-4-2? I mean the instructions. I was getting pretty dominated by Liverpool until I switched to 4-4-2 and went all gegenpress. We still lost but managed to create some decent highlights. I kept the instructions since. I sometimes use it on away games and it works surprisingly well.

If you don't have goal scorers capable of attacking the space in behind then playing higher up the pitch will allow you to be a goal threat still. However, you will concede a lot of goals by coming out to play as a weaker team and you won't take advantage of opposition teams underestimating you...a lot will just depend on the players at your disposal.

Based on that screenshot I would focus on squad rotation and morale management over tactics!

24 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

If you don't have goal scorers capable of attacking the space in behind then playing higher up the pitch will allow you to be a goal threat still. However, you will concede a lot of goals by coming out to play as a weaker team and you won't take advantage of opposition teams underestimating you...a lot will just depend on the players at your disposal.

Based on that screenshot I would focus on squad rotation and morale management over tactics!

I basically play the 4-2-3-1 you helped me form. We're having great success with 25 points in 12 games, just 3 loses I believe, some lucky draws and some lucky wins like the one with Chelsea at the beginning :P morale's good. everything's coming together. 

Should be smooth sailing from now on. Tactical familiarity is nearing the maximum. My plan is to replace my current players with better ones and some wonderkids along the way and of course to stay in Premier League. I expect to be able to do it in a couple of seasons.

You're the real MVP. Thank you so so much. SV(s) is my new favourite role thanks to you.

Edited by szymunk

On 08/09/2024 at 14:30, szymunk said:

I basically play the 4-2-3-1 you helped me form. We're having great success with 25 points in 12 games, just 3 loses I believe, some lucky draws and some lucky wins like the one with Chelsea at the beginning :P morale's good. everything's coming together. 

Should be smooth sailing from now on. Tactical familiarity is nearing the maximum. My plan is to replace my current players with better ones and some wonderkids along the way and of course to stay in Premier League. I expect to be able to do it in a couple of seasons.

You're the real MVP. Thank you so so much. SV(s) is my new favourite role thanks to you.

I am glad it's worked out :) 

I am about to finish this season in top half of the table. We've easily overachieved. 

Would you tweak with the tactic at all or stick to it and upgrade players? 

I'll be looking for a new SV(Su) because Yepes is not physical enough and can't finish.

Vite is my main AP(Su). One thing is that I'm not sure I want to keep using AP because it doesn't seem to make a difference. He only got 4 goals and 3 assists in 29 appearances. Or stick to AP but upgrade the guy. Casadei is his replacement. Better stats- wise and the game says he's consistent but he's been anything BUT consistent as AP.

Last signing would be an AF. I signed Alarcón as a backup winger but he grew to be a first team player and doesn't seem bad for an AF. Also Diallo but his composure and finishing smell like clear cut chances sent wide. They're both decent replacements but I believe I'm going to have more than 50M to spend so I might as well go for a world class striker.

What are your thoughts?

update:

- finished 8th, just a spot below Europa's League

- Jovanovic was 3rd top league's scorer. I'm thinking to buy him from Liverpool as he should be avaliable for less than 30M.

- Amad Diallo scored the "goal of the season"

- board set our transfer budget to a whooping 85M ! let's go shopping

update #2 "transfer window":

Kroupi has perfect stats for an AF but he doesn't enjoy big games. It usually is an immediate turn off for me but it's so hard to find a forward. Not to mention he would be my best AP too. Do I go for him?

Edited by szymunk

5 hours ago, szymunk said:

I am about to finish this season in top half of the table. We've easily overachieved. 

Would you tweak with the tactic at all or stick to it and upgrade players? 

I'll be looking for a new SV(Su) because Yepes is not physical enough and can't finish.

Vite is my main AP(Su). One thing is that I'm not sure I want to keep using AP because it doesn't seem to make a difference. He only got 4 goals and 3 assists in 29 appearances. Or stick to AP but upgrade the guy. Casadei is his replacement. Better stats- wise and the game says he's consistent but he's been anything BUT consistent as AP.

Last signing would be an AF. I signed Ala rcón as a backup winger but he grew to be a first team player and doesn't seem bad for an AF. Also Diallo but his composure and finishing smell like clear cut chances sent wide. They're both decent replacements but I believe I'm going to have more than 50M to spend so I might as well go for a world class striker.

What are your thoughts?

update:

- finished 8th, just a spot below Europa's League

- Jovanovic was 3rd top league's scorer. I'm thinking to buy him from Liverpool as he should be avaliable for less than 30M.

- Amad Diallo scored the "goal of the season"

- board set our transfer budget to a whooping 85M ! let's go shopping

update #2 "transfer window":

Kroupi has perfect stats for an AF but he doesn't enjoy big games. It usually is an immediate turn off for me but it's so hard to find a forward. Not to mention he would be my best AP too. Do I go for him?

I would 100% sign Kroupi despite the doesn't enjoy big games! You can try to work on that with him.

He looks way better than any other striker else in your team and 39m seems quite a bargain for what he brings. He is also a complete forward w/strong mentals + technicals on top of his physical profile...which means you will have some tactical flexibility against teams you aren't sitting back against. And he's a good personality on top! That checks a lot of boxes for me.

On the SV I'd look for someone w/ a bit more ability to run than Yeves. 

On tweaks I would look to build two strong tactics to go between...one for controlling the game yourself and the other for counter-attacking. A 4-2-3-1 should continue to serve you well for this!

Edited by Cloud9

5 minutes ago, Cloud9 said:

I would 100% sign Kroupi despite the doesn't enjoy big games! You can try to work on that with him.

He looks way better than any other striker else in your team and 39m seems quite a bargain for what he brings. He is also a complete forward w/strong mentals + technicals on top of his physical profile...which means you will have some tactical flexibility against teams you aren't sitting back against. And he's a good personality on top! That checks a lot of boxes for me.

On the SV I'd look for someone w/ a bit more ability to run than Yeves. 

Agree. That Kroupi guy looks so good. One question though: can you remove things like inconsistency and doesn't enjoy big games through mentoring?

I'm currently trying to survive my first year in PL too as Hull City and have been trying to find a CF/DLF that can be an all-actions type striker for me. But since my budget was only 35m and I can say that my squad quite over-achieved by getting promoted too early (thanks to the loanees, Liam Delap, Fabio Carvalho, and Tyler Morton), I needed to spend my money conservatively. Ended up getting Kelechi Iheanacho for free and Alexandr Sobolev for 6m pounds. Pretty happy with that! Currently sitting in 10th place after 18 matches, winning 8, drawing 3, and losing 7 matches.

Kelechi Iheanacho:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-10211033.png.e43ca5726ee6700986c0f02230f0f64a.png

Alexandr Sobolev:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-10211013.png.10d86e1ea5c0ddb5b0ece1adf240a95c.png

One question though: can you remove things like inconsistency and doesn't enjoy big games through mentoring?

I read somewhere on the forums around here that it's possible by playing a guy in "big games" and they have to perform well. I believe it was confirmed by someone from the SI team. 

My problem and worry is that it's not possible to tell how long it's going to take and a team like ours can't afford to wait for a guy to start performing. On the second note though I believe he's so good that even if he underperforms from time to time he's still going to bang goals and get assists. Furthermore it's hard to say what exactly big games are. Could be relegation battles, rivalry games etc... any or all of these.

I'm gonna sign him and hope for the best.

Edited by szymunk

8 hours ago, Medio Volante said:

can you remove things like inconsistency and doesn't enjoy big games through mentoring?

Not through mentoring, but they can improve slowly over time. Those two attributes only impact technical + mental attributes (not physical) I believe; which is something else to keep in mind.

My general go to is that I try to avoid signing inconsistent players all together and am willing to develop ones who have doesn't enjoy big matches. The trait is only viewable after they grow up a bit as well (21 or something?) which isn't the case w/consistency (viewable from the start).

Edited by Cloud9

8 hours ago, szymunk said:

I read somewhere on the forums around here that it's possible by playing a guy in "big games" and they have to perform well. I believe it was confirmed by someone from the SI team. 

My problem and worry is that it's not possible to tell how long it's going to take and a team like ours can't afford to wait for a guy to start performing. On the second note though I believe he's so good that even if he underperforms from time to time he's still going to bang goals and get assists. Furthermore it's hard to say what exactly big games are. Could be relegation battles, rivalry games etc... any or all of these.

I'm gonna sign him and hope for the best.

2 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Not through mentoring, but they can improve slowly over time. Those two attributes only impact technical + mental attributes (not physical) I believe; which is something else to keep in mind.

My general go to is that I try to avoid signing inconsistent players all together and am willing to develop ones who have doesn't enjoy big matches. The trait is only viewable after they grow up a bit as well (21 or something?) which isn't the case w/consistency (viewable from the start).

Got it. Thanks.

Need your opinion, guys @Cloud9 and szymunk :lol:.

I'm currently half way through the season, it's Jan 2025. I just sold Abdulkadir Omur for 11.5m pounds (Saudi came calling), my go to attacking midfielder. Do you think Savio is a good replacement for him? What I want from my two AMs (I play with 5-2-2-1 formation, attached below):

• Ball carrier to carry a potent counter attacking threat
  • Ability to maneuver in small space when I want to break down teams as strong as/weaker than my team (same shape + balanced mentality, play out of defense, and standard defensive line)

Do you think that Savio is a good replacement for him? I can get him for 18.5m, fighting against Brentford's (Championship team) 14.5m pounds bid for him. Savio's agent demands to be given star player + 39-52kp/w wage - making him the highest earner in my team. The highest paid players currently in my team are on 35kp/w (Leif Davis, Jaden Philogene, and Kelechi Iheanacho).

Abdulkadir Omur's attributes:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-12035743.png.cdf992f7a04c0d3cd976d56af965ed50.png

Savio's attributes:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-12035709.png.ddba79d5c79e75e30ce53e2145b73d72.png

My tactic right now against bigger team/away fixtures in PL (Philogene/Iheanacho as AM(a)/shadow striker):

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-12040836.png.6f2f5a7af6c3a45b901776bb1dad10b0.png

Thanks ahead!

Edited by Medio Volante

Atletico came looking for a keeper. Urbig is not pushing for the transfer though as I refused the first offer. I can't find a guy with similar to his abilities and so young for a keeper. Nubel comes fairly close but he's 32 and I'd have to pay for him somewhere around 15-20M. 
I'm thinking to keep Urbig. I have 97M budget so I don't need money anyways. 54M for a keeper though.

Speaking of my 97M budget I honestly don't know how to spend it. Players that require such funds don't want to sign with us because of the reputation and lack of stability in Premier League yet. Players I could buy would be a negligible upgrade or none at all.

I bought him and him for a total of 8M - that's for backup mostly.

I bought him as my main segundo volante, paid 25M. 

I'm looking for a backup right full back for Faye. I'm looking for someone to develop and I found him. That would leave me with pacey fullbacks that can't cross. Do I switch to wing backs to provide forward movement on wings or stick to FB(Su) to defend better?

Edited by szymunk

6 hours ago, szymunk said:

Atletico came looking for a keeper. Urbig is not pushing for the transfer though as I refused the first offer. I can't find a guy with similar to his abilities and so young for a keeper. Nubel comes fairly close but he's 32 and I'd have to pay for him somewhere around 15-20M. 
I'm thinking to keep Urbig. I have 97M budget so I don't need money anyways. 54M for a keeper though.

Try taking a look at this guy my scout found, Kacper Tobiasz:

Spoiler

image.png.a86f41ce660f31b2e73e18dcb71868bd.png

7 hours ago, szymunk said:

Speaking of my 97M budget I honestly don't know how to spend it. Players that require such funds don't want to sign with us because of the reputation and lack of stability in Premier League yet. Players I could buy would be a negligible upgrade or none at all.

I bought him and him for a total of 8M - that's for backup mostly.

I bought him as my main segundo volante, paid 25M. 

I'm looking for a backup right full back for Faye. I'm looking for someone to develop and I found him. That would leave me with pacey fullbacks that can't cross. Do I switch to wing backs to provide forward movement on wings or stick to FB(Su) to defend better?

You should literally never sell Urbig for any amount of cash. He's a good personality player so it shouldn't be too hard to just tell him to get over it (esp if he's valuable to the squad in hierarchy). If he gets unsettled, just don't break a promise and wait for him to get over it. Good goalkeepers are hard to find and this is one of the best you'll come across. 

I would recommend looking at IFB(D) with fullbacks like the second one as your team improves, especially as you start to look to control games more yourself. Faye is so good he can do almost anything for you. His biggest asset are his pace and strong mentals. The 12 crossing shouldn't be counted as unable to cross! Figuring out how you'd like him to set up will be based on your own tactic and the opposition. He can come inside and play as an IWB, run to the byline with his pace, or hold down the fort as a wingback(d) in one v one situations. A player w versatility like this is a great benefit to the squad. 

The other players look great, these are more than good enough players to take you all the way.

Edited by Cloud9

7 hours ago, Medio Volante said:

Savio's attributes:

Hide contents

Savio would be an excellent signing but I wouldn't look to play him as an AMC. His best attributes are as a 1v1 wide player (Agi+balance combo w dribbling, flair and speed makes a potent winger (a). He has end product as well through crossing and decent mentals for an offensive winger. I would consider switching to a system that lets him play wide as he has all the right attributes in the right places to be devastating from the left. It sounds like he is a cut above the rest of your squad, which is a bargain for his age/personality/price.

As a 10 I think you will find him ineffective, his mentals are low for a playmaker type and he can't pass well. He lacks the ability to be a prolific central goal threat from central areas

2 hours ago, Medio Volante said:

Try taking a look at this guy my scout found, Kacper Tobiasz:

Hide contents

image.png.a86f41ce660f31b2e73e18dcb71868bd.png

He isn't loaded in my game :( I'll keep Urbig. Thanks for the input though. 

9 hours ago, Medio Volante said:

Need your opinion, guys @Cloud9 and szymunk :lol:.

I'm currently half way through the season, it's Jan 2025. I just sold Abdulkadir Omur for 11.5m pounds (Saudi came calling), my go to attacking midfielder. Do you think Savio is a good replacement for him? What I want from my two AMs (I play with 5-2-2-1 formation, attached below):

• Ball carrier to carry a potent counter attacking threat
  • Ability to maneuver in small space when I want to break down teams as strong as/weaker than my team (same shape + balanced mentality, play out of defense, and standard defensive line)

Do you think that Savio is a good replacement for him? I can get him for 18.5m, fighting against Brentford's (Championship team) 14.5m pounds bid for him. Savio's agent demands to be given star player + 39-52kp/w wage - making him the highest earner in my team. The highest paid players currently in my team are on 35kp/w (Leif Davis, Jaden Philogene, and Kelechi Iheanacho).

Abdulkadir Omur's attributes:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot2024-09-12035743.png.cdf992f7a04c0d3cd976d56af965ed50.png

Savio's attributes:

Reveal hidden contents

My tactic right now against bigger team/away fixtures in PL (Philogene/Iheanacho as AM(a)/shadow striker):

Hide contents

Screenshot2024-09-12040836.png.6f2f5a7af6c3a45b901776bb1dad10b0.png

Thanks ahead!

I wouldn't use Savio anywhere except out in the wide because of how good of a winger he is. Quick, agile with good dribbling and crossing is too good to miss in my opinion. He lacks passing and mentals to be a prolific AM.

1 hour ago, Cloud9 said:

You should literally never sell Urbig for any amount of cash. He's a good personality player so it shouldn't be too hard to just tell him to get over it (esp if he's valuable to the squad in hierarchy). If he gets unsettled, just don't break a promise and wait for him to get over it. Good goalkeepers are hard to find and this is one of the best you'll come across. 

I would recommend looking at IFB(D) with fullbacks like the second one as your team improves, especially as you start to look to control games more yourself. Faye is so good he can do almost anything for you. His biggest asset are his pace and strong mentals. The 12 crossing shouldn't be counted as unable to cross! Figuring out how you'd like him to set up will be based on your own tactic and the opposition. He can come inside and play as an IWB, run to the byline with his pace, or hold down the fort as a wingback(d) in one v one situations. A player w versatility like this is a great benefit to the squad. 

The other players look great, these are more than good enough players to take you all the way.

Why'd you recommend IFB(D) in particular? I'm thinking to make some tweaks to my current counter attack 4-2-3-1 to create a spare tactic to control the game a little more because I lost some friendlies to teams that sat back and got luckier than me :D I don't think it's going to happen too often in the Prem though but it's good to have. 

9 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Savio would be an excellent signing but I wouldn't look to play him as an AMC. His best attributes are as a 1v1 wide player (Agi+balance combo w dribbling, flair and speed makes a potent winger (a). He has end product as well through crossing and decent mentals for an offensive winger. I would consider switching to a system that lets him play wide as he has all the right attributes in the right places to be devastating from the left. It sounds like he is a cut above the rest of your squad, which is a bargain for his age/personality/price.

As a 10 I think you will find him ineffective, his mentals are low for a playmaker type and he can't pass well. He lacks the ability to be a prolific central goal threat from central areas

7 hours ago, szymunk said:

I wouldn't use Savio anywhere except out in the wide because of how good of a winger he is. Quick, agile with good dribbling and crossing is too good to miss in my opinion. He lacks passing and mentals to be a prolific AM.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. My train of thought is that currently, I have 2 wingback type of fullbacks on each side (4 totals then), my CBs are young and I still haven't trusted them to protect the backline solidly in a back 4 formations. That's why I opted for 5-2-2-1. So, my plan currently is to just ride the wave, get a mid-table finish in my 1st season in PL. After that I can start thinking about using different formation. One thing that I'm considering is to play in a 4-3-3 so my left fullback can push up forward to combine with Philogene. During this transfer window, I also want to add some experience to my backline by getting Jannik Vestergaard for 2.8m (I know he's slow + maybe there are better young alternatives, but I want to keep the save interesting :D).

4-3-3 idea with Savio as my W(at) on the right (still no ideal right FB (I want someone in the IFB mould in order for me to play 4-3-3) and DM other to replace the stop gap Cheikhou Kouyate):

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-12120615.png.b62c261d2e023350a14c038d8b5d057a.png

I guess I can retrain Serdar Saatci to be my FB(su) after getting the Jannik Vestergaard deal over the line. These are Jannik Vestergaard's attributes:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-12190432.png.e52acd73fd1fbb69df3133e3a07a8b5e.png

My CBs' attributes:

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-09-12190131.png.f4739213cb21b030d08a16564f8d1c04.png

Screenshot2024-09-12190112.png.1d5b2523c573c78007d2d2a840244c47.png

Screenshot2024-09-12190201.png.8cc18f1945be07fc915d152d5f803381.png

Update: Savio deal done :D Thankfully those clubs didn't put a bid quick enough besides Brentford. Next season is gonna be great having him on the wing. Let's just hope no UCL club will activate his release clause of 46.5m now.

Screenshot2024-09-12203555.png.97b73c0ab7877090ce5effd4966640dc.png

Edited by Medio Volante

Update: Savio deal done :D Thankfully those clubs didn't put a bid quick enough besides Brentford. Next season is gonna be great having him on the wing. Let's just hope no UCL club will activate his release clause of 46.5m now.

Congrats. Next season try to offer him a new contract. Try getting rid of the clause at the expense of higher wage. I did that to my wonderkids.

I'm trying to form a tactic to control the game better. How do we like it? 

Zrzut ekranu 2024-09-12 o 16.27.12.png

17 hours ago, szymunk said:

Congrats. Next season try to offer him a new contract. Try getting rid of the clause at the expense of higher wage. I did that to my wonderkids.

Hey, 

so, by far, I am no tactic genius and need help in another post. But this tactic seems to me to be quite dividing the game. You get width by your wingers, but I could imagine that your CAR and IWB are occupying neaerly the same area on the pitch. And there could be quite a distance to cover between your defence line and your midfield. The AP will be, at least my observation so far, hugging the box and staying close to the AF. I could imagine that your left winger will be pretty isolated; your right winger will be close to your CAR.

But I'm happily stand corrected by someone with more wisdome and knowledge. So please don't rely on my input without input from somebody else.

On 11/09/2024 at 23:15, szymunk said:

He isn't loaded in my game :( I'll keep Urbig. Thanks for the input though. 

Why'd you recommend IFB(D) in particular? I'm thinking to make some tweaks to my current counter attack 4-2-3-1 to create a spare tactic to control the game a little more because I lost some friendlies to teams that sat back and got luckier than me :D I don't think it's going to happen too often in the Prem though but it's good to have. 

It’s a good role when you’re looking to control games more (you can achieve a 3-2 buildup phase when combined w/a libero or an iwb). Ifb profiles are basically centerbacks played wide before shuttling inside and that fb looks like he will fit quite well. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 12/09/2024 at 07:28, szymunk said:

You will need to make some significant changes to control the game effectively here. 

Move your lines up and you remove them some of the time roles and TIs that will see you turn over the ball (counter, pass into space, af, double winger(a) etc.) 

An IWB(s) + a SV(s) will provide you with a much more capable midfield 4 in possession (and an overloading run). Addressing the pivot again will leave you in a much stronger position out of possession as well. 

Edited by Cloud9

12 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

You will need to make some significant changes to control the game effectively here. 

Move your lines up and you remove them some of the time roles and TIs that will see you turn over the ball (counter, pass into space, af, double winger(a) etc.) 

An IWB(s) + a SV(s) will provide you with a much more capable midfield 4 in possession (and an overloading run). Addressing the pivot again will leave you in a much stronger position out of possession as well. 

I'm not accustomed to use IFB or IWB. I did some tweaking. Is this more or less how we're gonna look in attack? I'm not sure how to make Castro less isolated. How about I ask Solis to run wide with the ball?

I've also been thinking about using SV(at). The way I imagine their movement is that they move all the way as second striker? or somewhere between CAM and ST.  

Is there any chance that this turns into this and makes any sense?

Edited by szymunk

39 minutes ago, szymunk said:

I'm not accustomed to use IFB or IWB. I did some tweaking. Is this more or less how we're gonna look in attack? I'm not sure how to make Castro less isolated. How about I ask Solis to run wide with the ball?

I've also been thinking about using SV(at). The way I imagine their movement is that they move all the way as second striker? or somewhere between CAM and ST.  

Is there any chance that this turns into this and makes any sense?

The formation you posted looks good! I'd personally get rid of shorter passing and move the BWM to a support duty. 

However, the second one (a diamond) isn't reflective of how you will look in possession. I'd recommend reading through this article on how positional play will see your formation change for a 4-2-3-1 to a 3-2 base in possession. 

Thanks.

How do you feel about using 2 IWB in a counter attacking tactic?

I made some tweaks to my main tactic. The plan is to stick to counter attack in the Prem which is my first focus. I came up with this .I love combination of  SV and IWB. I like how SV bursts forward and IWB forms a sort of a double pivot with BWM that stays deeper. 3 at the back that's made with an IFB seems to be solid enough. (Swerts is IWB(De) and Mane is BWM (De)).

Love it.

I'd like to get the most out of my CAM since I got Kroupi and I bought a fairy capable AF wonderkid Gonzalez . I'm gonna run some tests to see if SS and AF can work together even if it feels counterintuitive. Kroupi's stats are too good to waste on being solely AP (Su) and I already have a guy for that position if I was to stick with it Ochoa . I'd like to know your opinion on that.

SS+AF         -- I'm thinking to try SS+CF Su?

Edited by szymunk

4 hours ago, szymunk said:

Thanks.

How do you feel about using 2 IWB in a counter attacking tactic?

I made some tweaks to my main tactic. The plan is to stick to counter attack in the Prem which is my first focus. I came up with this .I love combination of  SV and IWB. I like how SV bursts forward and IWB forms a sort of a double pivot with BWM that stays deeper. 3 at the back that's made with an IFB seems to be solid enough. (Swerts is IWB(De) and Mane is BWM (De)).

Love it.

I'd like to get the most out of my CAM since I got Kroupi and I bought a fairy capable AF wonderkid Gonzalez . I'm gonna run some tests to see if SS and AF can work together even if it feels counterintuitive. Kroupi's stats are too good to waste on being solely AP (Su) and I already have a guy for that position if I was to stick with it Ochoa . I'd like to know your opinion on that.

SS+AF         -- I'm thinking to try SS+CF Su?

I would step out of the mid block counter attack for IWBs. 

Edited by Cloud9

On 12/09/2024 at 13:07, Medio Volante said:

Update: Savio deal done :D 

Have you played much more into the season since signing him? Interested to see how he’s performed and how you’ve fitted him. Have you had to tweak tactic or has he excelled in the current system. Your team set up is very interest. I love seeing a lower line etc as it’s much harder to succeed with than the same old high line much more often press etc. 

19 hours ago, Jakey8 said:

Have you played much more into the season since signing him? Interested to see how he’s performed and how you’ve fitted him. Have you had to tweak tactic or has he excelled in the current system. Your team set up is very interest. I love seeing a lower line etc as it’s much harder to succeed with than the same old high line much more often press etc. 

Yeah, I have. I love this approach too, more realistic as a weaker team. What I don't like is obviously the more realistic results :lol:. Last 8 matches in PL -> 1W, 1D and 6L. Opposition's long shots and near post corners have been the bane of my existence. But hey at least I am in the semi final of FA Cup, gonna be facing Liverpool. Savio has been great, I have tried 4-3-3 playing him as a right W(at). 8 G/A in 5 matches in that role, but the 5 G/A were against West Brom and Blackburn in FA Cup. In the league, 4-3-3 has been awful for me, that's why I switched back to 5-2-2-1. Still sitting in 11th though, so not too bad. I'm in need of new goalie and midfielder, the current ones have been dreadful. Maybe I will put some clips later showing Savio's actions. :thup:

Edit: The magic of FA Cup!

image.png.e13c5d01bc6e6e435f2506252b44c7c5.png

Edited by Medio Volante

14 hours ago, szymunk said:

What do you mean by that?

What about SS+AF?

IWB work well since they step inside to the midfield to control the game. However they leave gaps wide in your defense and in a counter attack you're happy to let the opposition have the ball. Gaps in a defensive system is a problem. 

SS + AF will likely get into each other's way. I imagine most of the time the SS would be passed over in quick transitions, although the out of possession output that's hard coded on his role could be helpful!

On 12/09/2024 at 15:28, szymunk said:

Could also try your 2 MC as CM on Def or 1 Def and 1 Support..

I also like the DLP S with a CM D which I'm using on my current tactic.