Best system for attacking full backs & wingers?

I’ve inherited a team with great attacking full backs and quite a few wingers/inside forwards. My 1st thought would be to try & create something like Liverpool under Klopp before TAA moved infield, but does anyone have any ideas that may work better? Have not tried that type of style in FM24, which seems to have people focusing on rotations and positional play, & maybe a more possession based plan.

I’m happy for my team to keep possession to a point, but would like to use the pace & quality of the wide players to attack. Also, I’d prefer my striker/s to be the main goal threat.

Whilst I like my team to press I’m not a huge fan of using the ‘meta’ gegenpress tactics, & certainly not looking for anything unrealistic or any plug & play downloads.

3 hours ago, saware said:

I’ve inherited a team with great attacking full backs and quite a few wingers/inside forwards. My 1st thought would be to try & create something like Liverpool under Klopp before TAA moved infield, but does anyone have any ideas that may work better? Have not tried that type of style in FM24, which seems to have people focusing on rotations and positional play, & maybe a more possession based plan.

I’m happy for my team to keep possession to a point, but would like to use the pace & quality of the wide players to attack. Also, I’d prefer my striker/s to be the main goal threat.

Whilst I like my team to press I’m not a huge fan of using the ‘meta’ gegenpress tactics, & certainly not looking for anything unrealistic or any plug & play downloads.

Give a Halfback a go in a 4-3-3 to complement your aggressive wingbacks.

7 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Give a Halfback a go in a 4-3-3 to complement your aggressive wingbacks.

Thanks. How would you go about setting up the other 2 in midfield? Assume their roles would have to be somewhat cautious so I wouldn’t be too vulnerable to the counter?

1 hour ago, saware said:

Thanks. How would you go about setting up the other 2 in midfield? Assume their roles would have to be somewhat cautious so I wouldn’t be too vulnerable to the counter?

A runner, for example a b2b or bwm on support, or even a carrilero. Coupled with a playmaker.

8 hours ago, saware said:

MEZ + BWM(s) is my favorite combo for two 8s! But it depends your system and how good your team is at the end of the day.

If your team is very high quality I would recommend a MEZ + BBM. A good BBM is just hard to find.

If you're running a super aggressive wingback (CWB for example), a CAR can babysit the wingback for you (think Henderson and Trent). If your wingbacks will be the main source of creativity in your system (like w/a traditional Klopp setup) you might consider a BBM + CAR. Your HB should be capable of providing a nice passing range from deep as well.

Alternatively, a 4-2-3-1 can provide nice cover for a system with two aggressive wingbacks. 

Edited by Cloud9

4 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

MEZ + BWM(s) is my favorite combo for two 8s! But it depends your system and how good your team is at the end of the day.

If your team is very high quality I would recommend a MEZ + BBM. A good BBM is just hard to find.

If you're running a super aggressive wingback (CWB for example), a CAR can babysit the wingback for you (think Henderson and Trent). If your wingbacks will be the main source of creativity in your system (like w/a traditional Klopp setup) you might consider a BBM + CAR. Your HB should be capable of providing a nice passing range from deep as well.

Alternatively, a 4-2-3-1 can provide nice cover for a system with two aggressive wingbacks. 

Thank you.

I’m Milan so that may give you an idea of who/what I’m dealing with. Set up using a 433 as suggested with a tweaked version of the wing-play preset. 

Used Theo as a CWB-S on the left with an WB-A on the right, then the HB to drop into the centre of defence.

In the 8 position I tried with a DLP-S on the left & a CAR on the right. Leao was a W-A, whilst on the right was W-S, & asked both to cut inside with ball. 

Up front I alternated between Morata & Abraham as a PF-A.

Started on a balanced mentality, knocked off the overlap on both sides as don’t want to slow the wingers down. Also, I asked them step up with a higher defensive line & prevent the short GK distribution.

Won my 1st game 3-0, then lost 1-0 away to Torino (xG was much better but we just couldn’t finish), & then we were taught a lesson by Inter, losing 2-0. 

Found in both defeats we were outplayed in terms of possession, so I tried to reduce the length of pass & the tempo. Also, I asked the GK to play out of defence.

Would like to stick with the 433 for now but I think I need to control the game a bit better. Been happy enough with the play that I’ve seen, just need more of it. Also, been guilty of missed chances so need to find a way of fixing that.

2 hours ago, saware said:

Thank you.

I’m Milan so that may give you an idea of who/what I’m dealing with. Set up using a 433 as suggested with a tweaked version of the wing-play preset. 

Used Theo as a CWB-S on the left with an WB-A on the right, then the HB to drop into the centre of defence.

In the 8 position I tried with a DLP-S on the left & a CAR on the right. Leao was a W-A, whilst on the right was W-S, & asked both to cut inside with ball. 

Up front I alternated between Morata & Abraham as a PF-A.

Started on a balanced mentality, knocked off the overlap on both sides as don’t want to slow the wingers down. Also, I asked them step up with a higher defensive line & prevent the short GK distribution.

Won my 1st game 3-0, then lost 1-0 away to Torino (xG was much better but we just couldn’t finish), & then we were taught a lesson by Inter, losing 2-0. 

Found in both defeats we were outplayed in terms of possession, so I tried to reduce the length of pass & the tempo. Also, I asked the GK to play out of defence.

Would like to stick with the 433 for now but I think I need to control the game a bit better. Been happy enough with the play that I’ve seen, just need more of it. Also, been guilty of missed chances so need to find a way of fixing that.

If you'd like to keep the 4-3-3 I'd recommend dropping one of the wingbacks to a WB(s). WB(a) + CWB(s) will leave you quite exposed in a 4-3-3 imo. You can tweak it bit depending on who you're facing as well. 

Halfback + wing play styles tend to be a bit more direct...I wouldn't be overly concerned about possession. Keep the tempo up and the directness slider in the middle and you should be good to go. 

On 03/10/2024 at 00:15, Cloud9 said:

If you'd like to keep the 4-3-3 I'd recommend dropping one of the wingbacks to a WB(s). WB(a) + CWB(s) will leave you quite exposed in a 4-3-3 imo. You can tweak it bit depending on who you're facing as well. 

Halfback + wing play styles tend to be a bit more direct...I wouldn't be overly concerned about possession. Keep the tempo up and the directness slider in the middle and you should be good to go. 

Isn't this relative to player skills? With Milan I can see this work vs most Serie A teams tbf

4 hours ago, nugatti said:

Isn't this relative to player skills? With Milan I can see this work vs most Serie A teams tbf

I would recommend making system tweaks to fit each opposition you face and role/duty changes within the matches themselves. 

However WB(a)/CWB(s) + WB(s) is already a highly aggressive system. Leaving gaps in your defence against weaker teams who will likely counter attack and exploit these spaces is not necessarily a benefit.

Note that a CWB will roam while the WB(a) will run to the byline which are very demanding on the players (and fairly easy to get at w/out a double pivot). The double pivot just provides you defensive cover to allow such an aggressive wingbacks without frailty on turnovers. A simple wingback(s) will still offer plenty going forward!

Edited by Cloud9