First time with a "Big Team"

Was happily bringing Dynamo Dresden up the ranks to midntable BL, when RM came knocking. Couldn't resist managing world class players for once, but it's been more difficult than expected! I expected to walk the league and be challenging for the UCL, but I'm 5 points and 5 places off first in LL and 30th in UCL. Player quality shouldn't be the issue, so perhaps my tactics? Haven't scored in 4 games and I've only been in charge for 8...

My instructions are mid block, higher line, slightly more often pressing. Playing out from the back and no other adjustments to tempo or passing directness.

RDT_20240921_0932264506341191927582544.jpg

Edited by PatrickReynolds

Anything will work with Real Madrid. Just load one of the vertical tiki taka or gegenpress presets and have fun. If you manage fitness and morale properly and keep your players happy, it's very hard to lose. Winning the league will be a cakewalk. Even if you just sim all the games. You might get bored after a season or two of this.

Edited by crusadertsar

5 minutes ago, PatrickReynolds said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking would happen, but have really struggled in the first 7-8 games. I keep thinking that after the initial welcoming period they'll start dominating, but hasn't happened yet!

You must be doing something very wrong to be struggling with Madrid. Remember that morale and fitness are key in this game. Don't start players who are less than 90% fit. Rotate properly. Also keep players happy ALL the time. That means always complimenting them on either their training, attitude or performance. Especially when you have one bad match where you lose and morale goes down, make sure to improve everyone's morale manually after. This is to avoid getting into a slump of bad form. 

Edited by crusadertsar

3 minutes ago, PatrickReynolds said:

Yeah, I gotta get back to the basics. Inherited a squad with too many players wanting game time and haven't had a transfer window yet. Will stay the course!

Also regarding your tactics, I would definitely not use an Anchor role with a team like Real Madrid. You can afford to employ a more creative, risk-taking role like DM on support with the quality you possess. It would also link up better with both of your CMs who will move forward into final third alot due to their roles. Your midfield needs to stay progressive to craft out better chances for your attackers and to break down all those defensive sides you are bound to be facing.