[FM24] Rick's British Steel

Rick87

image.png.601e2672f2ad1480d768db64700546f3.png

With the release of FM25 not exactly sounding inspiring, with removed features such as international management, I've decided to stick with FM24 and find a long-term challenge to keep me occupied. I've been involved with the British Steel challenge since it first got going over on Sortitoutsi in 2010 and ran the leaderboard for the challenge over there for several years. However, it has been a while since I've had a serious go at it, so here we go.

The premise of the challenge is straightforward, even if completing it is decidedly difficult. The aim is to win every playable trophy in the UK and Ireland. Leagues, cups, the lot.

There are thirty-eight bits of silverware to collect;

England

11.png

Premier League, EFL Championship, EFL League One, EFL League Two, National League, National League North/South, FA Cup, League Cup, EFL Trophy, Community Shield, FA Trophy

Scotland

45.png

Premiership, Championship, League One, League Two, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Challenge Cup

Wales

130672.png

Cymru Premier, Cymru North/South, Welsh Cup, Nathanial MG Cup, Cymru North/South League Cup

Republic of Ireland

129372.png

Premier Division, First Division, FAI Cup, (Munster Senior Cup), (Leinster Senior Cup), Presidents Cup

Northern Ireland

130023.png

NIFL Premiership, NIFL Championship, NIFL Premier Intermediate League, Northern Irish Cup, (County Antrim Sheild),( Steel & Sons Cup), Irish Intermediate Cup, (Mid-Ulster Cup), (North-West Senior Cup)

The challenge thread calls for National League North/South and Cymru North/South to be won separately. But I can't see the point of winning one, just to resign and start over with another club to do the other. Promotions via play-off's will count as a completion. I will be counting one of each as a completion. I also won't be treating the provincial cup competitions in Ireland (shown in brackets above) as mandatory. I realise this precludes me from the leaderboard in the main challenge thread, but I don't care, this is just for my amusement.

I will be starting unemployed with no experience or qualifications, I'm not using any editor date aside from Sortitiousi's Real Name fix and DaveInc's 'Increase Realism' megapack. The in-game editor is prevented.

image.png.f9bc1634f4df51991d98111a280d623f.png

image.thumb.png.a1ef8d12309124cced46391afa2b24da.png

My database has all British and Irish players loaded, I've also loaded all players from top clubs in Europe and South America, as well as current internationals from Asia, Africa, and North America to keep the global game competitive.

Edited by Rick87

On day one, four jobs were available: Havant & Waterlooville, Connah's Quay Nomads, St Albans City, and Athlone Town. None of those interested me much so I holidayed for a few months and applied for work at Finn Harps in Ireland and Peterhead in Scotland. The latter came back with an interview and in due course a job offer.

image.png.1f8079841d557bf654dc49462f638f60.png

As of the sixth of December, it has been a poor start for the Blue Toon in Cinch League Two, they sit ninth out of ten, with their place in the Football League that they have held since their election in 2000/01, in potential peril.

image.png.9c07c8c3a4511956f85e3833efbe374e.png

My first job as manager will be to steady the ship and relieve fears of relegation. The board expects me to guide the club to mid-table safety over the next five months. Finishing above rivals Elgin in the league is important to the fans.

I feel in a similar boat with FM 25 but no doubt ill buy it. 

What does the realism pack do? I'm desperate for some improved AI squad building/selection and a tad more realism for transfer fees. I feel the transfer market has seen a fairly big shift from the various £100m plus deals and values have dropped slightly since Covid.

Good luck with the save

14 minutes ago, danyates8 said:

I feel in a similar boat with FM 25 but no doubt ill buy it. 

What does the realism pack do? I'm desperate for some improved AI squad building/selection and a tad more realism for transfer fees. I feel the transfer market has seen a fairly big shift from the various £100m plus deals and values have dropped slightly since Covid.

Good luck with the save

Thanks mate.

The realism pack tweaks things such as transfer preferences, injury frequencies, and financial power within clubs and leagues. I definitely recommend it. https://community.sports-interactive.com/forums/topic/580924-fm24-increase-realism-megapack-september-update-by-daveincid/

26 minutes ago, Rick87 said:

Thanks mate.

The realism pack tweaks things such as transfer preferences, injury frequencies, and financial power within clubs and leagues. I definitely recommend it. https://community.sports-interactive.com/forums/topic/580924-fm24-increase-realism-megapack-september-update-by-daveincid/

Very interesting will have a deep  dive into this and see what sort of things it can improve. 

image.png.601e2672f2ad1480d768db64700546f3.png

December 2023

My first month in charge of Peterhead has been an exciting one, my team has shown itself capable and resilient, and our poor start to the season seems to have been turned around as we have found form;

image.png.651f6c9c4ceccebbe0874f37e1dcc6ba.png

My first game against Bonnyrigg Rose saw my team come from two goals down to earn a deserved point, we even had a would-be winner disallowed late on. There was more late drama at home to Clyde as midfielder Andy McCarthy slammed home an injury-time winner.

Another comeback against East Fife followed before club legend Rory McAllister scored the only goal against struggling Forfar, on the day he became a record-breaker;

image.png.5bc7f188d097019b75c72ee2342776cf.png 

Rounding off 2023, we had a trip to arch-rivals Elgin, we started badly and were behind after just six minutes, winger Conor O'Keefe was in fine form however as he chipped in with the equaliser and what we thought would be the winner in the 80th minute. Sadly we didn't hold on though as Elgin took what was probably a deserved draw in the last minute.

image.png.8fee87ab9653b632b84fd3dd68e0dfc9.png

Our improvement in form has seen us climb three places, up to sixth, with the play-off places within striking distance;

image.png.54cd75f9cce98649bee31533911ce609.png

And also earned me an award!

Tactically, I've kept things nice and simple, 4-4-2, or 4-2-4 if you like with some very basic instructions. No need to overcomplicate things at this level.

image.png.772f02a3722b625257ec236ccd9e5b7a.png

image.png.0b237396fe7b60ada701f70ae7389b31.png

January will be a big test of our promotion credentials as we take on top-of-the-table Spartans and hopefuls Stranraer and Stenhousemuir. If we are still unbeaten after those three fixtures, then hopes around Balmoor will certainly be peaked.

Edited by Rick87