What am I doing wrong? 4-2-3-1

In FM24, SI changed the way pivots work. You should probably play your CMs as DMs. CMs can work but they're much harder to set up and you risk leaving big gaps between your midfield and defensive lines.

You have absolutely no width on the left-hand side

Are you sure you want to trap outside when your RB is the only wide player in your system?

Are you one of the best teams in your league? If not, your aggressive transition and out-of-possession instructions will probably leave you vulnerable against better teams. 

Have a close read of this thread (at least the first 5 or 6 pages):

Note that 'defence-first' does not mean 'defensive'.

Good luck :thup:

-no attacking width on the left side, I would probably sacrifice some central goal threat to retain the 3-2 shape in buildup, hence change the IF to a winger 

-using cm's over dm's in a high pressing system is perfectly fine, but the roles need to be more conservative, so that you can retain shape better and offer passing options in buildup, so the choice here is to keep a similar role setup and push them into the dm strata or just change the roles to be a bit more static and defensive and keep them in the cm strata 

-this one boils down to personal preference and isn't as important as the first two points, but I prefare to run the 4-2-3-1 with a spearhead striker (poacher or advanced forward) and a more traditional 10, the reason for this is to pin back the defensive line and give the players in the am strata more space to operate in 

On 09/09/2024 at 06:32, Ralphetz said:

I tried couple more combinations but can't get results and couldn't find an answer. 

https://ibb.co/k3PQkSH

Try having WB-a on the same side as the IF-a so you can have width down that side. The IW-s will provide enough width for you on the other side.

I think you should also change your DLF to attack duty. The reason being is, given you already have a BBM in your midfield, it might be a good idea to keep the AM on support so not all your central midfielders are running away from the DLP. Of course if you were to go with a more static player next to the DLP, you could certainly change the AM to attack duty.

Lastly, I'd suggest having the BBM on the same side as the IW. My thinking is that, if your BBM is really adventurous then, you don't want him making runs off the ball into the same area as the IF-a.