Multiplayer Mode

What I'm most looking forward to in Football Manager Mobile is multiplayer mode. PSP versions had a multiplayer mode. I had opened a topic and asked before and it was said that it was removed because 1% of the players played. However, a mode that can only be played with wifi should not be expected to be played much in 2010. If it was a multiplayer mode right now, I'm sure it would be played by most people. Even other online football management games imitated by FMM are played by millions of people. Is multiplayer mode considered in FMM 25 or in the future? If it's not thought, could you tell why?

Personally, I'd very much like to see it implemented one day. Especially with the growing player base. The speed in which you can blast through seasons would definitely make it a bit more appealing to the casual player too. I've been trying to convince a friend to play a network save of FM Console edition for ages now but they're always put off by the amount of time you have to invest to get anywhere. FM Mobile shouldn't really have this issue.

That said, I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement - so this could just be a pipe dream of mine.

Edited by Baronvon

• SI Staff

It's something I'll consider for a future version for sure - but its not the highest priority in all honesty because even if we get a fairly decent take up (say 5% of users) then the impact for the user base as a whole will be small in comparison to adding in another feature which all players will get to appreciate.

(from a personal perspective I've always quite liked playing our games multi-player tbh, some of the in-office games back in the day of CM3 where everyone in the office would join were epic :) )

50 dakika önce, Marc Vaughan said:

It's something I'll consider for a future version for sure - but its not the highest priority in all honesty because even if we get a fairly decent take up (say 5% of users) then the impact for the user base as a whole will be small in comparison to adding in another feature which all players will get to appreciate.

(from a personal perspective I've always quite liked playing our games multi-player tbh, some of the in-office games back in the day of CM3 where everyone in the office would join were epic :) )

Thank you very much for answering. I think it would be more than 5%. Because FMM has no alternative. Thousands of people even play OSM. It can't even come close to FMM in terms of quality.

Also, why do you limit the maximum number of leagues on mobile to 5? I use iPhone 15 Pro Max and I believe there will be no problem playing with the more than 5 leagues. Maybe it would be better if you could adjust to select the number of leagues according to the device.

• SI Staff
11 minutes ago, 1ht1baron said:

Thank you very much for answering. I think it would be more than 5%. Because FMM has no alternative. Thousands of people even play OSM. It can't even come close to FMM in terms of quality.

You might be right - but I'm basing my expectations upon what I've seen with previous management game products (including those not made by SI). I think a totally 'custom' variant of FM which was made specifically for multi-player might be able to break out of that 'range' - but that would obviously be an even greater undertaking (and far beyond the 5 devs on FMM).

11 minutes ago, 1ht1baron said:

Also, why do you limit the maximum number of leagues on mobile to 5? I use iPhone 15 Pro Max and I believe there will be no problem playing with the more than 5 leagues. Maybe it would be better if you could adjust to select the number of leagues according to the device.

We limit the number of leagues to 5 because for various reasons:
* Playing speed becomes exponentially slower in general when you add leagues. If you're geek-orientated and interested with why this is then consider the following:
Loop around all the teams in the game
    Loop around all the players in the game
        Do something

While obviously simplified, this sort of system exists in the game in a lot of areas. If there are 10 teams and 100 players then the inner code is executed 1000 times. If you double both (20 teams and 200 players) then the inner code is executed 4,000 times, if you triple it (30 teams and 300 players) then it is executed 9,000 times.

If you consider the volume of teams and players in FMM are far higher than the numbers I'm showing then hopefully you can see why this can have a huge impact on the gameplay speed.

As we continually improve the games efficiency and devices get faster we will continue to expand the leagues available (you might not recall but the very first FMM version back in 2012 only had a single league active).

* User Interface complexity
Every league you add into the game adds complexity in terms of the user interface because you have to be able to easily access and get to the information in that league.

* News Item flooding
Every league you add into the game generates news items and its important that we minimize the spam that a user recieves to some extent so they don't get frustrated at having to click through too many itesm.

* Device speeds
We try and keep the game playable and consistent across all devices, as such we tend to slave slightly towards the slowest/worst devices in terms of capability.

To summarize - expect this to improve further in the future when devices/UI-UX/etc. allows ... ultimately one day my aim is to have the entire football world just 'start' as part of the game and for the user to not select active leagues at all* :)

Disclaimer - This is a long-term aim, so please don't expect this any time soon obviously.

While more active leagues would be great i appreciate that the latest version had a substantial increase in included players in non-active leagues and I hope that trend continues in FMM25, it especially makes nation management more interesting but also club management when there are more hidden gems to be found.