Successful Targetman Tactic

Hi all.

I've been running a set of tactics with Stoke City using both a TM - Attack and a WTM - Support.

In three seasons we've gone from Relegation fodder to CL winners buying only players over 190cm tall, all with a bunch of players no better than championship level.

If anyone's interested in a full write up, let me know.

1 hour ago, Jakey8 said:

were inspire by the man, the myth, the legend Tony pulis.

Not really mate. I had previous success getting a WTM to work in FM22, only for the AI to completely nullify it after a couple of years by playing giant centre-backs at FB.

That is why this time I have implemented twin TMs, whereby if the AI tries to  snuff out one, the other thrives. Furthermore, if the AI snuffs out both TM (rare but did happen), I still have a 6ft plus AF whom can reap the dividends of occupied defenders. In addition, it means I have four rotatable options that can play both TM roles, which means I am not screwed if one is injured or suspended.

I took on Stoke because I had other remits I want to stick to (players must have a dirtiness streak, low sportsmanship is encouraged, etc) and Stoke historically fit this mould .This has all been part of my recruitment strategy as well as ensuring as many players as possible have the trait: winds up opposition.

In fairness, looking at what I have produced, it is an adventurous Pullis esque emulation.

I'll get working on writing it up.

Sounds great! It’s reminding me of big sams Bolton where Kevin Davies was like a wide target man and occupied defenders but then also worked incredibly hard to get back into a right midfield position to help out with the dirty work also. 

1 hour ago, Jakey8 said:

Kevin Davies

I saw him play live at stadiums three times. He was by far, the most brutal, aggressive and relentless players I have had the privilege to watch. This is exactly the kind of player I am looking to recruit/breed by mentoring. 

EG: Ignore star ratings, I've been training this youth product to slot into my first XI in the next year or two as a WTM. Got stats in all the right places:

image.thumb.jpeg.6e10b801573afab16a7568671a97bde7.jpeg

8 hours ago, toshimitzou1 said:

Writing this weekend. Should be up by Sunday!!!

I'm just starting a lower league (tier 6) save and having gone through the squad notice a couple of big tall (if talentless) boys in the forward position. I'm going to train/use both in a one-up-top targetman role (first choice and back up) with the simple tactic of hitting the big man up top with fullbacks and wingers raining in early crosses, and a shadow striker lurking behind for knock-downs. I'll be interested in seeing how you set up too.

Here's a quick teaser of what to expect. Now, I had to promote thuis guy from the under 19's as two of my first XI picked up long - term injuries (broken spine and broken leg). When he came in as 16yo youth product, he could only play CB. Put him in attacking training unit, added off the ball training and re-trained as WTM.

image.thumb.jpeg.9852920f76fb538af462ad731f21d085.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e49f71b215699f90845425fbf80ba8ec.jpeg

So, can an inconsistent Vanarama level player perform at the higest level?

image.thumb.jpeg.84eb28a60dcf5aeae610bb197c1d6395.jpeg

Epic success. 

More to follow......

On 21/09/2024 at 18:46, toshimitzou1 said:

Here's a quick teaser of what to expect. Now, I had to promote thuis guy from the under 19's as two of my first XI picked up long - term injuries (broken spine and broken leg). When he came in as 16yo youth product, he could only play CB. Put him in attacking training unit, added off the ball training and re-trained as WTM.

image.thumb.jpeg.9852920f76fb538af462ad731f21d085.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e49f71b215699f90845425fbf80ba8ec.jpeg

So, can an inconsistent Vanarama level player perform at the higest level?

image.thumb.jpeg.84eb28a60dcf5aeae610bb197c1d6395.jpeg

Epic success. 

More to follow......

he'll be ***** if play as CB. and he's a beast, 196 cm with 14+ acceleration and pace? yes please...

14 hours ago, LUFCspeni said:

This sounds like something right up my street! When do you anticipate you'll be able to post the tactics?

I've really been enjoying the playthrough and have been so immersed i've not gotten around to it. Just about to finish my sixth and final season and will then get on it!