Old Players (30+)

I know we always look for the next wonderkid, but don't sleep on older players!

My 37 year old right winger started 50 games in a quadruple winning season contributing 30 assists.

Since turning 30, he had 227 assists. He also has another 3 1/2 years on his contract so hoping to drag him out until at least 40!

Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 15.45.34.png

A few veterans can bring great experience to a squad and bring on the kids, but be careful. As a lower league manager with no qualifications or experience, I sometimes have a hell of a time with these guys who give me no respect.

6 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

A few veterans can bring great experience to a squad and bring on the kids, but be careful. As a lower league manager with no qualifications or experience, I sometimes have a hell of a time with these guys who give me no respect.

I just had my 7,200th game in charge so I'm OK with the experience side of it :lol:

3 hours ago, Marko1989 said:

It is interesting to me how he had so many assists from a right-wing considering how slow he is and poor at dribbling :D

I'd probably say 40% are set piece assists. His main assist is getting the ball off the centre back and pinging a ball over the top for a quick striker to get on the end of.

On 15/09/2024 at 15:49, Grifty said:

I know we always look for the next wonderkid, but don't sleep on older players!

My 37 year old right winger started 50 games in a quadruple winning season contributing 30 assists.

Since turning 30, he had 227 assists. He also has another 3 1/2 years on his contract so hoping to drag him out until at least 40!

Screenshot 2024-09-15 at 15.45.34.png

I won't call that player a winger anymore because of his low physical attributes. However due his excellent technical and mental attributes I would use him as Advanced playmaker from the wing or as AMC. If you good wingback for attacking duty it would do a good match on the wing with an advanced playmaker, because the cut inside moves will create space for wingback forward runs

29 minutes ago, inacion said:

I won't call that player a winger anymore because of his low physical attributes. However due his excellent technical and mental attributes I would use him as Advanced playmaker from the wing or as AMC. If you good wingback for attacking duty it would do a good match on the wing with an advanced playmaker, because the cut inside moves will create space for wingback forward runs

Yeah. More of a wide playmaker.

He looks almost like Beckham in his final days.

18 minutes ago, Kickballz said:

Yeah. More of a wide playmaker.

He looks almost like Beckham in his final days.

Intelligence is what allows players to play a few more years than usual. They become slow but if they can make good decisions, have good technique, good vision and game reading skills they can play a few more years

52 minutes ago, inacion said:

Intelligence is what allows players to play a few more years than usual. They become slow but if they can make good decisions, have good technique, good vision and game reading skills they can play a few more years

Very true.

Edited by Kickballz

In LLM, I'll play a guy until he drops from old age and joins the club as staff, when I hit top level, the minute a player hits 30 and loses a step, I sell him right off to the Saudi League. I really actually prefer LLM and having a core group of old men just having a kick-around. 

As Mike Bassett said, if you're old enough, you're good enough. Interesting that a lot of FM players buy young players just to flip them later, creating a wonderkid factory is very fun but it's not how most clubs operate. I like signing old legends, sometimes just to come on as a sub, or bringing back a former player to finish their career. In the lower leagues I prefer signing older players since your young prospects will get poached quickly anyway.

11 hours ago, Gh0zt said:

As Mike Bassett said, if you're old enough, you're good enough. Interesting that a lot of FM players buy young players just to flip them later, creating a wonderkid factory is very fun but it's not how most clubs operate. I like signing old legends, sometimes just to come on as a sub, or bringing back a former player to finish their career. In the lower leagues I prefer signing older players since your young prospects will get poached quickly anyway.

I normally do the same, I’ve had two of my legends stay to 36/7 before and stay as DoF and I get them to do all the press talks or public scouting missions.

They played bit part roles as old players mostly sub, cup or home to the bottom team kind of games.

Ive not had a guy this age stay fit and able to play every game and still perform though. He does come off around 65-70 mins every game and I try not to play him mid-week games if he’s not fully fit.

Just started pre-season and he got a few assists so far so confident for another good season from him!

Another quintuple winning season down and my 38 year old right winger finished with 25 assists and 8 goals playing 49 games (3rd highest in my team)!

Still has 2 more seasons on his contract too!

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 14.21.03.png

2 hours ago, BohsJohnny said:

What type of tactic are you using to get the most out of a player like that? 

This is on FM21 obviously, but a tactic I built up over a couple of FMs. Idea is goalie rolls it out to centre backs to pass it to wingers who then lob one over the top for quick strikers to run on to.

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 17.34.11.png

Screenshot 2024-09-21 at 17.34.45.png