What is your favorite save duration in FM?

What is your favorite save duration in FM?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite save duration in FM?

• 1-2 seasons
    • 3-5 seasons
    • 6-10 seasons
    • 10-20 seasons
    • 20 seasons and more

I never tried to pin a number to it, but I love my long games. I've gotten into 40s, and any save abandoned before 10 seasons would feel like a huge failure to me, but why that is? I find it difficult to say, but it isn't limited to this (type of) game. I tend to favor games with no end, or with an end/victory conditions that can be turned off. No other franchise has come close in quite how much time I've been able to sink in there, though.

Immersion is a key factor for me. The other day I was telling my brother that while I love the music in Skyrim, I will still turn it off because without music it feels more like I'm there. Perhaps when trying to pretend to be living a more interesting life than my own, I'd like that life to last a good long while. That's the best explanation I have.

My save duration has got shorter with each version. Partly because I am getting older and have less time to game, but also due to the direction FM has gone since FM 11.

Back in it's glory days once it found it's feet after branching away from CM, I could easily do 10-20 seasons. I used to love trying to break club and player records with my team. I would sign a striker and see if he could become my clubs all time top scorer. Or see wonderkids retire at my club and then see the next generation through. It was great.

Then SI added dynamic league reputation which was brilliant as I could then see if I could build up the standard of the league through dominating Europe with my team. My Icelandic save saw an AI team in my league win the Europa league thanks to me raising the coefficient. That was around 30 seasons.

Sadly since around 2018 onwards, my saves have become shorter and shorter. To around 5 seasons max. I find the game has become tedious to play. So many repative things I am just going through the motions with such as player and press interactions. Even things like end of season review. I just spam the space bar to get through it. All the fluff and bloat that was added to increase immersion is so broken and boring that it actually detracts from it.

I miss the old versions of FM. I just wish they worked on the Steamdeck which is where I do most my gaming. I think only the newer versions work. Not pre FM 12

Edited by trevjim

1 час назад, trevjim сказал:

My save duration has got shorter with each version. Partly because I am getting older and have less time to game, but also due to the direction FM has gone since FM 11.

Back in it's glory days once it found it's feet after branching away from CM, I could easily do 10-20 seasons. I used to love trying to break club and player records with my team. I would sign a striker and see if he could become my clubs all time top scorer. Or see wonderkids retire at my club and then see the next generation through. It was great.

Then SI added dynamic league reputation which was brilliant as I could then see if I could build up the standard of the league through dominating Europe with my team. My Icelandic save saw an AI team in my league win the Europa league thanks to me raising the coefficient. That was around 30 seasons.

Sadly since around 2018 onwards, my saves have become shorter and shorter. To around 5 seasons max. I find the game has become tedious to play. So many repative things I am just going through the motions with such as player and press interactions. Even things like end of season review. I just spam the space bar to get through it. All the fluff and bloat that was added to increase immersion is so broken and boring that it actually detracts from it.

I miss the old versions of FM. I just wish they worked on the Steamdeck which is where I do most my gaming. I think only the newer versions work. Not pre FM 12

How similar! I really regret that I can't take just a few things from fm24 and transfer them to fm10 or even earlier.

I think that in old versions, even without knowing a player's attributes, I could understand his strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, now I don't always see correlation between attributes and how players behave with and without a ball.

Ultimately, the thing I miss most is the "next match only" button when selecting a lineup. This came in fm21 as far as I remember, and I really like it. Everything else is easier to forget.

9 hours ago, Novem9 said:

How similar! I really regret that I can't take just a few things from fm24 and transfer them to fm10 or even earlier.

I think that in old versions, even without knowing a player's attributes, I could understand his strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, now I don't always see correlation between attributes and how players behave with and without a ball.

Ultimately, the thing I miss most is the "next match only" button when selecting a lineup. This came in fm21 as far as I remember, and I really like it. Everything else is easier to forget.

It's funny you say that. I played CM 01/02 last month. Had a blast but it was definitely missing some quality of life improvements that versions since have introduced.  A mix between the two would be amazing 

FM Touch essentially was that. All the good stuff of FM and the bloat all streamline and behind the scenes. Such a shame they got rid of it for PC.

It's quite damming that more and more people are preferring a 23 year old versions more than the current one

I play WAY less than I used to, mainly due to adult life and the fact that it takes far longer to do a season now than it used to. Each new release I fire up a save with my team, Birmingham City, and I get through about 5-6 seasons with them until the new version comes out... rinse and repeat. Should be a fun one with this coming version!

Edited by Jonthedon26