Box midfield in 3-2-5 build-up: roles for 8`s and striker

Hello, mates! I`m a big fun of building 3-2-5 from 4-3-3 shape like at the picture below.

Box-Midfield-Tactics-Pitch2-160823-1024x800.jpg&nocache=1

I have no doubts about roles and duties for back 4, DM, and wingers. However, I`m in search for perfect (for my liking) set-up for my 8`s and striker. I want them not only creating threats or scoring but also blending well with other positions. 

PYmolU6.png

This is my current set-up with pretty average Eredivisie team. My thinking about roles for 8`s here: CM (A) because he as quicky moves to AM strata as IWB to DM. BBM beacuse he is more later runner, which is useful for supporting IFB at the first stages of building from the back. Striker is PF (A) because it suits my best player here and he is not so isolated like AF. 

Ususally I play with balanced or positive mentalities, compact mid-block, mixed passing, quick counter-attacks in transition.

Results are satisfying for the team I currently have but nothing overachieving. My 8`s don`t have any high numbers in goals, assists but may be it`s due to their quality or tactical style . PF has 7 goals in 18 matches so far. 

So if anyone have good experience in building the team with box midfield I would love to hear some advices or ideas or just show your successful set-ups for discussion)

Edited by Vladis

4 hours ago, CJ_Randell said:

I've found that the IWB and BBM sometimes get too close in this kind of system. 

Setting the BBM to get further forward seems to help

Exactly. That`s why I use CM (A) on the side of IWB and B2B has PM you mentioned.

Edited by Vladis

8 hours ago, Vladis said:

Exactly. That`s why I use CM (A) on the side of IWB and B2B has PM you mentioned.

Have you tried a Mezzala on Attack rather than a CM. 

They're hard coded to roam and get into half spaces. 

With the BBM also hard coded to roam from position it could create some more dynamic movement. 

The PF-At might also benefit from a more creative role behind him rather than a CM-At who will be focused on making runs into the box. 

2 hours ago, CJ_Randell said:

Have you tried a Mezzala on Attack rather than a CM. 

They're hard coded to roam and get into half spaces. 

With the BBM also hard coded to roam from position it could create some more dynamic movement. 

The PF-At might also benefit from a more creative role behind him rather than a CM-At who will be focused on making runs into the box. 

Yes, I`ve tried that. I haven't noticed any more productive actions from the players in that position, and at the same time the left flank has become more vulnerable to the opposition's counter-attacks. Again, I think this is due to the lack of profilic players for this role. 

I have added PI to my CM(A): roam from position and move into channels to partially replicate the movement of the mezzala. 

But I will probably experiment with MEZ again. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Vladis said:

Yes, I`ve tried that. I haven't noticed any more productive actions from the players in that position, and at the same time the left flank has become more vulnerable to the opposition's counter-attacks. Again, I think this is due to the lack of profilic players for this role. 

I have added PI to my CM(A): roam from position and move into channels to partially replicate the movement of the mezzala. 

But I will probably experiment with MEZ again. Thanks.

One last thing from me. 

I did play a 433 that morphed into a 325 previously and a CF-At was the most productive role I used at striker. 

Might offer more than a PF-At

I've used a combination of roles for this system, but it depends on the personal available and how they interact with the wide players.

For example, if I wanted use Foden in an attacking role, then I use a Mez (A) on the same side a Winger (S), so that it encourages Foden to underlap into the space beyond the Winger. Works vice-verca too.

As mentioned by others, some roles seem to get in the way of the IWB (S) and DM (which I prefer on Defend duty).

The roles I've used were:

Physical players: CM (A) and BBM (S)

Technical players: Mez (S), RPM (S), AP (A), CM (A), Mez (A),

1 hour ago, CJ_Randell said:

One last thing from me. 

I did play a 433 that morphed into a 325 previously and a CF-At was the most productive role I used at striker. 

Might offer more than a PF-At

Good shout. My striker is lacking in dribble and technique but has good physics and decent vision.