Hit the road Jack - Jack Britton's Managerial Career

Nine All FM

Jack Britton isn't your typical football manager. He never played professional football, and didn't even grow up a fan of the sport. Instead, he grew up playing organized basketball, and even made it to the Division 2 level in college at University of South Carolina Aiken. However, after meeting his girlfriend Anna, a football player at USC-Aiken, he fell in love with the sport of football. He spent his few free hours between practice and schoolwork watching as much football as he can. After graduation, Anna received an offer to play professionally in Germany. She joined FC Saarbrucken, and Jack decided to start coaching at local clubs. After a few months, he decided that coaching children wasn't his dream, and he would begin the job hunt for a managerial role. Anna supported his decision, suspecting that this decision would lead to them having even less time together. However, she understood chasing a dream, and thus, Jack hit the road...

7a148dde606511eb0287a4bd2cd95b1a.png

"Jack! Jack!" Anna yelled.

"What? Did something happen?? Where's Karl?"

"Nothing happened to Karl, love. The cat's fine, you know he doesn't ever leave the couch."

We both laughed. She kept her hands clutched to her face, as if she physically had to hold back what she wanted to say.

"Well? Are you going to tell me?" I said, still confused.

"I know you told me you would handle the job search, but I couldn't help it. You've got a few clubs interested in you. I mean, like interviews. Like they want you to be their manager!"

"What! I told you I would handle this."

We both sat in silence for a few seconds and then we both laughed again, knowing that her helping me out with my resume and job applications was the least of my worries. To be fair to her, I played College basketball, can speak English, Spanish, and German, and was on the deans list at USCA. I know I have little experience playing football, but I've been studying for a year or so, and I've always been a motivator, especially on the court. I see why clubs are interested.

"Well, where am I headed?" I asked foolishly.

"You're headed to the dining room, they're virtual interviews"

"Virtual? How far did this job search go?"

"Japan and Turkey" Anna said sheepishly.

I rolled my eyes and then picked up the laptop, expecting nothing to come out of this.

Fukushima_United_FC_logo_svg.png.fc61f5f83c10ff5de3d4405776bbe9ae.png30-06-2023_21-44-16_iskenderunspor-logo.png.20a42faa683523aae649f247ad995092.png

In the call: Tomio Yamada, owner of Fukushima, Tano (unknown last name), Fukushima's press assistant and team translator, and Jack Britton, prospective manager of Fukushima.

"We've setup your interview because we believe your academic and leadership achievements are greatly suited to a role in management." Tano, the clubs press assistant translated.

"Thank you. I'm honored to be able to be in this position." I said, trying not to cringe at myself after saying thank you.

"What is your vision for this club? Do you see yourself here in 5 years?" Tano asked, almost afraid to get the words out. It seemed like Yamada's words were much harsher.

"Well, if given the opportunity, I don't see why a club in such a historic city, shouldn't be near the top of Japanese football. I think making it to the J-League isn't unrealistic for this team." I felt myself getting a little more confident. This was like talking to recruiters in high school. Except this was more like an interrogation than an interview.

"Our previous manager struggled to get this team up to Tomio's expectations. How do you believe you can do better with such little experience?" Tano was practically hiding behind his hands while he asked the question.

"I don't see how I could do any worse. This club is heavily underperforming, and a large part of that is due to the uncertainty of the future for the club's highly paid players. Kaito Yamamoto (Goalkeeper, Fukushima) is nearly 40 years old, and isn't going to be a long term option. He's performing well, but at 38, on 2k per week, is he someone you can hang your hopes on? The next highest paid player is Shota Kobayashi (Right Winger, Fukushima), and he's retiring in 5 months. He's played every match this season, and he's aging himself out of the squad. Shun Obu (Centerback, Fukushima) is 30, and is already too slow for the style of football you prefer. To get better results you need players with hunger. These players are nearing the end of their career, and already have proven themselves to be poor performers so far. So why keep paying them like they are our best players?" I feared I had overstepped a boundary, but I was getting frustrated with his condescending demeanor.

Instead of Yamada getting angry, he smiled, and said that was enough for the interview. Tano looked very relieved, and I felt like I failed that one.

Fukushima_United_FC_logo_svg.png.6500b9e33e56b26e29c7af8b82dc1a6c.png

In the Call: Saban Hakan Bolat, owner of Iskenderunspor and Jack Britton, prospective manager of Iskenderunspor.

"Why Turkey, Jack? You can't speak a lick of it, and yet you've applied for my club." Bolat said with a dry tone.

"I'm trying to get started on my managerial career. Your club looks like one with potential, and I'm a young manager. It seemed like a match made in heaven." I said, trying not to insult him.

"Potential, you say? Yes, this club has potential, and I see some in you. A tall man like yourself, you can command a room just by walking in!" He laughed, and I felt myself start to laugh too.

"Anyways, I want to have your word that you will be here to stay. I do not want a short term fix, a band-aid, like you Americans say." He laughed again, and this time, I couldn't bring myself to match him.

"Well, I don't know where I'll be in the next 10 years. I'm a very ambitious person. If I can't bring this club to the top flight of Turkey, I can't promise that I'll stick around and see myself fail repeatedly."

"I like that answer. No promises, just like a politician. Hopefully you will fulfill that ambition, though I'm not sure if it will be with Iskenderunspor, just yet."

I sighed, admitted that I understood his decision, then left the call.

30-06-2023_21-44-16_iskenderunspor-logo.png.eed967f89540c01560fc744c51235091.png

A few days pass, and while I'm watching Anna play for Saarbrucken, I received a call from Bolat.

"Jack! Jack, I've decided to offer you the contract. One year, you prove to me you deserve more, and you will have more. Simple as that."

The phone call ends. He didn't even give me time to accept. He knew what I would say. Obviously, this is too good to be true. My first job as a manager of my own football club.

So, I booked my flight to Iskenderun. I'm the new manager of Iskenderunspor.

30-06-2023_21-44-16_iskenderunspor-logo.png.1239764d6c75bfe30bc9bdd95980d198.png