False Nine and AMC proficiency

Hi everyone!

I am FM veteran, but just starting on FM 2024. So far the game seems super exciting, in a large part due to the much improved realism of the tactical side of the game compared to what I was used to in much older FMs!

I've been trying to implement a 3-4-3 formation in Sporting CP inspired by the real life formation used by Ruben Amorim. In doing so, I have felt that the shape most resembles the one of Sporting in real life when I play the two inside forwards act as "false nines." This leads them to act between the forward line and the midfield line, as they do in real life Sporting.

However, I'm trying to figure out how to proceed regarding which players can play as a false 9. I have come to understand that you need to have a high rating on the AM C position (and not just on the F C position) to have a high start rating in the false nine role (regardless of how good your other attributes are). This may make sense, but leaves me with a few questions:

1 - Does anyone know whether training a player in the "false 9" role increases their AM C proficiency (and not just their F C proficiency)? If not and I am starting with a player that is already F C natural, may it make sense to train him in a AM C role so that its AM C rating goes up and therefore they become a better false 9??

2 - Does anyone that play with false 9 have experience on whether players that have good attributes for the role, but lack the AM C proficiency, still play well as a false 9? My (very short) experience so far is that players with good attributes as false 9, but without AM C proficiency, still play well in that role despite the very low star rating they get because of not having AM C proficiency, but I'm not sure whether I've been lucky so far or whether that is something I should keep expecting...

Would be interested in any knowledge and thoughts others have over this issue!

1 hour ago, lance101 said:

Hi everyone!

I am FM veteran, but just starting on FM 2024. So far the game seems super exciting, in a large part due to the much improved realism of the tactical side of the game compared to what I was used to in much older FMs!

I've been trying to implement a 3-4-3 formation in Sporting CP inspired by the real life formation used by Ruben Amorim. In doing so, I have felt that the shape most resembles the one of Sporting in real life when I play the two inside forwards act as "false nines." This leads them to act between the forward line and the midfield line, as they do in real life Sporting.

However, I'm trying to figure out how to proceed regarding which players can play as a false 9. I have come to understand that you need to have a high rating on the AM C position (and not just on the F C position) to have a high start rating in the false nine role (regardless of how good your other attributes are). This may make sense, but leaves me with a few questions:

1 - Does anyone know whether training a player in the "false 9" role increases their AM C proficiency (and not just their F C proficiency)? If not and I am starting with a player that is already F C natural, may it make sense to train him in a AM C role so that its AM C rating goes up and therefore they become a better false 9??

2 - Does anyone that play with false 9 have experience on whether players that have good attributes for the role, but lack the AM C proficiency, still play well as a false 9? My (very short) experience so far is that players with good attributes as false 9, but without AM C proficiency, still play well in that role despite the very low star rating they get because of not having AM C proficiency, but I'm not sure whether I've been lucky so far or whether that is something I should keep expecting...

Would be interested in any knowledge and thoughts others have over this issue!

AMC proficiency is not required. You are looking for a play making profile w the mobility to drag defenders out of position. A pivotal attribute on a F9 profile will be strong Dribbling. You will want players like a SS to attack the space the F9 creates. 

Just worry about the attributes and ignore the stars.